Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

• Start Topic

Sorry to list another on such short notice, but I just remembered my eternal hate for Nothing But The Truth, specifically when we find out that Kate Beckinsale's "secret source" was in reality the FBI agent's innocent little girl that she purposely tricked into outing her mom.

All that shit about protecting her sources was a lie.  The FBI never would have prosecuted a child for a mistake.  The only reason she didn't say who it was because she didn't want everyone to find out what a manipulative, opportunistic bitch she really was.

• Love 3

Fast Times at Ridgemont High was a lot like my high school -- scary close in some respects* -- and the school system in my town was pretty highly rated nationally.  I only wish I'd had a Mr. Hand for history.  

*Word flew around my seventh grade class when two classmates started regularly having sex with each other; I knew of a girl in the 8th grade who had to get an abortion; and one girl didn't come to our 9th grade semi-formal because she was told she could not bring her 24-year-old boyfriend.   And now I realize that that was all just in *junior* high. 

• Love 2

After being raped by Uncle Ernie, taken to a prostitute and drugged by his step-dad, exploited by his parents for money once he gets his senses back, Tommy Walker from Tommy still stands by his Uncle Ernie, mother and step-dad. When they're all killed at the end, (Tommy excluded) I cheered because he was finally free of those poisonous people. (Just to be honest, the Broadway musical adaptation makes it ten times worse.)

• Love 2

I couldn't sleep the other night and found myself rewatching Fast Times at Ridgemont High. What the hell was that?

I won't go back and rewatch as an adult again but in one scene a character tells Jennifer Jason Leigh's character to just have sex and it's not a big deal. I want to say this friend said she did at 14?

So Jennifer does and it's with a guy in his twenties. And she's like 15!

Then she gets pregnant by that other complete sleaze of a human being. I thought he was being weird with her bc he had gotten off in point five seconds. No...he's just an asshole. So she has an abortion and brother picks her up and she claims she's hungry and wants to go eat?

I guess as a kid all of that just went way over me, but it disgusted me to watch now.

This isn't like me either. I have low moral standards in entertaintment and outside of hurting kids and animals don't really care what a person does. But damn, I was like this is gross.

I probably was watching the same airing of Fast Times that you were, and none of that made me angry (OK, maybe Phoebe Cates' character acting like such a bitch). It just seemed really honest to me, more honest than other teen high school films. Jennifer's character was searching for something, she thought she would find it in sex, and yeah, it was a huge mistake. I know similar situations in my junior high, I'm sure some kids ruined their lives by sleeping around so much.

• Love 1

Pretty much everything with Julianne Moore's character in Crazy Stupid Love infuriated me, but nothing made me yell a certain four-lettered word at my TV screen than when the babysitter calls her out on her behavior, saying flat out that she didn't want her "slutty money" and Julianne pulls a doe-eyed Bambi act, crying, "What are you talking about?"  And of course her smug little smile when Steve Carrell was making the big unnecessary apology speech at the end when SHE WAS THE ONE WHO CHEATED

Oh God. I have to fast forward through her scenes to get through that movie. The first time I saw it, I was all "...wait...what?" Why is her cuckolded hubby busting his ass to win back this chick? Why does ANYONE think this is ok? Why do the neighbours side with the cheating wife? Why did she get to stay in the house with the kids while he moved into a shitty apartment? Why was he apologizing to her? If she was that miserable, she should have just up an asked for a divorce or, you know, SAID SOMETHING to him in order to work on their marriage rather than take up with another man. It could have been made a little more tolerable if we'd been shown her trying to make some effort on her end to repair the marriage rather than just sit back and expect the man she cheated on to make himself more desirable and then "win her back". The less said about her UTTER FUCKING HYPOCRISY in giving him shit for sleeping with women AFTER they'd separated, the better. Just...ugh. The whole thing made me so angry.

All these posts about The Family Stone are reminding me of how much I hated Meet the Parents. I was appalled to watch Teri Polo's character just sit by and watch as her father utterly humiliated her fiance, mocking his job and everything else. Her dad was a bullying asshole and she DID NOTHING to defend her fiance. I can't believe Ben Stiller's character wanted anything to do with her after that.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 5

I don't necessarily want a full retraction on my Ridgemont High rant, but I want to lessen it. Lots of good points made.

