Type keyword(s) to search

CBS: Completely Brainless Slop! (And Other Shows.)

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

I'm suggesting this as a topic because I want to discuss the upcoming CBS season.  Does it have to have suggested sub-topics?  I tried to post this earlier today, but I clicked on Preview Post, and what I'd written disappeared. 

Looks like it took this time?

Did anyone watch the fall season new show preview that was on last night?  I missed most it.  The new Laurie Metcalf (Jackie from Roseanne, not sure what else she's been in lately) might not be dreadful.

Also interesting that some of the day and time slots changes were mentioned at the end of the program, but no mention was made of The Amazing Race moving to Friday nights.

CBS has enjoyed the prestige that TAR brings, but I don't think CBS really likes the show. The Amazing Race has had so many night and time changes that it's insane to think anything else. Yes, there is trying to have blocks of similar programming, but I also remember the Race/Case/Trace block. After football, the shows were The Amazing Race, Cold Case, and Without A Trace

Seasons 1 through 3 were on Wednesdays at 9PM Eastern. S4 was Thursdays at 8PM. S5 was Tuesdays at 10PM. Then seasons 6 through 8 were Tuesdays at 9PM. For season 9, the show was aired on Tuesdays at 9, Tuesdays at 10, and Wednesdays at 8! In one season!

CBS then hit the long-time slot of Sundays at 8PM Eastern for seasons 10 through 24, where all of the Sunday line-up had to deal with football game run-over.

This upcoming season/series is number 25 and it will be on Fridays for the first time in twenty-five goes on the schedule. (I don't mind because I can watch this before going to darker fare on NBC!) Granted, eight or nine day and time changes out of 25 seasons isn't horrible, but the lack of attention (except when it snags an Emmy) it gets overall is not cool, imo.  If there had been about half the Scorpion and Stalker promos, and a smidge of that ad love given to TAR, I'd be happier.

Not that I want bad to befall either of the other shows, but the ads for Scorpion make me feel like I don't really have to watch the pilot! Then there's the Stalker promos; tryin' to be spooky and edgy and Cautionary Tale, but coming across like a subpar episode of Criminal Minds. I want to like Maggie Q and Dylan McDermott! Stop making hi-def, creep-love ads in order to get me to watch, CBS! I will not be willingly watching your nasty show on nasty criminals, based solely on your promos.

• Love 1

While there seems to be the usual abundance of cop shows, I am intrigued with the potential directions Person of Interest may be taking this season. I also am interested in checking in on NCIS: New Orleans for the Lucas Black and the CCH Pounder.

I am hoping that The Big Bang Theory thrives in it's Monday spot. Hopefully, Two and a Half Men has not been transplanted as well, so it can go through it's final season without mooching folks from TBBT who don't turn the channel.

As much as I enjoy the cast of The Millers, I hate that show with the fire of a thousand nuns. It needs to be nuked from space just to be safe. Yet, Mom may have me checking in from time to time. The cast is good together and seems to have a good mix of sweet and raucous.

Obviously, YMMV, but that's half the fun, right? *g*

CBS is just awful on Sunday evenings with the stupid football run over. It's impossible to watch or record anything.

We were hoping to see Madam Secretary and The Good Wife tonight, but it's already over half an hour behind. I'm not dealing with another season of this. Maybe over the holidays I'll try to watch them On Demand from Communistcast.

CBS is just awful on Sunday evenings with the stupid football run over. It's impossible to watch or record anything.

This is why this upcoming season of The Amazing Race will be the first one I've seen in years.  I couldn't keep track of the time shifts because of run-over.  And it's a shame, because I love TAR.

• Love 1

I am cautiously optimistic about CBS getting into super-heroes with Supergirl.  I am not sure how she will fare on Monday nights, but I may end up watching Kara live and see my darker heroes from Gotham at a later time.

I also like that The Odd Couple got a chance to get stronger.

Looks like CBS is doing something a bit different with their Saturday morning educational/syndicated block* by airing a half-hour scripted drama, titled "The Inspectors."**

Synopsis via TV Insider:

First up is The Inspectors (10:30 a.m./9:30c), a drama series set in Washington, D.C., that’s inspired by real-life crime cases handled by the United States Postal Inspection Service. The series focuses on teenager Preston Wainwright (Bret Green), who is now thriving after being paralyzed in a car accident. Preston works as an intern alongside his U.S. Postal Inspector mom, Amanda (Jessica Lundy), and together they solve crimes involving internet scams, identity and mail theft, and consumer fraud. The series strives to educate young people about making the right choices in life, encouraging open communication between kids and parents, and delivers positive messages about living with disabilities, overcoming challenges, and the power of perseverance.

The series started filming in April and looks to have already wrapped up its first season (looks to be 22 episodes). Per his Twitter, Carlos Bernard (of 24 fame) has directed a few of the episodes and based on the ever-reliable IMDb, looks to be either playing the lead character's father or another family member (but is only listed for a few episodes).

