Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Mabinogia said:

You just made me very glad I never watched Big Daddy! Just WTF?!?!?!

I find it interesting (read: stupid) that in the classic film Woman of the Year, Katharine Hepburn adopts a kid for the wrong reason and is all but pilloried for it, but when Adam Sandler does it in Big Daddy? Awwwwww, he's taking in a tiny human being he is completely unfit to care for to win back his girlfriend!

• Love 5

Every single scene in Rocketman with Elton John's terrible parents made me want to reach into the screen and throttle them. I thought I'd seen my fair share of terrible parents in movies but these assholes take the whole fucking cake.

His father was bad enough, being completely indifferent to Elton/Reggie as a child, abandoning him, and then Elton visiting him as an adult and seeing being affectionate to his second family -- and then he has  the nerve to ask him for an autograph THAT HE DIDN'T EVEN WANT, it was just for a coworker! That part made the guy behind me at the theater said, "What an asshole!"

But that's nothing compared to his mother! This bitch almost makes Tea Leoni's horrible character in Spanglish look human. Again, hard to pick just one part, but I think the most awful moment is when Elton comes out to her over the phone and he's clearly nerves up over how she might take it. Her response? "Oh, I knew. I knew for years. I frankly don't care enough to mind."

I truly hope Elton John can take comfort in the fact that more people love him now than than that [REDACTED] ever could.

• Love 5

Was talking about Keanu Reeves in the MCU thread which got me thinking about Something's Gotta Give.  I guess i was supposed to be supportive of and cheer on Erica/Harry but, holy crap Erica/Julian was a much better pairing.  Especially if you look at Erics choosing Julian as a direct contrast to Harry always dating women under 30.

So yeah total fail Hollywood.  Erica should have ended up with the Hot, supportive, mature, loving Doctor.

• Love 11
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Was talking about Keanu Reeves in the MCU thread which got me thinking about Something's Gotta Give.  I guess i was supposed to be supportive of and cheer on Erica/Harry but, holy crap Erica/Julian was a much better pairing.  Especially if you look at Erics choosing Julian as a direct contrast to Harry always dating women under 30.

So yeah total fail Hollywood.  Erica should have ended up with the Hot, supportive, mature, loving Doctor.

But don't you see? Older women can't date younger men! That's just gross, unnatural, and wrong, wrong, WRONG! I mean, they're all... all... old and stuff, and think of how they're cruelly preventing men from dating hotties younger than themselves! A man's not a man unless he only dates women who graduated from high school less than 5 years ago! Whereas once a woman is over 35, she should just fade into the damn walls because she no longer matters!

I'm so glad I never saw Something's Gotta Give (can't stand Nancy Meyer). For all its flaws, at least in All That Heaven Allows (which was released nearly 50 years before Something's Gotta Give) we're meant to root for Jane Wyman to get together with younger Rock Hudson.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 9
(edited)

One part in Gone Girl that made me angry is when Amy returns and Nick and Gilpin -- Boney's partner and the detective who thought he was guilty just because disliked Nick from the beginning -- are standing outside the hospital room watching her get questioned about the story that Desi "kidnapped" her. Nick points out a rather large hole in her story: how could she stab Desi if she claimed she was tied up all the time?

And Gilpin just gives him a snotty "Can't you just be happy your wife is home?"

Yes, how dare Nick be suspicious and skeptical after he'd been accused and arrested for his wife's "murder" and being harassed by the media for the better part of a month? How dare he be not grateful that his wife miraculously returned and saved him from going to jail/death row? And because you're probably too stupid to tell, Gilpin, that was sarcasm!

No wonder Amy was literally able to get away with murder: because other than Boney, these cops were fucking morons who were quick to accept her story because they didn't want to look bad!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yes, how dare Nick be suspicious and skeptical after he'd been accused and arrested for his wife's "murder" and being harassed by the media for the better part of a month? How dare he be not grateful that his wife miraculously returned and saved him from going to jail/death row? And because you're probably too stupid to tell, Gilpin, that was sarcasm!

