Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Three states claim Lincoln. Kentucky, where he was born. Indiana, where he spent his boyhood. And Illinois, where he had his law office and from which he ran for Senator and then for President. He's a popular fella, for some reason. 😀

I also guessed Ohio, for no really good reason. But I was surprised to learn that Lincoln was the first president born outside the original thirteen states. I would have thought it happened earlier.

• Like 6

I also said Ohio & then spent the next 10 minutes wondering why I said Ohio, guess I had also heard about a lot of presidents coming from there. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Count me among those who guessed Ohio. I knew it wasn't right, but I had absorbed the fact that we had more presidents from Ohio than anywhere else.  So at least there's that.

Huh.  I thought Virginia had the most.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 1/23/2024 at 10:23 AM, Browncoat said:

Huh.  I thought Virginia had the most.

If you go by birthplace, they do, at eight, while Ohio has seven.  But some put William Henry Harrison, who moved (from Virginia) there as an adult, in the Ohio tally because of his long political career there.  If you go by that "primarily affiliated with" standard, though, that gives Ohio only six, Virginia only five, and puts NY at the top with seven.  I think most people go by the birthplace standard.

(Oops, forgot to cite my source -- I didn't know the numbers, just that Virginia and Ohio produced a lot of presidents; I checked this article for specifics.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 7

January 23:

70% / 53% / 62%

Decent first round thanks to running three categories - Squeaker of the House, A "Fast" Category, and 3-Letter 3-Letter; missed two in Young People's Nonfiction, three in Constellations, and four Stars Sound Like Cars.

Terrible second round… missed one in Movies in Rewind, two in US Cities and Greek Cuisine, and three in Poets & Poetry, Go IVvth & Rule, and Rhyming Verb Pairs.

But I got FJ! LL Bean came to mind, then I was thinking there might be another name I couldn't come up with, which in retrospect was Eddie Bauer so I guess it's a good thing I blanked on that.

TSes: (J had 2; DJ had 4 + 1DD) I got Hitler Youth and Flanders.

Ken's callback to Alex's Robbie Burns made me happy.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I got FJ right, but was second guessing myself the entire time.

I got the missed clues of abolish and polish (only one I got in that category, Flanders, and Aragon.

I had a horrible, horrible game. In DJ, there were 3 categories I only got one right, one I got 2 and the other 2 I managed to get 3.  I hated that movie category.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

My parents were addicted to LL Bean, even though they hadn’t been camping in decades. Took me about half an insta to get that one.

If you play some of the games on the AARP website, you earn points. I'm spending my points on entries to a sweepstakes for a $200 LL Bean gift card. It was an Insta-Get for me, too.

• Like 6

Archive game for me from last night -- I finally finally got to see Poor Things!  I didn't think it was ever going to be shown at a theater near me!  (I liked it, but will say it's not a mainstream-type movie, so may not be everyone's cup of tea.)

Anyway, FJ was an instaget, and I got the TS of Hitler Youth, and abolish and polish. 

• Like 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Archive game for me from last night -- I finally finally got to see Poor Things!  I didn't think it was ever going to be shown at a theater near me!  (I liked it, but will say it's not a mainstream-type movie, so may not be everyone's cup of tea.)

I saw the trailer, and wasn't sure it was mine, though I do tend to like odd ones.

Thanks to @Bastet , I won't be so sure about Ohio/presidents again. LOL.

For FJ I was stuck on the shoes and was going through shoe manufacturers...sigh...

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
34 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

For FJ I was stuck on the shoes and was going through shoe manufacturers...sigh...

LL Bean was an instaget but their mention of shoes had me doubting myself and I was trying to come up with shoe makers. Couldn't think of anything better so I stayed with LL bean.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

I knew the character was Tony Montana right away, but it took me until right after time to get Scarface. I'm giving it to myself anyway, because I'm a big fat cheaterhead.

I got the missed clues of Philistines, anemia and Avis.

