Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I used to really, really enjoy Tina and Amy together, but now their vibe has grown tired to me.  

I found myself enjoying the show because no one “ran the table” and the winners were often unexpected.  I actually enjoyed the Zoom with family members there (or popping in for a hug), pets, hearing after-the-winner chitchat between the nominees, glitches, a random dinosaur, Jason in his hoodie — it was an awards show unlike any others and to me, made it more fun.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

The front line works love them some Elliot Stabler and I don’t blame them.

Annie Murphy got hosed in being in a category like this. 

Agreed.  

13 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I really really wanted Maria to win that.

Having said that Rosamund Pike is brilliant in I care a lot.

Yes.  I sure liked the ending!!

13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Another victory for The Crown!

You'll get a trophy one day, Bob Odenkirk.  Hopefully...

He is so deserving, I feel so bad for him each time.  The last season of BCS is scheduled for 2022 (!!), maybe he'll get one for that.  Thing is, so much time goes by between seasons, people lose interest or forget.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have a lot of skepticism about awards like this. Oscars are very political and to me hold no real reflection on who’s best, however, I suppose they serve some purpose.  I completely understand artists who have no interest in it.  For me it’s not who or what is best.  I just like to see outstanding projects and performances recognized.  

Your skepticism is not unwarranted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/movies/the-golden-globes-lawsuit-hollywood-foreign-press.html

The Golden Globes’ Biggest Winner May Be the Group That Hands Them Out

Members of the tax-exempt Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which puts on the ceremony, are courted by stars and studios, and sometimes paid.

I think I really only paid attention to this cycle because of the love I have for the Queen's Gambit and Normal People, and their respective casts. 

Overall I thought the entire production was a hot mess. I've had work Zooms that flowed more seamlessly than this.

Having said that, I do think there were several moments that I found genuinely touching - Chadwick Boseman's wife, Emma Corrin's tribute to Diana, Jane Fonda's speech, etc.

But there was just so much awkwardness that was hard to overlook.

Highlights of the night were a random dinosaur behind Sandra Oh and Elliott Stabler receiving a Beatles-like reception from the frontline heroes. 

• Love 3

Awards season in times of Corona has been very quiet and without much impact IMO. Red carpets and campaigning have their own drawbacks and often put attention on the wrong things. But this sort of muted underwater feel is really weird as well. As if it wasn't really happening.

McDormand might have trouble walking through due to this already being her third big award in her career. DDL pulled it off, but he also delivered one of the best awards campaigns ever LOL. Mulligan and Pike seem like classic they're due candidates. But they might go by performance alone and Day certainly has the biography angle working for her. Boseman might be a lock in the male category.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Highlights of the night were a random dinosaur behind Sandra Oh and Elliott Stabler receiving a Beatles-like reception from the frontline heroes. 

The dinosaur wasn't random! It was a reference to Palm Springs, which she was introducing. (insert the "I understood that reference" meme here, hee!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, shantown said:

The dinosaur wasn't random! It was a reference to Palm Springs, which she was introducing. (insert the "I understood that reference" meme here, hee!)

AAAHHHH. Thanks so much for clarifying! I haven't yet watched that and just thought it was the delightful Sandra Oh being delightful. 🙂

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Overall I thought the entire production was a hot mess. I've had work Zooms that flowed more seamlessly than this.

Having said that, I do think there were several moments that I found genuinely touching - Chadwick Boseman's wife, Emma Corrin's tribute to Diana, Jane Fonda's speech, etc.

But there was just so much awkwardness that was hard to overlook.

It warms my heart that there are others like me who are super excited about him returning to TV.

Was that a Bernie Sanders cut-out behind Cynthia Nixon?

Edited by MaggieG
2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I enjoyed Don Cheadle jokingly giving Jason Sudeikis the wrap-it-up signal and Ramy Youssef cracking up at how unprepared and out of it Sudeikis seemed (not too surprising considering it was the middle of the night in England where he's working on Ted Lasso season 2).

(edited)
18 hours ago, Slade347 said:

Between Baron Cohen, Pike, Boyega, Kaluuya, The Crown, etc, the Globes really went hard core British tonight.

They really did, which is why I found the Andra Day win all the more shocking. While most were expecting an easy win for Frances McDormand, I had a strong feeling that the HFPA would give the award to Brit, Carey Mulligan. Andra Day really came out of left field! I had previously made note of the fact that The United States vs. Billie Holiday was dropping on Hulu this past Friday, February 26th. And then I promptly forgot about it. 😒 I'm definitely going to watch the movie this week. Perhaps overall, the GGs won't make that much of a difference, but as of right now. it would seem that the Best Actress category is not the slam-dunk that many believed.