*The block is branded "CBS Dream Team" but the time slots are sold to and managed by a third-party company (Wikipedia).

**I saw a mention of this on Twitter because one of my accounts follows the USPS. And, I was like what the heck is this, because I didn't remember that show being part of CBS' upfront announcements or anything else.

• Love 2

Not the point, SVNBob.  I'm trying to watch a 2-hour debate tonight and the graphics and camerawork are terrible.  What they do in the future won't help tonight's quality, or lack thereof.

Or they bought one dress and pass it around to save on the wardrobe budget.

Having three of their highly visible employees wear it within the space of a few days is kinda tacky, IMO, unless there's a product placement deal involved. Plus, the dress is not all that. But whatever, if they're going to have their staff share wardrobe like this, maybe they should hire someone to make sure it doesn't show up on three of their shows at pretty much the same time. I think the dress started to look like it was being treated as some kind of daytime TV uniform.

(Also, the soaps are taped in LA weeks in advance and the CBS Morning Show is taped in NY. Would they really have flown the dress across the country so a stand-in news anchor could wear it?)

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

OK, they're playing the piece now. Still, somebody must have screwed up and I'd be interested to know what happened.

ETA: The Bowie segment was two minutes. That was not cool.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 1

Did CBS buy this dress in bulk? Characters on both of their daytime soaps wore it last week and today one of the anchors is wearing it on CBS This Morning.

I wonder if it's something similar to the whole "why are so many female meteorologists wearing the same dress" thing from last fall.  Short version:  it was cheap and met the wardrobe standards.  Long version:  http://www.techinsider.io/female-meteorologists-all-wearing-same-dress-2015-11

• Love 2
(edited)

I really need to figure out how to move quotes to orher threads.

ON JUNE 9, 2016 AT 0:16 AM,  @PIVOT SAID:  I have to wonder who is willing to shell out money for CBS All Access. The other networks are free with ads and CBS wants people to pay a monthly fee for their small catalog? Especially when almost all of their shows are in syndication and can be streamed on another channel for free (with cable subscription).

quote from @ParadoxLost I'm not. But maybe the difference is new content.  They are launching with a new Star Trek.  I think there is also a Good Wife spin off.

I'm trying to think of any on line platforms where the new content isn't part of a subscription and not coming up with much.

I didn't realize there was new content. I was stunned when, a couple few years back, they announced they would charge for anything.

I have the NBC, ABC and Fox apps and they're all free so I figured CBS must have given up that business model by now.

I went to get the CBS app just to watch regular programming and was amazed that they still required payment. 

I declined.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I really need to figure out how to move quotes to orher threads.

Use the quote button with the plus next to it.  This is not only a multi-quote (so you can quote multiple sources before replying), but even if only quoting one post you can use it move to another thread.    Click it, navigate to the desired thread and the "quote 1 post" button will reappear when you get there.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

I'm trying to think of any on line platforms where the new content isn't part of a subscription and not coming up with much.

I didn't realize there was new content. I was stunned when, a couple few years back, they announced they would charge for anything.

I have the NBC, ABC and Fox apps and they're all free so I figured CBS must have given up that business model by now.
I went to get the CBS app just to watch regular programming and was amazed that they still required payment. 

I declined.

That was smart to decline, because even with the subscription, you still see commercials.  I looked into CBS AllAccess, and the web comments on it are quite disparaging. 

• Love 3

I am a Pelley fan and I'm furious that he's being taken off the Evening News.  I'm glad he'll still be on 60 Minutes, but I don't know what Les is thinking.  I can't imagine I'll continue watching.

• Love 1

Not surprised re Mr. Pelley. Don't forget they hired Katie Couric as an anchor while ignoring Christiane Amanpour and other far more capable and qualified personnel on their staff. What were they thinking hiring her and firing Mr. Pelley?

Is anyone watching CBS Sunday morning since the new host Jane Pauley has taken over?  I'm not sure if she's the permanent host, but, I think she's doing a good job.  Here's a link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/

Yesterday, which was Father's Day, was a pretty good episode. I liked the segment on the Monterey Music Festival (50 Year Anniversary!)  What I did find most disturbing and NOT funny was the piece by Jim Gaffigans on Love Letter to his Beard.  That's the best they could get for a Father's Day segment?  It really made me wonder about who in the hell is in charge there.  Sometimes, people try way too hard to be funny and creative. It's sad when it doesn't work. I suspect Jim is the only one who was amused by his piece.   I wish someone at CBS had put the stops on this.  With all the things in the world about dads, he pays tribute to his beard.  Why does CBS continue with this guy?  Boggles the mind. 

On 6/19/2017 at 0:18 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone watching CBS Sunday morning since the new host Jane Pauley has taken over?  I'm not sure if she's the permanent host, but, I think she's doing a good job.

