Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Get Out was one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. I guess the part that makes it a comedy is the friend of the main character who provides comedic relief amongst the tense suspenseful other parts of the movie. It was definitely much needed! 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

ETA: With comments like Natalie's, and when women in general say we need more women on the board of corporations/leadership positions to achieve more equality, people get panicky because they take it as "take away a man's spot to give to the woman", where really it's actually more like, just create more room at the table for women as well. 

I know you're just quoting this, so this is not directly to you, but since when was it a "a man's spot"? It's just a spot. Available for both men and women. The only reason that the men fill it up all the time was because there wasn't a lot of women's work to choose from each year. 

• Love 3

Oprah's speech was great, very inspiring and hopeful.  I can see where people believe in all the good she has done and can do.  She could be a very positive and credible candidate if she wants, with good business experience, given how she came from very little.  A real rags to riches life.  She’s smart and articulate.  Celebrity doesn’t have to automatically disqualify someone.

I love how the women all got "the memo" about wearing black and most did (though they certainly brought the cleavage).

I just don't get what is cult about The Room, why it is so much of a deal that Franco had to make a movie about its creator.

Added a few more movies and TV shows to my list.  Considering how reviled Tonya Harding was, I'm interested to see how the movie redeemed her.  I love that she was invited to the awards.  I haven't yet seen Get Out, but I didn't think it was a comedy.

Seth Myers did a fine job as host.  That Harvey Weinstein joke was spot on.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 3

Call me crazy.. but maybe directors should be hired based on talent and their vision for a project.. not due to their gender, etc.

Also, if there are nominees next year that are female, the question of whether they got the nomination based on their gender or merit will be made.

Plus, I agree with previous comments that if you want to increase the chances of a female being nominated as best director.. they need to be hired to direct.  If you have 100 movies and only 5 are directed by women.. that lowers your chances of getting nominated unless you direct a superior product that you get noticed.

And Oprah's speech was good.. but not mentioning in her speech that men are also victims was the only miss.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I know you're just quoting this, so this is not directly to you, but since when was it a "a man's spot"? It's just a spot. Available for both men and women. The only reason that the men fill it up all the time was because there wasn't a lot of women's work to choose from each year. 

Lady Bird was  arguably the most well reviewed movie of the year depending on whether you go by Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes (where it actually broke a record).  Yet its director wasn't nominated.  So there was a clear piece of work to choose from this year that was directed by a woman.  They didn't snub Nolan.

And it should be looked at as just a spot but the reaction to Natalie's comment was "which man's spot should she have been given?" 

1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Call me crazy.. but maybe directors should be hired based on talent and their vision for a project.. not due to their gender, etc.

You're not crazy.  I believe that too.  But unfortunately, bias (whether people realize they're doing it or not) corrupts the evaluation of "most talented" or "best vision." That's why I don't think it will really improve beyond simply wanting it to improve until more women are given positions of power and don't still have to convince men that they're competent (according to the men's POV) if they want to keep that position of power.

Also, if there are nominees next year that are female, the question of whether they got the nomination based on their gender or merit will be made.

Absolutely because when a woman or a person of color/work of color does manage to get through the overt and/or unconscious bias and receive awards recognition, the next step in undermining the achievement is by making accusations that it's based less on merit and more on the "statement" it'd make.  It's something that has dogged Moonlight's win. In fact, Mark Harris interviewed an Oscar voter who dismissed Call Me By Your Name and Get Out as possible winners because they "did that" (the black thing and the gay thing) last year with Moonlight.  I'm not saying they'd have to pick CMBYN or GO but to use "we did that" as the justification?  Awful.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Lady Bird was  arguably the most well reviewed movie of the year depending on whether you go by Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes (where it actually broke a record).  Yet its director wasn't nominated.  So there was a clear piece of work to choose from this year that was directed by a woman.

