Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Renee Zellweger and Ellen Pompeo - I can never tell the difference.

7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Pretty sure Ellen can open up her eyes.

Hahaha I was going to say something similar.  Squinty McSquint back looking as squinty as ever.  I thought she had some kind of plastic surgery to fix it that made her unrecognisable?  

7 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I hate to be that person, but that's not a good look on Ms. Howard.

I know she’s pregnant, but yeah, not a good look.  She was stuffed into it, and her hairstyling didn’t do her any favours either.

1 minute ago, Quickbeam said:

I was hoping for some love for Unorthodox which is the best thing I’ve seen in years. 

Thank you -- I love getting reminded here of productions I meant to watch, but then forgot!  Will watch this for sure! 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Where are barb and star meant to be from?

It's Kristin Wiig's latest project, with her friend and writing partner of many years. Someone else will have to come up with the actual name of the thing! (Thanks, AimingforYoko!)

Edited by FoundTime
12 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Renee Zellweger and Ellen Pompeo - I can never tell the difference.

That's me with Amy Adams and Isla Fischer. Actually I can tell them apart but I do also still think they look freakishly alike.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I missed the introduction. Who is she?

Bryce Dallas Howard. Best known for the Jurassic World films, but directed some episodes of The Mandolorian. 

1 minute ago, Avabelle said:

Where are barb and star meant to be from?

I don’t know, and I couldn’t hear them very well, but I thought it was dumb.  It could be taken as the “stars of Hollywood” poking fun at the “little people” tourists.  Insulting.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, blackwing said:
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I hate to be that person, but that's not a good look on Ms. Howard.

I know she’s pregnant, but yeah, not a good look.  She was stuffed into it, and her hairstyling didn’t do her any favours either.

Oh, I did not recognize her. As for the dress, I agree, it looked like she got it months ago and it no longer fit properly. I don't know that it would look much better on anyone else, either.

• Love 1
(edited)

HOLY FREAKING SHIT!!! Biggest upset of the night. No one saw this one coming. Don't know if this will repeat at the Oscars but it may have just pushed her bit further ahead in the race. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, WritinMan said:

I thought he was a stage hand when he came out.

Mr. ebk is a stagehand.  I will try not to take that personally...  😄 

• LOL 7

Well one good thing about the virtual awards, it kept the show on time. Because you know had this been the regular show with a bunch of celebrities getting increasingly tipsy throughout the nights, presenters making long winded, awkward banter, they would have never finished on time. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yup.  And Lee Daniels at first didn't think she could do it. 

He doubted the girl whose signature song is “Rise Up”? Joke’s on him! 😆

• Love 2

Well, like most award shows in a pandemic, it had its moments.  Not at the level of Jennifer Anniston spending a lot of time putting out an actual fire or weirdness, but the litmus test was having front line workers in the audience. They are the ones that will tell you “Mank? Didn’t watch it. Nomadland? Um , ok. SCHITT’S CREEK YAAAAAAAAY! OMG STABLER !”  And they are pointing out why the ratings for award shows have gone down for the past decade. 

See you at the Grammys, or SAGs or whatever is next, I can’t remember.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, freddi said:

I mainly watch the awards shows for the commentary here -- always hilarious and informative.  Thanks!!!

Ditto.  Great fun being on here with all of you.  Love the wit and comments.  I also found a couple of shows / movies to put on my list.  Not many...but a few.  

Till next awards show!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

It’s weird how Angela Bassett doesn’t age..

To quote the old saying, "Black don't crack."

Rosamund Pike's win was nice, but I expected Maria Bakalova to win. Talk about (almost) taking one for the team!

4 hours ago, vb68 said:

Good for Jodie, but poor Glenn. Always a bridesmaid.

Maybe at the Oscars, but Close has actually won three Golden Globe awards. 

Overall, an odd show, which is to be expected these days. I thought the split screen in different cities with Fey and Poehler made things awkward and not in a good way. 

Between Baron Cohen, Pike, Boyega, Kaluuya, The Crown, etc, the Globes really went hard core British tonight.

I'm not sure how much, if any, of a read we can get on what these results mean in terms of the Oscars, especially this year. 

I couldn't help but laugh at those like McDormand and Cate Blanchett, who couldn't even be bothered to appear on Zoom.

I realized when the show concluded, and I had watched the entire broadcast except for three minutes of Jane Fonda’s speech because two other shows on the DVR were recording, that the only thing I had watched out of all of those nominees is Hamilton.

To paraphrase Amy, I can sit for five hours of the same thing ten times, but I don’t have time to sit down and watch a two hour movie (or binge a new show).  During quarantine I basically watched old baseball games or “Friends” and “The Big Bang Theory” reruns while I read, or cleaned, or cooked.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Slade347 said:

. I thought the split screen in different cities with Fey and Poehler made things awkward and not in a good way. 

Agreed. I didn’t think they were great either. Poehler especially just didn’t seem interested. 

• Love 2
(edited)

@Mojoween: My response to that is, to quote the old saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt." I love my old-school shows too, but they're not the only things I watch. I also watch things that are outside my comfort zone. When I get tired of something old, I watch something that's not just new, but different.

In other words, I can watch/love a show like The Jeffersons, but since I've seen every episode, it can be boring, hence watching a movie like Parasite, a story set in a foreign country and told in a foreign language, but in a way that I could understand, which is why I love it, which proves that some things are much more universal than expected, when given a chance.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Some terrible looking movie called "Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar."

We watched the movie the other night and thought it was hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Agreed. I didn’t think they were great either. Poehler especially just didn’t seem interested. 

Agree. We watched the show for 45 minutes and then turned it off. It was just boring and awkward.

4 hours ago, Slade347 said:

Between Baron Cohen, Pike, Boyega, Kaluuya, The Crown, etc, the Globes really went hard core British tonight.

And while an ostensibly American show, The Queen's Gambit had a heavily UK-centric cast and crew, including Anya Taylor-Joy (she's 'from all over' but her default accent is English, not American). And IIRC none of it was even filmed in the US. 

(Er, none of these are complaints, I loved that show and its cast. Just continuing the observation.)

I knew Queen's Gambit was going to smash that category, but I do feel bad for Daisy Edgar-Jones. Highly recommend Normal People (Hulu), an also-ran. 

• Love 4

I have a lot of skepticism about awards like this. Oscars are very political and to me hold no real reflection on who’s best, however, I suppose they serve some purpose.  I completely understand artists who have no interest in it.  For me it’s not who or what is best.  I just like to see outstanding projects and performances recognized.  

• Love 2