Type keyword(s) to search

Remington Steele Past Seasons/All Episodes Chat...

And I never did like that Remington's real name was...apparently...Harry. Don't ask me why.

I always liked to think it was an ode to the very first time Laura tried to think of something to call him when they were alone. He suggested either if the two names Remington or Steele and he did something and Laura told him something like, "at that moment, he looked like a Harry."

I always liked to think it was an ode to the very first time Laura tried to think of something to call him when they were alone. He suggested either if the two names Remington or Steele and he did something and Laura told him something like, "at that moment, he looked like a Harry."

Yeah, I've thought of that too.  I guess my problem is that most of the time he doesn't look like a Harry.  Plus, years of Chamers calling him Harry kind of overshadowed that intimate moment in season one. 

In the end, the show really didn't reveal his name so I guess we all can be right whatever we choose.  ;)

In the end, the show really didn't reveal his name so I guess we all can be right whatever we choose.  ;)

True, but...and I hate to burst bubbles, considering Daniel was the one calling Steele Harry and also knew he was Steele's father, I'm guessing he knew that Harry was his kid's name, even if Steele wasn't privy. Know what I'm saying?

Still, yeah, things were ambivalent enough to change that in our minds if we so chose.  ;-)

Chalmers originally said that  when he first met "Steele" he came with a whole boat load of names and he just picked one of the ones he was using so the chances that Chalmers knew Steele's real name and that Steele was accidently using his real name when he didn't even know his own name seems to me pretty slim.   

Of course it could have been that Chalmers was lying to Laura but why lie about something that Laura could have actually brought up to Steele and have him dispute? 

Whenever he pulled out the cockney accent, yeah, he looked like a Harry. 

Names are so funny.  If Chalmers hadn't ruined it for me, I probably would be able to see Steele as Harry but Harry was Chalmers' creation, his attempt to pass on his knowledge and mold "Harry" into his likeness, but that is not the man he turned out to be so I can't reconcile Harry with Steele,   He's better than Harry. 

The funny thing about my little protest here is that my personal cannon (aka the story I made up in my head to tie up things left unfinished) includes Chamers having mailed a revised birth certificate to the Agency office before his death.  In my head the name on the certificate is Remington Harrison Steele, which would have been Chamers' acknowledgement that yes, he had a hand in creating the man, but he was so much more. 

I'm very adamant about the Harrison.  I'm ok with letting people make up their own minds about Harry or not, but if they ever call him Harold, I'm coming after them.  :P

Edited by BkWurm1

Chalmers originally said that  when he first met "Steele" he came with a whole boat load of names and he just picked one of the ones he was using so the chances that Chalmers knew Steele's real name and that Steele was accidently using his real name when he didn't even know his own name seems to me pretty slim.

Yep, Daniel called him Harry all the time because that's what Steele happened to be calling himself at the time they met. 

I love that we never found out his real name.  By then, it didn't matter; he was Remington Steele.

• Love 2

So Kelly Clarkson had her baby recently, a boy. And named him...Remington!  :-)  I'd wonder if she was a fan of Remington Steele, but considering she was born the same year the show debuted, I'm guessing it is just a coincidence.

• Love 1

Apparently, there is a trend in certain circles of naming children Remington after the gun. 

I'm going to go with the "If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything" mantra on that one.

But bringing it back to the show, has Gleason or Butler ever said whether they came up with the name based on a typewriter and a football team, or whether they came up with it some other way and later came up with the backstory for how Laura dreamed up the name?  (I love the idea of her sitting around one weekend, wondering what she's going to name this fictitious figurehead, looking at the typewriter she's using for paperwork and then at the Steelers playing on TV and thinking, "A-ha!")

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Apparently, there is a trend in certain circles of naming children Remington after the gun. 

I'm going to go with the "If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything" mantra on that one.

But bringing it back to the show, has Gleason or Butler ever said whether they came up with the name based on a typewriter and a football team, or whether they came up with it some other way and later came up with the backstory for how Laura dreamed up the name?  (I love the idea of her sitting around one weekend, wondering what she's going to name this fictitious figurehead, looking at the typewriter she's using for paperwork and then at the Steelers playing on TV and thinking, "A-ha!")

