Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Following online updates and apparently the HFPA really really liked West Side Story.

Jane Campion just snagged Best Director (Yay!) and Kodi Smit McPhee best Supporting Actor for Power of the Dog (it's a very good film).

TV awards not too surprising: Hacks, Jason Sudeikis and Succession are cleaning up.  O-Yeoung Su won #001!!!

Nicole Kidman was amazing in The Ricardos so I am pleased with her win.  I have less than zero desire to see Kristen Stewart in Spencer so can’t comment on whether it was an upset win.

Also glad for Succession, Jeremy Strong and Sarah Snook — that series is just incredible. 

Edited by MerBearHou

A big UGH for Power of the Dog winning.  Strong performances and great cinematography doesn't make up for a complete lack of a story.  You wait two hours for something to happen and pretty much nothing does.  I regretted the time I wasted watching it.  It was better than Nomadland but all Dog had to do was film something to be better than that movie.  Parasite was better than both of them but was an overrated film that never should of won (I saw four movies better than Parasite that year).  I'm tired of these acting showcases that have no substance to them.

Being the Ricardos was far from perfect but was still much better than Dog.  Nicole Kidman gave a fine performance though she was completely miscast as Lucy but the critics needed to lavish her with praise she didn't really deserve 

• Applause 1
9 hours ago, benteen said:

A big UGH for Power of the Dog winning.  Strong performances and great cinematography doesn't make up for a complete lack of a story.  You wait two hours for something to happen and pretty much nothing does.  I regretted the time I wasted watching it.  It was better than Nomadland but all Dog had to do was film something to be better than that movie.  Parasite was better than both of them but was an overrated film that never should of won (I saw four movies better than Parasite that year).  I'm tired of these acting showcases that have no substance to them.

Fully agree... I hated Power of the Dog.  Frankly it was just boring and a waste of time.

I know people (and particularly those in the industry who mostly didn't even seem to acknowledge their nominations) aren't supposed to care about the Globes this year, but an award is an award.  I was really hoping for a Belfast win and wins for Kenneth Branagh, Jamie Dornan and Caitriona Balfe.

• Love 1

It's quite the paradox that the golden globes got shit for it's lack of a diverse voting board but the acting wins were more diverse than the Emmys.  Three out of six winners in the film categories were POC, the first trans woman and Korean man won in their categories and Jane Campion becomes the third woman to win Best Director; I'm apparently in the minority of liking PotD but I like a good slow burn and Benedict and Kodi were excellent.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 1

When I first watched POWER OF THE DOG I didn't think much of it and the performances, but then I watched Cumberbatch in THE ELECTRICAL LIFE OF LOUIS WAIN and realized how much of a performance he was actually giving in PofD. Also, the film really stayed with me . I am bewildered by all of the wins Kodi Smit-McPhee has pulled in, but I like him (he is practically the lone star of a film called ALPHA and he's compelling to watch). 

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Love 1

Publicists are 'eating their own' in fight over Golden Globes.  Ir's a long read and difficult to summarize with quotes but a few key notes:

But the publicists have splintered into two factions, those that want to bring the Globes back and those completely indifferent to its survival. As talks have stalled, Variety has learned that Slate PR co-founder Simon Halls is among those offering to be a liaison between the reps, talent community and the HFPA in hopes of smoothing things over and helping the show return. He is among a large group of Hollywood insiders that sees the awards show as added value in marketing non-superhero movies and helping new talent gain momentum. Halls represents Ryan Murphy, Greg Berlanti, Ang Lee, Amy Pascal and the Duffer Brothers. He declined to offer comment for this story.

Nevertheless, the process has gotten heated, to say the least. The question of whether or not the Globes should come back has caused in-fighting and bickering among the publicists, a group known for expert spin and taking catty swings against their opponents. Those who are siding with the Globes are being called sell-outs, while those who are trying to block the show are being labeled as petty and power hungry....

There seems to be a Catch-22 as the talks drag out. HFPA leaders are pushing NBC to announce that the telecast is back on as a means of ensuring that top stars will attend the event — knowing they will turn up to the Globes if they get to campaign for an Oscar in front of a live TV audience. NBC is countering by telling HFPA leaders they need to deliver public demonstrations of industry support before the network goes out on a limb with an endorsement. Sources close to the situation also say there has been no discussion of carrying the Globes on a different NBCUniversal platform such as Peacock. It’s NBC or bust....

In conversations with a dozen people intimately familiar with the alliance of publicists demanding change from the HFPA, the consistent sentiment is that the group has not yet demonstrated meaningful progress – and that its membership remains stacked with people from the previous regime. Other publicists think steps have been taken. That’s a view shared by the HFPA itself, which provided Variety with a six-page document listing new practices and policies that have been implemented since the fallout....

