Type keyword(s) to search

CBS: Completely Brainless Slop! (And Other Shows.)

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

I'm really enjoying this special episode broadcast from England and featuring Brits, but, why nothing about Mother's Day?  Hmmmm.... I missed the first few minutes.  Maybe, I missed it. 

8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm really enjoying this special episode broadcast from England and featuring Brits, but, why nothing about Mother's Day?  Hmmmm.... I missed the first few minutes.  Maybe, I missed it. 

No, there was nothing about Mother's Day. I would have liked to cut out one of the segments (maybe the lady who collects all the royal junk) and show the Kew Gardens instead. I am surprised by how many Americans know nothing about this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage site. We are going to London in July and Kew is definitely on our list.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

No, there was nothing about Mother's Day. I would have liked to cut out one of the segments (maybe the lady who collects all the royal junk) and show the Kew Gardens instead. I am surprised by how many Americans know nothing about this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage site. We are going to London in July and Kew is definitely on our list.

HOW EXCITING.  I just love England.  I hope your trip is awesome.  I'd love it if you post about your adventures upon your return. I'm not sure where it would fit around this site, but, PM me, if you think about it. 

I wonder why they didn't throw something into the episode about mothers.  I mean, why not in the little commentary? ??

@SunnyBeBe, sure, I will be glad to post a little about our trip, but not enough to bore everyone! We are mainly going for Wimbledon but will also have time for sightseeing. 

I agree with your comments about Mother's Day. Maybe they could have done a segment on Mother's Day in the UK? Anyway, I hope you had a good one! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SVNBob said:

UK Mother's Day is in April, I think.

And that would have been interesting to note! Start the segment witht HMD to moms in the US and did you know that...blah, blah, blah....and here's why it's celebrated in April.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, SVNBob said:

UK Mother's Day is in April, I think.

Actually, it's in March - I was super confused on vacation there in late February, early March, because they had lots of Mother's Day commercials going on, and it turned out that it was the weekend after I left - which I believe put it on March 11 this year?

(edited)

Either way, Mother's Day had long passed this year in the UK before this weekend.  Which explains why there wasn't a segment about it on the CBS show in question.

Edited by SVNBob
clarity

Ref. CBS Sunday Morning.  Steve Martin and Martin Short featured.  They are touring.  The name of the show is A Show That You Will Forget For The Rest Of Your Life! lol  God, I love those guys.  They still make me lol.   They remind me of the saying, If you love what you do, you never have to work a day in your life. 

On 5/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. CBS Sunday Morning.  Steve Martin and Martin Short featured.  They are touring.  The name of the show is A Show That You Will Forget For The Rest Of Your Life! lol  God, I love those guys.  They still make me lol.   They remind me of the saying, If you love what you do, you never have to work a day in your life. 

It's available on Netflix.  We just watched the show that was taped in Greenville, South Carolina.  It is so funny!  Both Steve Martin and Martin Short had some hilarious bits!  

On 5/15/2018 at 12:53 AM, SVNBob said:

Either way, Mother's Day had long passed this year in the UK before this weekend.  Which explains why there wasn't a segment about it on the CBS show in question.

Mother's Day in the UK is tied to the calendar for Lent.  It's called Mothering Sunday and always falls on Refreshment Sunday, which is the fourth Sunday of Lent.  DD lives in the UK, and always buys my "Mum's Day" card then so she'll have one to give/send on our US Mother's Day.

21 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm a fan of CBS Sunday Morning, but must admit I ff through any piece with Rita Braver.  She seems like a really nice woman, but her voice makes me want to cough!!!

I think she is a good interviewer but she makes me feel like I'm struggling for breath. I guess she is/was a smoker. My favs are Lee Cowan and Steve Hartman. 

• Love 3

Forgot about Mo! I love him, too! There is one reporter (is her name Tracy?) who is very attractive and interviews a lot of the famous people. I feel like she flirts with them too much. That may just be my incorrect assessment and I'm sorry if I'm imagining that about her. I also like Martha Tichner (sp). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Forgot about Mo! I love him, too! There is one reporter (is her name Tracy?) who is very attractive and interviews a lot of the famous people. I feel like she flirts with them too much. That may just be my incorrect assessment and I'm sorry if I'm imagining that about her. I also like Martha Tichner (sp). 

I don't think your assessment is incorrect.  I've noticed it too & find it very annoying!!!

The segment on CBS Sunday Morning about the Flight 93 memorial in PA with the wind chimes was one of the most moving things I’ve ever seen or heard (along with the 9/11 memorial in NYC.) That is beautiful and I hope to visit it, and hear it, someday. What an amazing tribute to those heroes.?

• Love 3

CBS has the worst streaming app.  Took me 2 hours tonight to get through Survivor because it constantly pauses for several minutes at a time every few minutes.  No other network app has this problem (I.e., it’s not my iPad or WiFi).  And they want people to pay for this crap?