She's the permanent host, but she's been gone a lot lately; they've had guest hosts for several weeks it seems. I don't care for her. I don't think she has the warmth of Charles Osgood, and I really do think Lee Cowan or Steve Hartman would be better. I really enjoy the show when they're on.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, SmithW6079 said:

She's the permanent host, but she's been gone a lot lately; they've had guest hosts for several weeks it seems. I don't care for her. I don't think she has the warmth of Charles Osgood, and I really do think Lee Cowan or Steve Hartman would be better. I really enjoy the show when they're on.

I've been unavailable for the last month on Sundays, but, I look forward to the week after next, when I will be able to watch it again. 

I was able to watch some of CBS Sunday Morning today and was amused by a couple of pieces they did.  One was on Joe Scarboro  and finance/co-host Mika.  Mmmmm....... I was a little surprised, but, not really on some things.  I loved Mika's haven in Connecticut.  I can't see her giving that up.  I did learn that they work much more than the few hours we see them on air.  I have often wondered why are out so much.  

I am casting a side-eye on CBS celebrating Charles Kuralt.  I enjoyed him too, until I found out he was a polygamist with the wife in Connecticut and then the "family" in Montana.  Seems like all these guys with their folksy values all end up with hookers, illegitimate children or some other kind of bad habit.

• Love 3
On June 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone watching CBS Sunday morning since the new host Jane Pauley has taken over?  I'm not sure if she's the permanent host, but, I think she's doing a good job.  Here's a link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/

Yesterday, which was Father's Day, was a pretty good episode. I liked the segment on the Monterey Music Festival (50 Year Anniversary!)  What I did find most disturbing and NOT funny was the piece by Jim Gaffigans on Love Letter to his Beard.  That's the best they could get for a Father's Day segment?  It really made me wonder about who in the hell is in charge there.  Sometimes, people try way too hard to be funny and creative. It's sad when it doesn't work. I suspect Jim is the only one who was amused by his piece.   I wish someone at CBS had put the stops on this.  With all the things in the world about dads, he pays tribute to his beard.  Why does CBS continue with this guy?  Boggles the mind. 

This show is must see for me. I like Jane and am glad they picked her to host. She is a pleasant, lovely person who  looks damn good for 67. Once in a while there is a segment that I may FF through, but not often. Most segments are interesting and informative. And my favorite is the moment of nature at the end. I do FF when Gaffigans is on. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

This show is must see for me. I like Jane and am glad they picked her to host. She is a pleasant, lovely person who  looks damn good for 67. Once in a while there is a segment that I may FF through, but not often. Most segments are interesting and informative. And my favorite is the moment of nature at the end. I do FF when Gaffigans is on. 

I'm glad I'm not alone in this.  There is something that I find comforting about watching this show on Sunday mornings.  I do miss it if I go to church, but, I try to catch up.  I love the nature scenes as well!  

• Love 4

I do FF when Gaffigans is on. 

Same here. And Faith Salie. But I like Mo Rocca's segments. And when Ted Koppel does pieces too, he's a national treasure.

What does surprise me about the show is that I always thought it was a gentle snoozefest for older people but in the past year I have seen Liam Gallagher, Chrissie Hynde, even a bit on Jessica Simpson's clothes business. 

I am casting a side-eye on CBS celebrating Charles Kuralt.  I enjoyed him too, until I found out he was a polygamist with the wife in Connecticut and then the "family" in Montana.  Seems like all these guys with their folksy values all end up with hookers, illegitimate children or some other kind of bad habit.

You know you could have knocked me over with a feather but I googled it and dayum, Kuralt was practically a bigamist. The Web was technically around when this all broke (2000, when his partner in Montana sued for some property he had promised her when he died) but things didn't take off like wildfire like it would have today.

I never liked him. I found the folksy demeanor laid on pretty thick. Little did I know!

• Love 3

CBS Sunday Morning.  Oh my.....what can you say about a school teacher who volunteers a kidney to her student's mom, who is in desperate need for a transplant?  OMG.  Some people are just really incredible.  Puts me to shame. 

• Love 1

Today's episode of CBS Sunday Morning was particularly good---the hologram technology (I want to see Maria Callas in concert!), the bubbles guy (so cool), Ed Sheeran (I want fish and chips with vinegar too!), Neil Diamond (sad), the marvelous Marilyn Maye (I so remember that Lincoln Mercury commercial with the cougar on the sign), and frozen Niagara Falls at the end---it was really entertaining and informative.

• Love 2
On 12/19/2017 at 6:49 PM, WritinMan said:

I don't care for this Jeff Glor fellow doing the CBS Evening News. He has the personality of a dirt clod.

Yes! He sounds like he can't open his mouth wide enough to annunciate clearly, and he speaks in monotone. How could they replace silver fox Scott Pelley with this guy?

• Love 1

CBS Sunday Morning did it again! They gave me a thoroughly entertaining and informative show today. Every segment was interesting....puffin rescue, Grant Wood, Janelle Monae, the gorgeous Denzel, the listening lady, the NASA designer turned janitor, the barbershop quartet piece and the in memorium segment. I didn't know the Schoolhouse Rock guy passed this week! This show really crams a lot of value into 90 minutes. 

• Love 2