Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Duggars & Mothers

When the Dillards and the Seewalds come over for a Mother's Day lunch, Jim Bob has a surprise question for one of the guests.  Jill Duggar is getting married!  And with the wedding only a few short months away, the first Duggar daughter to get married is diving right into planning this Duggar-sized event.
Edited by JerseyGirl

Totally grossed out when watching Josie as everyone left to take Ben to his room in the "guest house." She had her face up against the window next to the door, with her mouth pressed against the glass, and you could see the drool running down the glass as she stepped away.  Ewww.

Ben is dumber than that tree they need to uproot.

• Love 3

I have started to feel sorry for Bin. What an awful room they gave him, upstairs in the warehouse with no outside windows and I will bet that there is no AC there. I guess it is a way for Bin to learn what his spot is in the Duggar family.

• Love 2

Michelle said at the end of the episode that her family is "barefoot and backyard" type people. Referring to looking at fancy wedding venues with Jill & Derick. LMFAO.

I really liked this episode. I was surprised at how relaxed and snarky the kids were! Especially Jessa & Joyanna! From talking about the "mansion" that JB was letting Jill & Derick live in until they sell it, to Joy talking about charging money for chaperoning and being snarky to Ben.

• Love 2

I have felt sorry for Ben from the moment he entered into the courtship. He's young, immature, and has his shortcomings, but no one deserves the treatment he has gotten from the family thus far. He must truly be head over heels for Jessa because most guys would have peaced out by now not only because of the suffocating courtship rules, but the constant disrespect. 

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 4

I felt bad for Derick's mother.They needed to bring in more people aka a chaperone into the room because Jill and Derick may try to get it on while visiting his mother. I am surprise the hospital would allow this. Tacky, tacky, and did I say tacky. I think his brother could care less for the Duggars.

Some of the kids were not happy Jill and Derick were getting a nice house. Staying in the house until it sells. Good cover JimBoob. NOT!!!

Mullet had the idea of inviting the families over, but she would not help out. I did not feel too much love for her when the kids were saying Happy Mother Day.

I am wondering if Boob really doesn't like Bin, seeing the crappy accomodations he gave him. And how can Michelle say they are barefoot and backyard people. I saw on the Pickles and Hairspray page that Boob owns a small airplane, and then there's the bus, and the thousands of gallons of fuel wasted following political candidates. It's just selective cheapness.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 5

Wow, how epic were the bitch faces on Josh and Anna when they found out Derick and Jill were getting a big, newly renovated house? Even Jana seemed kind of bitchy about it.

Ben's reaction when JimBob asked him to move up to Springdale was priceless. Judging by his face you'd have thought Boob was asking if he wanted daily rectal exams or something. He didn't seem entirely thrilled and he didn't even say yes until Steve Carrell jumped in and railroaded him. And yes, a windowless room in a mice infested warehouse...how welcoming...

The kids' statements about Michelle seemed totally forced. When Jana was talking about Michelle being kind and loving, her eyes kept shifting to the side, which is a telltale sign of lying. 

I felt horrible for Derick in regards to his mother's illness. I adored Derick's brother's passive-aggressive comment about how the Duggars have "grown on him." Translation: I can't stand these effing people.

Also note to the J'Slaves: Tie your friggin hair up when you're cooking!!! Ugh, their food sucks bad enough as it is. The last thing people need is to find scraggly, frizzed out strands of hair in their Stouffer's lasagna.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

Oh, where to begin?

1. Bin's and Jim Boob's new working relationship.  Talk about control!  Jim Boob has Bin by the short hairs and he definitely knows it.  That room they put him in is just sad, right down to the sad little single bed and the deer heads on the walls.  I wondered during the family dinner why the hell Bin's parents were accepting this.  They have to realize that their son is not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, but they're basically throwing him to the extremely Christian wolves.  There were moments during Bin's scenes when he just seemed so utterly lost and naive.  It made me kind of sad.  He will never realize just how negatively the Duggars view him.  In the real world, a dopey kid like that would never have gotten to this point with a girl who looks like Jessa.  They would have "fellowshipped" like bunny rabbits many, many times, but that's as far as it would have gotten.