17 hours ago, mojoween said:

To paraphrase Amy, I can sit for five hours of the same thing ten times, but I don’t have time to sit down and watch a two hour movie (or binge a new show).  During quarantine I basically watched old baseball games or “Friends” and “The Big Bang Theory” reruns while I read, or cleaned, or cooked.  

That had me laughing out loud because it's so true. 

14 hours ago, kieyra said:

I knew Queen's Gambit was going to smash that category, but I do feel bad for Daisy Edgar-Jones. Highly recommend Normal People (Hulu), an also-ran. 

Normal People was excellent, especially the two lead actors. While I might have given the Limited Series award to The Queen's Gambit, which I also loved, IMO Daisy Edgar-Jones gave an even better overall performance than Anya Taylor-Joy. I was rooting for DE-J to win. Also, it's kind of odd that Paul Mescal received an Emmy nomination with none for Daisy, yet she got the GG nod, with Mescal being shut out. Go figure. I honestly don't understand how anyone could nominate one but not the other. They were both incredibly good.

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was going to watch Promising Young Woman, but it’s not free on Amazon or Hulu for free.  I can purchase it for almost $20.   Lol  Too funny.

I feel the same way. I want to see Promising Young Woman too, but I lay out enough $$$ for streaming services (I have access to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and Peacock.) I'm certainly not paying even more on top of that to see any movie. For example, I would really like to see Minari and First Cow but A24 doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get their films on streaming outlets.
Although, I have to admit, If Disney+ added Black Widow to its Marvel playlist, I'd probably pay $50 to see it at this point. 😅

10 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Yes. The Emmys did a much better overall job with their virtual awards show. There were a few bad moments, but they handled it surprisingly well.  Last night's Golden Globes were...not good.

7 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Was that a Bernie Sanders cut-out behind Cynthia Nixon?

Yes it was! I laughed out loud at that. 😄

Edited by ProudMary
Typo
  • Love 2
On 3/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, MerBearHou said:

I used to really, really enjoy Tina and Amy together, but now their vibe has grown tired to me.  

Agree. I watched it the next day on YouTube because it was the only part of the whole show I was interested in seeing. But it was like they watched all their other co-hosting gigs to figure out what "worked." That never works.

• Love 3

My favourite host is always Ricky Gervais because he doesn’t actually give a shit and I love that about him. For as much credit as Tina and Amy get, I don’t think they’re as good or call Hollywood out as much as some people praise them for doing.

• Love 7
On 3/7/2021 at 10:28 AM, Avabelle said:

My favourite host is always Ricky Gervais because he doesn’t actually give a shit and I love that about him. For as much credit as Tina and Amy get, I don’t think they’re as good or call Hollywood out as much as some people praise them for doing.

I agree, producers seem to think they are the best hosts ever, painted as "two women who are best friends and unafraid to call others out".  But they're not nearly as funny or witty as they think.

My favourite host ever is Whoopi Goldberg.  I love that she called herself an "equal opportunity offender".  And I would love to see Tiffany Haddish host one of these major award shows one day.  She is delightful.

• Love 3

This, from the majority of Hollywood publicists, definitely has some teeth to it. Your move, HFPA.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-03-15/hollywood-publicists-warn-golden-globes-group-to-change-or-lose-access-to-star-clients?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

More than 100 of the most powerful publicists representing the majority of entertainment talent and artists warned the association they would cut them off if the embattled organization did not take significant steps toward reform and transparency.

“We call on the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. to swiftly manifest profound and lasting change to eradicate the longstanding exclusionary ethos and pervasive practice of discriminatory behavior, unprofessionalism, ethical impropriety and alleged financial corruption endemic to the HFPA, funded by Dick Clark Productions, MRC, NBCUniversal and Comcast,” the publicists wrote in a letter sent to the group Monday afternoon.

The letter is the most strident public response among industry insiders to the organization since The Times investigation last month that raised a slew of questions about the HFPA’s membership and conduct and highlighted the lack of Black members in the group.

• Useful 2

The Golden Globes Are Falling Apart in Real Time

The latest developments from the last few days:

April 18 — HFPA Member Declares Black Lives Matter “Racist Hate Movement”

Deadline reports that HFPA member and former eight-term president Philip Berk “sent an email that declared Black Lives Matter is a ‘racist hate movement’ and criticized co-founder Patrisse Cullors for recent real estate purchases, calling her a ‘trained Marxist.'”

April 20 — NBC Condemns Philip Berk

NBC, broadcast home of the Golden Globes, issues a statement Tuesday morning “strongly condemning” Berk’s email and calling for his immediate expulsion: “While we continue to await the details of HFPA’s upcoming plan for reform, swift action on this front is an essential element for NBC to move forward with the HFPA and the Golden Globes.”

