Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Creatures Of The Night

Damn, how awesome is Fet, "Tell me the rules. Tell me how to kill them." And once he knows the rules, no hesitation. Having him hook up with the group totally lived up to the hype. Wasn't sorry to see Jim go. But it was a better ending than the alternative.

Now the hacker is with the group. I wonder when her little part in the play will come out.

• Love 6

That's what I'm talking about. Damn that was tense.

Points to Jim for being useful before getting infected and needing to be killed.

Fet is a great addition to the team. Loved the little moments at the gas pump ... "Im awaiting authorization.." and then him choosing premium gas.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 7

Yay the gang has finally met up with the health inspector guy.

Poor Samwise. I knew the surgery wasn’t going to work. Though he’s made some mistakes I still liked the character. Hate to see him go.

Ephraim and Dr. Nora still don’t get it. I fully understand their instinct to want to save Samwise with treatment. However, with the city nearing chaos, did they really think they’d be able to get to a hospital that is not overrun with "sick" people, and have the time to develop a successful treatment plan that would save their friend?

Thank God for the exterminator guy, besides Abraham, he’s the smartest guy on team slayers. Glad he stepped up and did what needed to be done.

I guess every episode has to have someone who acts with utter stupidity and this episode it was the gas station clerk. Why he was determined to remain in the store and wait for the police after all he’d seen is beyond me.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3

The whole time they were making their Molotov cocktails I was wondering if there weren't some sort of flammable aerosol spray cans in the store that they could have used as easier and safer weapons.

Also, how the hell did the worms reproduce that quickly from the one or two that could have gotten into Jim from the tiny wound in his cheek?

Fet tugging on his knapsack like a recalcitrant bra strap just made me love him all the more.

If Abraham's hat gets any bigger he's going to look like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.

Or Pharrell Williams.

Abe and Fet are fun to root for, but I don't really have a problem with Bread-truck guy's reaction or Nora and Eph's reaction about Jim. If some crazy shit went down like this, there'd be a lot more people who were bewildered and disbelieving and screwing up than kicking ass.

• Love 3

Team Fet, all day and every day.

YES! First thing I tweeted was how I hope they met up with Fet. Abe is too old to have to deal with the dumbness of Jim/Eph & Nora without somebody a bit more useful. I loved Fet being all "Tell me the rules." In fact if they could clone Fet those morons on The Walking Dead could use him too.  I hope net week Gus somehow makes it out of prison alive because his homie gonna be turning soon.

I either hid or rolled my eyes most of this episode.. I can do vampires but not zombie mobs. Eph and Nora are tiring. They should know by now what they're fighting and believe Abraham. Knew Jim was a goner as soon as he fell. 

Right now the only ones I like are Fet and Abraham. I hope Fet gets a silver sword. I would watch a show with just the two of them fighting the vampire nation.

• Love 2

Are credit cards at the gas pumps on a very different network than other credit card machines?  Because it seemed strange that they couldn't use their cards in the store but had no problem using it at the pump.  Not sure why they didn't just have Hassan manually authorize the pumps from inside.  

I actually really liked that Nora and Eph were torn about shooting Jim.  It felt very real.  It's already really difficult for the average person to raise arms against another and was only made easier because they were previously raising arms to those who were already turned.  it's something entirely different to turn a gun on someone you know who is still looking and acting very human.  Shit was real before, but it gets realer when it becomes so painfully obvious that there's nothing they can do to get in front of the spread of the virus.  

One thing that cracked me up was Ephraim's whole "he betrayed me" talk.  Dude is so egotistical.  All about Eph, even in the middle of a vampocalypse.  

• Love 5
Not sure why they didn't just have Hassan manually authorize the pumps from inside.

Hassan was keeping a check list of everything they took from the store. I doubt he was going to give up free gas.

