Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, PaulaO said:

Kat is the singularly most humorless contestant ever.  Would she die if she cracked a smile?

I've never been able to warm to her. I was torn in the beginning between rooting for one of the guys, but Jesse won me with his DD bets. (Also he's very cute.)

• Like 3

I was going to say Gore, but I said McCain.  

I got the entire category of smell right.  

I had a horrid game.  It started out pretty well, but went downhill after the first commercial breaks.

And I was totally with the contestant on that submarine daily double.  No way I was getting that.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And I was totally with the contestant on that submarine daily double.  No way I was getting that.

Since the clue said it went to a naval base, I figured it was some kind of ship. I debated between sub and aircraft carrier and settled on sub. 

• Like 3

Catching up from Monday's show first -- instaget FJ.  So much so that I questioned myself, but -tussis means coughing to me, so I stuck with it.

And I got the TS of Small Business Administration, Kyle Chandler, and Great Lakes.

Tonight, I had no clue for FJ.  I'm not sure I even understood the clue!  I wish I could say I was distracted or something, but I have no excuse.

I got several TS, though, including slush pile, uranium, stop bath, Great Escape, and The Importance of Being Earnest.  I figured the missile delivering mail was a watercraft, but I went with aircraft carrier.

• Like 3

He's the most recent presidential candidate to have officially declared his opponent in that campaign the victor

Okay, I guess I see it now, but I totally didn’t get that a concession speech is not the same as “officially declaring” your opponent the victor. 

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Anybody else Wildcard Wornout?

Actually, no. Mostly because I hardly remember anybody and it plays just like a regular game so I don't really care. It's not as if I usually remember how many games someone has won unless they turn out to be a super champ.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I guess I see it now, but I totally didn’t get that a concession speech is not the same as “officially declaring” your opponent the victor. 

Yeah that's where I was confused too. I went to who lost the most recent election, and that situation didn't seem to fit with what was asked in the clue, so then went to the election before that and in that case Hillary Clinton isn't a "he" who lost and conceded, and then I just gave up because I clearly didn't understand the question. If they had used gender neutral language, I probably would have said Hillary Clinton.

Had I understood the question, I'm not sure I would have made my way back to 2000 in time. Hard to believe that was 24 years ago.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Tonight, I had no clue for FJ.  I'm not sure I even understood the clue!  I wish I could say I was distracted or something, but I have no excuse.

The AARP website has a new word game; I was definitely distracted.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hope my brain is working better tonight!

Quoting myself to report:  Yeah, no.  I was watching in the bedroom so didn't keep track, but it was another bad night I'm going to blame on the meds.  I did get FJ, at least.  And while I only managed to come up with one in Literary Helpers, that one was the $2000 TS, so good for me.

• Like 2

Do any other baseball fans think Jesse looks like MLB pitcher David Robertson? I think they must be at least distant cousins! (This photo is from his time with the White Sox. He's played for several different teams.)

Screenshot_20240220_195907_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 5

Even after Ken’s explanation I still didn’t understand the clue or answer. Clearly it wasn’t the previous one, and it couldn’t have been Hillary because the clue said “He,” and then I was totally confused. I said McCain just to have something.

16 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Kat is the singularly most humorless contestant ever.  Would she die if she cracked a smile?

She did smile during her interview, it lit her up. I think she may a serious face when she's concentrating. My daughter is kind of the same.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

We didn't either. If they'd said "certify" instead of "officially declaring" we might have gotten there. That must have been pouring salt on a wound to have to do that...

• Like 9
  • Wink 1
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was going to say Gore, but I said McCain.

I said Romney because I didn't get the whole "VP who had to certify the election" aspect.  I knew I was doomed when I saw the category.  I generally suck at political stuff.

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Since the clue said it went to a naval base, I figured it was some kind of ship.

That's all the farther I got.  Would Ken have told me to be more specific?  Probably wouldn't have gotten submarine even if he had, but it made sense when he gave the answer.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Catching up from Monday's show first -- instaget FJ.  So much so that I questioned myself, but -tussis means coughing to me, so I stuck with it.

Fox 45 ran the Daytona 500 and didn't show Jeopardy later either, so no Monday show for me.  I looked on the archive.  I'd have gotten FJ based on knowing that pertussis (the P in the Tdap vaccine) is whooping cough.

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yeah, that was my issue, too, and I went with Romney.

16 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Anybody else Wildcard- worn out? 

I have been for 2 months…..

