Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Judge Match

Tara Ariano

I loved it too.  It was great seeing the judges just be themselves.  I've always liked Glenn despite his horrific grooming habits but I would never have guessed he has cats.  Very endearing.  I liked all the creations but I thought Glenn would win for the horse.  I hope Face Off does this again next season.  Depends on how traumatized the judges really were I guess. 

With two cats being the center of his universe, I would have thought Glenn would pick up on some of their grooming habits - or maybe he has (licks his hands and slicks back his hair) - or maybe the cats groom Glenn.  I kid, Glenn is one of the people that reinforced the notion that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

And now we know why the atmosphere of this show is so unlike other competitive reality shows - it's the personalities of the judges. I loved how stoked they were about each other's work, so complimentary and supportive. And even Glenn showed us he's not the cartoon he presents himself to be. Anyone who loves animals is more than OK in my book. Great show. I hope they do it again.

Imagine any other reality competition show having the judges compete against each other.  Top chef may be okay, depending on which judges participated.  Project Runway would be horrible, as would American Idol (original judges).

Their editing always gives away too much.  They always show the person eliminated or the person who comes through to win or both in confessionals at the beginning of every episode.  Nice show but their editing totally sucks.

True, but I prefer this to the shows that try so hard to make the winner or loser a surprise that the viewers can't figure out why someonewon or lost.  And there doesn't seem to be an in-between in tv. 

• Love 1

Just when you think this show can't get any better, Glenn turns out to be secret kitty lover!

Really excellent work from everyone involved. It was fun seeing the brute squad of former contestants, as Monty put it. I liked hearing that they were working on some major projects. And I loved seeing the judges strut their stuff while still keeping the terrific Face Off mix of creativity and good vibes.

Best reality show ever!

• Love 2

This was such a great viewing experience. Loved every second of it.

I have to say as incredible as Laura is at the actual application, Ve gave her a Master Class on this in how to elevate even from that.

I disliked Neville's Bishop, but liked the Pawn a lot. Glenn's Horse was by necessity stiff, but I guess making a Knight there weren't many options. Ve's creations were both pretty much perfect. So I can't say I really agree with the verdict--the Pawn was really great, but not enough on it's own.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I try not to snark on Glenn's looks, but for the love of God, brother, put your jacket back on! (He looked fat, right?

Glenn is what used to be called "barrel-chested". I think his shape is nice; I like bigger guys.
  • Love 3

Why is it that I have no memory of Wayne ever competing on this show? Can someone remind me of something memorable that he did in his season?

He wasn't that memorable(outside of being a hottie), he was basically the season's bridesmaid as he got second place in 6 out of 12 episodes and only got in bottom once. Though season 4 was a bit of a odd one of a season since Kris and Anthony won all but one episode and it had probably the most obvious talent gap between the finalists(Anthony, Kris and Wayne) and the rest of any season(I mean the top 8 included Autumn, Meagan, Eric Z and House). His specialty was making big impressive sculpts/fabrications with tons of cool little details that he would then run out of time to detail in paint.

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said.  This was the best episode ever and just underlined all the great lack of bullshit that makes FaceOff such a great show.  And I thought I couldnt' love these judges any more. 

Imagine any other reality competition show having the judges compete against each other.  Top chef may be okay, depending on which judges participated.  Project Runway would be horrible,

Top Chef would probably be pretty good.  Padma and Curtis both can cook, despite appearances, as I believe can Gail - but Tom would still kill them all because he knows how to work in a kitchen.    Project Runway, though, would be AWESOME.  I'm pretty sure neither Heidi nor Nina could so much as sew on a button and I"m also betting they'd both be muleish hardheads who'd find it hard to work on a team. 

• Love 1

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said.  This was the best episode ever and just underlined all the great lack of bullshit that makes FaceOff such a great show.  And I thought I couldnt' love these judges any more. 

Top Chef would probably be pretty good.  Padma and Curtis both can cook, despite appearances, as I believe can Gail - but Tom would still kill them all because he knows how to work in a kitchen.    Project Runway, though, would be AWESOME.  I'm pretty sure neither Heidi nor Nina could so much as sew on a button and I"m also betting they'd both be muleish hardheads who'd find it hard to work on a team. 