2. Jill and Derick.  I still really, really like Derick.  I still have high hopes for his individuality shining through at some point and his possible refusal to toe the Duggar party line.  Jill, of course, is obedient to the extreme, but Derick has lived a little bit of "normal" life and I can only hope that it'll rub off on her.  (Side note: I couldn't believe my eyes when a chaperone accompanied Jill and Derick to the hospital to visit his very ill mother.  Wow.  No other words for that.)

3. The Mother's Day wishes for Michelle.  What. A. Joke.  The older girls should have received 90% of those well-wishes, given that they raise the children by any conceivable definition of motherhood.

4. Joy Anna's newfound maturity.  I loved her self-confidence as she drove Bin around the property, pointing out all of the jobs he'll be assigned.  She really seemed to know what she was talking about.

5. Jana!  She looks so sad.  I have a strong urge to drive to Arkansas, pick her up, and give her a whirlwind introduction to normalcy.  There's definitely a lot more going on inside her head than meets the eye.

DUGGARS, YOU'VE SUCKERED ME INTO YET ANOTHER SEASON!

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6

5. Jana! She looks so sad. I have a strong urge to drive to Arkansas, pick her up, and give her a whirlwind introduction to normalcy. There's definitely a lot more going on inside her head than meets the eye.

DUGGARS, YOU'VE SUCKERED ME INTO YET ANOTHER SEASON!

Which is strange, because nothing would cheer me up more than cleaning out a tub in a mansion so that my engaged younger sister can birth her babies there someday. Wah-wah. Edited by redbird
  • Love 13

Hey, was this an episode on tonight???   My house burned and is totally uninhabitable and will be for a long time.  I'm in a hotel with only a few cable channels, few of which I ever watch, and no public tv either, so I'll miss the Roosevelt mini-series, Midwives, and Downtown Abbey.  Where can I find TV on line?  Please somebody, HELP

I thought Jill did a lovely job with the smallest children and painting, and I thought here is someone who has a real talent for young children. It would be nice if that talent could be used outside her own family because I think she really could offer people who have had very little something lovely, but no, she will be tied down so quickly that it will be hard for her to give anything to anyone else. I'm reminded of the parable of the talents, and and the man who hid his under a bush - only it's Gothard's teachings that have hidden hers.

I don't usually go into "the kids don't like their parents" games, but there was no missing the lack of warmth in Jana's Mother's Day greeting.

• Love 4

I felt bad for Derick's mother.They needed to bring in more people aka a chaperone into the room because Jill and Derick may try to get it on while visiting his mother. I am surprise the hospital would allow this. Tacky, tacky, and did I say tacky. I think his brother could care less for the Duggars.

Some of the kids were not happy Jill and Derick were getting a nice house. Staying in the house until it sells. Good cover JimBoob. NOT!!!

Mullet had the idea of inviting the families over, but she would not help out. I did not feel too much love for her when the kids were saying Happy Mother Day.

I noticed that, too.  Michelle's exact words when she announced the Mother's Day dinner were: "Maybe you girls will want to head that up and organize the food . . . ?"  Cut to the girls' less-than-enthusiastic faces.  These poor girls never had a childhood.  

• Love 2

Hey, was this an episode on tonight???   My house burned and is totally uninhabitable and will be for a long time.  I'm in a hotel with only a few cable channels, few of which I ever watch, and no public tv either, so I'll miss the Roosevelt mini-series, Midwives, and Downtown Abbey.  Where can I find TV on line?  Please somebody, HELP

There is Hulu that offers a lot of free programming and you can always go to the tv network's web sites. I know that PBS usually has their programs on line.

• Love 2

PREACH!

I was incredulous regarding that whole episode. That debacle about needing chaperones at the hospital was b/s!!!!!! That was nothing but a public display of pompous piety. I'm 100% sure that sex was the furthest thing from Derek or Jill's mind. Shame on the Duggars for not giving this more thought. Derek should absolutely be entitled to a hug or physical connection from his fiance when dealing with something so monumentally difficult as watching a loved one fight cancer. Even if it's their own rules about purity and wanting accountability, any rational, non-famewhorish family would've pulled Jill aside and said, "we trust you guys and this (the public display of purity) isn't as important as supporting each other through this". A front hug isn't evil! Derek's brother, mother, or even the GD camera crew would've been adequate witnesses to defend Jill's honor unnecessarily.