But, but, but, he cheated on her! It's not like she could just divorce him or anything, he had to pay!

• Love 7

Ok, got another. The whole stupid love triangle in Pearl Harbor always pisses me off because all three characters suck. The less said about that insipid little twat Evelyn the better.

But Danny's utter lack of remorse over sleeping with his best friend's girlfriend makes me very, very glad he dies at the end. Seriously, when Rafe turns out to be alive, there's no "oh gee, I really messed up here" or "maybe I should let Evelyn decide what she wants to do" before saying anything. It's like he staked his claim when he fucked her and Rafe is a jerk for feeling understandably hurt and upset. And no, he doesn't get a free pass because everyone thought Rafe was dead -- he didn't wait long before deciding to comfort Evelyn with his penis.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ok, got another. The whole stupid love triangle in Pearl Harbor always pisses me off because all three characters suck. The less said about that insipid little twat Evelyn the better.

But Danny's utter lack of remorse over sleeping with his best friend's girlfriend makes me very, very glad he dies at the end. Seriously, when Rafe turns out to be alive, there's no "oh gee, I really messed up here" or "maybe I should let Evelyn decide what she wants to do" before saying anything. It's like he staked his claim when he fucked her and Rafe is a jerk for feeling understandably hurt and upset. And no, he doesn't get a free pass because everyone thought Rafe was dead -- he didn't wait long before deciding to comfort Evelyn with his penis.

The 'manly men fight and drink and then make the decision for the little woman' part of the movie is truly terrible. And then they have Evelyn conveniently get pregnant so that she has an easy decision... which ends up not mattering because the Japanese remake the decision for her.

I always felt like Danny's main emotion after the shock of Rafe returning was 'oh no, he's going to find out I banged his girl, and that might mess up my chances with her.' So much for lifelong friends.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The 'manly men fight and drink and then make the decision for the little woman' part of the movie is truly terrible. And then they have Evelyn conveniently get pregnant so that she has an easy decision... which ends up not mattering because the Japanese remake the decision for her.

I always felt like Danny's main emotion after the shock of Rafe returning was 'oh no, he's going to find out I banged his girl, and that might mess up my chances with her.' So much for lifelong friends.

Exactly! And that part of the movie was bad, but Danny totally deserved Rafe calling him a lousy friend and punching him in the face.

I would have loved it if all three of them died at Pearl Harbor -- or at least had Rafe and Danny realizing that Evelyn was a stupid ninny and totally not worth it -- something Peter Parker and Harry Osbourne similarity SHOULD have realized about that whiny little twat PRETENDING to MJ -- she's not my MJ and never will be -- in that stupid Spiderman trilogy. But I digress...

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 3:08 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Exactly! And that part of the movie was bad, but Danny totally deserved Rafe calling him a lousy friend and punching him in the face.

I would have loved it if all three of them died at Pearl Harbor -- or at least had Rafe and Danny realizing that Evelyn was a stupid ninny and totally not worth it -- something Peter Parker and Harry Osbourne similarity SHOULD have realized about that whiny little twat PRETENDING to MJ -- she's not my MJ and never will be -- in that stupid Spiderman trilogy. But I digress...

I would have loved it of they all died at Pearl Harbor too mostly because I hated all three characters. Danny wasted zero time moving in and sleeping with his best friend's girlfriend. She also jumped in the sack with him. Both men fighting over her, for what? She was a stupid ninny and totally not worth it. Rafe I just hated in general he was such ass. He was smug annoying asshole and despite what they kept saying no he wasn't a great pilot. Or if they actually gave us three interesting people in the beginning.   

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I would have loved it of they all died at Pearl Harbor too mostly because I hated all three characters. Danny wasted zero time moving in and sleeping with his best friend's girlfriend. She also jumped in the sank with him. Both men fighting over her, for what? She was a stupid ninny and totally not worth it. Rafe I just hated in general he was such ass. He was smug annoying asshole and despite what they kept saying no he wasn't a great pilot. Or if they actually gave us three interesting people in the beginning.   