Meanwhile, industry sources with knowledge of the situation say NBCUniversal may use this moment of major transition for the HFPA to attempt to renegotiate the terms of the eight-year contract that NBCUniversal struck in 2018 with the HFPA and Dick Clark Productions (now known as MRC Live and Alternative) for rights to the awards show. That deal came with a huge step-up for NBC in the annual license fee that is now estimated to be about $60 million. Even before the HFPA’s travails, NBCUniversal was known to be unhappy with that deal given the sharp decline in ratings for the Globes and many other live events.

• Useful 1

Now a for-profit company.

The members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, mired in controversy for the past year and a half over diversity and ethics concerns, have agreed to a new venture with Todd Boehly’s Eldridge Industries LLC to establish the HFPA as a for-profit organization that would run the Golden Globes and spin off its charitable efforts into a non-profit group

The deal will result in the development of staff and an executive team, according to a statement issued by the HFPA on Thursday. Additional Golden Globes voters will also be added to increase the size and diversity of the available voters for the annual awards. (The statement does not indicate whether the new voters will receive full membership status and privileges.)....

The plan involves the creation of a new private company, which would acquire all rights for the Golden Globes intellectual property and be empowered to oversee the professionalization and modernization of the Golden Globe Awards.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:01 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Kind of strange.  I'm pretty sure the Academy is non-profit.  If the Globes are going to be a for-profit company... where is the revenue?  TV rights?  That'd be pretty much it right?  Unless they are going to start charging actors and Hollywood people a membership fee to be part of it.  Or are they going to start selling merchandise?

They say they need to be for-profit so they can hire staff?  Other similar companies seem to have staff and aren't for-profit.

One possible reason for going to "for-profit" is if it was widely perceived that in its previous existence the HFPA was woefully non-professionalized in its operations. Yes, many non-profits are run with professionalism. But the HFPA was apparently not one of them! From the NBC announcement, the revamp seems to have worked. 

1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

One possible reason for going to "for-profit" is if it was widely perceived that in its previous existence the HFPA was woefully non-professionalized in its operations. Yes, many non-profits are run with professionalism. But the HFPA was apparently not one of them! From the NBC announcement, the revamp seems to have worked. 

Eh, I don't know about that. It stills reads as shady AF to me. 

The Globes were always my favorite award show because of the drunkenness and hosts. But if any of the actors I really like and admire show up for this, I'm going to be severely disappointed. 

On 1/10/2022 at 5:15 PM, AngieBee1 said:

When I first watched POWER OF THE DOG I didn't think much of it and the performances, but then I watched Cumberbatch in THE ELECTRICAL LIFE OF LOUIS WAIN and realized how much of a performance he was actually giving in PofD. Also, the film really stayed with me . I am bewildered by all of the wins Kodi Smit-McPhee has pulled in, but I like him (he is practically the lone star of a film called ALPHA and he's compelling to watch). 

If you don't already know: Kodi is in "Elvis," playing Jimmie Rodgers Snow, Hank's son and an early fan of Elvis. 

~~~~~~~

All hedge funds want is profit---awards organizations, nursing homes, hospitals; doesn't matter. 

~~~~~~~

2023 GG NOMINEES WILL BE ANNOUNCED EARLY MONDAY, DECEMBER 12:

https://www.etonline.com/2023-golden-globe-nominees-to-be-announced-live-by-george-and-mayan-lopez-195531

Edited by LennieBriscoe
9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Good stuff, but they really nominated Jamie Lee Curtis over Stephanie Hsu for Best Supporting Actress in EEAO?! 

Despite whatever changes the HFPA purports to make, they have been and always will be star-fuckers. 

I'm curious to see how many of these stars actually show up. I'm hoping for a near universal boycott. 

Despite whatever changes the HFPA purports to make, they have been and always will be star-fuckers. I'm curious to see how many of these stars actually show up. I'm hoping for a near universal boycott. 

I'm expecting a boycott, too. Even the "thank yous" have been muted. Before celebrities would be more effusive with their thanks to the HFPA.

I will say, with the exception of lack of nomination for TILL, Danielle Deadwyler, WOMEN TALKING and anyone from that cast (my favorites are Jessie Buckley with Claire Foy close behind and easily deserved the slot more than Carey Mulligan who was staid in the equally staid SHE SAID) I think the nominations are wonderful.

I've seen quite a bit of the films nominated and am very happy for the BABYLON love (Diego Calva, Margot Robbie and Brad Pitt are sensational in it) and Adam Driver's nomination for WHITE NOISE which is well-deserved.