• Love 7

I thought Michelle's comment about the girls organizing the dinner was a glimpse into what's been going on for about the last decade. Michelle is the most useless, lazy thing I have ever seen. I wonder what she was going to be doing while the girls shopped, cooked and served dinner for a several dozen people. I want to reach through the screen and smack Michelle.

Also I felt really bad for Derrick, dealing with his Mom's cancer, a new job, getting reacclimated to life in the US, the wedding and the dog and pony show. How much can one guy take? He's probably wishing he could turn back the clock to the day he said he'd be Boob's prayer partner.

• Love 6

K- I was only half paying attention but did Anna actually allude to the fact that the newlyweds would be "gettin after it" so much that her and her a-hole hubby couldn't stay in the mansion when they come to visit??

He looked at her like he wanted to smack the fresh right out of her mouth. ..go Anna!

• Love 3

Micks Picks ~ Hulu free on your computer, Hulu Plus pay for added shows, Netflix, Crackle, Amazon, Popcorn and many of the network and cable sites stream their own shows like ABC Go. Now if you want illegal downloads you can find them but watch out...

• Love 3

Did Anna actually allude to the fact that the newlyweds would be "gettin after it" so much that her and her a-hole hubby couldn't stay in the mansion when they come to visit??

Yes Anna did say exactly that. So that's why they have to stay with Boob and Michelle, I think she said in the "guesthouse." She probably wants the perks of the Duggar homestead - free childcare, maid service and cooked meals that the J'Slaves provide.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 1

When JoyAnna was driving Ben around the property I was reminded of Christopher Walken in Annie Hall driving Woody around.  Made me LOL.

Just what an 18 yr old boy wants in his bedroom....paintings done by 5 yr olds hanging on the walls.  

The scene in the hospital with Derrick's mom was too much.  Made me way too sad.

Mackenzie is one of the cutest little kids I've ever seen.  I just love her.

Sorry but having 19 kids doesn't make you a mother.  Only experience and loving care do.  Biology isn't a factor.

Was I the only one that felt Boob's offer of a place to stay there was his not so subtle way of saying "let's move this thing along"?

Also I think he was thinking the free labor would be a bonus.  He doesn't want life companions for his daughters.  He wants more free labor.  Asshole!

Edited by Shugardrawers
  • Love 10

"I love mom because she gives us a present at Christmas and on our birthdays"

My jaw dropped when I heard one of the kids say that. If it gets to be MAY and the nicest thing you can say about your mother is that she gave you a present 5 months ago on a day when she was expected to... I can't. Michelle is an awful mom.

And bagged salad for 30+ people. That stuff is so expensive, how hard would it have been for one of the older girls (let's not pretend the boys or Michelle would do anything to help) to chop a couple heads of lettuce instead.

• Love 4

Also I think he was thinking the free labor would be a bonus.  He doesn't want life companions for his daughters.  He wants more free labor.  Asshole!

Word for word, YES.  He'll own that poor boy both on and off the clock for the next several years at minimum.  

• Love 3

I forgot to mention how sorry I felt for Jordyn that the only person who seems to care about her is a four year-old who lives fifteen hundred miles away. 

I'm also curious about the J'Slaves' Strawberry Shortcake. I saw five pounds of strawberries, but no angel food cake, biscuits or whipped cream. Does their version just consist of semi-thawed, mushy berries soaking in a bath of sugar water? Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if it did...

• Love 3

I have a feeling that all the Duggar men are a little jelly of Derek. Let's review the facts, shall we?

Derek has an actual, earned and self-realized career. It wasn't handed to him for his celebrity. Josh, Ben, and the rest? If it weren't for the show, they'd have very little income and slim prospects.

Derek walked the walk. He is a better Christian that any Duggar man because he didn't need to be isolated from the world to protect his innocence or virtue. He not only lived among the heathen, publicly educated masses: he went to a foreign country for two years and devoted himself to the service of others without a camera following him.

Derek doesn't need Jim Bob to give him a house. He has an income and I have no doubt he could've provided a home for Jill. Josh and Bin would be in trailers without the Duggar gravy train.

