Type keyword(s) to search

Melrose Place (1992) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought it was a decent tv movie.  One thing I did find a little strange was since they treated the aborted gay kiss as such a big plot point, there was no mention that Darren himself was gay.  It's not like it's a secret.    

This movie is a hoot so far. Matt looks like Matt. Jane looks like Jane. Some Canadian guy was first cast as Billy, but he got fat and got fired before the first episode was finished. I forgot all about the southern chick from season one.

They forgot about her in the movie too. I don't even remember then addressing her exit in the movie. She had a scene and then dunzo.

And really, we had a whole subplot about Leighton's business manager? Come on

So, they got the fattest, shortest and ugliest guy to play gay Matt. Man! Doug Savant can't catch a break. LOL!!! The Jake guy had great abs but isn't as good looking as Grant Show. I thought the Allison, Sydney & Jo actresses were really pretty and they belong on a daytime soap now. The actress playing Jane was pretty but not as beautiful as Josie Bissett. All I all, not a bad stupid movie from Lifetime on a Saturday night. The only quibble I had was the above ground pool. I guess they couldn't build a permanent inground pool for a two hour movie. I also found it odd they didn't mention Darren Starr being gay but I guess it was germain to the plot of the movie.

Edited by ByaNose
They forgot about her in the movie too. I don't even remember then addressing her exit in the movie. She had a scene and then dunzo.

I think they actually did mention that her character wasn't working, so they were getting rid of her.  I don't think the actress got a specific exit scene like Vanessa Williams did. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I loved it. I don't think the cast "looked" like the cast members but I thought they had the spirit of them. I didn't know that Daphne Zuniga was friends with Darren Star. At the time I thought she was brought in to get some movie start power on the show. The movie was a bit odd though. No mention at all of Kirsten Davis? The agent subplot... Darren's freaking out about the explosion and no mention of him being gay. I laughed myself silly after Darren is like, just write whatever... and there is a montage of the writers coming up with bigger and more insane things. I swear that was the fun of the show.

This is the show that got me through Monday for many years. I really looked forward to it. Laura Leighton played crazy really well, I never would have guessed this was one of her first jobs. The TV movie was hilariously low budget.

• Love 1

Kimberly showing up on the beach after the accident and then the wig removal were EPIC. This show was on fire and Season 2-5 were awesome. After that, they would bring one new cast member who really clicked but the show overall wasn't that good anymore. IMO!

I thought the TV movie really captured how insanely popular it was. I remember the E channel doing a big special on it and showing all of the viewing parties. I was way too old for them at that time but I do recall how popular they were. Monday's were indeed a bitch! LOL!!!

• Love 1

The Melrose movie was the best of the Unauthorized series so far. A low bar, but hey... I liked the Aaron-Darren dynamic, it framed the story nicely though some probably just wanted to see more backstage bed-hopping. The special after the movie reveals the dating situation was far more...active than the "Unauthorized" version. What's with Lifetime playing it safe when they don't have to? Such teases...

It's funny how 1990's Lifetime movies seemed much more scandalous than the ones they put out now. Anyway, in this article, they talk about that...they want these to be love-letters to the fans, not searing exposes. The Unauthorized stories that ABC did back at the turn-of-the-century were far, far meaner.

I think these last two have been better because I got the feeling that the writers actually watched the shows, especially in this one. Let's be honest- you had writers in their 40's who had probably never watched Saved by the Bell or Full House because they were probably too old for that, but they were the right age for Melrose and 90210. I thought they were actually really good at referencing with the show, like showing Sydney in a soaking wet wedding dress, within the limits they had.

I thought it was kind of hilarious that Vanessa basically treated Doug like he was her gay sidekick in real life. Also, that Jane was intended to be the moral compass. And it's fun to remember again that Josie was only 22 when she started the  show. I kind of wonder if that's why they had her wear shot hair and drabby clothes- to try and make her seem older.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

This show is my new EVERYTHING!!!! And it premiered on my birthday -- the best present ever!

1. The clothes! Mom jeans and babydoll dresses!
  2. The clunkiest clunker shoes -- even with business suits!
  3. The "we've made it!" montage against a cover of CeCe Peniston's "Finally!"
  4. Aaron's thought bubbles when he was being pitched the show!
  5. The dude that played Tommy Lee!
  6. A Billy Ray Cyrus reference that wasn't a joke!
  7. Coffee! So much freaking coffee!

