Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I rejected both the Hanging Gardens and the Colossus before remembering there was a Lighthouse and spent the rest of my time wondering whether they would let me get away with simply Pharos or if I would have to remember where it was located. (I wasn't sure if Alexandria was correct.)

I guessed "The Lighthouse of Pharos," thinking that Pharos was a place rather than the Greek word for lighthouse. I wonder if that would have been counted right.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I confess to being very fond of Dennis Quaid's portrayal of Gordo Cooper in The Right Stuff, so this was a total gimme for me.

The Right Stuff was the first movie me and the mister saw together. We've watched it many times over the last 40+ years. Plus, like you, I was fond of Qauid's performance (well, fond of Quaid in general). Much cuter than the original Gordo.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Didn't get FJ; also thought Colossus of Rhodes. "Second sun" should have tipped me off but my mind didn't go there.

I knew there was a lighthouse of some sort, but I thought the library of Alexander was the wonder there - so I thought...well maybe the colossus is a lighthouse and he's holding the light in his hands. 🤣

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Woohoo!
It’s a 45!
Starting at the 2:26 mark:

I was sure it was LPs, but said records, so that counts. Thanks for sharing this.

9 hours ago, Scott said:

I like that "The Little Foxes" popped up in a clue without any reference to Lillian Hellman.

I said "So THAT's where the title comes from!!" LOL

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I guessed "The Lighthouse of Pharos," thinking that Pharos was a place rather than the Greek word for lighthouse. I wonder if that would have been counted right.

I think it would have - Wikipedia says:

The Lighthouse of Alexandria, sometimes called the Pharos of Alexandria

It was a pretty good game, didn't run anything but I got something everywhere, except FJ.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't understand the clue at all.  I have, however, been sick since last week so I'm sure that's why.  Absolutely the only reason.  😲

The category was "13-letter words" so the word they were looking for was "International." The full name of airport is John F Kennedy International, whereas LGA is just LaGuardia as they don't fly internationally.

• Useful 1
38 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

The category was "13-letter words" so the word they were looking for was "International." The full name of airport is John F Kennedy International, whereas LGA is just LaGuardia as they don't fly internationally.

Huh. I blurted out International as the only airport-related epithet I could think of, but if you had put it to me like that I would have ruled it out because I have only ever flown into LGA (from Toronto, which is located in a different nation). Maybe they don't consider YYZ international because we go through U.S. customs clearance before boarding?

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I did, too.

Hey! PlutoTV's showing the original Star Trek and your episode was on yesterday afternoon.

• Like 3
(edited)

February 8:

57% / 70% / 62%

Would have done pretty well in the first round if it wasn't for the last two categories…ran A Regional Treasure, missed one in Simple Spanish and Military Slang, and two in A Wild Moose Chase, but missed four in Super Bowl Stars (at least I guessed the right Manning brother) and completely failed The Mourning News.

Did better in DJ…ran Medical Specialties, missed one in Roman Empire and Same First & Last Letter, two in Church Newsletter Crossword and End of Story, and three in Sounds Like a Horror Movie But Isn't.

Did not get FJ. Sucks that they all got it wrong for the same mistake, but at least they came up with the song, which I did not. I liked everyone but I was rooting for Alex so I'm glad he won.

TSes: (J had 6; DJ had 4) I only got Of Mice and Men.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

So I guess Alex won? 😁 Just before Ken asked him for his FJ response, ABC news broke in with a special report. They couldn't wait until Jeopardy's winner was determined? I'm rusty... haven't watched since the Masters tournament (well, maybe once). But I got 2 TS's: Gable, & Monster-in-Law (that's what I'd be if any son of mine came home with Jenny from the Block as his bride!)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

In an incredible feat of timing, ABC news managed to break into Final Jeopardy! just before the third contestant’s response was revealed. YouTube to the rescue. The good news is, “I” knew the FJ! response!

• Like 5

I got FJ!  Took me a bit to come up with the right song, but I do know the title of it.  My guess is that they all missed it because the movie is "Walk The Line."  

I also got the TS of Clark Gable, C.S. Lewis, Monster-in-Law, Gilead, and Of Mice and Men.  Have I mentioned recently how much I dislike Steinbeck?  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I didn't keep track, because I wasn't watching at my desk, but I did pretty well, including yelling "Of Mice and Men!" at increasing volume at my TV to no avail.

And FJ was an instaget, and I initially wondered if it was too easy for a FJ clue before deciding no, this is quite brilliant, because the test is whether they know the song or only know the film so think the movie title is the song title.  Sure enough, they all blew it.

If they hadn't, making that shared error the obvious focus of Ken's commentary, I was expecting him to say something like "Didn't work" about Johnny saying it was a prodding to himself -- he wrote that about his first wife on whom he wound up cheating with June Carter and others, not about June, as seems to be a popular misconception.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

The 3rd contestant won-- he had the same answer as everyone else, which was the right song but the wrong title, but he didn'tbet enough to drop his total out of first place.

My market shows the show on NBC, which didn't break in.