I got the entire category of Errors right which seems appropriate for my life lately.

Much better game than last night even if I didn't give myself FJ.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

January 24:

80% / 57% / 67%

Good first round…ran Our Song and Bad Blood, missed three in Shake It Off and one each in the rest. Not so good second round…missed one in Bald and Business Travel, two in Presidents, and three each in the rest.

Had no clue for FJ.

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 4) I got desertion, Vitamin K, aplastic anemia, Rubens, and Avis.

I actually remember Lloyd. He's a little quirky but I like him.

Had to laugh at the Princess Bride clue because I just saw this yesterday:

image.png.1ad32e7cd3aa314493516a19beb3f806.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I figured out Joe Montana straight away (go, Niners!), but couldn't connect Joe to any movie characters.  I've never seen that movie.  So, no FJ for me.

I did get the TS of desertion, vitamin K, Philistines, anemia, Rubens, and Avis.

I only have a vague recollection of Lloyd, but he certainly annoyed me tonight.

• Like 4

I wasn't home last night, and only looked up FJ rather than the whole game; reference to shoes had me coming up blank, but once I focused on clothes, LL Bean sprang to mind.

Tonight's game is preempted by basketball, so back to the archive.  With the bald category, I had to give myself credit for several I didn't actually answer, feeling certain I'd have recognized the pictures had I been able to see them.

I found the anemia TS quite surprising.

As someone sometimes answers clues about football players similar to the way a contestant responded to the Pujols clue, I got a kick out of reading that even though I have no feelings about him one way or the other (I didn't even know who he was; I pay little attention to baseball, so he's my one miss in that bald category as being able to see the picture wouldn't have helped).

I was terrible in love stories (not surprising, as they're not my jam), missing all but "sorry".  I knew Gabriel García Márquez, but had a total brain fart.  If not for that category, I'd have had a great first round; I got everything else except for priory and Philistines (notice a pattern?).

I didn't run anything in DJ, but did well; I missed two each in presidents and art and got all but one in each of the rest.

I did not get FJ.  I knew the QB was Joe Montana, but have never seen Scarface.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The mention of shoes in combination with "hunting clothes" made me think of the Bean Boot.

I love the way "Bean Boot" sounds. Do they call it that, or is it your invention?

15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I got as far as Joe, for I have no idea what reason. So I got in the right car, but it never left the station. 

Love the metaphor. So apt for many of us.

Never saw Scarface, (except for the "say hello to my little friend" clip) so even though Montana ran through my mind, it never occurred to me. Also, I kept expecting the title to be the name of the character (JFK, which was one of  his, but not appropriate to the clue, etc.)

It was a pretty good game for me today after days of senior brain pause on almost every clue I actually knew the answers to.

• Like 2

The only Oliver Stone movie I could think of was Platoon. I don’t know any character names from that movie, so I abandoned that half of the clue and went to football. Which is not a welcoming place for me. Joe Theismann? Gary Hogeboom? I had nothing.

I’ve never seen Scarface. Tried once, but I was bored to tears. Post-Godfather Al Pacino is always hard for me to watch anyway, with all the scenery chomping.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I love the way "Bean Boot" sounds. Do they call it that, or is it your invention?

I can't take credit -- it's what they call it in their catalog.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The only Oliver Stone movie I could think of was Platoon. I don’t know any character names from that movie, so I abandoned that half of the clue and went to football. Which is not a welcoming place for me. Joe Theismann? Gary Hogeboom? I had nothing.

FYI Gary Hogeboom never won a Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

L.L. Bean now calls it the Bean Boot. For generations, it was known as their Duck Boot, as it was originally marketed to duck hunters.  

Those boots are why FJ was an instaget for me. I first read the hunting clothes clue, but zeroed in on Teddy Roosevelt's acknowledgment of the shoes. Those boots were L.L. Bean's original claim to fame.