I can't even! It's too REAL! 

Bless Melrose Place. That beautiful post-college time when we all thought that we'd, OF COURSE, be photographers and fashion designers and business moguls all by the age of 24 and live in fun, sexy apartment buildings while we watched the show from our parents' house. 

This has triggered the epic MP rematch of all rewatches. Winter, I'm ready for you!

• Love 2

Personally, I really liked the beginning of this reboot.  The flashbacks to Sydney being queen bitch reigning over the new residents of melrose place were a major highlight and the dark film-noir mystery about her second death was fucking amazing.  What I hated was the mid-season retooling of the show to accommodate a very boring, tired-looking Amanda who should be in jail.  They gave the murder mystery a banal ending, and killed the dark drama by getting rid of a lot of the characters and becoming a more episodic show. 

Also, yes it was originally supposed to be Amanda in the pool (which might have been satisfying) but I can't really see her attracting these young men the way Sydney (her, Jane, and Jo still looked amazing) did, or acting as a mentor/role model to anyone.  Maybe if Sydney was alive (and her faked death had a better reason, i.e. that cult who said they would come back for her finally did!  Maybe it took her years to escape again and that's why she became so messed up!) and she was one of the main suspects for killing Amanda in the pool, this could have been better.  Michael's wife should have been someone from the original series too, not just some random rich lady. I also didn't like the more episodic feeling that especially the last half of the season had.  But I found a lot more to like then most people did, and that's fine.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1

I'm really glad I found this and all your posts. I was trying to decide whether or not is worth watching on demand and now I'm going to check it out!

I loved Melrose Place. I was pretty young compared to the typical viewer in middle school but loved it. My favorite characters were Sydney, Michael, Brooke, Peter, Kimberley- in that order. I didn't like Amanda.

I was so pissed of when they killed Sydney.

I'm really surprised the showrunners didn't bring back Rhonda in a later season when they were desperate to introduce new characters with complex histories and motivations. She barely made an impression in the first season but anything could have happened to her in the intervening years, setting her up for an interesting return later on down the road as a potential villain or vixen or victim or power player.

As much as Heather Locklear got the credit for saving the show, Melrose Place would be nothing without Marcia Cross. Kimberly was by far the most interesting character on the show and it still bugs me to this day how they botched her last season. They didn't even let her die in Michael's arms? Talk about brutal! Her pleading for him on that driveway (while his prostitute/soon to be new wife stood by!) was absolutely gut-wrenching.

I'm also pretty sad she and the doctor never had much of a relationship when all was said and done. He was also deliciously dark and the two actors certainly had chemistry.

As much as I enjoyed slimy Michael, I really think it was unfair to treat him like the show's hero in the end by giving him exactly what he wanted, leaving a big old mess of broken hearts along the way.

And don't even get me started about how much airtime Jane got long after she'd outlived her usefulness. Sydney had the prop her up in that whole murder storyline...and she kept on coming back, even in the reboot! Why? Was she really anyone's favorite character?

I think of all the things I would have wanted to see in the finale, Jo and Jake together was probably number one. They had great chemistry and were believable as somewhat successful/somewhat lost 90's adults.

I couldn't stand Allison and Billy by the time they both started to make their exits. Courtney Thorne really bounced back in Ally McBeal! I loved her there...

So, how was this behind the scenes Lifetime movie?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3

Could someone please tell me that they went through the trouble of explaining Kimberly's bizarre multiple personality disorder and I just missed it somehow?

Because I'm pretty sure they glossed over it the second she escaped the mental hospital after trying to give Peter a lobotomy.

All of their first round of female additions (Daphne Zuniga, Heather Locklear, Laura Leighton, and Marcia Cross) made it a better show than it had been when it started. But I think Cross doesn't get as much credit as Locklear does because pre-car-accident Kimberly was definitely not a character anybody was buzzing about. I mean, she was Michael's mistress, so if you were rooting for Michael and Jane to make their marriage work, you didn't like her, but she wasn't a character anybody loved or hated. Marcia Cross was good in the role, but a lot of women could have done what she did in the first season and the early second. It didn't seem like a star-making part.

By the time she returned from the dead and was staring through that beach house window, and then later taking the wig off, the show had been appointment television for a while.