55 years ago today.

Everyone is familiar with the TV coverage led by Walter Cronkite on CBS on this fateful day in 1963, but here is the coverage on CBS radio, via WCBS in New York. The death announcement is made at 26:53; the Star Spangled Banner starts playing at 27:25. 

Believe it or not, the radio announcement was a full 20 minutes before Walter Cronkite made the announcement on TV! Dan Rather, who was reporting from Dallas, talks about that day here:

Here are also two other radio reports from two other CBS radio affiliates: KNX in Los Angeles, and KRLD in Dallas, which starts from the beginning of the parade route. Absolutely chilling.

All of this is courtesy of this AMAZING JFK YouTube channel created by David Von Pein; truly a rabbit hole. I will be sharing the ABC/NBC radio and TV coverage on their respective threads as well--which, like the radio coverage on CBS, might be even more fascinating, given how little we often see it compared to the coverage from CBS.

And while he does not yet have the full CBS-TV coverage posted (not that that's too hard to find elsewhere), he DOES have this CBS Evening News broadcast that aired that night:

Two more pieces of trivia, related to two CBS shows:

1. The pilot of Gilligan's Island was also taped this very same day 55 years ago; it premiered one year later.

2. An episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show involving Richie's birthday party was also taped that same day, but due to the events earlier that afternoon, it would be the only episode to NOT include a live studio audience. 

• Love 4

From December 13th, 1963: Judy Garland performs "Battle Hymn of the Republic" on her self-titled variety show, which aired for two seasons on CBS. Despite not being allowed to say so on the air, this was a tribute to JFK.

• Love 2

UYI,

I saw the CBS coverage  of that horrific day( decades after the fact) and among other trivial things of note: the cast of As the World Turns evidently not only didn't know what had happened in Dallas while they were performing the show, they kept performing the script in the studio for some minutes without it being broadcast- unaware that the network had permanently taken their show off the air that day to prioritize the coverage.

Also, one of the commercials was for a fabric softener featuring Martha Raye playing (for laughs) the Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe overwhelmed by ironing and all her kids but happily singing the praises for the fabric softener that due to it,  she could now spend time with her baby (herself in a bonnet and blanket).  This commercial came at a somewhat awkward time in Miss Raye's career as her own variety show had been cancelled seven years earlier yet this was seven years before she'd revamp herself as the Bugaloos' Benita Bizarre.  

It should be noted that the first half hour of Special Bulletins were audio-only because they were frantically trying to warm up the camera equipment in the newsroom in the meantime. Also, immediately after one of the first Special Bulletins, there was an announcement for then-popular detective drama Route 66 's impending episode later that evening . However; that was NOT to be the case. I wonder if that announcement had been prerecorded and due to be plugged during one of the soap's breaks but the network had not officially yet killed the scheduled programming from being shown. 

It would be another four days before the network would resume regular programming but the nation had been through the wringer via Presidential Assassination to Oswald's Murder on live television to President Kennedy's funeral with his son's devastating salute! 

Edited by Blergh
bolding turns
  • Love 1

Is there going to be a change CBS This Morning?  I read somewhere that Gail King is leaving; I have also read that due to low ratings (since Charlie Rose left) there would be a personnel shake-up and that no one would be exempt.

The 40 year celebration for CBS Sunday Morning was great. I loved seeing the “Sun Lady,” reliving some of the segments, the signature trumpet opening and especially the featured photographers of the nature moments. I know they said there are many photographers who contribute but the one who was snapping the bighorn sheep moved me when he talked about how much it means to him when folks associate this show with the nature moments. Although the show’s segments are usually very interesting, the nature moments are by far my favorite part. I remembered many of the retrospective segments but I didn’t remember the one about the lady with MS whose neighbors come over to put her to bed every night. It brought me to tears. What great people! 

No one I know watches this show and I can’t understand why. I much prefer it over 60 Minutes. 

Also, Jane Pauley is aging well and her haircut is adorable. I snapped some pics of it to show my hairstylist and may get  mine cut like it. 

• Love 2

I have no idea if anyone can answer this question or not....but here goes.  I thought I would try the cbs access (free week)  Then I wanted to cancel before the week was up.  I have called (had to hold for 30 minutes)  How do I get out of this?  emailed 4 times..

@Barb1959

if you downloaded the app via the iTunes Store the instructions state if you turn off auto renew you won’t be billed - I am not a CBS All Access subscriber but I’m guessing you need to go into the settings for the app on your device (I’m talking specifically about an Apple device, it may be the same with other versions).  I hope this helps.  

Thanks Cobb....I finally got it done.  They had already charged my card.  I finally had to threaten to call a lawyer before she said she would do me a favor and refund my card.  lol  I will never try a "free" week on anything again!