I think it must have been my mood. That happens with me. When I was younger my dad had me watch The Usual Suspects with him, one of his faves. I wasn't in the mood and twenty minutes or so in yelled "this is boring" and left the room. Yeah, the joke was on me for sure when I finally watched it.

So by chance should I wake up at 3 bright eyed and it's on again, I will watch it with an open mind.

eta: Maybe it's now I have a sweet, precious niece who turned ten and thought "no!" It just may have been more honest than I needed that night.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2

I couldn't sleep the other night and found myself rewatching Fast Times at Ridgemont High. What the hell was that?

I won't go back and rewatch as an adult again but in one scene a character tells Jennifer Jason Leigh's character to just have sex and it's not a big deal. I want to say this friend said she did at 14?

Then she gets pregnant by that other complete sleaze of a human being. I thought he was being weird with her bc he had gotten off in point five seconds. No...he's just an asshole. So she has an abortion and brother picks her up and she claims she's hungry and wants to go eat?

I guess as a kid all of that just went way over me, but it disgusted me to watch now.

This isn't like me either. I have low moral standards in entertaintment and outside of hurting kids and animals don't really care what a person does. But damn, I was like this is gross.

yes if you watch Fast times.....as an adult it gives you a much different perspective. My wife and I watched it once a few years back and its much different to see with a few years of retrospect to your teenage years.

However, I still think its very realistic of the times, not just of the 1980s but high school in the 1980s in general, regardless of how bad the situations are in retrospect

• Love 2

Yeah, she sure got around in the movie. #1 guy believed her when she said she was 18?? Boy, she got off easy especially with the brother who could have ratted her out to the mother who already knew about the guy who was way too old for her.

• Love 1

All these posts about The Family Stone are reminding me of how much I hated Meet the Parents. I was appalled to watch Teri Polo's character just sit by and watch as her father utterly humiliated her fiance, mocking his job and everything else. Her dad was a bullying asshole and she DID NOTHING to defend her fiance. I can't believe Ben Stiller's character wanted anything to do with her after that.All these posts about The Family Stone are reminding me of how much I hated Meet the Parents. I was appalled to watch Teri Polo's character just sit by and watch as her father utterly humiliated her fiance, mocking his job and everything else. Her dad was a bullying asshole and she DID NOTHING to defend her fiance. I can't believe Ben Stiller's character wanted anything to do with her after that.

SERIOUSLY.  There's only so much shit a person should take from their boyfriend/girlfriend's family.  I know the saying is you're marrying them, not their family, but that's kind of bullshit.  You have to deal with their family throughout the whole marriage: they should at least be people that treat you with respect, and vice versa.

• Love 9

Thank God other people hate Meet the Parents. The meaner part of me sometimes thinks Greg should have grown a pair sooner and/or not told so many fibs, but, on the other hand, he's meeting his future in-laws, which is always, always a nerve-wracking experience. Lord knows I'd let a few white lies slip. And the way Jack treated Greg was unforgivable. Yes, unforgivable. Never giving him a chance, never giving him the benefit of the doubt, breaking into his luggage, snapping at him for every little slight, mocking his profession as a nurse (I'm not a nurse, but even I'm offended that so many people look down the profession), making him take a lie detector test, and making every snide, passive aggressive insinuation under the sun just to make Greg miserable. For fuck's sake, Jack makes fun of Greg's name! What are you, seven? Grow up! And Jack knew Greg was lying! Why didn't he just sit Greg down, call him out on it, have him explain himself, and then maybe level with him instead of playing a sicko game of cat and mouse?

And word on Teri Polo's character. She just remained a chirpy, oblivious doormat from beginning to end. She should have called Jack on his bullshit earlier (preferably when Greg was around to hear, moron).

