Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Tina Fey and Amy Poehler joke that I remember hearing was when they said that Kathryn Bigelow knew all about torture because she was once married to James Cameron.  That is a really funny joke.

Edited by benteen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, benteen said:

The Tina Fey and Amy Poehler joke that I remember hearing was when they said that Kathryn Bigelow knew all about torture because she was once married to James Cameron.  That is a really funny joke.

I really like their joke about Gravity - " it's the story of how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age."

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, thejuicer said:

Michelle Williams's speech was just wonderful. She has received some flak in the media for the "messiness" of her past relationships/current engagement to a married man/pregnancy and she very classily shut that down last night by reminding everyone very simply, her body = her choice. Good for her. 

Well, yeah, her body, her choice. If she's just talking about abortion, that's fine. But if she's talking about taking up with a married man while she herself was still married, that's a little more messy to put it nicely. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

She was good on Medium, but I haven't seen her in anything since.

What I saw of that Showtime mini series, she played the woman who helped the two prisoners escape, she was really good. It's just a hard watch. 

I saw a little of the series she won for last night, again a difficult topic. She played a woman scamming charities and doctors that her daughter was sick, when she wasn't. 

After I saw "Harriet", I made a joke about it being snubbed come awards season. I really wish I hadn't, because it seems to be coming true. I'm very disappointed Cynthia Erivio didn't win for her phenomenal work.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I haven't seen Fosse/Verdon, but nothing Michelle Williams has ever done has made me go "wow", even in her four Oscar-nominated roles. 

I thought she was very good in My Weekend with Marilyn, but haven't seen Fosse/Verdon.

10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought she was very good in My Weekend with Marilyn, but haven't seen Fosse/Verdon.

I saw Fosse/Verdon she was fantastic. She became Gwen Verdon, the voice mannerisms etc. 

40 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I really like their joke about Gravity - " it's the story of how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age."

What was the joke they made about Taylor Swift? We were talking about how Ricky is always so brutal, and the only hosts recently that have received accolades were Tina & Amy. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I saw Fosse/Verdon she was fantastic. She became Gwen Verdon, the voice mannerisms etc. 

I like Michelle the best in Blue Valentine. And she wiped the floor with Casey Affleck in her very small screen time in Manchester By The Sea.

I think Michelle is one of those actresses that do subtle and nuanced acting the best. She's not very showy, like say a Charlize or Scarlett may be. There's room for different acting methods and I appreciate hers. 

31 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

What was the joke they made about Taylor Swift? We were talking about how Ricky is always so brutal, and the only hosts recently that have received accolades were Tina & Amy. 

That she stay away from Michael Douglas' son (who I think was the GG trophy person that year) and that she needs alone time to figure out what she really wants. 

If you think about it, Tina and Amy were pretty brutal during their time, and they picked on everyone, they didn't shy away from the big guns like Clooney, etc. But you know, they're one of them, unlike Gervais, so they get some more pass.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, slowpoked said:

If you think about it, Tina and Amy were pretty brutal during their time, and they picked on everyone, they didn't shy away from the big guns like Clooney, etc. But you know, they're one of them, unlike Gervais, so they get some more pass.

Maybe that's it, the crowd wants to be in on the jokes with Amy & Tina. I imagine they would have made Jeffrey Epstein jokes, and Cats jokes, just not one about Judi Dench's bathing suit area (as Liz Lemon referred to it). 

I wonder if anyone would have mentioned Australia if Russell Crowe hadn't in his thank you statement. 

A coworker was wondering why Once Upon A Time...won.  We agreed it was enjoyable as far as the Brad/Leo characters,  but so odd, the stuff with Sharon Tate, it was nice to see her character as a happy person, but being reminded of what really happened is so gruesome.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I was really hoping someone would come out towing a white, cable knit sweater on a stand. They wouldn't have even had to introduce it, that could have been the whole joke. 

?

Chris Evans sweater in Knives Out.  It about broke the internet, and then he bought a similar sweater for his dog for Christmas. 

5 hours ago, benteen said:

Yep.  

This is how it's done. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

A coworker was wondering why Once Upon A Time...won.  We agreed it was enjoyable as far as the Brad/Leo characters,  but so odd, the stuff with Sharon Tate, it was nice to see her character as a happy person, but being reminded of what really happened is so gruesome.

Movies about Hollywood and the industry tend to rake in awards. I suspect the homages in The Shape of Water is what put it over the edge a couple years ago. Plus OUaTiH "undoes" one of the darker moments in Hollywood history. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the other frontrunners in the upcoming awards once comedies and dramas are combined but I think it's probably the favorite at this point.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Chris Evans sweater in Knives Out.  It about broke the internet, and then he bought a similar sweater for his dog for Christmas. 

Ah, I haven't seen the movie or anything about the sweater so your reference meant nothing to me.  Thanks for the explanation.

22 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Yep.  

This is how it's done. 