• Love 3

Yay, Vasily has joined the gang!  And, as I had hope, he and Abraham together are pretty awesome!  Loved how, unlike everyone else, he was quick to accept Abraham was telling the truth, and just wanted the nitty-gritty details about how to kill the vamps.  All business, that Vasily is.  But, I think he's going to be a great addition to the core cast now.

I figured it was about time for one of the "regulars" to bite it, so as soon as he got that "scrape", I knew Jim was a goner.  I will miss Sean Astin, but he probably was the better choice.  I'm not sure how long they could push the "Jim wants to redeem himself" story, plus, with respect, Vasily is a big improvement from a fighting standpoint.  I'm glad Vasily had what it took to do the deed, but I don't fully blame Ephraim and Nora for their reaction.  I have to imagine it wouldn't be easy for anyone.  Still, I hope this is a big step towards them waking up, and accepting this new world now.  Noticed the premium bit at the gas pump, so I'm sure we're going to be getting plenty of Vasily and Eph disagreeing and annoying each other.

Curious about Dutch (I think that's hot hacker's name) also in the group, and I wonder how much involvement she's going to have. Will they figure out that her job with Stoneheart is playing a part in all of this?

Definitely one of the more fun episodes.  Admittedly, a bit more of a typical zombie fare; along the lines of The Walking Dead or whatnot; but I think it was about time to just have the group have to take on a bunch of vampire zombies.  But, again, I"m mainly happy that Vasily has finally gotten into the main story-line.

Yes, it was not smart of Nora and Eph regarding Jim but I completely understood and felt for them. It's one thing to put down already turned vamps that you don't know personally but another to shoot your friend in the face when he's still behaving and thinking normally. I'm glad Fet stepped up to do what they couldn't but I can't blame for Nora and Eph for reacting the way they did either. They knew deep down that he was a lost cause (Eph's talk about going to the hospital was just talk of desperation) but sometimes people take a while to stop being in denial. I think Eph finally got it though, when he killed that truck driver on the ground.

Aw, so sorry to see Samwise go. Sean Astin is always a good actor. But I'm glad he went out in a meaningful and impactful way.

Another great episode. This show has become a must-see TV.

• Love 2

Yes, it was not smart of Nora and Eph regarding Jim but I completely understood and felt for them. It's one thing to put down already turned vamps that you don't know personally [[but another to shoot your friend in the face when he's still behaving and thinking normally.]]

Am I forgetting a scene or were the Jim and bread truck driver "releases" were the first time we've seen any infected-but-not-yet-turned people killed? Eph, Nora and Jim were attacked by Redfern. Eph, Abe, and Nora were attacked by the French girl and her father. Ansel was in full attack mode when Abe and Eph dropped by the shed. It's another part of the characters' developmental trajectory. Fet is more of an Advanced Placement student.

• Love 1

YES! First thing I tweeted was how I hope they met up with Fet. Abe is too old to have to deal with the dumbness of Jim/Eph & Nora without somebody a bit more useful. I loved Fet being all "Tell me the rules." 

Clearly, Fet is one of the few people in their little group who has actually seen low brow vampire/zombie flicks.

In fairness if they were attacked by moments of surrealism (in French with subtitles) I'm sure Eph would be all over how to get through it without having an existential crisis. Everyone brings their strengths to the team :-)

• Love 3
Curious about Dutch (I think that's hot hacker's name) also in the group, and I wonder how much involvement she's going to have. Will they figure out that her job with Stoneheart is playing a part in all of this?

Her hacking skills could be a great asset. I wonder how many pieces SHE put together last night - did she hear Abe's line about Eichorst being a different caste of vampires? Does she realize why he wanted all the tech disruptions?

• Love 1
When Fet made his female coworker meet the sun.<br /><br />That was a release, she hadn't fully turned.

If I recall correctly, she was no longer lucid (her face pale, her eyes red and she was already doing that creepy growl). Much different how Jim was.

• Love 1

Great episode!  This is my favorite summer Show!