I could buy that Rafe was a better pilot than the others, simply because he had actually seen combat in the Battle of Britain. Danny and the others were effectively peacetime pilots, which is something I think the movie depicted quite well, in the undeniably excellent depiction of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

But this is one of Michael Bay's kinks - super cool, awesome military guy who is just better than everyone (because people having to overcome obstacles ain't Bay's thing).

The love triangle wasn't needed at all. If the movie had set up a compelling love story between two people, then had the guy follow the same path as Rafe, then they could have spent time on Evelyn's journey as a nurse and her friendships with people in Honolulu, giving the attack more of an emotional punch when some of those people were killed. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The love triangle wasn't needed at all. If the movie had set up a compelling love story between two people, then had the guy follow the same path as Rafe, then they could have spent time on Evelyn's journey as a nurse and her friendships with people in Honolulu, giving the attack more of an emotional punch when some of those people were killed. 

This, exactly! There was more than enough drama and story and emotion to mine in the actual attack. It could still be a love story if that's what they wanted but the triangle was so ridiculously soapy with the two men being friends fighting over the same woman. It was so unnecessary and made all three characters unlikable. I always question the writing/directing choices when I end up rooting for the main characters' deaths. 

• Love 3
On 6/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, Danny Franks said:

I could buy that Rafe was a better pilot than the others, simply because he had actually seen combat in the Battle of Britain. Danny and the others were effectively peacetime pilots, which is something I think the movie depicted quite well, in the undeniably excellent depiction of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

But this is one of Michael Bay's kinks - super cool, awesome military guy who is just better than everyone (because people having to overcome obstacles ain't Bay's thing).

On 6/25/2019 at 4:14 PM, Mabinogia said:

This, exactly! There was more than enough drama and story and emotion to mine in the actual attack. It could still be a love story if that's what they wanted but the triangle was so ridiculously soapy with the two men being friends fighting over the same woman. It was so unnecessary and made all three characters unlikable. I always question the writing/directing choices when I end up rooting for the main characters' deaths. 

That's exactly it! There was so much drama we could have had leading up to the attack, so much story and emotion and they decide to waste it all on a love triangle.  Yeah, that's exactly what we want watch when watching a movie about Pearl Harbor, a love triangle. It was bad, it was boring and made all three so unlikable and so unnecessary.  They could have focus on two buddies arriving at Pearl Harbor together and friendships they form with other sailors, one meets a girl, both meet their own girl, life is great and the attack hits working together various people don't know who's alive or dead, maybe the two buddies don't know if the other is alive or dead. The movie only really got good when the attack happened. It was finally happening, the surprise, the shock, scramble to get planes in the air, men dying, the hospital filling up with injured, the nurses trying to treat everyone while not able to save everyone, etc.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Except for the attack scenes all Pearl Harbor does is make me want to watch Tora! Tora! Tora!

And Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo if you continue to the end of Pearl Harbor

• Love 3
On 6/21/2019 at 1:57 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I watched this movie last night with mom.  Mom and I disagreed on ending.  I said she should have stayed with Keanu.  Mom said it would only last five years due to their age difference.  I say I would gladly take 5 years with Keanu.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, tribeca said:

I watched this movie last night with mom.  Mom and I disagreed on ending.  I said she should have stayed with Keanu.  Mom said it would only last five years due to their age difference.  I say I would gladly take 5 years with Keanu.  

I will take 5 years with Keanu Reeves over 5 minutes with Jack Nicholson any day of the week.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
On 6/23/2019 at 4:50 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Word to this entire post. I was baffled as to why I was supposed to want Danny and Evelyn together after what Danny did to Rafe. I chere’s on Rafe kicking Danny’s ass. Then, they name the baby after Danny. WHAT.

