Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/6/2020 at 2:18 PM, teddysmom said:

I saw a little of the series she won for last night, again a difficult topic. She played a woman scamming charities and doctors that her daughter was sick, when she wasn't. 

You mean The Act, for which Joey King has gone 0fer on the awards, despite all the noms?

I think Emily in Paris is kind of hilarious as a nom but I feel like the Globes always has one superficial fluff in the comedy section that never gets nominated anywhere else.

I do really like Lily Collins though and think it would have been woeful in the hands of another actress so good for her and the team.

• Love 1

I don’t understand why it’s so hard for actors of East Asian descent to get nominated for anything.  Nothing last year for the “Parasite” actors, nothing for “Crazy Rich Asians” particularly the incomparable Michelle Yeoh, nothing for Awkwafina or the grandma in “The Farewell”.   And this year, Steven Yeun and the grandma in “Minari” also get snubbed.  I believe I’ve read somewhere where the grandma was considered among the front runners for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar.  And don’t get me started on wrongs of the past, like “The Last Emperor” and “Crouching Tiger” getting Best Picture noms/wins and zero acting nominations.

This year, it’s like the HFP went out of its way to make sure black actors were nominated and then they threw in a token nomination or two for Middle Eastern or Indian and consider those nominations for “Asian” actors.  I mean, technically they are on the continent of Asia, but still.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, blackwing said:

I don’t understand why it’s so hard for actors of East Asian descent to get nominated for anything.  Nothing last year for the “Parasite” actors, nothing for “Crazy Rich Asians” particularly the incomparable Michelle Yeoh, nothing for Awkwafina or the grandma in “The Farewell”.

Contance Wu and Awkwafina were both nominated for Crazy Rich Asians and The Farewell respectively and Awkwafina actually won for the latter. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Contance Wu and Awkwafina were both nominated for Crazy Rich Asians and The Farewell respectively and Awkwafina actually won for the latter. 

Ah thanks for the correction.  My apologies, I must have been thinking of the Oscars. 

It may be a silly little film, but I am so happy for Maria Bakalova.  I actually DON'T think Sacha Baron Cohen deserved his nomination, but Maria definitely did. She legitimately stole every scene right out from under Cohen. She was funnier, yet at the same time brought far more depth and nuance. It was STILL a silly little film, somewhat culturally elevated by Rudy Guiliani being a goon, amazing timing in being accidentally relevant in both politics and Coronavirus, but she elevated it. And it's not that Cohen did badly either. But it was the difference between it being an amusing and timely film and it being genuinely memorable. 

The LA Times did a story about the HFPA and the Golden Globes. Some tidbits:

There are zero Black journalists among the 87 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, according to the Times, and the organization — whose ethics have long been questioned, dating back to an FCC investigation that led to a broadcast ban from 1968-74 and the Pia Zadora scandal of 1982 — is continuing to allow its members to behave in ways that call into question their ethics and integrity.

Many observers also were confounded by the multiple major noms for Sia's widely panned and controversial film Music and the aforementioned TV series Emily in Paris. While the former remains inexplicable, the Times reports that Paramount Television flew more than 30 HFPA members to France in 2019 to visit the set of the latter. There, they were treated to "a two-night stay at the five-star Peninsula Paris hotel, where rooms currently start at about $1,400 a night, and a news conference and lunch at the Musée des Arts Forains, a private museum filled with amusement rides dating to 1850 where the show was shooting," the Times reported.

The Times also reported that the HFPA has been paying its own members increasingly large amounts from an increasingly large pool of money generated from the organization's TV deal with NBC. In the tax year ending June 30, 2019, five board offers were paid between $63,433 and $135,957. Other members are paid for serving on the HFPA's committees and writing for its website. Two dozen members who are on the foreign film viewing committee each received $3,465 to watch foreign films last month. Members of a travel committee earn $2,310 a month, members of a film festival committee earn $1,100 a month, and members of an archives committee earn $2,200. And members who moderate press conferences receive $1,200 a month.

The Times spoke to tax experts who stated that this type of payment is not typical, especially for an organization that is tax-exempt. It also noted that the TV and film academies do not pay their members (although the film Academy has a staff of some 300, whereas the HFPA reportedly has just six employees).

On 2/22/2021 at 6:26 PM, Avabelle said:

Ok but who did James Corden bribe for his nomination? That to me is the most ridiculous - there were so many other actors who deserved that slot over him.

Agreed.  There are plenty of actors who have won Oscars and been nominated for Razzies (I recall Halle Berry bringing her Oscar for "Monsters Ball" with her when she accepted the Razzie for "Catwoman") but I don't think anyone has ever been nominated for a Globe/Oscar and a Razzie for the same movie.  I think Corden might accomplish that feat this year. 

Not surprised he got a Globe nom.  It's the Hollywood Foreign Press... I'm sure they all love him because he's English and because of his talk show and his political bashing.  He was saying the things they wanted to say themselves.

• Love 1

True - I just think Corden was exceptionally bad in an already pretty cringey movie. I digress though as I don’t think people disliked the movie as much as I did.

im looking forward to tomorrow although I’ll really miss the red carpet. I wonder if they’ll dress up. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

The Globes have always had some eyebrow raising nominations (The Tourist, Chocolat), so this year isn't anything different...

