Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Really hope Jojo Rabbit gets to my area soon.  It just looks so weird, that I have to see if they pull it off.  Certainly looks like a film that Taika Waititi would make.

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of child actors, but that kid playing Jojo was pretty amazing.  The movie is well worth your time, even though it gets really dark, and kind of falls apart at the end.

That joke that Sasha Baron Cohen made about Mark Zuckerberg ..... ouch !! 

Hit a little too close to the truth.

He hates Facebook, and for good reason.  I'm glad he used this moment to amplify his message.  There's something desperately wrong with Mark Zuckerberg and his entire creation.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, sally-can-wait said:

Why do I find it completely random that Charlize is presenting Tom this award? Like huh?

This is as wacky as the Jonas Brothers singing Earth, Wind & Fire songs at the Kennedy Center Honors.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

What, no mention of Bosom Buddies? 

There was a brief clip of Bosom Buddies, but no Joe vs. the Volcano mention -- the assemblers for this montage must have a brain cloud.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Still think Catch Me If You Can is some of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg's most underrated work.  And honestly one of my favorite performances from Leo DiCaprio, since he actually seemed to be having fun and not trying so damn hard.

Also, still can't figure out how Tom Hanks didn't at least get a nomination for those last five minutes in Captain Phillips.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I don't remember Tom Hanks on The Love Boat.  That's going way back.

I guess be grateful that you're not old enough to remember that?  I do remember but only because I used to watch the show in reruns---more recently that I should probably admit to given how slight the stories are.

2 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

What, no mention of Bosom Buddies? 

It was in the montage.

2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

This is as wacky as the Jonas Brothers singing Earth, Wind & Fire songs at the Kennedy Center Honors.

If she’s as big a fan as she said then that gave them the excuse to give it to her rather than more high profile costars. 

• Love 2

Only one person said they were on the Love Boat?  

If you were a New York actor, you're not a "real New York actor" until you did Law and Order. 

Tom Hanks is crying.  "Charlize is a one person name" is making her cry.

The onion cutting machine is working overtime tonight. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess be grateful that you're not old enough to remember that?  I do remember but only because I used to watch the show in reruns---more recently that I should probably admit to given how slight the stories are.

It was in the montage.

I am absolutely old enough.  I watched Love Boat all the time when it was on, and then Fantasy Island after that!  I just don't remember Tom's specific episode, but I remember all sorts of other people on the show.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I briefly contemplated watching Marriage Story for about 3 seconds, but I don't like Scarlett Johansen, Adam Driver, or marriage.

Same, but only the first two. I do happen to like marriage. 

Everyone is saying I should be into Adam Driver, but I just can't. 

• Love 1

I adore Tom Hanks.  He is a treasure like our current version of Jimmy Stewart IMO.

In the charming, wonderful “That Thing You Do”, Charlize had a tiny role as the vapid, self-involved girlfriend of the lead actor (Tom Everett Scott).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
Just now, MerBearHou said:

I adore Tom Hanks.  He is a treasure like our current version of Jimmy Stewart IMO.

In the charming, wonderful “That Thing You Do”, Charlize had a tiny role as the vapid, self-involved girlfriend of the lead actor (Tom Everett Scott).  

Jimmy Stewart didn't like Black people.  Tom Hanks has relatives who are Black people so I'll take Tom Hanks every time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Surprising, Charlize Theron is the only person besides Tom Hanks that is still doing things after That Thing You Do.

Tom Everett Scott, Liv Tyler, Steve Zahn, and Giovanni Ribisi went on to have pretty good careers.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Still think Catch Me If You Can is some of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg's most underrated work.  And honestly one of my favorite performances from Leo DiCaprio, since he actually seemed to be having fun and not trying so damn hard.

Also, still can't figure out how Tom Hanks didn't at least get a nomination for those last five minutes in Captain Phillips.

God, I love that movie. One of both Tom and Leo's best work. I was sad that it didn't gain much traction during its awards season run except for Christopher Walken who was so fantastic in it as Leo's father. 

• Love 8
Just now, mightysparrow said:

Jimmy Stewart didn't like Black people.  Tom Hanks has relatives who are Black people so I'll take Tom Hanks every time.

Really? I knew he was super duper conservative but unlike John Wayne I've never heard "Jimmy Stewart racist" stories again.

• Love 2

Why do I suddenly want a Tom Hanks/Martin Scorsese movie?

I loved the part about actors should be on time for work, considering some people in the room are infamous for showing up hours late. 

I know the day Tom Hanks passes on, we are so damn screwed.

• Love 11