This is inarguable. Just so it appears somewhere in this thread, though, Gerwig was nominated for her screenplay. (As was another woman, Liz Hannah, for The Post.) I think a case can be made that Lady Bird was more a triumph of writing than it was of direction, and that therefore the writing nom was the appropriate honor for the HFPA to bestow on Gerwig. As I say, it's undeniably odd that Gerwig didn't receive a director nom when her movie won Best Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical; but not completely indefensible. And not the first time that a director of a movie (male or female) failed to secure a nomination for a movie that was otherwise honored. As recently as 2013, Argo won the Oscar for Best Picture but its director, Ben Affleck, didn't receive a nomination in the direction category. In 2016, The Martian, Brooklyn, and Bridge of Spies all won Best Picture Oscar nominations, while none of their respective directors were nominated in the direction category.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

As recently as 2013, Argo won the Oscar for Best Picture but its director, Ben Affleck, didn't receive a nomination in the direction category. In 2016, The Martian, Brooklyn, and Bridge of Spies all won Best Picture Oscar nominations, while none of their respective directors were nominated in the direction category.

Well there are up to 10 films nominated every year and only 5 directors, so obviously around half of the best deemed pictures aren't going to get a directing nomination. What's extremely rare is to win Best Picture without having a directing nomination (Argo is the only exception in the last decade, and Affleck's snub was a pretty big deal.) The Golden Globes have very different statistics though, especially when it comes to Comedy/Musicals since past winners like The Hangover weren't serious award contenders.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

As recently as 2013, Argo won the Oscar for Best Picture but its director, Ben Affleck, didn't receive a nomination in the direction category.

True but every single director nominated that year directed a best picture nominated film.  Ridley Scott's film was not nominated for best picture while he got a BD nod.

• Love 1

Again, this is for the Oscars and not the Golden Globes, but looking through Wikipedia, there are two instances in the past decade where a director was nominated, but not their film. Foxcatcher in 2015 and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in 2008. As for the Golden Globes there were four instances, five including Ridley Scott this year. Last year Tom Ford was nominated for directing Nocturnal Animals, but the film was not nominated. In 2015, David Fincher was nominated for Gone Girl, but not the film. In 2010 Clint Eastwood was nominated for Invictus, but nothing for the film. And in 2008 Julian Schnabel actually won for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, in this case it was nominated (and won) for foreign language film (I guess it wasn't eligible for that category at the Oscars.)

• Love 1

I keep seeing this come up and what I think people may be missing is it isn't just "there were no women directors" worthy.  When there are, they will be nominated.  First off, that totally misses the point that you have a system in place that doesn't allow women to even be green light movies to direct.  The reason the number for women directors is so low is because woman aren't given the opportunity to direct so women who are capable are often pushed into other areas of the entertainment industry and try to slide into directing at a later date.

The directing issue isn't just about Greta Gerwig.  This year the conversation also included why none of these four women directors weren't nominated; Dee Rees, Angelina Jolie, Greta Gerwig and Patty Jenkins.  So if we are trying to look at things "fairly" than the conversation needs to be were all the movies directed by males nominated all singularly and collectively better than all/any of the movies directed by the women above.  The consensus seems to be that Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg while really great directors were given their nominations because of their names and not the collective quality of their movies made. 

Now movie criticisms is subjective and you will always have outliers, but considering the very small sample size of the HFPA the nominations and winners share a much more collective win than any other awards show given.  I think Greta is the more obvious snub of the women mentioned but that doesn't mean that she was the only woman director in contention. 

• Love 9

What does Jodie Comer have to do to get a friggin' nomination for Killing Eve?!!!  I really thought the Hollywood Foreign Press would right the wrong that the Emmy folks didn't do by nominating her. Very disappointed. Glad at the least the show got a nom. and Sandra Oh, but her co-star is the one who really deserves it.

Some good and expected picks for all the actress categories but my hope of Toni Collette getting in for Hereditary was squashed.

I liked Adam Driver in BlacKkKlansman so I'm glad he got a nomination.