• Love 2

Dang it, Steve Hartman! You REALLY got me today on CBS Sunday Morning with your story about the vet, her dog Moxie and service dog in training Tiny Tim. How do you do it week after week! Returns to chopping onions. 😢

• Love 1

Some interesting segments on CBS Sunday Morning today, but also some slop. I couldn’t FF fast enough through the Ree Drummond segment and then the lengthy Jim Gaffigan piece. But the rest of the show was good. The closing of small town hospitals was heartbreaking. I am so sorry for those small communities and those life and death situations. The book binding by hand story was fascinating but I think I saw a typo on one of the pages of the book they opened up at the end. It is a poetry book and it said “...as nothing renders all, as grace comes through the bittter fall.” How ironic to have a typo in a beautiful book that took a lot of time to hand bind! Loved the tree chairs segment. Wow, I’d love one of those. Mo is a good host! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2019 at 10:37 PM, Barb1959 said:

Thanks Cobb....I finally got it done.  They had already charged my card.  I finally had to threaten to call a lawyer before she said she would do me a favor and refund my card.  lol  I will never try a "free" week on anything again!

I tried a 12 week trial subscription of the NY Times (& it wasn't even free--just at a reduced rate). Toward the end of 12 weeks, I contacted the phone # provided to say I did not want to subscribe. The woman I dealt with went through some gobbledegook reason of why I was now fully subscribed, that I hadn't contacted them in time to stop the paper. It made no sense. Something just made me feel I was dealing not with the NYT but a contracting company. So I called the NYT directly, spoke with someone in customer service, and was told not to worry, that this would be taken care of. And it was. I'll never try any of these "deals" again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2019 at 1:26 PM, Kemper said:

Is there going to be a change CBS This Morning?  I read somewhere that Gail King is leaving; I have also read that due to low ratings (since Charlie Rose left) there would be a personnel shake-up and that no one would be exempt.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, Kemper said:

Any comments on the CBS This Morning shakeup?  

I think it's unfortunate that that  featherweight moron Gayle King is staying and the other two co-hosts are moving on. I hate the way she inserts herself into every story and makes it about her. She would have no career if not for Oprah.

I like Norah O'Donnell; I think she's informed and professional. While I'm glad she's continuing on CBS, I felt sorry for Jeff Glor tonight, when he said good-bye on this evening's broadcast. I didn't care for him at first, but I can't help feeling he got the shaft undeservedly.

I haven't cared for John Dickerson since I watched the Sunday morning news show he used to do where he whiffed questions to the guest when he should have been grilling her for the lies she was spewing. 

(edited)

I used to watch CBS news, but I lost patience with the revolving door.  I liked  Scott Pelley's voice and delivery.  I felt like Scott got the shaft, but I gave Jeff Glor a chance and liked him too.  I have family connections to Texas and Western NY, so both Pelley (Lubbock) and Glor (Buffalo) felt comfortable to me.  Glor seemed especially nice and was totally screwed in the most recent switch. 

At least Pelley could returm to his prestigious spot on 60 Minutes. He is a classic newsman in the old sense, like Rather and is also very sexy ( saw him in DC a few years ago).  I wish ABC or NBC would pick him up and make him an anchor.

I am not even going to bother getting attached to Norah.  She seems like a nice enough person, but I get a very "try hard" feeling from her news delivery, as if she is playing a news anchor on a TV drama.  Let's face it, CBS will probably push her out within a year.  I will probably just watch cable news or ESPN at 6:30 instead of the network.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 3
On 7/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, nittanycougar said:

I used to watch CBS news, but I lost patience with the revolving door.  I liked  Scott Pelley's voice and delivery.  I felt like Scott got the shaft, but I gave Jeff Glor a chance and liked him too.  I have family connections to Texas and Western NY, so both Pelley (Lubbock) and Glor (Buffalo) felt comfortable to me.  Glor seemed especially nice and was totally screwed in the most recent switch. 

At least Pelley could returm to his prestigious spot on 60 Minutes. He is a classic newsman in the old sense, like Rather and is also very sexy ( saw him in DC a few years ago).  I wish ABC or NBC would pick him up and make him an anchor.

I am not even going to bother getting attached to Norah.  She seems like a nice enough person, but I get a very "try hard" feeling from her news delivery, as if she is playing a news anchor on a TV drama.  Let's face it, CBS will probably push her out within a year.  I will probably just watch cable news or ESPN at 6:30 instead of the network.

I agree with your observations. Scott Pelley was great -- had the right amount of gravitas (and was a hot silver daddy). They got rid of him for the evening news because of contact negotiations (or so they said), but I think it was more because he called something Trump said a "lie," with no waffling about "misrepresented" or "misstated."

I said above that I think Jeff Glor got the shaft (even though I don't think he was suited for the anchor spot -- too stiff), but he went out like a class act his last broadcast.

Norah O'Donnell is a try-too-hard. I liked her on the morning show, but she's not suited here. Plus, I've noticed that she sometimes drops editorial asides at the end of a story. Just report the story, Norah.

• Love 1