I thought Gleason mentioned in the season one interviews, that it was the typewriter? Butler, I think, only talked about the casting? location? I can't recall. Gleason did most of the interviews.

(edited)

I don't know why this discussion on naming people Remington got me thinking about it for the first time after all these years, but it did.  Bob Butler came up with the original concept, and Michael Gleason was brought in to flesh it out; Gleason is the one who said it needed to be a two-person show, where we see someone pretending to be the fictitious boss (Butler's concept just had Laura maintaining the illusion of a superior while solving cases).  So I don't know if the pitched series was even initially titled after that fictitious figurehead, or if that evolved as the concept did.

Laura's "it's from a typewriter and a football team" explanation for the strange name appeared in what was originally the pilot (but aired second, as we all know), so they came up with that background early on.  I'm just wondering if Laura's story mirrors how Butler and/or Gleason came up with the name Remington Steele when inventing this character, or if they hit upon it in some other way and just came up with the Remington typewriter/Pittsburgh Steelers story for the script.

Either way, as I said, I think the story works for Laura and makes me grin - even though I think it's a rather ridiculous name, so does she, but the story of how it came to her makes it all better.  I still have no idea what she calls him in bed, though.  Mr. Steele is just odd, but Remington is quite the awkward mouthful.  And a big, fat no to Harry.  That's no more - in fact, less - his name than Remington, and while it rolls off the tongue better, it doesn't suit him, nor is it how she's thought of him.  They need something that works as an inside personal thing, but damned if I know what it is.

(Am I really thinking about what one fictional character calls another in the throes of passion 30 years after the fact?!  Maybe one too many margaritas for Cinco de Mayo.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

And a big, fat no to Harry.  That's no more - in fact, less - his name than Remington, and while it rolls off the tongue better, it doesn't suit him

See, I thought "Harry" did suit Steele. And I wish Daniel hadn't bought the farm before Steele learned his real name. I somehow wonder if Harry was part of it what with Daniel knowing he was Steele's father.

But Daniel didn't know Steele was his son when they met up, when Steele just happened to be calling himself Harry at the time, so why would that coincidence lend more credence to that name than any other?  If Daniel had initiated the name, and after he'd figured out Mr. Steele was his son, that would be one thing -- but, even then, didn't the mom who'd have named him do so while Daniel was in prison, unaware there even was a child (I've not watched season five since it aired, so I'm working on hideously vague memories) -- but it was the name young Steele happened to have been using at the time, right?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(I've not watched season five since it aired, so I'm working on hideously vague memories) -- but it was the name young Steele happened to have been using at the time, right?

Yeah, it was. So, at any rate, even if it wasn't Steele's "given" name, he had used it for a good chunk of his life!

(Am I really thinking about what one fictional character calls another in the throes of passion 30 years after the fact?!  Maybe one too many margaritas for Cinco de Mayo.)

Ha, ha.  I make no excuses.  It is a very important.question that deserves to be considered in stone cold sobriety.  ;) 

I still have no idea what she calls him in bed, though.  Mr. Steele is just odd, but Remington is quite the awkward mouthful.  And a big, fat no to Harry.  That's no more - in fact, less - his name than Remington, and while it rolls off the tongue better, it doesn't suit him, nor is it how she's thought of him.  They need something that works as an inside personal thing, but damned if I know what it is.

I spent a very long time thinking about this and in the last few years I've made my peace that however awkward Remington may initially feel, Remington is the only answer to the question.  Let me expound on why I've come to this conclusion.   

Harry doesn't work because it was just another name in a long list of names.  It may have been the one that Chamers knew him by, but our Mr. Steele wasn't that man anymore.  Harry was part of the old persona, the life he'd left behind when he chose Laura and the agency.  Harry and Michael and any of his old names he wore were masks he easily slipped on and off because one was as good as any other when he didn't have any connection to a "real" name. 

We were told that when he was young, those around him were constantly changing his name to suit their needs and desires.  My head canon says that while he was still pretty young he discovered the name he thought was his didn't belong to him.  In the show it's even said that the reason he never would tell her his real name is because he didn't know it.  It makes him not telling her pretty important.  He could have fobbed any number of names off on her but he only wanted to hear Laura use something he alone could lay claim to.   