I've always said that the downfall of the show was when Darren Star went off to do Central Park West for CBS at the end of the third season. The tone and pacing were off in the fourth season, but at least there were still all the familiar faces, so there was hope. Then the actors started defecting, and we were getting one really good new character for every four who were a big shrug, and the writing was on the wall. Also, the writers of the later seasons didn't value history enough. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1

I've always said that the downfall of the show was when Darren Star went off to do Central Park West for CBS at the end of the third season. The tone and pacing were off in the fourth season, but at least there were still all the familiar faces, so there was hope. Then the actors started defecting, and we were getting one really good new character for every four who were a big shrug, and the writing was on the wall. Also, the writers of the later seasons didn't value history enough.

Pretty much nailed it. Season 4 starts out strong, drags out in the middle, and actually ends somewhat strong. Season 5 is when the decline really becomes noticeable, as the the cast departures hit all time high...I think that season we lost Jane, Kimberly, Jake, Alison, and Sydney.

And even with season 4 starting out strong, there were still some questionable decisions (Amanda's retconned mob-wife history, getting Jake and Jo back together only to break them up 5 minutes later).

One of Amanda's best verbal bitch slaps to Alison:

Amanda: My first instinct was to fire you as well. But on reflection, I realized that was way too easy. No, Alison, I'm going to do to you the way you did me. And when I'm done, all that you'll be left with is that proverbial wish that you'd never been born!

Some other good quotes:

Amanda: What can I say, when God was passing out business sense, Jane was in the back of the line getting her nails done.

Brooke: Maybe it's time for us to bury the hatchet.

Alison: Gee, you'd have to pull it out of my back first.

Michael: Can't we be friends? I know a lot of bad things have happened, but that's just water under the bridge now.
Jane: So much water there's not much of a bridge left, Michael.

Billy: Can't you just ease up on [Alison], she's doing the best she can.
Amanda: I know, that's what worries me.

Jake (to Michael): You may not be God's gift, but you sure are God's revenge on women.

Chris (to Sydney): And to think that I thought all your charity was given from the waist down.

Alison: The truth is I'm better on two vodkas than you are at your best.
Amanda: Tell that to the next poor kid you run over!

Sydney: You ruined Grandma's dress!
Jane: On the contrary, Syd. It's now tailor-made for the bride of Frankenstein.

• Love 1

Michael: It's this building... it makes people nuts. It must be something in the water, something to do with the pool. Come to think of it, I was normal when I moved in.

Michael: I cheat with doctors, you cheat with whores.

Amanda: Is your memory that selective or are you just suffering from some grand delusion?

I think my favorite characters introduction episode is Season 3's "The Cook, the Creep, His Lover and Her Sister" when Amanda and Peter meet for the first time. Heather and Jack had such great chemistry. It's a bummer that they didn't work out in real life.

• Love 1

This along with Dallas and 90210 were unfortunate cash in's and you could tell the writers didn't know what shows they were writing for. I hate a Melrose reboot was wasted on this. The plan to kill Amanda which turned into Sydney was incredibly stupid no matter which character you put there. So many little things had they known the history of the show, could've improved things. Even without Jake there his son could still have remained. Another option would've been to put Taylor in that role and turn Jake's son into Michael and Taylor's son she disappeared with. Sydney could've been useful alive. The new cast was mostly dull and the writing had none of the humor or twists of the original. 

I'd love one day for an adult reboot with a mix of the old cast and some newbies, but maybe not set at the complex which they would've outgrown. I'd even be down for a complex set direct reboot, but for the most part I'd leave the old characters out of it. They're simply too old for it to make sense.

• Love 2

Is this the place to chat about the MP podcasts? Or in the 90210 forum?

The picture of Kelly's "cat butt" face to Jake in the visual aids must be the exact moment Kelly morphed from cool Kelly to bitch Kelly.

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 3:08 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Is anyone else going to follow the podcast?

Yes! Glad to find this forum so I can talk to others who are listening to the wit and wisdom of @Tara Ariano and @Sarah D. Bunting. This is gonna be fun.

Here is the page on the Again With This website where you can find the visual aids for this episode of the podcast.

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

BH:90210 was my show back in the day, and I think I watched a few episodes of Melrose, but I have zero memory of it, so I'm watching it for the first time now.