• Love 2
On 6/23/2019 at 3:05 PM, Mabinogia said:

Totally agree Spartan Girl. I would like to see a GOOD movie made about Pearl Harbor, but that sure as hell wasn't it. 

I always laugh that their training took place on Long Island but all of the aerial shots were of the brown Southern California hills.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Here's a Pearl Harbor UO. OK, maybe I'm too much of a historian BUT the idea that Evelyn could have gotten pregnant and NOT been immediately drummed out of the US Army Nurse Corp back in WWII was utterly preposterous! Yeah, it's perfectly okay to say now how unfair that would have been to someone who'd been a fantastic nurse, dedicated service person,etc. but that WAS the reality. I mean, if a nurse had gotten MARRIED that was the end of her career as a US Army Nurse regardless of how exemplary her record had been prior. At the very least, there should have been angst about the pregnancy likely being the end of her career and maybe attempting an emotional appeal but what we got was there being no hint of any possible problems that condition would have entailed with the brass. No, I didn't expect it to be a documentary but, really, if one is going to make a movie depicting the struggles and sacrifices of those who were in the thick of battle, at least they should have tried to keep the real consequences of the era intact! 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/13/2019 at 12:46 AM, Blergh said:

Here's a Pearl Harbor UO. OK, maybe I'm too much of a historian BUT the idea that Evelyn could have gotten pregnant and NOT been immediately drummed out of the US Army Nurse Corp back in WWII was utterly preposterous! Yeah, it's perfectly okay to say now how unfair that would have been to someone who'd been a fantastic nurse, dedicated service person,etc. but that WAS the reality. I mean, if a nurse had gotten MARRIED that was the end of her career as a US Army Nurse regardless of how exemplary her record had been prior. At the very least, there should have been angst about the pregnancy likely being the end of her career and maybe attempting an emotional appeal but what we got was there being no hint of any possible problems that condition would have entailed with the brass. No, I didn't expect it to be a documentary but, really, if one is going to make a movie depicting the struggles and sacrifices of those who were in the thick of battle, at least they should have tried to keep the real consequences of the era intact! 

That's okay I spend way too much time wonder about Rafe coming back and being able to go off and bomb Tokyo. To go join the fight in Europe he had to resign from the navy because the U.S. was neutral at time (yes I know we were "lending" military stuff to the Allies) and all those who wanted to go fight in the war had to go resign from the military. He couldn't just come back and rejoin right at his former spot. He'd have to start over. I know Pearl Harbor was just attacked and they needed all the men they could get for the coming war and he had combat experience. But I can never decide whether to let that go or not.

but, really, if one is going to make a movie depicting the struggles and sacrifices of those who were in the thick of battle, at least they should have tried to keep the real consequences of the era intact! 

This is really want I wanted to see and wish the movie had been about whether it was Rafe and Danny at Pearl Harbor and their friends or various nurses and navy. To watch their struggles during the attack, fighting back, not knowing who was alive or dead, and their sacrifices. The shock and the horror. Pearl Harbor was a huge shock and a lot of men died in the attack. Brothers, friends, sons, fathers etc. But didn't really get any of that. Its similar to Titanic as great as Rose and Jack are the sinking is the best part, watching it unfold, the realizing that some are going to die, seeing people dying, the band that was released and one stayed and came back, the women deciding to stay with their husbands. Being in the lifeboat watching helpless as so many people died. For some in the boats as their husbands or sons or maybe both died. The one trying to signal the boat close to them but not picking up. The attack on Pearl Harbor is the best part. The attack, the men scrambling, the hospital flooded. This is what I wanted to see. It would have been nice if the rest was good or led up to it so it was more of an emotional punch.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's okay I spend way too much time wonder about Rafe coming back and being able to go off and bomb Tokyo. To go join the fight in Europe he had to resign from the navy because the U.S. was neutral at time (yes I know we were "lending" military stuff to the Allies) and all those who wanted to go fight in the war had to go resign from the military. He could just come back and rejoin right at his former spot. He'd have to start over. I know Pearl Harbor was just attacked and they needed all the men they could get for the coming war and he had combat experience. But I can never decide whether to let that go or not.