Maybe I'm just too soft-hearted, but watching an otherwise decent person be bullied, tormented and mistreated for two hours even though they've done nothing to deserve it, and they never get any of their own back, isn't my idea of a good time. I always hated how in the sequels the humiliation of Greg continues, when it would have been so, so, so much better if Jack had gotten a taste of his own medicine.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 9

SERIOUSLY.  There's only so much shit a person should take from their boyfriend/girlfriend's family.  I know the saying is you're marrying them, not their family, but that's kind of bullshit.  You have to deal with their family throughout the whole marriage: they should at least be people that treat you with respect, and vice versa

For me, it's not even that his future father-in-law was a douchebag to him (though it was shitty of him); it was that his future wife didn't say a fucking word. SHE'S the one he's marrying and yet she sat by while he was eviserated by her father. Not okay with that at all. You can minimize your exposure to in-laws if they are assholes. If your fiancee is an asshole, you should call off the wedding...

• Love 7

Another example of a woman letting her snobby parents treating her husband like shit was in The Vow.  The fact that she had amnesia and didn't remember him was no excuse.  And I hated how she didn't seem to blink an eye when her ex was bragging to Channing Tatum about she was going to sleep with him eventually, and only upset when Channing Tatum punched him in the face.  Yes, she probably didn't know about the circumstances, but still.

I watched Law Abiding Citizen the other night, and man did I hate Jamie Foxx's character.  He willingly made a deal that got the murderer of Gerard Butler's family off because he didn't want to risk losing his case and tarnishing his perfect track record.  Yes, some justice is better than none and I certainly don't condone Gerard Butler's character for going psycho on everyone, but that wasn't justice.  And the fact that Jamie Foxx never acknowledges that it was a bad decision throughout the whole film is infuriating.

• Love 2

The characters of Elliot and Holly in Hannah and Her Sisters piss me off to no end. Elliot, for being a slimy, cheating douchebag who cheats on Hannah… with her sister Lee! Elliot never, and I mean never, feels so much as a pang of guilt, and even has the unmitigated balls to blame Hannah for his infidelity! He nastily accuses her of "not having enough needs" (only in Woody Allen's universe can "not having enough needs" be considered a character flaw)! To Lee's credit, she breaks off the affair, but I wish Hannah could have found out, so she could have the satisfaction at getting rightfully pissed off at Elliot, throwing him out on his ass, and reclaiming her life.

And I hated whiny, self-indulgent, immature, ungrateful dilettante Holly, who shamelessly mooches off Hannah, rides on her coattails, never once tries to return a favor, and actually gets huffy when Hannah politely tries to refuse loaning her $2,000 (this was 1986, so adjust that bad boy for inflation) to pursue a writing career, and how does she repay Hannah's kindness? She bases a play on Hannah and Elliot's marriage! Airs her sister's dirty laundry without even asking permission!

And the worst thing? The movie is clearly on Holly and Elliot's side! Hannah is framed as being somehow in the wrong, even though she ought to be considered for sainthood! WTF?! 

• Love 4

The only time I ever got seriously pissed was at the end The Woman in Black. I actually called the ghost an ungrateful bitch. Out loud. In a theater. Daniel Radcliffe's character tried so hard to help the ghost find closure by recovering her son's body and burying it with her and in thanks she kills him and his son. 

I guess she shared notes with the ghost from The Ring. I don't understand why she still wanted to kill children. My only consolation is that Daniel and his family are happy together and she is still a bitter crusty old lady for all eternity.

Edited by BatmanBeatles
  • Love 1

Another example of a woman letting her snobby parents treating her husband like shit was in The Vow.  The fact that she had amnesia and didn't remember him was no excuse.  And I hated how she didn't seem to blink an eye when her ex was bragging to Channing Tatum about she was going to sleep with him eventually, and only upset when Channing Tatum punched him in the face.  Yes, she probably didn't know about the circumstances, but still.

