Type keyword(s) to search

Benedict Cumberbatch: Not Your Father's Sherlock

Well, he certainly wins my vote as "Most Ubiquitous Actor" (not that I'm complaining).  Martin Freeman is a close second.  I don't remember the last time I've seen two relatively unknown actors get skyrocketed into fame this quickly on just the basis of one (albeit very good) show.

• Love 1

From RadioTimes:

In 2003, Benedict played Edmund Bertram in a radio production of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. They are re-airing it on Radio 4 Extra (in the UK) beginning May 12. I wonder if we'll be able to listen to it online in the US... (There is a one-minutes clip at the RadioTimes link above and at the BBC website.

And more from the flower show, videos this time...

An interview with Benedict:

Video posted by Solei Holopainen

And a joint interview with Benedict and his mother, plus footage of the two of them strolling among and discussing the flowers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldWaHbTnv1c

Video posted by Tatjana R

And there's an article with another photo (and including both videos) on the BBC America website: WATCH: Benedict Cumberbatch and his Mum at the Chelsea Flower Show 

(edited)

Remember the card Benedict created for a charity (above, May 7)? Greeting card designed by Benedict Cumberbatch sells for £2,649. (Source: the Express) 

From the Park Theatre Gala (above, May 19), there is video:

Video by Red Carpet News TV

In which Benedict talks about the importance of live theater. (Source: Unreality TV)

From Variety: Benedict Cumberbatch Replaces Guy Pearce in Johnny Depp’s Whitey Bulger Movie.

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 2

Benedict appeared at all three days of the Hay Festival.

On the first day, he stepped in for Amanda Abbington (who had to cancel at the last minute) to read the bronze winning entry in the 500 Words contest for writers aged 9 and under. 

The second day, he read several Letters of Note:

Chris Barker to Bessie Moore (WWII sweethearts, Louise Brealey read opposite as Bessie)

Iggy Pop to a suicidal fan

Kurt Vonnegut to a high school board

He also read letters from Richard Avedon to his father and Ted Hughes to his son, but there are no videos of those yet. 

On the third day of the festival, Benedict performed scenes from Twelfth Night and Antony and Cleopatra with Dame Judi Dench at her Shakespeare masterclass. 

• Love 1
(edited)

On the third day of the festival, Benedict performed scenes from Twelfth Night and Antony and Cleopatra with Dame Judi Dench at her Shakespeare masterclass. 

And before that, there was an interview with Dame Judi Dench; when they opened it up to questions from the audience, Benedict waved his hand and asked:

"Would you like to be in Richard III with me?" he asked. "Yeah," Dame Judi replied after a theatrical pause, prompting cheers from the crowd.

(Source: the Telegraph, among others.)

ETA : The letter from Richard Avedon to his father is up now.

This is more a "might be" than anything else: Benedict Cumberbatch And Tom Hiddleston To Star In First World War Movie?. The producer has confirmed that the actors are being considered, but have not yet been approached, so take that as you will!

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 1

Ooh, Allen Leetch is in that movie, too! Another good reason to see it :D

I listened to some of the recordings of BC reading the D-Day dispatches. He also read some of the BBC news reports from D-Day, along with Patrick Stewart and Toby Jones.

• Love 2

More speculation: according to Deadline, Benedict is supposedly on Marvel Studios' wishlist to be their latest comic book hero Doctor Strange. IndieWire warns not to get our hopes up though, because both Tom Hardy and Benedict are on Hollywood Studios' wishlists for just about every part, so they think it's just mere speculation. 

• Love 1

*cashes in retirement account to pay for plane ticket to London*

I have no inside information but I would be shocked if Hamlet didn't wind up being one of the plays that are live cast around the world in movie theatres.   NT Live is releasing Frankenstein again this fall for the 3rd or 4th time so they know the interest is there.  Heh, even without that, they know the popularity of Mr. Cumberbatch (who was quite the hit at Comic Con yesterday).

• Love 1
(edited)

According to Broadway.com, the reason Benedict won't be playing Dr. Strange is because filming conflicts with him playing Hamlet onstage

And about Hamlet, Playbill.com announced that there will 100 £10 seats made available for every performance. (That's awesome indeed!)

And here's a video from Anglophenia, wherein they report on their viewers' reasons for finding Benedict attractive:

Edited by photo fox
fixed tags :)