I loved Fet and his off handed comments.  The "I am waiting for authorization" to picking premium gas.  Nice touch with this character.  Please keep him in each episode as he is sorely needed by the "team".

I thought it was totally cool Hacker Chick's friend just took of running and actually got away.  How many movies do we see with vamps or zombies where someone does something like that and becomes vamp/zombie chow? 

Did the gas attendant guy make it?  I figured he is locked in that little room and if he stays quiet and hides the vampies would miss him in all the chaos.  Well, one can hope right?

• Love 1

Her hacking skills could be a great asset. I wonder how many pieces SHE put together last night - did she hear Abe's line about Eichorst being a different caste of vampires? Does she realize why he wanted all the tech disruptions?

In any case, it's great that we got an explanation of this. Eichorst is one of the Master's "chosen few" and has regained part of his former self (i.e. memories, personality, the power of speech). Now we know. I expect that's what Mr. Burns thinks will happen as well (even if he doesn't quite grasp all that entails).

And I have to admit I was surprised that with almost no foreshadowing, "Dutch" has joined the group. I would have thought her role would come later, in a different form. But by the end of the siege she finally seems to get what is going on, and likely understands what the consequences of her actions are.

Jim's cheek scratch was 100% clearly leading to his infection. Perhaps Sean Astin wanted limited participation in the series, although I'm sure it follows the plot from the "book". But they had brought him around to being a good guy again at this point, so he wasn't going to get the "villain who tries to abandon the group but dies alone at the hands of the monster" treatment, à la Burke in Aliens. And they also avoided the cliché of him going out in a big moment of self-sacrifice. So, colour me impressed, show!

• Love 1

Hassan was keeping a check list of everything they took from the store. I doubt he was going to give up free gas.

Except they paid for the gas.  With a credit card.  That's why I asked if credit card machines at the gas pump operated on a different network than the ones inside the store.  Because if not, then the entire plot with Hassan taking note of everything they took was pointless when they could have just left him the credit card and/or had him authorize X amount manually before they headed out.  I don't know if the two credit machines operate on the same network but in my experience, when one is down, they are both down.  However, my experience has been a network disruption due to storms or a random area outage rather than due to hacking.

Besides all that, Vasily paid for the things they took with a winning scratch off.  Surely the gas could have been included in that bill.  

• Love 1

The phones and internet were slowed down and service was erratic and unreliable. This night was much worse than previously. I think even the characters weren't completely certain the card would get authorization at the pump. It was another plot-driven coincidence like meeting up with Fet and Dutch.

The phones and internet were slowed down and service was erratic and unreliable. This night was much worse than previously. I think even the characters weren't completely certain the card would get authorization at the pump. It was another plot-driven coincidence like meeting up with Fet and Dutch.

I agree that it was mostly plot and a chance to be funny.... but also, the gas station lost power, so it's possible that the pumps themselves were on a separate grid/network- like how after the gas station is closed for the night the pumps are still lit up and you can get gas as long as you pay with a card...

but with the power out inside, he may not have been able to authorize anything to the pumps.

And though he couldn't get Jim's card to work (which at one point I thought was going to be a 'the CDC froze your accounts' or something) but he was saying that the system was slow, so I was thinking more of an intermittent interruption and they got really lucky that the card went through at the gas pump.

Jim's cheek scratch was 100% clearly leading to his infection. Perhaps Sean Astin wanted limited participation in the series, although I'm sure it follows the plot from the "book". But they had brought him around to being a good guy again at this point, so he wasn't going to get the "villain who tries to abandon the group but dies alone at the hands of the monster" treatment, à la Burke in Aliens. And they also avoided the cliché of him going out in a big moment of self-sacrifice. So, colour me impressed, show!

I was fully expecting Jim to offer to create a diversion and die during the sacrifice. So I, too, was glad it wasn't so predictable.

Ephraim and Dr. Nora still don’t get it. I fully understand their instinct to want to save Samwise with treatment. However, with the city nearing chaos, did they really think they’d be able to get to a hospital that is not overrun with "sick" people, and have the time to develop a successful treatment plan that would save their friend?