Top Chef wouldn't rely on using Gail or Padma.  Curtis, maybe.  But they have reoccurring judges, like Puck, Ripert and Lagasse, even if they don't go near the ones who have been contestants themselves already on Top Chef Masters (like Acheson).

Heh.  It would almost be funny (but more sad) to see poor Stone-face go up against any of those others, actually.  

Now I have a crystal-clear image of Glen, pushed back in a recliner with 2 kitties on his lap.  They're head-butting his chin and pushing their butts up in the air while he scratches them both.....he's smiling and making those "Lovin'MyKitties" murmurs...

I can never take his frowning or criticism too seriously, because now we KNOW him!  *LOL*

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5

Well, that was just delightful.

This show is always at its best when playing up the camaraderie and mutual respect between the contestants, and this had that times 10.  If I was picking the winner, I'd have given it to Ve, but I didn't think there was a loser out of them.

Like everyone else, my affection for Glenn went through the roof with the revelation about his cats, and how he kept going out of his way to compliment Wayne and Laura.  He's welcome to bring his kitties over to my place whenever he'd like, and he can even wear his Riverboat Poker Dealer outfit and I won't make fun of him.

I also think it was nice that one judge didn't bogart two of the winners for his/her team.  I've often thought that if Laura and Anthony were to go into business together, they would end up ruling the known universe, and that just would have unfair to the other judges.

All in all, it was just a wonderful hour of watching the judges (and McKenzie, Lois, and Mr. Westmore) get just as goofy as the contestants.  This show works best when everyone is having a good time, and it was clear everyone was having a great time.

• Love 7

This episode was absolutely glorious!  I loved every single thing about it, and the only thing I would change would be to make it 2 hours long instead of 1.

I never had much of an opinion about Glen before, and now I completely adore him.  I mean, ADORE.  I want him to come have dinner with us, and we can talk about how great animals are, and discuss how much we loved his chess pieces and genuinely wanted them to win because they were so good and not just because we loved his charity the most.  I also am not a tattoo person, because I've seen so many that are just dumb and not well thought out or well executed - and I live in Georgia, so I have seen more than my fair share of women with butterflies and thorny roses on their chests, and men with crosses and anchors and the Playboy bunny and tribal arms at the beaches I frequent.  But in Glen's case, I would really love to have a chance to look at his, because I'm guessing they are true art, meaningful and worth seeing.

Neville's were my least favorite, but I can't be upset about anyone winning anything here because the whole thing from top to bottom was absolutely delightful.

• Love 4

As much as I loved seeing Glen let his hair down (or, rather, put his back) I really enjoyed watching Ve work. She seemed fun, focused and fabulous. I like her criticisms and praise when she's a judge and she did not disappoint in the workroom. Love her.

And I loved Neville. "Face Off is haaaaarrrrrd." HEE! Love him. Such a gorgeous smile.

Glen, you're awesome too. His look of confusion when Wayne walked by with the heavy molds and his mimicking of it (all very nice) was awesome.

• Love 5

I suspect the judge;'s show was taped before the current season started.

Bingo. There's no reason at all to assume any chronological association with the current season, other than Lois being present, and Lois could have been around either before the season was shot, or for that matter after (remember, the actual season we're seeing now was probably shot many months ago).

Even if it was shot during the middle of this season, there's no saying it was shot exactly in the place it's airing. Ergo, showing the contestants might reveal future eliminations, or if there are more of them around, conflict with our sense of who's still in the competition or not.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

Adding my praises too... this was exciting and fun, and, wow, werent those "figurines" absolutely amazing!

Those eyes on the Queen, in the context of the mask, were just so revealing, I could see her whole character so clearly. Individually, she was my favorite make up, and I am glad Ve stayed true to her original concept.

Neville's was the win for me as well, because of the complementarity of the pieces, they looked like strange, alien chess pieces. They were distinct, but there were design choices tying them together, besides the back story. And since they were also black and white (the only pair out of three that kept that chess "rule"), I could imagine them in opposite colors quite easily. I could also totally imagine many other chess pieces done in the same manner, and someone playing a game using them.