Yeah, I don't think they did a good job of balancing this out and Paige (McAdams) came across as unsympathetic at times, which clearly wasn't the intent.  I understood that she was looking for anything familiar from her old life, hence going back home, hooking up with her douchey ex-bf.  But Paige acted like her marriage didn't exist.  It got to the point that her doctor told her that she couldn't just ignore her husband and the life they built together.  What really bugged me was that everyone acted like Leo (Tatum) had manipulated or forced Paige into marrying him, because the person Paige had been with her family was so different.  And Leo could've pulled a fast one by telling her the truth about her father's infidelity to win her back, but he didn't want to hurt her that way.

• Love 3

Seriously, nobody in her family other than her sister even acknowledged Leo was a nice guy in a horrible situation.  They just automatically assumed he wasn't good enough for Paige.  And they seemed to care that lying/brainwashing Paige about her dad's affair was a terrible thing to do. 

Honestly, after the way Paige treated Leo like a complete non-entity throughout the whole movie, I didn't think he should have just automatically jumped on her whole "let's go out on a date even though I haven't spoken to you in six months" crap.  But of course there always has to be a Hollywood ending.  Whatever.

• Love 4

Jack Nicholson as the Joker

Danny Devito as the Penguin

Michelle Pfeiffer as the Catwoman

Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze

Jim Carrey as the Riddler

Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy

Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face

and so on

(I would add George Clooney as Batman, but by George Clooney I was so freaking numb it didn't matter anymore)

The Batman rubber suit, from Keaton to Bale, to what looks like Affleck will be wearing.  You're making a movie about a comic book character who's been wearing basically the same skin-tight fabric costume for 50 years -- put him in a fucking fabric costume.   Is it that difficult to be true to the comic?

The Batman growl.

Joseph Gordon Levitt as "Robin"

Jamie Foxx in anything.

Quentin Tarantino acting in his own films.    Amazing his head fits the frame.

• Love 2

Thank God other people hate Meet the Parents. The meaner part of me sometimes thinks Greg should have grown a pair sooner and/or not told so many fibs, but, on the other hand, he's meeting his future in-laws, which is always, always a nerve-wracking experience. Lord knows I'd let a few white lies slip. And the way Jack treated Greg was unforgivable. Yes, unforgivable.

I find Meet the Parents so utterly mean-minded and gross I can't even express how appalling I think it is. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who doesn't like it. Partly it's just the style of humour -- I've never been one for the kind of jokes that make you wince as much as laugh. The physical cruelty inflicted on Greg just makes me squirm. And Jack is straight-up abusive. It gets to the point in the first movie that I actually felt like no one told De Niro he was appearing in a comedy. I'm pretty sure De Niro is acting in a different movie -- one that ends with everyone dead. 

ETA: On a different note, does the title (or subtitle) of a movie count as a moment that can angry up the blood? I thought the third (and blessedly final) installment of The Hobbit was to be subtitled There And Back Again. (Did I just imagine that?) But apparently The Battle of the Five Armies is what they're going with. Here's the thing: Nowhere in the book is the battle called "the Battle of the Five Armies." Tolkien called it "The Battle of Five Armies" consistently. Only one "the."

The damn movies are so bloated and mistakenly epic in tone that they should carry the disclaimer "LOOSELY based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien," anyway. Please don't make me hate your movie from the title onwards, PJ.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

Granted, The Dark Knight wasn't much of a film anyway, but having Selina (the person who lured him to his almost murder out of her own self-interest) and Bruce end up together as some kind of fucked up "Happily Ever After" ensured I'd never watch it again. 

• Love 5

Granted, The Dark Knight wasn't much of a film anyway, but having Selina (the person who lured him to his almost murder out of her own self-interest) and Bruce end up together as some kind of fucked up "Happily Ever After" ensured I'd never watch it again. 

The fact that Nolan thought a forty five minute long (estimate) sequence of Bale trying to climb out of a pit and falling down a lot, only to laboriously climb back up again, was a good idea is one of the things that really killed that movie for me. Amongst many other things.

'Hey, remember when Daddy Wayne said some shit about falling so you can get back up? Let's smash the audiences' faces in with this complete anvil of a scene, just to make sure they Get It'.

Let's not even talk about the moment where I burst out laughing uncontrollably, the point at which the movie was beyond salvation: Bane speaks.