The cherry on top (in Duggar life)??? He knocked Jill up in less than a week!!! I like to think that even Jim Bob was impressed. :)

• Love 13

Never thought I'd say this....Poor Ben!  He looked like he was going to puke when JB offered him to a place to stay and come up permanantly.  He had no clue what to say.  I really think that he was looking to Dad to give him an out, and instead Dad said "lets doi it!"  Jessa looks like she has a secret joke the whole time she is on.

The 2 girls right over Josie looked so not thrilled when Derrick announced their engagement. They didn't clap, and looked down right sad.

Jill is definitely the favorite.  Love that JB had a kid hanging on him almost all the tiime.

Just finished watching.  Ben is so clueless and looks terrified and has no idea what he is doing.  I do see a connection between Jessa and Ben, but really can't see it being a happy one after they get over their bunny rabbit banging stage.

I noticed in Jessa's TH tonight how horrible her skin is.  She has dozens of zits all around her mouth (covered by makeup).  Why don't they pay for her to go to a dermatologist? 

It also looks like Jill has a cold sore on her lower lip.  If so, how did she contract the herpes simplex virus?

• Love 4

Ripley68, I found it very telling that you could practically hear the crickets in the background when Boob made the offer. Bin said nothing at first, then you could see him trying to work out a way to say no without looking like a dick, then he said he'd pray on it, next he looked to his father for back-up and then got royally screwed when Mr. Seewald told him it would be a great idea. Meanwhile Jessa is next to him smirking. I'm not a fan of Bin, but I do think it was pretty crappy for Boob to put him on the spot like that in front of the whole family.

• Love 6

Oooooooh! Josh and Anna was ready to burst about Jill and Derek getting that house. Roflmao! I was just waiting for Jim Bob to put a blanket on the floor and tell Josh to learn some self control. Barely contained jealously. :) it's delicious.

• Love 5

(1) Do Ben and Jessa want to get married? There are moments where I can see a connection in a -- self important, fame whoring, I have someone to take selfies with -- kind of way, like in the TH when they're talking about how the next step is a rock with a piece of metal. But when JB offers him a place to stay, Ben looks to have ZERO interest and says the usual fundie line to delay things -- "we should pray about it." Instead of his dad picking up that clue or even waiting to talk to Ben alone to see what he wants, he announces in front of everyone who it would be a great experience. And then in the TH the mom talks about how much the Duggars love Ben. Ben almost seems like he isn't ready to leave home because he even made a statement how it was his first time moving away.

(2) Given their enormous home, they couldn't offer the kid anything better than a "guest house" which is a room upstairs in a warehouse that has no external windows and isn't air conditioned -- in the Arkansas heat? Even if you hate the kid, he doesn't deserve that. Any chance JB is looking for a way to drive Ben off -- so it doesn't have to be "the Duggars broke the courtship," but rather than Ben backed out?? Though I guess it didn't work since they're engaged IRL.

(3) Still like Derrick and you can see how much pain he is in and how worried he is about his mom. You could see it just in his eyes when he had the mask on at the hospital. I agree that requiring a chaperone in the hospital was ridiculous -- he was there with his mom and stepdad, what do the Duggars think will happen -- sex on the hospital room floor?? Do they think Derrick's mom and step dad will "encourage" the couple to kiss? I mean I can see that kind of fooling around with certain kind of parents -- you know when they're NOT sick in the hospital in isolation.

(4) Why was it SO important that the Dillards and the Seewalds would be meeting for the first time at brunch? Who cares -- I can see why the first meeting of two families marrying each other matters, but the Dillards will be no relation to the Seewalds.

(5) Derrick's bro does not seem happy/thrilled about this whole thing. Now chances are he too is also really stressed about his mom, but I wonder if he's wondering why the hell his bro is jumping into the craziness when he can date and marry like a regular guy. I wonder what his girlfriend Chelsea's deal is -- I don't suppose she's fundie?

(6) Josh, Anna, Josiah, Jana, and Joy Anna seemed PISSED that Jill and Derrick are getting the mansion. Can't say I blame them -- they are the ones who are old enough to understand that housing is a big part of a budget and here Jill gets a HUGE house for free.

(7) Jana seems sad overall; it was nothing she said but just the affect.

• Love 3

Bin's guest room looks like a firetrap. Windows which open to the warehouse? Same for the door and staircase. Probably lots of flammable junk and chemicals stored there too. Plus the heat - I can only imagine what a second floor room in a tin-sided building feels like on a 90+ day.  