On the TV side I am dismayed that Brian Tyree Henry was not nominated for ATLANTA where he has given 1000% each season; and the continued absence of RESERVATION DOGS is a travesty.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Good stuff, but they really nominated Jamie Lee Curtis over Stephanie Hsu for Best Supporting Actress in EEAO?! 

Exactly! Stephanie’s character brought the humor and the heart to the movie. She should be nominated. Stephanie is also great in Mrs Maisel btw. 

• Love 1

Globes are always interesting because too often the two big heavyweight frontrunners seem to be in opposite drama/comedy categories.  This year we have Brendan Fraser (The Whale) and Colin Farrell (The Banshees of Inisherrin) in separate categories, as well as Cate Blanchett (Tar) and Michelle Yeoh (EEAAO) in separate categories.  So we don't get any help trying if trying to use these awards as Oscar harbingers.  I'd be curious to see how many times the GG Drama acting winner and the GG Comedy acting winner were both nominated for Oscar, and which category prevailed.

I'm seeing more and more negative reviews for "The Whale".  So even though Brendan Fraser seems beloved, and probably assured the Globe since the Globes love a feel good story, wondering what his chances at Oscar are.  It doesn't seem to bode well when an actor's nomination is the only major thing the movie gets nominated for.  It seems like Brendan Fraser and Viola Davis could fall into that distinction this year.  I think the same thing happened with Glenn Close in "The Wife".

I am thrilled for EEAAO, Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Jamie Lee Curtis (I wish Stephanie Hsu could have been recognised as well), Angela Bassett.

On the TV side, this season of "The Crown" hasn't been the greatest.  How is it that Imelda Staunton gets nominated for Lead Actress?  She's been the worst iteration of the Queen so far, and it seems she gets a nomination just because the actress playing the Queen always gets nominated.  I thought her performance was pedestrian, and moreover, this is the first season where I felt like the show barely focused on the Queen.  It was really the Charles and Diana show.  Elizabeth Debicki should be up for Lead instead of Supporting, and Imelda Staunton should be up for Supporting.  Don't really agree with Jonathan Pryce's nomination (clearly a nomination for the name and not the performance), I would have thought Dominic West took a much more challenging role as Prince Charles and did a pretty good job.

I'm glad Kevin Costner got a nomination, but the show should have been nominated as well.  And Kelly Reilly should have gotten a Lead Actress nomination.

How is "The White Lotus" nominated for Best TV Movie or Limited Series when there is a Season 2?

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, blackwing said:

I'm seeing more and more negative reviews for "The Whale".  So even though Brendan Fraser seems beloved, and probably assured the Globe since the Globes love a feel good story, wondering what his chances at Oscar are.  It doesn't seem to bode well when an actor's nomination is the only major thing the movie gets nominated for. 

I think he is a lock for an Oscar nomination but I don't know how confident I feel that HFPA will give him the award. He has already stated publicly that he will not attend because he was previously sexually assaulted by a member (the head?) of the HFPA and never received an apology. 

3 hours ago, kittykat said:

Looks like the TV supporting acting categories finally split.  Now there's two: one for comedy/drama and one for limited/TV movie.

I'm just realizing how few of these films I've seen.

I haven't seen many of the movies either. TV wise I saw most of what was nominated especially in the limited series category but with the movies I need to see them.

8 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I think he is a lock for an Oscar nomination but I don't know how confident I feel that HFPA will give him the award. He has already stated publicly that he will not attend because he was previously sexually assaulted by a member (the head?) of the HFPA and never received an apology. 

Yeah I don't see Fraser winning.  Butler likely has that one locked since the GGs favor musical biopics.

And I agree that White Lotus should have been moved to drama.  Not sure what the criteria is for categorization.

Agreed I don’t think Laverne is that natural A host. I find her very stressful. 

My signal is all over the shop so I’m watching the live Variety coverage on YouTube. Mark Malkin ans the girl he’s presenting with are making me want to gauge my eyes out. They’re so painful. 

Edited by Avabelle

Glad to have the show back as well. I've always enjoyed the Globes because of the mix of movies and television. And the drinking during the telecast always made for hilarity as the night wore on. While I don't deny the HFPA had a lot issues, I thought the reaction from some in Hollywood was a bit hypocritical.

Particularly when it came to the accusations of wining and dining HFPA for wins, because like spare me that most of the industry wasn't well aware of that. Since the studios and agents of said celebrities were the ones DOING the whining and dining. 

I'm also pleasantly surprised to see so many of the nominees showed up as that was a question mark many had - whether or not some of the celebrities would feel it still wasn't a good look for them to attend. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Surprised Jenna Ortega didn't wear black, since she's really been living the whole "Wednesday" character for most of her recent press/media. Then again, I guess that may be why she's sick of it. The dress is okay but with such a pale dress, her makeup should been bolder. The nude lip is sort of washing her out a bit.