My initial thoughts after three episodes: 

I love Jane's perfect 90s haircut, but man, she is such a pathetic drip. The toe-kissing in the first episode was legit one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on TV.

Sandy's accent is insufferable. Thank god the actress left the show early (though I'm really curious about why). 

I liked seeing the return of cool Kelly, but girl, take a fucking hint, this is embarrassing. 

Jake is Dylan 2.0, complete with performatively fixing his motorcycle in the front "yard" (at least he's wearing shoes, though). It kind of explains why Kelly would move right on to Dylan.

Billy is really dopey but I'm finding him strangely endearing.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, atlanticslide said:

Sandy's accent is insufferable. Thank god the actress left the show early (though I'm really curious about why). 

I think she was let go, and they brought in Daphne Zuniga (Jo) and Heather Locklear.

I mean, I guess we have to give Darren Starr a modicum of credit that he was like, "Hey, why not have a POC and a gay character in our show about twenty-somethings in 1992!", even if Rhonda flames out by the end of the season and Matt's always on the second tier.

I had completely forgotten Steve crossed over too, I remembered it as just being Kelly, Donna, and David.

Not much else to say, this one's kinda boring.  I guess our first landmark is getting to Jo and she's still twelve episodes away, I think.

• Love 3
(edited)

I felt like I needed to watch a couple episodes to remember all the characters for the podcast, and MAN the fashion is awesome!  I am particularly impressed by Vanessa Williams workout gear - wrestling singlet with houndstooth belly shirt WITH A WIDE LEATHER BELT.  Ah, 1992, I love you so.

xx.PNG

Edited by TrixieBelden
  • Love 6

Having completely forgotten that the pilot had different credits, I really need Tara and Sarah to do a deep dive on the classic ones this week (Jake shirtless in front of the fridge!  Billy doofily strolling down the street!  The tinkly opening notes that will prelude inappropriate slams into the credits!).

Edited by TeeVee329
  • LOL 1

Man, I don't remember the first season of this being so damn boring.  Then again, I was only in 6th grade when it premiered, so it must of all seemed exciting cause I didn't know any better.  What episode does it actually start to act like a soap?

14 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Man, I don't remember the first season of this being so damn boring.  Then again, I was only in 6th grade when it premiered, so it must of all seemed exciting cause I didn't know any better.  What episode does it actually start to act like a soap?

I think it takes until halfway through the season when Michael starts hooking up with Kimberly at the hospital, and when Amanda shows up.

• Love 1

Uh, why is season one 32-fracken episodes?!?!?!  I thought I was half-way through this crapfest and closer to the good stuff.  I'm on episode 14 now and it's still so boring.  They finally got rid of the blonde who couldn't keep her accents straight though.  

I forgot that the Kelly- Jake thing lasted for more than one episode.  When she tells Dylan how she "really embarrassed herself with Jake" she wasn't kidding.  Even back then, $1000 bail is crazy for someone who keeps telling you that he only wants to be friends.  I know it was illegal, but that type of devotion really should have been meant for a teenage girl who was in a relationship with a grown-ass man. 

This humiliation does give some more depth as to why Kelly and Dylan both hooked up.  I can see why Kelly felt vulnerable and having her crush validate her was probably more than she could stop. 

• Love 3
On 4/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, meggonzo said:

I think she was let go, and they brought in Daphne Zuniga (Jo) and Heather Locklear.

One of the few season 1 things I distinctly remember is Sandy having to get topless for some low budget horror movie and having a Coco from “Fame”-type experience. Pretty sure she was in a jungle or surrounded by plants a la Poison Ivy. 

I always liked Amy Locane from Crybaby and School Ties, and wondered what happened to her, and then she popped up again 5-10 years ago for a drunk driving case.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

I forgot that the Kelly- Jake thing lasted for more than one episode.  When she tells Dylan how she "really embarrassed herself with Jake" she wasn't kidding.  Even back then, $1000 bail is crazy for someone who keeps telling you that he only wants to be friends.  I know it was illegal, but that type of devotion really should have been meant for a teenage girl who was in a relationship with a grown-ass man. 

This humiliation does give some more depth as to why Kelly and Dylan both hooked up.  I can see why Kelly felt vulnerable and having her crush validate her was probably more than she could stop. 

This is my first time watching Melrose Place so I had never thought of that before, but it makes sense. 

• Love 1