MRC, owner of Golden Globes producer Dick Clark Prods., added: “While we remain hopeful that progress is being made and a clear, actionable roadmap is unveiled, we are deeply disappointed by this latest development. We want to reiterate publicly that there must be meaningful change defined in the May 6th plan.”

April 20 — HFPA Expels Berk

The organization announces Berk’s expulsion Tuesday afternoon: “Effective immediately, Phil Berk is no longer a member of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.”

April 20 — HFPA’s Crisis Communications Firm Quits

On Tuesday evening, The Hollywood Reporter reports the resignation of crisis communications firm Smith & Company, which HFPA hired in March. The Berk situation reportedly was “the last straw.” The company’s founder and CEO is Judy Smith, who is the inspiration for “Scandal” and its lead character, Olivia Pope. Smith spent five seasons as that show’s co-executive producer.

THR reports that Smith “grew increasingly frustrated by the organization’s refusal to listen to other advice and commit to concrete actions, ultimately concluding that its problems are so deep-rooted that it is a lost cause, which led her to quit Tuesday.”

April 20 — HFPA’s Diversity Consultant Quits

On the same day as Berk’s expulsion and Smith’s resignation, diversity consultant Harper also resigned after meeting with representatives of Time’s Up as well as members of PR firms who signed the open letter. THR wrote that the meeting “did not go well, with Harper being slammed for the proposal regarding 13 new Black members, and concluding that the scope of the problem is beyond what he originally understood it to be, which ultimately led to him resigning his post.”

April 20 — PR Firm Sunshine Sachs Hints at Departure

Deadline reports that the organization’s “longtime PR firm Sunshine Sachs is putting together an exit strategy of its own.” A source told Deadline, “Working with them is really starting to hurt our larger business profile and we can’t have that from any one client. … We can’t work like that.”

On Wednesday, a Sunshine Sachs insider told IndieWire, “We’re giving advocacy and civil rights organizations the chance to work with the HFPA and create foundational, much needed change, and are helping facilitate those conversations.”

• Love 1

Just end the damn Globes. It's always been redundant, and now it's inherently scandalous too. The HFPA operates like FIFA, but with far less compelling reasons for anyone to care they exist. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

Just end the damn Globes. It's always been redundant, and now it's inherently scandalous too. The HFPA operates like FIFA, but with far less compelling reasons for anyone to care they exist. 

I've always enjoyed the drunken spectacle of the Globes but the idea that this small handful of people sets the tone for the awards season has always baffled me. 

And yes, I recognize that it is all a highly frivolous enterprise but it has always been entertaining to me. 

But for all of the poo-pooing that the Hollywood glitterati have been doing for months now, they could have taken a stance this year by simply refusing to participate. (It was an awful "ceremony" anyway.) But they all "showed up" after posting about how outraged they were by the HFPA's practices. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Netflix’s Ted Sarandos To HFPA: “We’re Stopping Any Activities With Your Organization Until More Meaningful Changes Are Made”

• Love 2

While I will miss the drunk stars and the TV people being stuck in the back and taking days to reach the front of the stage (assuming they don't do the ceremony at all next year) I think we all know that there were a lot of questionable things the HFPA has done long before the issues they had this year but we never hit that breaking point until now. 

When Tina Fey said "if we play our cards right, this will be the last awards show ever" in the promos for this, it turns out she wasn't that far off. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

https://ew.com/awards/golden-globes/tom-cruise-gives-back-golden-globe-awards-hfpa-protest/

For some reason, I find this very funny.  There were no black members when he won the awards, there are still no black members.  A small number (80 or so) of white people voted him to receive the award back in the 90s.  There is still a small number of white people voting today.

Nothing has changed at all in the way the organisation is run or the way they administer the awards.  The only thing that has changed is that it has taken him 20 to 30 years to finally be "offended" about it.

I have never understood how this small group of people have always had so much influence on the Oscar race to begin with.  I think the Globes are irrelevant, and this year, Tina and Amy couldn't even make them entertaining.  So while I support their elimination... I find the image of Tom Cruise putting his statues in a box, addressing the box to HFPA and having his assistant take it to a post office to be completely laughable.  It's entirely self-serving.  "Look at me, I'm Tom Cruise, I'm extremely important and I am TAKING A STAND.  I hope people applaud me and tell me how brave I am, because I am never tired about hearing about myself! Me me me!  I love ME!"

He's the male equivalent of Horseface Julia Roberts and her many teeth.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Nothing has changed at all in the way the organisation is run or the way they administer the awards.

It's probably grand standing.  Still, just because the same issues existed decades ago that exist today doesn't mean I'm not happy the standard for what is "acceptable" is changing. 

• Love 1

No matter what Tom Cruise does I will never forget or be distracted from the fact that he's an asshole Scientologist who's best buds with the head of that evil organization. I still remember how he said awful things about mental health in regards to Brooke Shields years ago on the Today Show while she was going through post partum depression.