I think they get it.  It made sense to try the quick surgery.  They just didn't realize how quickly it spread.  Which is a good thing for them to learn, presuming part of their goal will be to find a cure/treatment option.  I also don't think the city is that bad off quite yet.  All of the zombies were sent after them so I'm not sure how bad off the rest of the city is.  Besides, they thought that they had removed the parasite and just needed some proper stitching using proper supplies.

The part that is hard for me to buy, was that there were hundreds of worms in Jim.  But they only saw one the whole time through the surgery?  That's seems unbelievable.

Still, I enjoyed the episode. I personally like the character moments but this was good timing for an action packed walking dead battle to the end.  And I thought that the battle was overall well done.

I think they get it.  It made sense to try the quick surgery.  They just didn't realize how quickly it spread.  Which is a good thing for them to learn, presuming part of their goal will be to find a cure/treatment option.  I also don't think the city is that bad off quite yet.  All of the zombies were sent after them so I'm not sure how bad off the rest of the city is.  Besides, they thought that they had removed the parasite and just needed some proper stitching using proper supplies.

The part that is hard for me to buy, was that there were hundreds of worms in Jim.  But they only saw one the whole time through the surgery?  That's seems unbelievable.

I watched the rebroadcast right after and I remember thinking that there was a worm visible up toward his hairline not long before they pulled the one worm out. That might have been meant to be the same worm but maybe not.

Don't forget that the earlier autopsy of the pilot revealed dramatic changes to the organs in the trunk of the body. The internal changes happen first so the vast majority of worms concentrating on the midsection with a few in the head works.

• Love 2

Without a doubt, this was the best episode of the season. The show is really hitting its stride.

I love the coming together of the team. At this point, based on the characters we have seen thus far, we just need Gus.

I knew the blonde hacker was to going to die because they made that point of reminding us who she was, this means she will be of he to the team at some future point. Surprised that her friend got away, but I think it was a plot point to demonstrate that they were not under some random attack; they were targeted.

Too bad Jim had to die, but I knew the minute they kept focusing on him in the bathroom was to let us know what was coming. I like Sean Astin, so I would have preferred the demise of the annoying Nora, but as someone else pointed out upthread, Jim's character probably died in the book and since the show runners are the book creators, I assume Jim died in text as well.

There is nothing more I can say about the awesome that is Fet. I too loved his moment of might as well get the best gas possible.

Can't wait for next week.

Edited by Happytobehere
Loved how, unlike everyone else, he was quick to accept Abraham was telling the truth, and just wanted the nitty-gritty details about how to kill the vamps.  All business, that Vasily is.

He did have the advantage of having survived encounters with the vampires on his own beforehand. Of course, if I'm in a convenience store under attack by refugees from Blade II and one person is calmly beheading them while everyone else panics, I know who I'm directing any questions to.

• Love 6

This show started off very slow, but now I'm loving it. The episodes are tense, people act dumb but at least its because of panic or another emotion and not just because they have to for the sake of the plot and Vasily and Abraham are in the same place! 

I love Vasily. Maybe he's too accepting of the new world, but its nice to have a character who gets stuff done. If I was facing something like this I'd like to think I'd act like Vasily. I'd actually probably act like Nora, but one can hope. 

I'm sad to see Jim go. The betrayal stuff was whatever and I thought Sean Astin played the moment where he realized that he needed to die really well. I still think the actors are better than the material, but he nailed that moment and the writing kept things subtle so he could have that moment. 

I love this show and it keeps getting better. The only thing I hated was the coincidental meeting up with hot hacker chick. I hate when shows do that. In the case of meeting up with Fett I could see it because the medical facility had uv

lamps which both parties who knew about that weakness clued in on.

A random gas station in Brooklyn though. They just happen upon Dutch? Lol.