I think the US Navy would have been pretty quick to take back a pilot with combat experience, especially after losing a lot of pilots at Pearl Harbor (though obviously, they lost none of the carrier-assigned pilots). But it would have been nice if the movie had included even one line acknowledging that Rafe basically commandeered a plane he had no right to fly, and gave orders to men he had no right to give orders to.

But I doubt the writers or director really appreciated that he would have had to resign his commission to join the RAF.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I think the US Navy would have been pretty quick to take back a pilot with combat experience, especially after losing a lot of pilots at Pearl Harbor (though obviously, they lost none of the carrier-assigned pilots). But it would have been nice if the movie had included even one line acknowledging that Rafe basically commandeered a plane he had no right to fly, and gave orders to men he had no right to give orders to.

But I doubt the writers or director really appreciated that he would have had to resign his commission to join the RAF.

That is pretty much the story of the surviving Flying Tigers as either the Army or their former service took them back after the contracts to fly for China ended.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

A line acknowledging it would have been great. I'm sure your right the US Navy would have taken him back quickly because of his experience and how many pilots they just lost. But I'm not sure whether the writers or director knew he would have to resign to join the RAF.  

The whole scene in A Place in the Sun with the asshole religious doctor basically guilting Alice, then refusing to give her an abortion.  I know it was 1951, but still.

Plus the way George treated Alice.  And, you know, the murder.

• Love 2

I didn’t realize Place in the Sun was based on a true story.

Yes to poor Alice.  I hope we weren’t supposed to feel sorry for George or Angela.  I always liked the priest and George’s mother basically telling him his deciding not to save Alice was indeed murder.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I didn’t realize Place in the Sun was based on a true story.

Yes to poor Alice.  I hope we weren’t supposed to feel sorry for George or Angela.  I always liked the priest and George’s mother basically telling him his deciding not to save Alice was indeed murder.

In fairness, Angela was also George's victim to an extent. I don't like that she gave him a sappy good-bye before he got executed. A middle finger and a smile would have sufficed.

George gets no sympathy from me, not even a drop. I believe that if he had married Angela, he would have eventually dumped her for someone younger, hotter, and richer. I defy anyone to tell me he wouldn't.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

The sappy goodbye is when Angela got cut from my sympathy train.

Yeah. I really wish Angela had told him to fuck off -- he was stringing along Alice behind her back and using Angela for her money. But she was 17 (still can't believe Liz T was that young) and we can all be stupid when young and in love, even when that person is a scumbag.

• Love 2

Has anyone seen the Honest Trailer for Pearl Harbor

It sums up the bad movie so well.  I love it calling it Michael Bay's Fan Fiction version Pearl Harbor, pointed out there were actual real people Pearl Harbor who did all that stuff and then again with its "And not starring". 

• Love 4

Having watched the rather wonderful, and yet quite disturbing "Spotlight" I was angered to find during the end credits how Cardinal Law resigned from his position and was later "promoted" to a higher position within the Vatican, even though he was complicit in the historical abuse of young children by Roman Catholic priests in Boston.

• Love 5

Well. This seems the best place to post this. It doesn't anger up my blood, but it certainly annoys the ever livin' crap out of me.

I love Grease. Warts and all. And while I disagree with a lot of folks about Sandy's change at the end, that's not what bugs me. It's her fucking attitude toward Danny after the dance on tv. So a drunk Sonny managed to separate her from Danny, so Cha Cha was able to move in and dance with him, which resulted in their winning the contest.

But her ire or jealousy or whatever over her "I still think you went together" just annoys me. Like, SO WHAT IF THEY DID? It was BEFORE he met you, and he isn't cheating on you with her right now, is he?

But I still love the movie.