The Golden Globes are an awards show I've never taken seriously especially after learning about Pia Zadora...

• Love 9

This article contains some interesting tidbits from talent managers and publicists: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/05/golden-globes-cancel-nbc-hfpa

One executive who has dealt extensively with the HFPA told Vanity Fair: “Through the years, there were things like, ‘Can you read this script?’ Or an inappropriate comment. Those kind of things, people just kinda put up with.” 

Their press conferences are renowned for awkward questions that spark arguments with each other. They sometimes come off more like pushy fans than journalists, asking for photos and autographs and uncomfortable favors.

A top talent rep describes how publicists prepare clients who are new to the HFPA: “This is what we tell all of them: ‘You won’t believe this, but the Golden Globes are decided by, like, 80 weirdos. They’re going to fight with each other and say weird things. Just pretend they’re a crazy aunt or uncle. Patronize them, and don’t worry—none of these interviews get seen anyway.’”

“They'll fly around the globe for Angry Birds, but they walked out on The Hate U Give, which was a film so socially relevant at the time—and still," she told Vanity Fair.

• Love 1
(edited)

Seems like PR work from the studios and talent agencies to try and edit themselves out of the narrative that they were very active and willing participants in the corruption deals with the HFPA.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Seems like PR work from the studios and talent agencies to try and edit themselves out of the narrative that they were very active and willing participants in the corruption deals with the HFPA.

Of course they were. I can't recall if it was discussed in this thread and I'm too lazy to go back and look, but just this year the HFPA was treated to a luxury junket compliments of the team behind Emily in Paris. Stars and studios have willingly played this game for years. 

Edited by MicheleinPhilly
Late in the day and I can't spell.
  • Love 1

“Stars and studios have willingly played this game for years.”

Oh yeah. Back in 2010/2011 there was chatter about The Tourist getting nominated for its awards due to a special screening or something like that.

19 hours ago, Jaded said:

No matter what Tom Cruise does I will never forget or be distracted from the fact that he's an asshole Scientologist who's best buds with the head of that evil organization

Tom Cruise handing back Golden Globes is the very essence of performative bullshit. This is a man who's every need has been fulfilled for decades mostly by unpaid or barely paid free labor from Scientology's Sea Org. In other words... slaves. Like him getting upset about masks last year, this is a P.R. exercise. Tom Cruise is the very essence of show biz corruption. He's not fighting it. 

• Love 11

The corruption makes all of this diversity talk meaningless in a way. Instead of having an elite corrupt organization made up of 87 white people, it will now be an elite corrupt organization made up of 87 people of various races.

It’s not just racism and sexism. The Golden Globes have been sunk by sheer stupidity.

With all of that said, I kind of enjoyed the GG as an award show in and of itself. In some ways I even preferred it back in the days before there was a host, it seemed to never drag on and on the way the Oscars did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

With all of that said, I kind of enjoyed the GG as an award show in and of itself.

I will too. I liked that it was a lot lighter than the rest of the awards and had a bigger selection of celebrities. That was probably part of the problem as they were essentially paying to be nominated but the superficial part of me enjoyed that there was a wider group of tv/movie stars.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Hiyo said:

“Stars and studios have willingly played this game for years.”

Oh yeah. Back in 2010/2011 there was chatter about The Tourist getting nominated for its awards due to a special screening or something like that.

The Tourist's nominations were a total headscratcher. I always just assumed they were to ensure that Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp would show up at the ceremony. The HFPA are MAJOR star-f***ers. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

And the show did have some fun moments, like when Christine Lahti won an award...while she was in the bathroom.

Yes!! Or when Ving Rhames gave fellow nominee Jack Lemmon the GG that he (Rhames) had just won.

• Love 3
On 5/12/2021 at 1:07 AM, Hiyo said:

The corruption makes all of this diversity talk meaningless in a way. Instead of having an elite corrupt organization made up of 87 white people, it will now be an elite corrupt organization made up of 87 people of various races.

If they were actually the 87 most qualified people, it might make sense.  But that's never been a requirement with the ultra-sleazy HFPA.  It's more been "who had the connections to get a bunch of free, all expenses paid, vacations every year". 

• Love 3
On 5/14/2021 at 3:28 PM, Kromm said:

If they were actually the 87 most qualified people, it might make sense.  But that's never been a requirement with the ultra-sleazy HFPA.  It's more been "who had the connections to get a bunch of free, all expenses paid, vacations every year". 

BINGO. In reading about the inner workings of the HFPA this year, I was a bit surprised to learn that a large percentage of them aren't even working journalists and they get paid to sit on various HFPA "committees" that seem to serve no purpose whatsoever. Hell, I'd like to join the HFPA. 

• LOL 1