Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The SHU

• Start Topic

You're not alone in your obsession Toaster! I lurked the forums for this show over on TWoP but I never really felt up to diving into the conversations for whatever reason...that's gonna change as soon as OITNB comes back though! Hope to see you around :)

Do people have plans on how they plan to consume the new season when it comes out? I probably will do 2 episodes a week. I know some folks will be marathoning it, of course, but I hope a few folks will be slow like me, so I have someone to squeeeeeee with about episodes on a slower basis.

Ugh, I'm so glad you asked, because I feel personally inconvenienced by the fact that they've moved the release up to June.  Heh.  My wife and I do long distance and I'm going to see her next in July, so had they kept the July release date that would have been perfect for us.  Something we could watch together.  As it is, with the release coming June 6th, it's right before I'm heading to Europe a few days later.  So I have to decide if I'm going to binge watch it to get it done before I leave, which is not my natural inclination [i'd rather savor it more] OR wait and just not get to participate in any conversation about the show for a few weeks.  At which point I'll feel like I've missed the zeitgeist and I might as well wait and watch it with the Mrs., but then it'll be way after the conversation on the show.

I'm probably going to watch the whole series between the 6th and when I leave [likely between the 11th and 13], but I'm just annoyed that I can't spread it out more over a couple of weeks.  If they'd just waited until July I could have watched it with my wife and the rest of the world when it dropped.  

Jesus, do I sound like Piper or what?  Anyhow, this is the first world problem I'm having with the release date.

• Love 1

You've probably already been told this, but that one does get progressively better as the jokes finally pay off at the end.  But I agree it took an almost unprecedented amount of patience to get their as a viewer.  That's a season that put a lot of faith in the power of binge watching, for better or worse.  Jenji has said that binge watching changed a bit of how they wrote season 2 of Orange as opposed to season 1, but I suspect nothing that chancy. 

• Love 1

Looking forward to the new season of this show, and hanging out in this forum. I only lurked on the TWoP forums, but mostly because I got into this show a little late, and so much had been discussed already! I suppose that's a problem with shows that get "dropped" all at once--the discussion cools much faster. \

Hey Toaster--I remember you from the Ye Olde L Word forum!

Oh I remember The L Word forum too. I got the boot so many times, I can't remember the last name I used while still posting on that thread.

As for Orange, I will probably watch 6 on June 6 and the last 7 on June 7. Keep it in line with the dates. Glad this forum has come into existence, as a place to offer up delicious snark and wank. TWOP was the only place decent discussion took place because it did not tolerate abusive fans that seems to monopolize the other public boards that have threads about this show.

Can't wait until June 6th.

I've changed the name of this forum so it is in alignment with the "Small Talk" threads on other boards.  Read the boilerplate below and act accordingly, please.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Ahhhhh, so this is where TLW followers meet up-- besides JB's Twitter account* !! ( Seriously, is any one else  interested in an L Word Forum here?  I see that there's one for "I Love Lucy" and "Lawrence Welk"; why not "TLW" ?)

As for how we'll watch S2, my Wife ( we live in Delaware, so that's NOT wishful thinking!) and I are going to try to exercise some restraint. We binge-watched the first season in one glorious weekend of indulgence (showers? meals? hell, the dogs had to let themselves out!), and then, tho' sated, fell into  severe Orange withdrawal. So our goal is to limit ourselves to maybe two episodes at a time. (that was the plan for "House of Cards" too, but......)

So glad to have this Forum, and this new community!

(* In case you don't follow Jennifer Beals on Twitter, on April Fool's Day, she posted that Ilene was interested in staging an L Word musical!!   Hell, I'm still waiting for the movie!)

Seriously, is any one else  interested in an L Word Forum here? I see that there's one for "I Love Lucy" and "Lawrence Welk"; why not "TLW" ?

The only reason why not is that nobody has asked for one yet – go ahead and ask in New Show Forum Requests! (But make sure to read the instructions in the thread at the top first.)

Do people have plans on how they plan to consume the new season when it comes out? I probably will do 2 episodes a week. I know some folks will be marathoning it, of course, but I hope a few folks will be slow like me, so I have someone to squeeeeeee with about episodes on a slower basis.