And maybe this part should go in the Unpopular Opinion thread, but near the end, Danny was willing to give up his Leather jacket and his "gang" for Sandy. He lettered in Track! So it's not as if only Sandy changed for Danny. He changed for her, too.

And I noticed that, only John Travolta and Jeff Conway look anywhere near like themselves in the opening credits. The animation for Olivia Newton-John and Stockard Channing are horrendous.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So a drunk Sonny managed to separate her from Danny, so Cha Cha was able to move in and dance with him, which resulted in their winning the contest.

But her ire or jealousy or whatever over her "I still think you went together" just annoys me. Like, SO WHAT IF THEY DID? It was BEFORE he met you, and he isn't cheating on you with her right now, is he?

I agree about the jealousy, it's always bugged me, too, but I think she was more upset over the fact that Danny let Sonny take her out and then continued to dance with Cha Cha.  It says to me that Danny's ego and need to win was more important than someone sabotaging Sandy's moment to possibly win with him (because until she was taken out, it looked like she and Danny were on track to win). 

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I agree about the jealousy, it's always bugged me, too, but I think she was more upset over the fact that Danny let Sonny take her out and then continued to dance with Cha Cha.  It says to me that Danny's ego and need to win was more important than someone sabotaging Sandy's moment to possibly win with him (because until she was taken out, it looked like she and Danny were on track to win). 

They were on their way to winning! But Danny didn't see Sonny lure/pull Sandy, and by the time he did, she was all the way in the back and that floozy, Cha Cha had sidled her way up and started dancing.

Now I don't think Danny should have avoided her like he and she still had something going; and he should have just told her, yeah, I used to date her or go out with her, and that would have been the end of it. But, whatever.

And I don't know, but I SWEAR, when I was watching this over last weekend on Netflix, I think it was a Director's cut or something, because there were extra scenes in the opening credits. Like of political figures like Martin Luther King, Jr., and some scenes I don't recall from my many other viewings.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree that Sandy's jealousy was irksome and unfounded, even if Danny should have handled the situation differently.  I really hate it when female characters get all squirrely and bent out of shape over their love interest's ex.  Unless the boyfriend still holding a torch for them or whatever, then who cares?

Ross showing up to Tony's funeral in Avengers Endgame when clearly it was meant for only friends and people that fought Thanos -- he did neither -- without anyone calling him out for what he did to Bruce and those stupid Accords makes my blood boil.  And the fact that that he was in the Avengers slideshow at the end when a million other characters deserved to be there instead?  Rage.

And I could have overlooked the hackneyed, rushed, last-minute redemption of Kylo Ren in The Rise of Skywalker IF IT WASN'T FOR THAT FUCKING KISS!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7
On 6/16/2019 at 6:44 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Every single scene in Rocketman with Elton John's terrible parents made me want to reach into the screen and throttle them. I thought I'd seen my fair share of terrible parents in movies but these assholes take the whole fucking cake.

His father was bad enough, being completely indifferent to Elton/Reggie as a child, abandoning him, and then Elton visiting him as an adult and seeing being affectionate to his second family -- and then he has  the nerve to ask him for an autograph THAT HE DIDN'T EVEN WANT, it was just for a coworker! That part made the guy behind me at the theater said, "What an asshole!"

But that's nothing compared to his mother! This bitch almost makes Tea Leoni's horrible character in Spanglish look human. Again, hard to pick just one part, but I think the most awful moment is when Elton comes out to her over the phone and he's clearly nerves up over how she might take it. Her response? "Oh, I knew. I knew for years. I frankly don't care enough to mind."

I truly hope Elton John can take comfort in the fact that more people love him now than than that [REDACTED] ever could.