Yep, totally.  And I don't even want to slog through the TOC, I just wanna get back to regular games.  With no Yogesh.

• Like 8

Surprise surprise Mira had very little vocal fry today.  But apparently she never saw the movie Tombstone since she thought Doc was alive 15 years after the gunfight.

• Like 3

FJ. What happened in 1881. Garfield was assassinated.  That clearly got me nowhere.

I got the missed clues of Louis L'Amour, All of Me, and Amy Tan.

I got the entire category of reigning men right.  I would have ran art, but Picasso seems like the type of person who would name his kid after a sparrow.

Missed a lot of easy ones tonight.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Surprise surprise Mira had very little vocal fry today.  But apparently she never saw the movie Tombstone since she thought Doc was alive 15 years after the gunfight.

FJ!  - not even a clue. Mr TV said that’s pretty easy. Ha! You could have given me a multiple choice and 75% chance I would have missed it. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

February 21:

I stopped at my parents' house after work cuz I needed a hug, so I watched there. I felt like I did really well, so I checked the archive to get my score, and, well, I was half right.

83% / 63% / 74%

In J! I ran Science Quiz, 1990s Music (I better; I was in HS/college for most of the 90s), and It's Reigning Men, missed one in Boozy, and two in Fun & Games and Hallelujah! In DJ I missed one in Places to Visit, American Authors, and Art & Artists, two in Ends in "IR" and Mr. Steve Martin, and four in Extremely Random Calculations. And I was not at all confident, but I got FJ!

TSes: (J had 1; DJ had 7 + 1DD) I got the Galápagos (DD), Amy Tan, and Louis L'Amour.

Jesse's "Woo-Hoo" was the highlight of the game this time. Hope he does better tomorrow cuz I'm rooting for him.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 7

I got FJ tonight. Not quite an instaget, though.  I had to wend my way through the OK Corral to determine who it might be.

I also got the TS of mumbledy-peg, Louis L'Amour, Galapagos, and Amy Tan. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I stopped at my parents' house after work cuz I needed a hug, 

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For ams1001:

Virtual Cat Hug.jpg

Thanks for the hugs! 🥰

image.png.a53ccacb00f63de85783b5b5e1a637f3.png

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1

The All of Me TS was a bummer; that's a cute film.

I'm rooting for Deb, so glad they have a commanding lead heading into game two.  At least Mira got in the ballpark; she's my second choice.

A reduced dose of my pain pills meant an attendant reduction in my ineptitude, and calculating the 1008 and -100 TS with an apparently still semi-fuzzy head made me feel good.

I still wasn't very good in the first round - I ran booze (of course), '90s music (the last decade I have a good chance of doing so), and science, but missed three in games, and two each in hallelujah and reigning - but not terrible.

I didn't run anything in DJ, but got all but one in places, Steve Martin, and calculations.  I did so-so with the rest -- missed three each in authors and art, and two in "IR".

FJ was an instaguess I figured had to be correct; I didn't know that about Earp, but given the year of the "famous showdown", I didn't know who else it could be.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Gore came easily yesterday; Earp not so much today. You know what you know, you don’t what you don’t. Or something like that.

I ran authors, including the TSs of Amy Tan and Louis L’Amour. I also got All of Me (these contestants were too young for that one) and was proud of myself for figuring out Galapagos (if you’re going to overlook cute furry seals, it has to be because there’s something more famous nearby). 

Nice gutsy wager from Deb. Someone needs to make Jesse a good pina colada. Mira can go away.

I usually look forward to the ToCs, but I’m pretty ambivalent about this one. Mostly because I have a bad case of tournament fatigue. And then there’s Yogesh. I am interested in seeing how Ike Barinholtz does (I’m a fan), although that’s probably a controversial inclusion as well.

• Like 4

The Louis L'Amour clue amused me just because of how much L'Amour would have hated that clue existing. He was very unhappy with the way those Hopalong Cassidy books were edited, removing some of the rougher stuff in favor of a more sanitized Hopalong. Until the day that he died, he denied having written them anytime he was asked about it. Occasionally fans who recognized his writing style would bring them to him to autograph, and he always refused to do it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6

I also said Doc Holliday for FJ although I wondered if he was even still alive 15 years after the shootout, what with his consumption and all.

I guess the old tv show about Earp really whitewashed him because I just didn't think he would have done something like that.

• Like 4

I recently watched "The Gambler: The Luck of the Draw" (don't judge) and it had Diamond Jim Brady promoting boxing bouts (shows? exhibitions?) with LOTS of wagering, so, ignoring the "showdown" part of the clue, that's who I said.