• Love 4
Let's not even talk about the moment where I burst out laughing uncontrollably, the point at which the movie was beyond salvation: Bane speaks.

Bless Tom Hardy's heart, he did his best, but his Bane voice? It brought to mind W.C. Fields trapped in a well. I kept waiting for him to say "Godfrey Daniel!"

A valid complaint, to be sure, but I just see it as like attracting like. Y'know, Bruce is f***ed up, Selina is f***ed up, so, um…. true love wins, I guess?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

I know what you mean, but I think Selina could have been damaged without being directly involved with Bruce's almost murder. If the genders were reversed, would it even be a question of "true love"? If Bruce had lured Selina into a trap to get the crap beaten out of her, her back broken, only to eventually end up together, would most people really think, "Well, they were both damaged people, so it makes sense." 

Tom Hardy's voice as Bane bothered me less than the fact that he was so damn short.  I respect him as an actor, and he obviously bulked up for the role, but he's a bit lightweight to be a live-action version of Bane.  He never came across as menacing. 

• Love 1
On a different note, does the title (or subtitle) of a movie count as a moment that can angry up the blood? I thought the third (and blessedly final) installment of The Hobbit was to be subtitled There And Back Again. (Did I just imagine that?)

No, Sandman, you didn't imagine that.  PJ decided There and Back Again didn't sound exciting enough.  You gotta give it a juicy, rousing title to bring in the boys.  (I completely agree with your assessment.  Bloated indeed.) 

• Love 1

Andrew's abusive dad in Chronicle made me so very angry.  Bad enough him beating up his son, but to grow through the whole movie with the whole "I'm taking care of my dying wife" martyr act....and then later IGNORING said dying wife gasping in pain while snooping around in his son's room just to get another excuse to beat him up?  What a hypocritical asshole!  Andrew's friend shouldn't have stopped Andrew from killing him.

• Love 4

My people! I couldn't stand how Teri Polo's character took forever to call her father out on his shit.

Guess Who posses me off. The Guess Who's Coming To Dinner remake with Bernie Mac.1st, how is your family just now meeting your BF after he proposed? I don't get that. I'd probably not speak to my kids for a while if they showed up with a fiancé/fiancee. Then there's a scene where Ashton's character gets dumped on basically for no reason. I remember watching with my mom and BF. I said I don't like this movie after watching that scene. I couldn't believe he came back and apologized. F that!

I'm sure there are other moments from movies but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

• Love 1

As long as we're talking about stuff that made us mad in the Batman movies, then ladies and gentlemen of PTV forums, I bring to you the case of Rachel Dawes.

I couldn't fucking stand her.  Bad enough that she was played by Katie Holmes, ruining what was almost nearly perfect casting.  But I think if she were played by anyone else, I would have hated her anyway -- I only tolerated her slightly more when Maggie G took over.  I hated how in Batman Begins she was so pissy about Bruce not contacting her that he was back from his long absence from Gotham.  She had no right to be upset when the last time she saw him, she deliberately ditched him in front of a mob get-together!  Even she was upset that he almost killed Joe Chill, that's still a shitty thing to do.

And the whole "I can't be with you until you're not Batman anymore" shit.  If she couldn't handle him as Batman, fine, but the fact that she added "Maybe we can be together when you're done" makes it feel like she's stringing him along.  She was definitely stringing him along in The Dark Knight; to give her credit, she did genuinely love Harvey Dent, but she should have just been straight with Bruce from the beginning without giving him the whole "Don't make me your only hope for a normal life."  Well then don't make promises you can't keep, bitch!

I'm sorry but the fact that this useless, self-righteous, whiny twit was the reason why Bruce became a recluse for 8 years and drove Harvey Dent crazy enough to want to kill an innocent child is just mind-boggling.  Dudes, she wasn't worth it!

Say want you want about Selina Kyle, but I'll still take her over Rachel any day of the week.