For me, the worst moment was the restaurant scene, when Shiela not only body-shamed Elton, she said that his success was only based on luck, not talent nor hard work, the latter two of which she knew nothing about. Elton was just a meal ticket to Shiela, showing him off at her convenience. However, Shiela was right about one thing-given her treatment of Elton, she never should have had kids.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5

My Fair Lady: Higgins and Pickering congratulating each other for Eliza's success at the Embassy Ball, acting like she had nothing to do with and more or less completely ignoring her while she was right in the room without so much as a "well done."  Even the servants were buying into that narrative!  One cannot blame Eliza for getting pissed at that.

Also later after Eliza finally stands up to Higgins at his mother's house and asserts her own plan for success (teaching the stuff he taught her with his rival) and saying that she'll do just fine on her own, Higgins applauds her spirit while once again giving himself airs for "creating a woman."

Yeah, remind me why people wanted the "happy ending" again?!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

My Fair Lady: Higgins and Pickering congratulating each other for Eliza's success at the Embassy Ball, acting like she had nothing to do with and more or less completely ignoring her while she was right in the room without so much as a "well done."  Even the servants were buying into that narrative!  One cannot blame Eliza for getting pissed at that.

Also later after Eliza finally stands up to Higgins at his mother's house and asserts her own plan for success (teaching the stuff he taught her with his rival) and saying that she'll do just fine on her own, Higgins applauds her spirit while once again giving himself airs for "creating a woman."

Yeah, remind me why people wanted the "happy ending" again?!

Ugh, I HATE the ending of My Fair Lady.  It's so gross, and I can't imagine how much George Bernard Shaw would've despised it (and the entire musical, for that matter).

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Ugh, I HATE the ending of My Fair Lady.  It's so gross, and I can't imagine how much George Bernard Shaw would've despised it (and the entire musical, for that matter).

Count me as another one disappointed with the ending of My Fair Lady.  I do love the movie overall, but I have such a soft spot for Freddie.  I wish the movie had gone the way of the original play with Eliza and Freddie getting married.  

• Love 6

I don't care if Eliza married Freddie or no one at all... I just wish she had gotten her ass as far the hell away from worthless douchnozzle Higgins as possible!

You will all be happy to know that, yes, George Bernard Shaw loathed the ending of My Fair Lady.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I don't care if Eliza married Freddie or no one at all... I just wish she had gotten her ass as far the hell away from worthless douchnozzle Higgins as possible!

You will all be happy to know that, yes, George Bernard Shaw loathed the ending of My Fair Lady.

And you guys will be happy to know that the current stage version put back the original Shaw ending, with Eliza happily going off into her future.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And you guys will be happy to know that the current stage version put back the original Shaw ending, with Eliza happily going off into her future.

Or watch Educating Rita with Michael Caine and Julie Walters! Im trying to figure out what the hell audiences in the 1910s were thinking when they wanted Eliza to go back to Higgins. I imagine they were upper and middle class and really didn't get why she was so upset at the end. "He made her a lady. She should be grateful!"

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm sure he would've, but he died in 1950, six years before the musical premiered on Broadway; Lerner and Loewe adapted it after Shaw's death.  While he was still alive, though, Shaw had refused to sell the rights to adapt Pygmalion into a musical because he'd had a bad experience earlier with a musical adaptation of another of his plays.

I do love the music, but I just hate how they romanticized this abusive relationship ("relationship" doesn't even feel like the right word to use).  I'd be interested in seeing the recent revival's tweak of the ending.  From what I've read about it, I think I'd like it a whole bunch.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I'm sure he would've, but he died in 1950, six years before the musical premiered on Broadway; Lerner and Loewe adapted it after Shaw's death.  While he was still alive, though, Shaw had refused to sell the rights to adapt Pygmalion into a musical because he'd had a bad experience earlier with a musical adaptation of another of his plays.

I do love the music, but I just hate how they romanticized this abusive relationship ("relationship" doesn't even feel like the right word to use).  I'd be interested in seeing the recent revival's tweak of the ending.  From what I've read about it, I think I'd like it a whole bunch.

Forgive me, everyone, I'm an idiot. I can't always trust my memories and/or sources. This is why you always double check.

• Love 2