Good question! I watched the entire first season a couple months after it came out, pretty much all within a week or two. Major binge watch. In fact, I finally caved in and joined Netflix again only to watch this show. I'll probably tuck right in and start binge watching this season as well.

(edited)

Lol, if complaining about a 70 second intro to a tv show you're binge watching isn't the epitome of a first world problem, I don't know what is. :)

ETA: yeah, I know SystemRemote.  But the epitome.

Edited by bravelittletoaster

My "How I met your OITNB" story:

I didn't watch the show in the first season, but when my May issue of "Entertainment Weekly" had a cover story on season 2, It got my attention.  Mostly because of the  photo with Kate Mulgrew ("Is that Capt. Janeway with the Magenta Brush-cut? ").  

So I tucked away the issue so I could read the article AFTER trying out the show.  I joined Netflix (First month free!), and proceeded to watch all 26 episodes over the course of 2 weeks.  Totally and absolutely hooked.   And the EW article was great.  

(I have since been sucked into "House of Cards" on Netflix, though with a bit less fervor. )

Dunno if I'm the exception viewer, but I started watching Season 2 the day after it dropped.  

Speaking of Red's hair - it cracked me up when Suzanne it to Heat Miser! I was thinking the same thing, and even joined in when she was quoting the song. Even as an adult, I a. So tickled watching that Christmas special, just for Heat Miser part!

The Crazy Pyes food truck is heading to Los Angeles!  Free pie and chocolate & vanilla swirl swirl ice cream.

6/20, Friday, 4 to 8 p.m.: Hollywood and Highland
    6/21, Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m.: Corner of Culver Blvd & W. Washington Blvd. Next to The Culver Hotel
    6/22, Sunday, 2 to 6 p.m.: The Brig on Abbot Kinney in Venice

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/netflix-orange-is-the-new-black-fruit-pie-and-ice-cream-truck-to-troll-nyc-1201215181/

Hi all! Another TWoP transplant..though I think I was RockingMyRedSox over there :) Took me awhile to take the plunge but I CANNOT resist not talking about the shows I enjoy. I've spent a few weeks going through this forum & you all seem intelligent, funny, and hopefully I'll fit in :)

I've just finished binging the entire 2nd season of OiTNB...and am downloading into my brain so I can join in on the comments!! I'm happy to be here!

• Love 2
(edited)

Dropping this in small talk in case I'm wrong/misinformed/under-informed. Just heard anecdotally the new season is up now on Netflix. I wouldn't have expected it till midnight, if not midnight PST.

Edited by kieyra

So I heard Natasha Lyonne interviewed on RuPaul's podcast, and she just fucking killed me with how sharp and funny she is, and her sense of humor about her fucked-up childhood entirely matches my own. So I dug up her older interview with Marc Maron, and now I'm semi obsessed with her. I knew nothing about the actress before OITNB. She's so good as Nicky I assumed she was gay herself (seemingly not), and I didn't realize most of her junkie storyline is lifted from her own life, including the scar being real. I assume this stuff is all old news to most OITNB fans, it had just escaped me. Love her. 

• Love 2

I had never heard of Takis until I saw this season of OITNB. Then, today, I saw a display of them at Lawton's (Cdn drugstore chain) with a big "New" sign! I bet that's not a coincidence. 

On 3/28/2014 at 6:44 PM, mad_typist said:

I usually try and limit myself but end up binge watching the whole season. Then later i regret it and re-watch it every month to ease the pain of having to wait a year lmao.

Lea Delaria (Big Boo) was on Conan tonight. She came out wearing a silver dress and turban and sandals. She had full make up on her face and sat with her legs crossed femme-style, and if Conan hadn't said her name it would have taken me a while to realize it was her. He asked her about it, because she basically dresses like Big Boo even when not in character for the show, though with more money and access to quality suits, and this outfit was quite a departure.

She claimed to have taken ayhuasca and that it had totally changed her and brought out her inner drag queen. I have no idea what percentage of this was purely a bit. They then went on to discuss a variety of topics, including dolphin shaped dildoes.

• Love 1