I wouldn't call Chocolat an eyebrow raising nomination. The film was an Award Season favorite that year, getting nominations at all the major award shows. Unless you're referring to the Globes categorizing it as Comedy/Musical. 

As for tomorrow's night ceremony, I made my prediction post on my blog and fully anticipate being wrong for a bunch of the categories, particularly the television categories.

Because HFPA voters are the most unpredictable when it comes to Awards Season. So trying to predict what they'll do sometimes is like trying to predict the lottery numbers. But what the hell, that's part of the fun. So here are my predictions for the film categories. 

• Best Motion Picture Drama - The Trial of the Chicago 7
  • Best Actress - Carey Mulligan
  • Best Actor - Chadwick Boseman
  • Best Supporting Actress - Olivia Colman
  • Best Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya 
  • Best Motion Picture Comedy or Musical - Borat
  • Best Actor Comedy or Musical - Sacha Baron Cohen
  • Best Actress Comedy or Musical - Maria Bakalova
  • Best Director - Chloe Zhao
  • Best Foreign Language Film - Minari
  • Best Animated Film - Soul 
  • Best Screenplay - The Trial of the Chicago 7

As for television, I expect The Crown to win big in Drama and Ted Lasso to be the surprise newcomer in Comedy. I would definitely be surprised if Jason Sudeikis doesn't win Actor in a Comedy/Musical. 

Well yes, we all know that in retrospect, many Miramax films got the side-eye comments because of Harvey's now not so secret aggressive award campaigning tactics. That said, personal opinion, I loved the film and I can think of worse films that have been heavily lauded. And it's not like it won most of these nominations. 

• Love 1

Getting in my predictions ahead of tonights show. I don't claim to know ANYTHING about the movie business and with the wide range of choice this year I'm really behind and haven't seen a lot of the shows and films so my answers are mostly guesses based on what I feel was popular and widely talked in recent weeks. Some of the categories such as foreign film and score are total shots in the dark as hadn't heard of any of them but sure hey, I wanted to fully commit. Hopefully I'll see some of you in here when the pre shows start 🙂

TV

Best TV Series, Drama: 
“The Crown””

Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama:
Emma Corrin, “The Crown”

Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama:
Josh O’Connor, “The Crown”

Best TV Movie or Limited-Series:
“The Queen’s Gambit”

Best Actress in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie: ”
Anya Taylor-Joy, “The Queens Gambit”

Best Actor in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie: 
Jeff Daniels, “The Comey Rule”

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie:
Annie Murphy, “Schitt’s Creek”

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Limited-Series or TV Movie:
Daniel Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”

Film awards

Best Director: Motion Picture: 
David Fincher, “Mank”

Best Screenplay: 
Emerald Fennell, “Promising Young Woman”

Best Animated Feature Film: 
“The Croods: A New Age”

Best Foreign Language Film:
”Two of Us,” France/USA

Best Original Score:
James Newton Howard, “News of the World”

Best Original Song:
“Hear My Voice,” “The Trial of the Chicago 7″

Best Motion Picture: Drama
“The Trial of the Chicago 7”

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama:
Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama: 
Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy:
Borat Subsequent MovieFilm

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: 
Maria Bakalova, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: 
Sacha Baron Cohen, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”

Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Sacha Baron Cohen, “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Amanda Seyfried, “Mank”

I know it’s obviously not the same because there’s no red carpet but any suggestions for pre show coverage. E! Is doing something but assume it’s just going to be the best of the red carpet or something like that..

What has Giuliana done to her upper lip? Is she just having a lipstick fail? It doesn't look like fillers, but just doesn't look right. And she needs to brush her hair. 

I'm already sick of these people acting like they haven't gotten dressed in a year. Yeah, you didn't have a reason to wear a gown or a million in jewels.... welcome to the real world. 

5 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

And something new and live to watch. It could, and probably will, totally suck, but hey, we can't be picky these days. 

Most likely but the beauty is it sucks every year and it’s always awkward yet we love it all the same.

I’ll also be in the minority and say while Giulianna isn’t always the most popular for the year that’s in it I’m happy to see her. 

.... can you tell I’m halfway through my awards wine..

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Avabelle said:

Most likely but the beauty is it sucks every year and it’s always awkward yet we love it all the same.

I’ll also be in the minority and say while Giulianna isn’t always the most popular for the year that’s in it I’m happy to see her. 

.... can you tell I’m halfway through my awards wine..

Well the dress Giuliana is wearing is better compared to other years.

I have to watch The Great it seems like a good show.

5 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Elle Fanning looked nice. From what I saw of her dress it looked good. Nice color.

Giuliana Rancic is still annoying even with no actual red carpet lol.

Same old Giuliana...too tan, too skinny. Man she looks frowzy!!

2 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Well the dress Giuliana is wearing is better compared to other years.

I have to watch The Great it seems like a good show.

The Great is delightful. Don't hesitate. I was excited to hear Elle Fanning say that they've begun shooting Season2.

• Love 1