• Love 4

I agree about Rachel Dawes, but I've said for years that the Nolan men have no idea how to write women, particularly as romantic interests.  I think the only female character I found interesting and likeable, of the several movies I've seen, was Hilary Swank's character in Insomnia.  That said, Rachel has a couple of things up on Selina Kyle in that, as far as I recall, she didn't deliberately lure him into a situation where he'd be killed, and she at least knew Bruce for more than 5 minutes before she was a romantic interest.   

What's insane to me is that Christopher Nolan apparently wrote the role specifically for Katie Holmes.  Really?  For one, she and Christian Bale had negative chemistry, and secondly, she's not really known as a beacon of acting.  She stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the actors.  Maggie Gyllenhaal did a better job, but to your point ribboninthesky1, it's just not a very well written role.

• Love 5

I'd have to disagree. Not that the Rachel Dawes character jumped off the screen at me in either movie, but I thought Holmes' portrayal was a more fleshed-out character than Gyllenhaal's. For all the agency she had in The Dark Knight the Joker might as well have set her up to be killed via spring-loaded refrigerator.

• Love 2

Everything Keanu Reeves did in The Devil's Advocate pissed me off.  He knew his clients were guilty, and he didn't give a shit as long as he won.  Even his poor wife was shoved into the background in favor of his own personal gain. His self-justifying rant about to the Devil towards the end -- "I'm a lawyer!  I win!" -- was unbelievable.   When the Devil himself tells you that you're an asshole, you know you have problems.

• Love 4

Everything Keanu Reeves did in The Devil's Advocate pissed me off.  He knew his clients were guilty, and he didn't give a shit as long as he won.  Even his poor wife was shoved into the background in favor of his own personal gain. His self-justifying rant about to the Devil towards the end -- "I'm a lawyer!  I win!" -- was unbelievable.   When the Devil himself tells you that you're an asshole, you know you have problems.

If you are into podcasts at all, I highly, highly suggest you listen to the Devil's Advocate episode of How Did This Get Made.  I think you'll find some like-minded people...

As we're at the start of the Christmas season, let me bring up, Christmas with the Kranks, the most offensive holiday movie since Santa Claus vs. the Martians.  It is a valentine to religious oppression and is absolutely disgusting.

I think the most offensive Christmas movie is Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas.

• Love 10

As much as I like Silver Linings Playbook watching Pat pathetically try to get his wife back made me angry.  She cheated on him in the shittiest way: he walked in on her screwing another guy in their house to their WEDDING SONG.  And the other guy had the balls to tell him to leave.  That is just low.  And I hated how all the neighbors/coworkers treated Pat like a pariah because he beat the living crap out of the other guy.  I know it was technically wrong, but ANYONE would have probably done the same, bipolar disorder or not!

• Love 5

The Counselor(2013)

The EPIC stupidity, of the Protagonist, his Fiancee, Westray and Reiner.

Once shit went left with the Drug shipment.  

Is this movie the piece of shit waste of time that had Cameron Diaz rubbing her naked lady parts to orgasm all up on that dude's windshield while he watched from inside the car? Because...yeah. I thought I had already checked out of this crappy movie but then I saw that, got angry, but managed to talk myself off the ledge and back into my nap.

Edited by NoWillToResist

I didn't mind The Family Stone because I didn't get the impression that I was supposed to agree with the Stones.  I think they were purposely shown as self-congratulatory and hypocritical.

What I absolutely hate are movies that glorify criminals, where I get the sense that I'm supposed to be rooting for them.  Two examples are Point Break and Set It Off.  I wanted Patrick Swayze to rot in jail, not go out in a surfer's dream wave like some misunderstood knight on a quest.   The women in Set It Off made stupid choices, but were supposed to be sympathetic?  YMMV.

I hate with a passion the scenes in movies when the villain cheats to win the game/race/whatever and doesn't get called out for it. You see the villain with the trophy, but it is all okay because the hero learned a valuable lesson, or you see the hero dig down and win regardless of the cheating earlier in the race. Where are the refs? Why isn't the villain being disqualified? Drives me nuts.