Happy for Amy Adam's and Patricia Clarkson nomination for Sharp Objects. Amy is a double nominee. 

Not surprised about A Star is Born. Funny because I thought Lady Gaga was bad in Season 5 of American Horror Story. 

Glad the Americans got in.

Toni Collette was good in Hereditary but not shocked she was snubbed.

3 hours ago, Valny said:

What does Jodie Comer have to do to get a friggin' nomination for Killing Eve?!!!  I really thought the Hollywood Foreign Press would right the wrong that the Emmy folks didn't do by nominating her. Very disappointed. 

There’s a smaller chance of a nomination at the globes because they have that stupid supporting category for television.

For the lead categories they’re separated, but supporting is all lumped into a single category for male and female.  So you get drama, comedy, movie, and limited series all in one supporting category. I say if they’re going to do that nonsense then they need 8-10 nominees for the supporting categories.

It’s the only thing keeping me from being ticked that Betty Gilpin wasn’t recognized for Glow’s second season. 

13 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Bohemian Rhapsody?  I know a lot of people thought it was entertaining, but did anyone think it was good?

How did The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel get nominated again?  Was the 2nd season even out when the HFPA members voted?

Yeah I thought Bohemian had tame reviews not worthy of award recognition. 

Maybe Maisel sent screeners out like those movies not out. Otherwise I have no idea either because it just came out this week. 

A word or three about Animated feature:

Incredibles 2—I only think that this is here because Pixar is mandatory. I'm fine with it, but it's not their best.

Isle of Dogs— I don't know if this is "racist" or not. It was interesting in it's way, but it wasn't anywhere near genius.

Mirai—I just saw this, and what it is is a Christmas Carol with "Scrooge" as a petulant toddler. I can see why it was nominated. Totally weird.

Ralph Breaks the Internet—I'm pretty sure this will probably win. It's something everyone gets.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (not seen yet)

Edited by Notwisconsin

Is Idris Elba wearing green patterned rubber? I mean, I don't blame him for sporting rubber given the way Giuliana gushed all over him.

Edited by ABay

I haven't been paying much attention to Giuliana since the Emmys, I think.  I don't recall seeing this new upper lip that she has.  I don't know how long she has had it.   Maybe it's been there a while and I just wasn't paying attention.   Did she just go crazy with the lip liner and extend the outline of her upper lip, or did she get her lip plumped up/injected?

• Love 3

Regina King looks amazing but the interview with Seacresr dragged on. She’s cute with her son though enemy if they wouldn’t get off the stage.

whos Justin Hartleys date? She looks like Megan Fox. 

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

So, what happens if the Eagles vs. Bears game on NBC isn't over by the Globes' start time of 8:00 p.m.???  What NBC/Comcast owned alternative network might get the beginning of the Globes?  

I believe they switch the game over to NBC Sports. 

• Love 1

I'm watching this sober, god help me. Last week I went into my local liquor store and there was no riesling on the shelves. My first thought was that I had wiped them out. So I'm cutting back a little. To paraphrase Airplane!, it looks like I picked the wrong day to give up drinking.

OMG, I had that exact same wallpaper in my bathroom in the 90s, Darren!

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I haven't been paying much attention to Giuliana since the Emmys, I think.  I don't recall seeing this new upper lip that she has.  I don't know how long she has had it.   Maybe it's been there a while and I just wasn't paying attention.   Did she just go crazy with the lip liner and extend the outline of her upper lip, or did she get her lip plumped up/injected?

I don't know what it is but her face does look different.

• Love 1

With picture-in-picture I can successfully block Giuliana's face wherever she stands. Heh.

That's a curiously plain dress on Amy Adams.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

For anyone who might like an alternate, I'm watching the official HFPA feed through The Hollywood Reporter's Facebook video link.  I like the coverage even better than what I'm seeing on E! and no commercials!  Plenty of split screens on the arrivals' area fashions while they're doing interviews.  Definitely worth a look.

• Love 3