• Like 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

It does fly internationally, it's just not in the name & it's quite a bit less than the other 2 NY airports. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Pretty much an instaget FJ. 

I was surprised all three contestants came up with the same wrong answer since the movie, Walk the Line, made little to no impression on me.

Still, I would have thought the song was much more famous than the movie so they should have gotten it right.  Alex Trebek probably would have said it was before their time.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Did not get FJ. Sucks that they all got it wrong for the same mistake, but at least they came up with the song, which I did not.

It was an instaget for me and I was surprised that none of them realized the title is "I Walk the Line".  Maybe they were confused because of the film title?

I always kinda like the irony of Cash having written that song during his marriage to his first wife, Vivian, on whom he cheated a LOT.  Like sure, tell yourself you're using it to keep on the straight and narrow, uh huh.  (Don't get me wrong, I love Johnny Cash, but a good husband he was not.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 7

It took me a minute to get "I Walk the Line" - but since it was a song I grew up with, and I only saw the movie once, I got the right title. I did feel a little sorry for them, but not so much that I wasn't thrilled to get an FJ Triple Stumper.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
16 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Gee, I feel like a dunce. I guessed "Folsom Prison Blues." It was the first song that came to mind. 

Come sit by me. I picked a boy named Sue,😻

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 9

February 9:

67% / 60% / 62%

Ugh, bad end to the week. In J I ran World Leader Birthplaces and Classic Toys & Games, missed one in Numerical TV, two in Ends in X and Poetry, and apparently I don't know where any universities are. In DJ I missed one each in Science, _ of _, American History, and Let's Have a Word, three in Same Title Different Lyrics, and completely failed Geography. The right side of the board was not my friend tonight. Did not get FJ.

In my defense....I woke up half an hour before the game started..?

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 6) I got Wesleyan College, perquisite, Day of Atonement, and Heartbreak Hotel (all in the second round).

• Like 4

I didn't really think it was right, but I said Mr. Darcy.  However, I meant the one in Bridget Jones' Diary.

I got the missed clues of 99 & 86, Wesleyan, perquisite, Day of Atonement, and Heartbreak Hotel.

I got the entire categories of games and history right, and the entire category of SEC wrong.

Am I the only one who said tiger for eye of the?  

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Me too! but quickly thought 1. it wasn't that old and 2. he did NOT play it straight

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't really think it was right, but I said Mr. Darcy.  However, I meant the one in Bridget Jones' Diary.

I got the missed clues of 99 & 86

Me too! also got Heartbreak Hotel and all of the Toys & Games.

• Like 2

I didn't get FJ either.  It's been way too long since I read that book.

I did get the TS of 86 & 99, Don't Bring Me Down, perquisite, Day of Atonement, and Heartbreak Hotel.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Gee, I feel like a dunce. I guessed "Folsom Prison Blues." It was the first song that came to mind. 

Except for the date of the song, you could make a case for FPB - a song about prison could certainly be a incentive to walk (hee) the straight and  narrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 2/9/2024 at 5:43 PM, ECM1231 said:

This was my guess, for the reason Clanstarling mentioned above.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:01 PM, chessiegal said:

This was my husband’s guess. Don’t hate me, but I laughed and laughed at him. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

February 12:

70% / 57% / 62%

Decent first round...ran Life in the 1920s, missed one in Pop Culture and Airline Logos, two in Historic People and Moving Words, and three in Genius: MLK/X.

Not so decent second round…missed one in Oceanography and Rhyming Synonyms, two in Fictional Characters and Musicians of the 1960s, three in International Organizations, and four in Homes.

Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 2 + the DD; DJ had 7) I got Margaret Sanger (DD), vale/dale, bow/prow, and red algae.

• Like 3

On FJ, my mind went to the civil rights act and I didn't know when that was passed, so I said LXV.

I got the missed clues of Jimmy Hendrix, vale and dale, red, and Puerto Rico (wild guess).

I got the entire category of airline logos right.

• Like 4

I had to do the math to figure out what year they meant, then wracked my brain to figure out what might have happened then.  I knew it was too late for the civil rights act, but I was able to come up with the right thing in the nick of time.  

I also got the TS of customs, Jimi Hendrix, vale & dale, bow & prow, and red algae.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Katy M said:

On FJ, my mind went to the civil rights act and I didn't know when that was passed, so I said LXV.

Mine did, too, and all I could think of was X which was probably because of the MLK/X category, so I figured that couldn't be right. At least I was only off by I?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

On FJ, my mind went to the civil rights act and I didn't know when that was passed,

My first thought was that but then I knew it was the girls in sports one but could not bring any number to mind. Actually, the film Bend It Like Beckham popped into my mind because I know they reference it in there but I don't know if they specifically called it by name. Anyway I was lost in my thoughts way to long to even begin a guess.

• Like 3

The Genius: MLK/X category bugged me, because, while that is indeed the title of the series, so the category title was correct, it's about Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.  Yet clues referred to him as MLK, not MLK Jr., which is silly since they were spoken, not written, so space wasn't an issue.