Glenn's were also cool, but if I didnt know they were chess pieces, I would have thought they belonged to a fantasy movie or similar. Ve's pieces I liked individually, but they did not have too much visual coherence.    

Such a great show. 

• Love 1

I would ding Glen just a bit because his knight was so much bigger than his king, and that's not the way actual chess pieces are (that I'm familiar with). The discussion was pretty much 'Wayne can do huge sculpts, I'll have him do a humongous horse's head'.

Considering that McKenzie announced in the first episode that 'This season is all about life and death!', has anyone else noticed that they only bring that theme out when they want to? Like, this is the first time since that first episode?

I don't feel that Neville's 2 pieces were any more cohesive than the other sets. I don't think the detail work in the pawn was matched at all in the bishop. I would have given the win to Ve for her queen.

It was nice to see how many of the truly talented contestants on the show have gotten work in the industry (particularly with Ve); it proves what many of us have felt about Face Off being one really long audition.

• Love 1

Also wanted to just mention that when Glen got first pick, Mr Rat and I started shouting LAURA! LAURA! LAURA! And we were right.  Even though he didn't win in the end, if I had these helpers to choose from, Laura would be my first pick as well.  Then Roy, then Anthony.

• Love 4

Also wanted to just mention that when Glen got first pick, Mr Rat and I started shouting LAURA! LAURA! LAURA! And we were right.  Even though he didn't win in the end, if I had these helpers to choose from, Laura would be my first pick as well.  Then Roy, then Anthony.

Ooo, I like this game. I'd say Laura as well because I think she's the most well-rounded. I think Connor would be my second pick because he's also well-rounded. And yes, there are those arms. I think I'd go with Anthony over Roy because a good painter is more useful than someone who is good at fabricating if you don't know what the challenge is going to be. Miranda and Wayne would be my last picks because I couldn't remember him and she works slowly and is very hit or miss.

I must admit it was so refreshing to have a show that is all about skilled people doing the things they are skilled at in an atmosphere of cooperation and friendly banter -- loved it! (I also like any episode where Glen laughs!)

• Love 5
Glenn is what used to be called "barrel-chested". I think his shape is nice; I like bigger guys.

Yeah, he's not fat in the least. He's short and stocky. Like the original Wolverine character.

• Love 3

It was striking to see how much shorter Glenn was than both Ve and Neville.  I got a kick out of Neville not knowing anything about Connor since he wasn't around the first season.  

I too thought that Patrick T. would be one of the judges, that would have been great.

Bingo. There's no reason at all to assume any chronological association with the current season, other than Lois being present, and Lois could have been around either before the season was shot, or for that matter after (remember, the actual season we're seeing now was probably shot many months ago).

Even if it was shot during the middle of this season, there's no saying it was shot exactly in the place it's airing. Ergo, showing the contestants might reveal future eliminations, or if there are more of them around, conflict with our sense of who's still in the competition or not.

Especially since we know Ve is working on a movie, so they would have to work around her schedule to find 3 days when she could participate.  She can't manage to schedule one day a week, because she was so busy while the show was shooting.

Imagine any other reality competition show having the judges compete against each other.  Top chef may be okay, depending on which judges participated.  Project Runway would be horrible, as would American Idol (original judges).

Cutthroat Kitchen did an episode where the three regular judges and a guest judge competed against each other for charity, and it was excellent.

• Love 3

What a thoroughly enjoyable episode! it was great to see very talented people (I include the assistants) applying their skills to the task at hand; they still hit some snags but immediately went into problem solving mode, instead of Sasha-like helpless whining or repeatedly bemoaning the fact that "this" could cost them the victory as contestants generally do in their interviews. All in all, it reinforced the credibility of the judges.

The special judging panel was rather useless however; they were put in the thankless position of having to assess some of their established colleagues, with whom they may eventually work, so it was no surprise that their comments were rather banally positive.

I was surprised no one mentioned that the seam above the eyelids on the Pawn mask looked a bit ragged and not as finished as the rest of the design or consistent with it.

• Love 1

This show is always at its best when playing up the camaraderie and mutual respect between the contestants, and this had that times 10. 

