Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

Jac

I have a couple:

I like the Diane years a lot but I find Diane herself to be insufferable and I prefer the ensemble dynamic that existed during the Rebecca years to the SL/TD as stars dynamic that existed during the Diane years.

I also really like Coach but I love Frasier and the show really came into its own for me when KG joined the cast full-time.

Frasier is a dick to Lilith, a lot, and while it is usually funny, sometimes, like when she was learning to sing for Frederick, it really bugs me. 

Lilith is probably my favorite character.

• Love 1

Did you find that to be the case from the very beginning?  I've just rewatched most of S1, and thought Diane tried to fit in (to some extent) in the early days.

I didn't mind her as much in season 1. My sister cannot stand her at all so that probably has some effect of my opinion of her. My sister recognises that her dislike for Diane, which can be visceral at times, stems from the fact that Diane is a fictional reflection of her less likeable qualities (while Liz Lemon from 30 Rock is a reflection of her better qualities) and I probably see a lot of my sister's less likeable qualities in her as well, which means Diane tends to really rub me up the wrong way.

I find Diane herself to be insufferable.

Does it help to recognize Diane often speaks from a sense of insecurity?  The need to reinforce her position by her "pseudointellectual" insights is simply the way she works out her fear of not being accepted by others.  That's VERY human and very understandable, almost endearing I would say.

Edited by CheersEnthusiast

My unpopular opinion: I know there are a lot of Shelley fans (if not here then elsewhere), and while she's good, I always thought Ted was either just as good, or better.

Is that unpopular?  Because I feel the same way about their acting.  Ted plays and excellent rake and his infuriation at Diane's character seems completely real.

Well I think that the later seasons of Cheers (or at least from S4 onwards) were better than the Diane years.  But I don't dislike the character as much as some of you.  I think she's fantastic and I love the performance from Long and her Chemisty with Danson.  Later the writers went in a different direction with Rebecca which is what they needed to do to keep things fresh.

UO:  Upon rewatching, I find Norm more insufferable than Cliff.  Always trashing Vera, plays mean pranks, fat & lazy with his jobs, never seems to leave the barstool.

Tho his friendship with Cliff is wonderful, an early b romance.

• Love 1