• Love 3

Bin's guest room looks like a firetrap. Windows which open to the warehouse? Same for the door and staircase. Probably lots of flammable junk and chemicals stored there too. Plus the heat - I can only imagine what a second floor room in a tin-sided building feels like on a 90+ day.  

I never thought about that angle, but damn, now that you mention it, it's pretty scary. I'm guessing metal warehouses with few exits aren't zoned for tenants. Considering how many Duggars served on the volunteer fire department, you'd think they know better. I also didn't see a bathroom in the warehouse. Does Bin have to schlep to the main house every time he has to go? That's not awkward at all...

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

I think that perhaps the Duggar's real "guest house" is like an apartment on the first floor of that damm warehouse and that is where the bathroom and running water is. I thought it was horrible that the Duggars seemed to say that Ben wasn't important enough to score a room there.

Jessa's going to be married in a few months & can't even bake rolls or make a salad from scratch?! No wonder they want all those gift cards from restaurants.

Notice the difference from how Derrick said "I love you, Mom" to how the Duggar girls said it? And the huge pause during Jana's TH? Telling.

• Love 1

Oh my word. I just saw the clip of them wishing mom a Happy Mother's Day! They all had dead eyes. Every single one of them including Jill. No feeling at all! Ben sounded very sincere. Wowzers. What is that Michelle doing to them? 

Edited by Iwadre
  • Love 1

Josh's look when Boob told him that Jill and Derick will be living in the big house was priceless.  I saw jealousy there.  I loved when Joy Anna said that they didn't have the "mansion" when Josh and Anna got married and that it's their fault that they didn't wait.

• Love 3

Wow, I really have to admit I am in shock I didn't think I could be anymore shocked by anything else but a young eighteen year old boy exchanging a job, family, home, college, friends and a life for a room with no windows, bathrooms and to be a virtual slave all in order to be with Jessa. Meanwhile, Jill gets a mansion. I mean until it "sells". 

• Love 4

I imagine JimBob knows that Derick would need an actual GOOD offer to get him to stick around under JimBob's rule.  Meanwhile Ben comes from famewhores and has no real resources; he'll agree to live in a box because it's the only option he has if he wants to bag his trophy wife.

• Love 4

(6) Josh, Anna, Josiah, Jana, and Joy Anna seemed PISSED that Jill and Derrick are getting the mansion. Can't say I blame them -- they are the ones who are old enough to understand that housing is a big part of a budget and here Jill gets a HUGE house for free.

Jessa also had some major bitchface as Jim Bob explained the kids would be cleaning the house to make it ready for Jill. I doubt a hoard of people will get her new accommodations ready when the time comes.

• Love 1

Oooooooh! Josh and Anna was ready to burst about Jill and Derek getting that house. Roflmao! I was just waiting for Jim Bob to put a blanket on the floor and tell Josh to learn some self control. Barely contained jealously. :) it's delicious.

Anna:  "Oooh, this house belongs in the D.C. area."

NOT! lol

• Love 2

Jessa also had some major bitchface as Jim Bob explained the kids would be cleaning the house to make it ready for Jill. I doubt a hoard of people will get her new accommodations ready when the time comes.

Agree - I must have missed Josh and Anna, I know they talked about it but they didn't seem that mad to me.  Jessa though, getting a lot of jealousy vibe from her.  I don't think she was even as excited for Jill's engagement as she pretended to be - when she's not guarded and watching herself she really seems to be thinking that everything happening to Jill, the wedding planning, the house from Jim Bob; should be for her and it should have been her first.

Maybe I'm more forgiving or just explain things away but I didn't think the hospital chaparone was for the hospital - I thought it was for the drive to the hospital and any other stops they might make because they would otherwise be alone for that part.  I figured when she went into the room with them that was either for the camera's to keep the group together or she was being nice to Dericks Mom (or both)....but not that she was watching over him and Jill.

Edited to Add:  That house was nice though - I don't know if JB did it himself or had some TLC help but from how it looked originally to what they showed in this episode it really did have some nice features and I love the wood trim in the downstairs room.  Let's see how long after the baby is born before it goes from "temporary until it's sold and you have to move" to either gift or JB sells it to Derick at a discount

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 1