The red (algae) TS surprised me, as did Jimi Hendrix a little.

I ran airlines and MLK/X and got all but one each in the rest of the first round. 

In DJ, I almost blew characters entirely, only correctly guessing Hermione (and if I had to give her last name, too, I can't even count that one).  But if not for that category I'd have had a great round; I ran musicians and organizations and got all but one each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget (it better be, as I've handled numerous Title IX claims), so my J! week is off to a great start.

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

the girls in sports one

Common misconception, as that's the area in which its impact has been most discussed, but it's about sex discrimination in all (federally funded) education programs, not just school sports.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

The Civil Rights Act was 1964 and you were on the right wavelength -- its omission of women - only explicitly covered by its Title VII amendment, which only applies to employment - was a significant reason for Title IX in a 1972 education act.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Instaget FJ for me. I didn’t even see the part about years or anniversary, just “Roman numeral” + anti-discrimination and immediately thought “Title IX.” I don’t know of any other act that is referred to by Roman numerals.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 2/9/2024 at 7:30 PM, ams1001 said:

Did not get FJ.

I thought of the "Reader, I married him" line and knew it had to be Mr. Rochester.

13 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Instaget FJ for me. I didn’t even see the part about years or anniversary, just “Roman numeral” + anti-discrimination and immediately thought “Title IX.” I don’t know of any other act that is referred to by Roman numerals.

I wouldn't have gotten that FJ if I'd had an hour to come up with an answer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought of the "Reader, I married him" line and knew it had to be Mr. Rochester.

I recognized the phrase, but could not, for the life of me, remember where I read it. I was leaning toward Austin or the Brontes.

• Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

What was Donna referring to with LXII?

Maybe she was, like a poster upthread, thinking of the Civil Rights Act, but thought it was 1962 instead of 1964?  Maybe she subtracted 50 from 2022 and did it wrong, coming up with '62 instead of '72?  I was rooting for her, and she played a great game other than the total brain fart on the Margaret Sanger DD, but then blew it in FJ, and those are the only two possibilities I've come up with for her LXII response.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

February 13:

63% / 67% / 66%

Meh game. In J I missed one in Rhyming Phrases and Duck Soup, two in Poker, "CAN", and Rappers, and three in Congress. In DJ I ran Vaccines, missed one in "RH" Factor, two in Siblings of Note, Vowelless Companies, and Documentaries, and three in Wistful Thinking.

I got FJ…thanks in no small part to just having read Rachel Maddow's Prequel a couple weeks ago. 

TSes: (There were 4 in each round) I got rhomboid and anthrax.

Darn, I was rooting for Long (not Huey).

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

I got FJ after saying, argh, what's his name.  Didn't think I would remember, but literally came to me 2 seconds later.

I got the missed clues of rhomboid and anthrax (come on, thrax was right there).

I got the entire category of rh right.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe she was, like a poster upthread, thinking of the Civil Rights Act, but thought it was 1962 instead of 1964? 

No, the Civil Rights Act was definitely 1964.

--

Tonight's game was tense! In his previous game, Long seemed unstoppable.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

No, the Civil Rights Act was definitely 1964.

I know.  I said maybe she thought it was 1962, thus her answer of LXII.  Because either thinking of the Civil Rights Act and getting the year wrong or just subtracting 50 years from 2022 (since the clue said a 2022 series for the 50th anniversary) and doing it wrong to boot, incorrectly coming up with '62 instead of '72, are the only reasons I can come up with for her LXII response.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ after saying, argh, what's his name.  Didn't think I would remember, but literally came to me 2 seconds later.

Same, but I'm not sure if I got it in time or not. 
Does that ever happen?

At least Long, the contestant, heard my yells through the wormhole of: Dada! Dada! Dada!

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Darn, I was rooting for Long (not Huey).

Yeah. Long is a doppelganger for an international student employee I supervised for a few years. Across generations and cultures we were in sync. 
And then Long's black sheep story…😪

Instagot the TS of anthrax today and yesterday instagot Abernathy and Jimi Hendrix.

I did run THERE'S A VACCINE FOR THAT.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
(edited)

What a great game heading into FJ; I was rooting for Kat, but Long was a close second, so I enjoyed DJ very much, with the two of them going back and forth.  I don't understand Long's wager, but I liked his little "Not me" after his response. 

I can't believe anthrax was a TS. 

I'm always disappointed when someone says "Fifty" rather than "Fiddy" Cent.

I thought I was going to struggle in the rappers category, but I ran it.  I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed two in poker (given enough time, I would have eventually tossed out Wild Bill Hickok as a guess, but I could have sat here until I died without being able to name the World Series of Poker guy).

I didn't kick quite as much ass in DJ, but still had a great round; I ran vaccines, "RH", and documentaries, and missed two each in the rest (in wistful, all three of my gets were guesses, but I'll take it).

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Are the producers telling contestants to say the entire category name now? I got tired of hearing "Lending You a Poker Hand" when "Poker" would have identified the category and saved time.

• Like 4