(The movie, in addition to horrible actor Kenny Rodgers, had a bunch of old-time TV stars reprising their roles, including Hugh O'Brian as Earp.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got FJ tonight. Not quite an instaget, though.  I had to wend my way through the OK Corral to determine who it might be.

I wended and wound up with the wrong one.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The Louis L'Amour clue amused me just because of how much L'Amour would have hated that clue existing. He was very unhappy with the way those Hopalong Cassidy books were edited, removing some of the rougher stuff in favor of a more sanitized Hopalong. Until the day that he died, he denied having written them anytime he was asked about it. Occasionally fans who recognized his writing style would bring them to him to autograph, and he always refused to do it.

I only read one Louis L'Amour book and it is in my reading hall of fame as the first book I ever wanted to edit while reading it (not a Hopalong Cassidy book). Only a megastar writer who refuses to let her work be edited stands next to him. Having been a writer, I learned that though editing can sting, it also teaches you to be a better writer.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Everyone should play Globle! That's what gave me Galapagos,. 2nd time in a flash that game has given me a Jeopardy success.

I use Sporcles. It's definitely upped my Geography game.

• Like 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ. What happened in 1881. Garfield was assassinated.  That clearly got me nowhere.

I immediately thought of Westerns and gunfights but said Pat Garrett first.  Then switched it to Wyatt Earp because the Earp brothers were all shady as shit so him fixing a boxing match fit right in with his actual character (as opposed to how he's been portrayed in movies and on tv),

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I would have ran art, but Picasso seems like the type of person who would name his kid after a sparrow.

I knew Picasso's daughter's name was Paloma, which is Spanish for dove.

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I usually look forward to the ToCs, but I’m pretty ambivalent about this one. Mostly because I have a bad case of tournament fatigue. And then there’s Yogesh. I am interested in seeing how Ike Barinholtz does (I’m a fan), although that’s probably a controversial inclusion as well.

I with you on the Yogesh thing.  I've looked at the upcoming brackets and he's up against someone who was massively annoying in his previous games and someone I don't remember.  So, go, dude I don't remember in that game!

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I guess the old tv show about Earp really whitewashed him because I just didn't think he would have done something like that.

Oh yeah, the Earps have been seriously whitewashed over the years.  They were pretty much smalltime criminals to whom someone gave badges.

I got Louis L'Amour because I only know two western writers and Zane Grey's name isn't alliterative.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'll have to check that out!

I also like Worldle (https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/ ) and its companions of Statele and Flagle (and Angle!). And Globle/capitals. They keep updating them to add more data points, like population, area (size), and languages spoken.

I can't keep track of all these -les....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I was a fan of Ray Lalonde when he competed.  I hope he wins against his opponents.

I don't remember him from his games (maybe I will when I see him), but Ray is the one who first said he would not tape a ToC while the writers were striking, so that's a big point in his column.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
44 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I bookmark them in a folder labeled "games".

I do Wordle, Connections, the NYT Mini Crossword, and a new one I found recently called Squeezy, plus the Morning Brew newsletter's mini crosswords (which are a couple times a week) and their bigger Saturday crossword. My aunt sent me one called Phrazle the a few days ago but I couldn't get into it. The crosswords have the potential to help me on J! at least. Not so much the word games, I think.

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I do Wordle, Connections, the NYT Mini Crossword, and a new one I found recently called Squeezy, plus the Morning Brew newsletter's mini crosswords (which are a couple times a week) and their bigger Saturday crossword. My aunt sent me one called Phrazle the a few days ago but I couldn't get into it. The crosswords have the potential to help me on J! at least. Not so much the word games, I think.

Thank you for mentioning Squeezy --it looks like fun. 

• Like 3
(edited)

February 22:

73% / 53% / 62%

Decent first round, bad second (again). In J I ran Advertising Slogans, missed one in TV Characters and Building a New Word, and two in World Capitals, Literary Subtitle, and 40 Years Ago (way to make me feel old, J!). In DJ I missed on in How Many Times, two in From Page to Scream and Shall the People Dance, and three in Brit Speak, Before the First World War, and Blowin' in the Wind. I did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 7 + 1DD) I got Cheez-It, Slaughterhouse Five, Scott Hamilton (DD), and bounce the tennis ball.

Ouch, Jesse! 🙁 Deb was my second choice, at least. Mira seems very sweet but the vocal fry was getting hard to listen to.

