Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Spartan Girl

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

On 2/20/2018 at 5:44 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I also got mad when Imelda said she still couldn't forgive Hector even after she found out that he didn't really abandon her, he was murdered. I was like, "Forgive him for WHAT?!" Maybe he shouldn't have gone on tour with Ernesto, but how the hell was he supposed to know that his partner/best friend would wind up murdering him?! Hector didn't deserve to die anymore than he deserved getting cut off from his family and nearly fading out of existence for SOMETHING HE DID NOT EVEN DO.

I watched Coco recently and while I agree that the multi-generational music ban was ridiculous, I thought Imelda not being able to forgive Hector was really well done. I mean she hated him for probably close to 100 years at that point and took that hatred beyond the grave. And since she never talked to him she probably built it up in her mind to be even worse. So when she finds out he was murdered it would be super complicated for her (which seems real to me) and a kind of thing that she couldn't instantly let go of. And I think she even comments that logically she knows it wasn't his fault but it is still difficult for her.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I watched Coco recently and while I agree that the multi-generational music ban was ridiculous, I thought Imelda not being able to forgive Hector was really well done. I mean she hated him for probably close to 100 years at that point and took that hatred beyond the grave. And since she never talked to him she probably built it up in her mind to be even worse. So when she finds out he was murdered it would be super complicated for her (which seems real to me) and a kind of thing that she couldn't instantly let go of. And I think she even comments that logically she knows it wasn't his fault but it is still difficult for her.

All true. And despite what she said, she did wind up forgiving him once she had more time to process it. It just annoyed me, that’s all. 

• Like 1

I don’t know if there is a thread for this, or if there should be one, but I’m here to bitch about “Surprise Kevin Spacey”. I decided to watch Heartburn, which is an old Nora Ephron film starring Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson. Both are great in the film. Jack is doing more than just his Joker/Here’s Johnny thing. It’s a solid film.

But there is this scene with Meryl on the subway and this creeper is looking at her, and blows her a kiss. The guy later robs her. And of course, it’s Kevin Fucking Spacey. I’m really enjoying the film, all feeling good and then, oh FUCK. It’s Kevin Spacey, right there, unexpected and unwanted like diarrhea during a birthday party at someone else’s house. 

Fuck off, Surprise Kevin Spacey. Get out of my movies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don’t know if there is a thread for this, or if there should be one, but I’m here to bitch about “Surprise Kevin Spacey”. I decided to watch Heartburn, which is an old Nora Ephron film starring Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson. Both are great in the film. Jack is doing more than just his Joker/Here’s Johnny thing. It’s a solid film.

But there is this scene with Meryl on the subway and this creeper is looking at her, and blows her a kiss. The guy later robs her. And of course, it’s Kevin Fucking Spacey. I’m really enjoying the film, all feeling good and then, oh FUCK. It’s Kevin Spacey, right there, unexpected and unwanted like diarrhea during a birthday party at someone else’s house. 

Fuck off, Surprise Kevin Spacey. Get out of my movies.

Gosh, I'm sorry. I'm honestly torn between sympathizing, sharing your rage, or being perversely amused. I guess there's no reason why I can't be all three.

The only Kevin Spacey movie I'll ever watch again is A Bug's Life, because 

1. It's animated, so I don't have to see his nasty face, and

2. He plays the villain, who suffers a deliciously horrid comeuppance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Gosh, I'm sorry. I'm honestly torn between sympathizing, sharing your rage, or being perversely amused. I guess there's no reason why I can't be all three.

The only Kevin Spacey movie I'll ever watch again is A Bug's Life, because 

1. It's animated, so I don't have to see his nasty face, and

2. He plays the villain, who suffers a deliciously horrid comeuppance.

I love The Usual Suspects. I truly do. And I have rewatched it, but I was prepared, you know? Also, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was just a horrible, horrible surprise to see him in this nice Nora Ephron film. Checking IMDB, Heartburn was his first credited acting role. 

I'm sure there are other things I'm going to rewatch and see other total assholes popping up. Like Armie Hammer was in an episode of Veronica Mars. UGH. 

I understand the perverse amusement though. 😉 I've bitched about this for the last 24 hours and it's now a joke, that's how I came up with "Surprise Kevin Spacey" as the term to explain it. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I understand the perverse amusement though. 😉 I've bitched about this for the last 24 hours and it's now a joke, that's how I came up with "Surprise Kevin Spacey" as the term to explain it. 

Also, your comparing him to diarrhea at someone else's house? Comedy platinum, I'm totally stealing it. 😈 

• Like 6

Everything Namaari did in Raya and the Last Dragon, including and especially having the nerve to say Raya was “just as responsible for Sisu’s death as (she) was.” BULLSHIT. Namaari brought the crossbow, she pointed it at them, and her finger was on the trigger. The fact that she pulled it by accident is irrelevant. 

She might as well have said “How dare you not trust me even though I ruined your life and spent the last couple of years chasing you down and rubbing it in your face?!”

And I just love reading all the hot takes on the internet that actually defend Namaari for all the shitty things she did. One person even had the nerve to claim Namaari was trying to save her people while Raya was just trying to save her dad. What movie was this moron watching? Raya wanted to save EVERYONE that got turned into stone. Namaari and her kingdom just wanted to get the credit for saving the world so that everyone would forget they caused the apocalypse and let them keep all the wealth and power that they stole.There’s a big difference.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I just love reading all the hot takes on the internet that actually defend Namaari for all the shitty things she did. One person even had the nerve to claim Namaari was trying to save her people while Raya was just trying to save her dad. What movie was this moron watching? Raya wanted to save EVERYONE that got turned into stone. 

Damn skippy. Also, here's a thought to those unimaginative nitwits: maybe Raya wanted to save her dad... and the world?!?!? What is with people and their unrelenting either/or mindset?

• Like 3

I still can’t wrap my mind around why Namaari shooting Sisu is in any way Raya’s fault. Can we really blame her for freaking out when the girl who tricked her years ago was about to betray her AGAIN?! And would Sisu have really been able to talk Namaari down if she hadn’t intervened?

As much as I like Sisu, her blind trust in Namaari kind of made me mad too because it came off as dismissive towards Raya’s trauma and justified anger towards her. It was just all “you have to learn to trust everybody even if they don’t deserve it.”

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Every time anyone in the John Wick movies rips on John for going back in “just for a puppy” it sets my teeth on edge. Like, I get that this is a world of trained assassins that think nothing of killing people, so they wouldn't get that worked up over someone killing a dog. But instead of them going “it was just a dog” what they SHOULD have said was: “What kind of sick fuck stomps on a puppy?! Dude, I totally get it. Those guys deserved everything they got!”

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Every time anyone in the John Wick movies rips on John for going back in “just for a puppy” it sets my teeth on edge. Like, I get that this is a world of trained assassins that think nothing of killing people, so they wouldn't get that worked up over someone killing a dog. But instead of them going “it was just a dog” what they SHOULD have said was: “What kind of sick fuck stomps on a puppy?! Dude, I totally get it. Those guys deserved everything they got!”

I haven't seen the John Wick movies, but I tend to be far more angry when anyone hurts animals then people. On screen or in real life.

• Like 3