I didn't think they were any funnier than most of Ricky Gervais' jokes.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, dmeets said:

Movies about Hollywood and the industry tend to rake in awards. I suspect the homages in The Shape of Water is what put it over the edge a couple years ago. Plus OUaTiH "undoes" one of the darker moments in Hollywood history. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the other frontrunners in the upcoming awards once comedies and dramas are combined but I think it's probably the favorite at this point.

Hollywood loves movies about it. Navel gazing about its greatness is Hollywood's favorite pastime. I thought Argo was a good movie, but Best Picture? Hollywood plays the hero, though. Ditto for La La Land. It's an overwrought, typical, been-there-done-that love story about two down on the luck persons, but because it involves the struggles in Hollywood, it was showered with so much praise. 

2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I wonder if anyone would have mentioned Australia if Russell Crowe hadn't in his thank you statement. 

Cate Blanchett was a presenter, so I'm sure she would have mentioned it somehow. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

didn't think they were any funnier than most of Ricky Gervais' jokes.

They weren’t. He’s just not one of them. That’s literally the only difference that I can see. I think he got a lot of laughs though. It wasn’t as bad as I expected though from reading here. I think his style of presenting his the reluctant, grumpy host. I don’t think he’s as hated as people think he has a lot of high profile friends.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

Renee Zellweger will forever mind me of Meredith Grey.. I didn’t know she was southern. 

Agreed, she kind of does have a Meredith Grey quality.  I thought she was drunk and awkward. Everyone pretty much said she was a lock to win and she was stumbling over herself like she didn’t prepare anything. 

Also, what happened to her face?  I know she’s obviously had plastic surgery.  People always commented on her tiny eyes and I always assumed it was just her squinting a lot.  I recall she allegedly had some secret eyelid surgery that made her eyes look bigger.  I saw the pictures and she was unrecognisable.  But then last night she looked just as Squinty McSquint as she has always looked.

As far as fashion, it’s always interesting to go to the various websites the day after and see who made Best and Worst Dressed.   I must be one of the few that loved Jennifer Lopez’s dress.  Yes, it had a huge bow on it.  The whole point to me is that she looked delicious enough to unwrap.  I assume she was mentally inviting guys to pull the bow.  I feel like she could wear anything and I’d still find it a hit.  

Same with Cate Blanchett.  She seems to have gotten raked over the coals for those arm accordion things, but I find she can do no wrong.  

I’m a bit tired of media always gushing over Billy Porter.  “He’s so avant garde and edgy!”  No.  He’s a man wearing a dress.  He seems to wear a dress at every major awards show so at this point, he’s no longer “edgy”.  

• Love 2

I was thrilled for Awkwafina but crushed for J Lo and Helena Bonham Carter.  

J Lo because this was the performance of her career.  She brought a combination of such heart and ruthlessness to Ramona Vega.  It was a very layered and complex character and performance.  

Bonham Carter seemed like she was born to play the role of Princess Margaret.  So much fun combined with heartache.  But for some reason the HFPA seems to looovvveee Patricia Arquette.  Sigh.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I was thrilled for Awkwafina but crushed for J Lo and Helena Bonham Carter.  

J Lo because this was the performance of her career.  She brought a combination of such heart and ruthlessness to Ramona Vega.  It was a very layered and complex character and performance.  

Bonham Carter seemed like she was born to play the role of Princess Margaret.  So much fun combined with heartache.  But for some reason the HFPA seems to looovvveee Patricia Arquette.  Sigh.

I wish I could see even a little bit of what people keep raving about J Lo in Hustlers. Nothing in that movie was major awards worthy. J Lo did nothing dramatically that I haven't seen her do in shades of blue on NBC is even Selena back in the day. She never loses herself in a role. I never felt like her character was ever a real person. I don't think anyone in movie played outside of who they generally are except for possibly Constance.

I'm not even mad she got nominated. Great for her. I see no snub for her here. 

• Love 7

I finally watched Ricky’s monologue and laughed so hard.  I am confused as to how Ricky isn’t one of them.  He created and won awards for the UK’s The Office.  He’s been in Hollywood movies.  He’s created shows for Netflix.  What in the world makes him other?

I thought his Felicity Huffman joke was timely; she may be out of prison, but this is the first big thing since the scandal broke and we are still hearing about it through the remaining trials.  Tina and Amy were way more brutal than he is.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I’m a bit tired of media always gushing over Billy Porter.  “He’s so avant garde and edgy!”  No.  He’s a man wearing a dress.  He seems to wear a dress at every major awards show so at this point, he’s no longer “edgy”.  

I agree.  The first few outfits I saw him in I thought were kind of interesting, but now he's just looking like he's trying much too hard to look "edgy."  He has a nice, slim body so I'd like to see him dressed up in a tux at these events for a change.    