14 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

It is; I haven't tried the "Wheezy Mode" with the sneaky extra tiles yet, though.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

I said Pisa, just because I think it's near Florence, even though I knew it had nothing to do with hills.

I got the missed clues of Scott Hamilton and Slaughterhouse 5.

I got the entire category of capitals right.

Monday is the only final I've gotten right this week.  Hopefully I can bookend it with tomorrow's.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'll have to check that out!

I also like Worldle (https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/ ) and its companions of Statele and Flagle (and Angle!). And Globle/capitals. They keep updating them to add more data points, like population, area (size), and languages spoken.

This is the Worldle I use: https://worldledaily.com/

It's interesting to "drive" around the Google Streets to try to figure out where you are.  Sometimes, you'll see a flag outside a governmental building that might give you a clue, sometimes the name of a restaurant gives it away...

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I live in Virginia.  I got FJ.  I've visited there many times.  The one in Virginia, not the one in Italy.

I also got the TS of Scott Hamilton, John Belushi, constable, and liquor store.

Poor Scott Hamilton!  I don't think he looks anything like Mary Lou Retton!

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I live in Virginia.  I got FJ.  I've visited there many times.  The one in Virginia, not the one in Italy.

I also got the TS of Scott Hamilton, John Belushi, constable, and liquor store.

Poor Scott Hamilton!  I don't think he looks anything like Mary Lou Retton!

About 30 miles from Florence, a little hill gives this tiny Tuscan town its name, familiar to American visitors

Second time this week that they’ve gotten me on a technically accurate but (intentionally?) misleading FJ!

And, Deb apologized multiple times to Scott but not to Mary Lou? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

Double yay -- Deb won (I'd have been fine with Mira or even Jesse, too, but I was rooting for them not to blow yesterday's huge lead), and I have my regular brain back since I haven't needed any pain pills today.

I ran capitals, slogans, and words, and got all but one each in the rest in the first round (three cheers for cultural osmosis in the case of TV Characters, as I don't watch any of those shows).

I missed three in Before WWI, but still did very well in DJ -- I ran Britspeak, wind, and dance, and got all but one in the rest.

I joined the contestants in being stumped by FJ, though.  I've been to Monticello (the U.S. one), but eons ago and there was nothing in the clue that brought me back there.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

3 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I googled Squeezy and it sent me to loads of apps to help strengthen one's pelvic floor.  Which could lead to fun, @Miss Anne Thrope 🤣

• Fire 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

And, Deb apologized multiple times to Scott but not to Mary Lou? 

IIRC, the first apology wasn't directed to either one, just a "Sorry!" when the correct answer revealed their mistake.  The second, in their interview explaining about losing their glasses, was to Scott Hamilton.

They probably didn't even look too closely at the picture when the clue was read, or pay attention that it was the winter Olympics, just thinking 1984 US Olympic gold = Mary Lou Retton.  A glance at a somewhat fuzzy (due to lack of glasses) picture of a short-haired brunette may have simply served as erroneous confirmation.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

About 30 miles from Florence, a little hill gives this tiny Tuscan town its name, familiar to American visitors

Idk what I was thinking, but I totally misunderstood this clue. I didn't realize it meant American visitors would find it familiar because they had a town of the same name. I just thought it was a popular place to visit. Lol

Colina means hill in Spanish, but I couldn't think of the Italian equivalent. In retrospect I knew monte is mountain but I thought 'ino", "ina" was the diminutive to make a small mountain. 

I guessed Positano. 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Apparently he's up against Ray Lalonde (and someone I don't remember; I googled and she looks familiar but I don't remember if I had any feelings about her one way or the other) in the first round...

https://gameshows.fandom.com/wiki/2024_Jeopardy!_Tournament_of_Champions

Well, if anyone thought the celebrity would get an easy path, they'd be wrong. Ray is the second highest winner of the season, in both $ and number of games. And although I like Ike, I'll be rooting for Ray. He was one of my favorites. (I don't remember Melissa, either.)

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My morning would not be complete without the Wordle/ Connections duo.  I also like Squeezy (wheezy version).  I got a NYT Games subscription about a year ago, and am slowly learning how to be good at the crossword. I am sure I've learned clues there that have helped my Jeopardy game, and vise versa.  But I think my favorite obsession is Spelling Bee. I have an unhealthy need to reach Genius level, but it gives my inner vocabulary nerd purpose.

• Like 4
  • Love 1