• Love 1

Entertainment Weekly had an article debating the merits of The Family Stone and the person that didn't like thought MEREDITH was the worst character on the show.  Not the family that were so unspeakably rude to her, not the boyfriend that threw her to her wolves, but MEREDITH.  Was this person watching the same movie we were?!!!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

Every year I watch It's a Wonderful Life and every year I get more and more pissed off by two things:

1. Potter gets away with stealing $8000.

2. Harry sexually harasses the Bailey's housekeeper and everyone laughs it off. I hope Annie actually did beat him with a broom offscreen. Like, seriously beat him up.

SpartanGirl, I hate the family in the Family Stone so much it's not even funny. Especially the Rachel McAdams character. I'm genuinely pissed that she gets a nice boyfriend at the end of the movie.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

Entertainment Weekly had an article debating the merits of The Family Stone and the person that didn't like thought MEREDITH was the worst character on the show.  Not the family that were so unspeakably rude to her, not the boyfriend that threw her to her wolves, but MEREDITH.  Was this person watching the same movie we were?!!!

I'm willing to bet that particular writer is also one of those people who think Gaston from Beauty and the Beast is a misunderstood, tragic hero and that Belle was a stuck-up bitch for not giving him a chance.

• Love 4

He does call out Dermot Mulrooney for proposing to her sister.  You do wish SJP could have had a moment like in The Aviator when Katherine Hepburn takes Howard Hughes to her parents' and they're these insufferably smug liberal bohemians  who are either disregarding and disrespecting Hughes and finally Hepburn's mom says "We don't care about money here." and Howard says "That's because you have it."

I heard somebody on the board say they can't stand Rachel McAdams because of this movie, which is a shame because she's fantastic whether being sympathetic(The Notebook, Red Eye) or not(Mean Girls). The movie does however make me forget I like Diane Keaton. I have to watch Baby Boom or First Wives Club to remember!

• Love 1

How did I miss this thread for so long! My people!! I was ENRAGED by The Family Stone, lol. My poor sister thought it would just be a fun little movie for us to watch, and I tried not to be bad about it (I'm sure I've made her watch movies she couldn't stand!), but wow. They were so freakin' mean to her and she was just flailing so quickly after arriving. Screw that whole family and their fake as hell welcoming/accepting/open-minded/holier than thou BS. ARGH!

Dottie dropping the ball at the end of A League of Their Own. Kit shouldn't have been rewarded for being a whiny brat.

Again, my people! Where have you all been all my life??? I'm hard pressed to think of another movie I love soooooo much, that I can't bring myself to watch the end of (well, I skip the game and go back to the Hall of Fame ceremony). I've never doubted for a second that she dropped it on purpose, and it's just so unearned as Kit's big heroic moment. Actually, now that I think about it, I kind of don't like Kit still getting the "win," so to speak, at the HoF ceremony, where she shows up with a big, happy, supportive family, after we saw Dottie basically get put on a bus by her daughter in the opening. Oh well. Such a good movie that wound up somehow confused about who the real heroine of the story was.

Also the scene in Spanglish when Tea Leoni tells her husband that she cheated on him...

Tea sure was fully committed to the un-likability of the character. I thought her moment with the daughter and the too-small clothes was worse though.

Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel, I don't need to choose a moment because his entire character in that movie pissed me off.

From the very first trailer, perhaps? ("Maybe.") And what ultimately happens to him and why/how is beyond ridiculous.

I also grind my teeth into powder just thinking about the aftermath of that little demon-child Briony's lie in Atonement.

At least I think she's one who we're SUPPOSED to grind our teeth over (like the bullies in Carrie, as someone else mentioned). Her "atonement" literally could NOT HAVE BEEN LAMER.

I was appalled to watch Teri Polo's character just sit by and watch as her father utterly humiliated her fiance, mocking his job and everything else.

This might make me weird, but the thing about Polo's character that always bothered me the most -- not the "oops, that's my ex-fiance!" -- was not waking Greg up while the rest of family was having breakfast. She just vacantly says that she thought he'd want to sleep in, and I just want him to THROTTLE her, lol. I don't know why. The rest of the movie doesn't bother me more than I find it funny, but yes, she didn't do anything to remotely help him at all.

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 1