I think that's why I stopped watching other reality 'cutthroat' shows like Project Runway, Top Chef and AMNT. Every week there's a new backstab; someone broke the sewing machine, Katie took all the shallots, this bitch, that bitch, etc. Even aside from the Judge Match, the contestants not only don't sabotage each other, they actually help each other out. Rarely will you see a contestant on reality TV look at their competition and ask if they're having trouble. These people have a limited amount of time and you'll see half a dozen of them helping one person pull out their mold.

I assume it's because most of them have experience in FX labs where everything is a team effort, but it's refreshing to see them working together.

As much as I loved seeing Glen let his hair down (or, rather, put his back) I really enjoyed watching Ve work. She seemed fun, focused and fabulous. I like her criticisms and praise when she's a judge and she did not disappoint in the workroom. Love her.

I've seen Ve doing demos at IMATS and she's always SO pleasant! I've been a fan for ages and was thrilled she was chosen to judge the show. I'm also really happy she decided to go with a beauty makeup for her queen. I know the 'no monsters' thing has finally been put to bed, but there is still a limited amount of beauty makeup on the show and I would love her evil queen to inspire more beauty applications in future seasons. You don't have to hide the model's natural features to pull off a great transformation!

It seems obvious that this show was taped before (or after) the current season, not that I care. Probably whenever Hunger Games had a long enough break to get Ve and the contestants working on it away for a few days for this challenge. 

I also think that the "picks" were made and arranged ahead of time. I can't imagine Roy being the last pick otherwise. Probably each judge submitted their wishlist for contestants and production sorted out availability and conflicts.

I was surprised at how many of the contestants have gone on to work with Ve on Hunger Games. That alone shows the TRUE prize of this show. Like Jim Hensen's show, it's basically a long ass job application. If you have talent and show you can work with others, you have a damn good chance of getting some juicy gigs afterwards. 

• Love 1

Finally caught this On Demand.  That voting thing made no sense - who wouldn't vote for themselves with $5k on the line for the helpers?  But otherwise, this was absolutely delightful.  It was great to see their personalities and their work. Even MacKensie showed more personality than usual! My opinion of Glenn definitely improved, and I don't even care much for cats. My vote would have gone to Ve, but all the work was so good, it didn't really matter.

I would definitely watch more episodes like this one.  And I'm very glad Neville is around, because I think Patrick would have been much less fun, somehow.

Finally caught this On Demand.  That voting thing made no sense - who wouldn't vote for themselves with $5k on the line for the helpers?  

Maybe I missed something.  Weren't the rules that they had to vote for one of the other two teams?

Great episode! Having the judges compete against each other for charity was a stroke of genius. They not only showed their talents, they showed different sides of themselves, such as Glenn's love for animals in general and cats in particular, Ve's determination, as shown by her insistence on doing an evil queen despite Conor's initial reluctance and Neville's sense of humor (" Face Off is hard!"), which makes him-and that smile!-even hotter. The Guest Judges were great too. Seeing former contestants, giving the makeup teams the vote and the winning team getting $5K each were nice touches. 

Re the makeups themselves, Ve's Queen was stunning and Roy's Rook showed why he's the "King of Fabrication," no pun intended. Glenn's Knight and King were both gorgeous. Making the Knight a horse was brilliant because knights usually epitomize strength and nobility and so do horses,  so that was a perfect choice. As for the King, making him sickly gray, putting cobwebs on his crown and having green snot coming out of one side of his mouth were smart choices. Neville's blind, corrupt alien Bishop and the Pawn alter boy were sensational, in both looks and back stories. If I were a Judge, while it would've been a very tough decision, my choice would've been Glenn, for the horse head sculpt and the King's look. Then again, any of the Judges' winning would have been fine with me. 

I hope they do this again, next time with a holidays-themed episode with Michael Westmore, Lois Burwell and Patrick Tatopolus  competing, Rashaad, Tyler and George from last season among the artists and they could have their choice of Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus, elves, dolls or ghosts, ala A Christmas Carol for the latter. One could be a beauty makeup, the other could be a monster and the twist could be that they use at least one color/symbol that symbolizes Hanukkah  and the other Kwanzaa-and with the latter's colors also associated with Christmas, that could make things easier. 

Pretty chintzy on the prize money, FX.

It's SyFy. 

Edited by DollEyes