• Love 4

Speaking of looking awful: saw the trio of pale, skeletal Hollywood Frankensteins standing together and it made me think what an awful place it is for women and how they disfigure themselves.  Scarlett Johansson, never noticed before how not pretty she is, I guess her figure distracted, Renee Zeleweger, barely visible and those eyes, not to mention she always acts a little “off”. She probably had no problem channeling Judy Garland.  And finally, Nicole Kidman. A living doll, and I don’t mean it as a compliment.  The 3 of them standing together was actually scary!

• Love 1

It's those stupid severe no bang required looks that's becoming the in thing. That was never an attractive look on women with big foreheads and those boyish haircuts cropped to the skull is a big no. While Annie Lennox and Jamie Lee Curtis could get away with it and still look better regardless, it shows that some women could not get away with the androgynous look. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

She most likely got fillers and botox. Both wear off in about a year and a half.

I won't forgive her for her quote that her face looked different just because she was happy. F off, lady. If that's all it takes, then average women everywhere would look fantastic!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I dislike the whole, "Oh ugh, here we are Hollywood, patting ourselves on the backs, we are such horrible hypocrites," as a joke theme. Sure, it works for your perennial A-Listers, De Niro, Kidman, Pitt, Williams, etc, but not for Awkafina, Hildur Guðnadóttir and Bong Joon-ho. These are big, important, dramatic moments in these peoples' careers. Mocking it as self-indulgent crap is insulting and not funny.

• Love 11

Hildur Guðnadóttir - I was going to say "who?" because I didn't see The Joker and missed that part of the show, but then I remembered that she did the amazing score for Chernobyl.  Even though that wasn't the work for which she won a Golden Globe, I was so impressed by the score that I'm willing to assume The Joker score was equally award-worthy.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was so impressed by the score that I'm willing to assume The Joker score was equally award-worthy.

It was. When I left the cinema after seeing Joker, two things stayed with me the most - Joaquin's performance and the film's Score. The Score is so powerful that its almost its own character in the film. 

On 1/5/2020 at 8:44 PM, Toodleoo said:

The Epiphany isn’t until tomorrow, she could have left that mess on the tree for one more day.

IVH’s dresses are FLAMAZING and I am sad Joey King didn’t have the bearing to pull that off. The models on IVH’s Instagram did as did Gwendoline Christie.

I adore them so much.

Agree about Queen Jennifer. Yuk. Jason Momoa's wife, forgot her name and don't care enough to look it up, looks like a total bitch. I said look. I don't know much about her but she does NOT look approachable. 

22 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

Agree about Queen Jennifer. Yuk. Jason Momoa's wife, forgot her name and don't care enough to look it up, looks like a total bitch. I said look. I don't know much about her but she does NOT look approachable. 

Momoa's wife is Lisa Bonet, formerly of the Cosby Show, (and A Different World) ex of Lenny Kravitz and mother of Zoe Kravitz. She seems to shun publicity now. Jason's instagram stories seem to indicate that they have a lot of fun and he absolutely worships her. He talks about how when he was 8 and saw her on TV, he decided he wanted to marry her. I think she does Resting Bitchface on purpose because she doesn't want to answer questions about Cosby, her time on the show, marrying a man 11 years her junior, etc.

• Love 7
On 1/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Joaquin completely ignored Rooney. 

He also blew off Reese Witherspoon, his costar from Walk the Line as he walked past her.  She still turned and smiled, and I just figured Joaquin was in tunnel vision on his way to the stage.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:20 PM, Camille said:

After I saw "Harriet", I made a joke about it being snubbed come awards season. I really wish I hadn't, because it seems to be coming true. I'm very disappointed Cynthia Erivio didn't win for her phenomenal work.

I wish Harriet and Jojo Rabbit had better nominations. It seems those two films were completely ignored.

• Love 2
On 1/7/2020 at 7:01 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I wish Harriet and Jojo Rabbit had better nominations. It seems those two films were completely ignored.

I did not see Jojo Rabbit but Harriet Tubman could have and should have been a much better film. Based on the finished product, I am okay with it being ignored. Quite frankly I will be disappointed if Zellweger continues to win awards for Judy because that too was a middling movie - and performance came across as more of an imitation to me. But YMMV. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I did not see Jojo Rabbit but Harriet Tubman could have and should have been a much better film. Based on the finished product, I am okay with it being ignored. Quite frankly I will be disappointed if Zellweger continues to win awards for Judy because that too was a middling movie - and performance came across as more of an imitation to me. But YMMV. 

Go see Jojo Rabbit! It's so good.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2020 at 7:20 PM, scarynikki12 said:

They brought out Bernie! He deserves as much applause as Elton and Elton agrees. 

Eh, I always wished Elton had teamed up with a better lyricist.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:33 PM, Eureka said:

Bernie didn’t do Lion King, that was Tim Rice with Elton.

A significant upgrade, IMO.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:40 PM, wallflower75 said:

Yay for Olivia Colman winning!  But that dress...um...

QEII felt like a supporting character in S3 of The Crown.