Screenshot_20240125_170119_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1

January 25:

60% / 70% / 66%

Bleh. Missed one in Highways & Byways and Questionable Science In Pop Songs (never heard of the Adele song), two in Drinking Vessels, Backwords & Forewords, and Historic CV, and four in Shakespeare.

A little better in the second round…missed one in Moments of Inspiration, Nicknames, and What Do "U" Stand For?, and two in Whirled Capitals, Feast Days, and People Who are Places.

But I got FJ! And all three DDs.

TSes: (J had 6; DJ had 3 + 1DD) I got tort & trot, Dick Cheney, Attila the Hun, Coldplay, Athens, and movable feast DD).

So annoyed…"keel" was a clue in the mini-crossword (NY Times, I think) in the last couple days and I couldn't think of it then, either. Also could picture the Nefertiti statue but couldn't come up with the name.

• Like 1

I guessed FJ right.

I got the missed clues of Atilla the Hun, tort and trot, AThens and Moveable feast (thought it was wrong, but I said it).

I got the entire categories of capitals and feasts right and the entire category of people wrong.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Also could picture the Nefertiti statue but couldn't come up with the name.

At least you knew it was a woman--one contestant answered Tutankhamun (commonly known as "KING Tut").

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

could picture the Nefertiti statue but couldn't come up with the name.

Same. My brain was running slower this evening, fighting distraction (no pre-Jeopardy! nap).
Several TSs I knew I only got halfway to the front of my mind, like just "keel" for "sleek & keels," and just "trot" for "tort and trot" and too late "--- the Hun" and "what's her name? N---?"

But yay, having read War & Peace voluntarily in my 30s, I did instaget FJ. 

• Like 1

Tumblers do not have to have flat bottoms.  Originally they had rounded or pointed bottoms, so they could not be set down between drinks.  Maybe taverns chose them so patrons would drink more.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But yay, having read War & Peace voluntarily in my 30s, I did instaget FJ. 

Voluntarily? Wow, that's impressive. I never took Russian Lit in school because (as I used to say) I was never in a good enough mood. 😄(I did read the odd Russian book/short story in other classes) I did try on my own, but I got lost in the many diminutives and other versions of every name.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2

January 26:

63% / 50% / 56%

Terrible game. First round was actually pretty good except for two categories. Missed one in Touch Some Grass, "C" in the Middle, Tearable, and Full-Court Press, three in 2-3 Zone, and 4 in Coaching Basketball (not surprising; though I might have gotten a couple if I'd had a little more time to think. The one I did get (triangle) was a guess.) In the second round I missed one in Silent Consonant Words, two in Dashiell Hammett and TV Spinoff Source, three in Historic Battles and What's In a Name, and four in Gas Everywhere.

Did not get FJ. Never seen the movie in any iteration (and only knew of Barbra Streisand and Lady Gaga having been in it).

TSes: (J had 2; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got DMZ, à propos (DD), Supernatural, and Bible.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.

While I'm pretty sure I would've got it anyway, I had to laugh because someone I follow on Twitter just did a poll this morning asking which version of A Star is Born do you like best and listing: Janet Gaynor, Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand and Lady Gaga! So funny!

• LOL 5

I was out last night but looked up FJ this morning; I couldn't think of anything at first, then could think of nothing else but War and Peace, but that was due to "war" being right there in the clue, so I was sure I was wrong.

Tonight, my brain decided to take the zone category off; the only thing I both knew and managed to spit out in time was mountain.  If not for that, I'd have had a good first round; I ran grass and court and got all but one in everything else.

I only ran Hammett in DJ, but had a good round; I missed two each in names and spin-offs, but got all but one each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget.

I recognized both Tamara and Ittai, and also had the vague memory I enjoyed both of them the first time around (checking last season's thread for my posts during their runs -- yes, I did).  So, of course, the third dude won.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2024 at 7:31 PM, ams1001 said:

Also could picture the Nefertiti statue but couldn't come up with the name.