LATER, he sets about putting the wheels from the car with no engine on the car that HAS an engine. WTF?

That is what I gathered. It only makes sense if the car with no engine was the one that had the wheels. Right?

I've never read the books so I really never thought the gang would ever meet up with Dutch. A bit convenient that they meet both her and Fet the same evening.

All hail Fet and his rebar rod. Special shout to the nail gun from Home Depot.

No doubt in my mind Fet is MVP second to only Abe. I love that Fet just ain't the one. So sweet how tentatively Abe seemed to be interviewing Fet upon first intro and how disappointed he was when Fet told him he worked alone. Abe would have probably gift wrapped and mailed those 2 doubting Thomases off to the Master himself for 1 Fet when the doctors were arguing over trying to save their friend. 

I did scratch my head a bit at Abe. Funny how it wasn't a good idea to make a run for it until it was - i.e., it was raining fucking vampires on their heads. He knew there were more on the way yet I never saw him trying to think of a plan. It took a techno genius to think about putting wheels on the car with the engine. 

I did like the idea that there was vampire caste system and Eichorst was on the top of it below the Master. I kinda surmised last week that the Master probably gifted high functioning vampirism only on those he deems necessary and extremely useful in his schemes.  Also interesting that the newly turned will probably evolve more but not to the level of Eichorst. So it is looking like the weirdo vamp avengers from last week probably are vampires - they are likely guerilla renegades who broke off from the master. I just wonder how they severed the Master's ability to see through them. 

I am assuming Hassan, the convenience store clerk, likely was killed by the vamps or died in the explosion or maybe a little from Column A and B. 

Edited by islandgal140

I'm still feeling really terrible for Hassan.  He was doomed either way and it was so clear that they were never going to convince him of anything because he was so intent on holding onto as much normalcy as possible.  I'd like to think that bullet proof glass would protect him if the blast didn't damage the store, but the vamps were in the ceiling so they would have easily gotten to him.

On the one hand, I think the explosion probably got Hassan. On the other hand, since the vamps weren't targeting him, it's possible whichever ones were left after the explosion just left him alone if he survived that. Who knows if we'll see him again with this crazy show.

• Love 1

I'm glad I stuck w/this show after initially thinking it wasn't worth my time (the first two eps almost did me in w/their slow pace). Now that the Scooby Gang is getting together and the vampocalypse is underway, things are a bit more interesting. ;)

I don't watch Walking Dead, so I got a vibe of Stephen King's "The Mist" from this ep.

Vasiliy is an exterminator and vamps are kind of like really big rats, so he's just doing his job. :) Killing is his business and business is good. lol

Sean Astin/Jim has been my least favorite thing about the show, so I'm glad Vasiliy popped him while everyone else was arguing about what to do. I do understand that Eph and Nora's jobs revolved around trying to save lives, so I'm not shocked that they had so much trouble dealing w/Jim's infection/death. I hope that Eph's act of mercy w/the bread truck dude means that he finally understands that saving the world is more important than saving the infected at this point in time.

Count me among those who were pleasantly surprised to see the hacker chick's friend leave unscathed and Jim killed before he could sacrifice himself as a diversion to allow the others to get away. I hope the show continues to avoid obvious choices like that. OTOH, I couldn't care less about the hacker chick and thought it was too coincidental for them to meet up in that store, but maybe she'll get a chance to redeem herself in some way for what she's done.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who recognized Rick Baker! :) Naturally, he got attacked; fx guys love to bite it (literally) dramatically on screen. XD

Where was SWAT vamp (Quinlan) this week? I was looking forward to more of him and his vigilante group. *pout*

These guys need to raid a Ren faire and get some more swords. :D

• Love 1

Mr. Fet at one point says there is one with no engine, one with no wheels. LATER, he sets about putting the wheels from the car with no engine on the car that HAS an engine. WTF?

And it would have worked to if someone had thought of it sooner. Also what took them so long to think of Molotov cocktails?