Nefertiti never crossed my mind and I went straight to Hatshepsut.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was out last night but looked up FJ this morning; I couldn't think of anything at first, then could think of nothing else but War and Peace, but that was due to "war" being right there in the clue, so I was sure I was wrong.

I saw Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 a couple of weeks ago so I didn't have any other guess.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Nefertiti never crossed my mind and I went straight to Hatshepsut.

Me too, though I wasn't getting my mouth around her name so it came out in a mangled mess.

As for the Leading Ladies FJ clue - I had no idea what they were getting at. My excuse is that I only saw the Lady Gaga version (and was shocked at the ending). But that excuse doesn't work too well because the same is true for the mister and he got it. Oh well.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1

I know this was awhile go but I love that the contestants thought Prince was from Duluth, MN. I yelled at the TV "No! ...but thank you!" I wish we were that cool musically. We've given the world some great voice over artists. Lorenzo Music and Don La Fontaine but musically, we've given the world Bob Dylan, Trampled by Turtles and Cloud Cult plus LOTS of regional polka bands.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Instaget FJ for me on Friday. 

What did the category name “2-3 Zone” have at all to do with the clues? I thought maybe the answers would have 2-3 letters because the first one was DMZ, but then that wasn’t it because another one was a longer word.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

Instaget FJ for me on Friday. 

What did the category name “2-3 Zone” have at all to do with the clues? I thought maybe the answers would have 2-3 letters because the first one was DMZ, but then that wasn’t it because another one was a longer word.

Other than "zone" in most of the answers, I didn't get it either.

• Like 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

It's a basketball term. The last three category titles on that board were all basketball-related -- Full Court Press, 2-3 Zone, and Basketball Coaches (only the last one was actually about basketball). The first two are both defensive strategies... and that's all I know about that (because I didn't read past the first line of the wikipedia snippets).

Edited by ams1001
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Here are a few notes I took last week which can serve to bump up this thread in time for this evening's game:

I am not a strong Jeopardy! player, and had 0/5 for last week's FJs.
Nevertheless:

• Jan 31 Wed:
    • QUESTIONABLE MOVIES TS for $600 was clued:
      "In this 1962 film former child star Bette Davis lives in a crumbling Hollywood mansion with her invalid sister"
      I'm not sure if I've actually seen this movie, but I'm old, so "Bette Davis" instagot me to: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

• A SQUARE MEAL for $200 was clued:
      “The ‘original’ flavor of this century-old woven cracker brand has 3 ingredients: whole grain wheat, canola oil & sea salt.” 
      The correct response was, of course: Triscuit

Although I generally do not eat or drink anything other than water during Jeopardy!
      (because I have enough trouble focusing as it is) 
      …Wednesday evening I did almost choke on my Triscuits
      (“Hint of Sea Salt” flavor with Muenster cheese slices)
      …in my effort to blurt out the answer ahead of the champs.  

• Feb 1 Thurs:
    • DJ, CANADIANS INVADE OUR LIVING ROOM! TS for $2K was clued:
      “The CBC launched the careers of stars like this ‘Bonanza’ actor, known as the ‘Voice of Doom’ on CBC Radio”
      My instaget was: Lorne Greene
      — partly because growing up, my family watched a lot of Bonanza, but also because I happened to see him on an old rerun of an interview recently where the "Voice of Doom" was mentioned. 
      "It's Easy If You Know It."

Canadian Juveria missed this one, but she deservedly wound up advancing to the TOC.
      I hope she does well there too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 8

I didn't get to see game one of the finals, as I was with a friend and her cat at the emergency vet (kitty is fine now), and when I got home and checked the archive I realized that was a good thing -- not my game!  But I did very well in game two.

I'm glad Juveria won. 

And I'm looking forward to being able to discuss games here again; it was kind of weird to not "be with" y'all during the finals.

• Like 15