Now, it's hard to believe that he couldn't track down a birth name (I mean, hello, detective agency) but would he feel any more connection to whatever name he might dig up thirty some years after the fact?  I don't think so.   And that's what is needed in whatever name Laura would use in the bedroom, something that tells him she knows the real him. 

Obviously Remington Steele is a made up name, but it's IMO still his alone to lay claim to and his to finally become the most real name he's ever had.  But that authenticity in belonging to him took time.  He was still playing a part early on, but I think by the end of the series, Remington Steele was a name that belonged to him more than any one name that came before.  I think it's who he wanted to be.  It's IMO the name he would want Laura to see as his real name.

Still, five years in and she's almost never called him Remington and it's a rather formal sounding name, but the one thing way worse than Remington is any kind of abbreviation.  Remi is what the floozies called him.  That name is soooooo off the table.  Just a huge hell no to shortening it.  In the end, I don't think it's needed anyway. 

With them being publicly seen as husband and wife, Laura is going to have to get used to calling him Remington.  Mr. Steele might work still in the office environment and for a while in the privacy of just the two of them, but anytime they are with anyone else, she can't call him anything but the name by which he is known by.  She could use an endearment in it's place but that would merely be a source of awkwardness since he'd know she was avoiding using any given name.   

In my head, at first Laura would continue to use Mr. Steele in private but not during pillow talk 'cause I think she would take issue with the subservient sound of that.  So I think initially the solution would be to not use any name at all.  Stick with a "hey" or some other attention request segue if words are required, BUT as time goes on and they become more settled into the marriage as their reality, the more Remington will flow naturally off of Laura's tongue.  Which IMO is as it should be because Remington Steele has become his real name.  

I imagine one day she would find them alone together and she would address him as Remington because that's just who he is to her now.  I also imagine that the first time it happens, he would be moved that she thinks of him that way because Remington Steele was created to embody all the qualities that Laura imagined in her ideal man. 

She early on said he made an excellent Mr. Steele, but for her to one day think of him as the whole man, both the public and the private, both the professional and the personal, all of him as Remington Steele is kind of a big deal because he isn't putting on a mask with her.  Her thinking of him as that dream man she loves even with her eyes wide open to all his faults and flaws would be very meaningful to him.  I think Laura seeing him as that man would make the name even more real to him than it already had become.  

So yeah, I think not too long into their marriage - probably when they both finally admit that based on a con or not their commitment to each other is very real, yeah, I think around that time the name she would whisper across the pillows, loving the sound of each syllable, could only be Remington.  

Not that I've spent too much time pondering this.  :P  ;D

• Love 2
(edited)

Ugh, definitely too many margaritas for Cinco de Mayo.

So yeah, I think not too long into their marriage - probably when they both finally admit that based on a con or not their commitment to each other is very real, yeah, I think around that time the name she would whisper across the pillows, loving the sound of each syllable, could only be Remington.  

I agree Remington makes sense as what she winds up calling him; he has no "real" name in the traditional sense, but he is Remington Steele.  It's the identity he's stuck with the longest (and one he intends to continue with), certainly the one that means the most to him, and it's who he is to her.

I just hate the name Remington - and think it's an especially awful name to have to call out during sexy times - so while it makes sense she'd transition from Mr. Steele to Remington, I'm glad I don't have to hear it. 

Speaking of names and our visions for their lives after the show, my fantasy conversation after they get back to Los Angeles and figure out how to play at being married involves Laura telling him that while she knows they have to make things look good for INS, she's dropping this hyphenated last name bit post haste.  If it's not something she'd have done if they'd married for real, she doesn't need to do it to prove something to immigration; this was the '80s, not the '50s, so INS can cope with the fact a woman (especially a woman with a career) keeping her name isn't any indication of a sham marriage.  As soon as she introduces herself to clients as Laura Holt-Steele, she's dismissed in their eyes -- how cute, the boss man is letting the little woman play detective.  Sure, some of them will know coming in that they're married, and, either way, not everyone is sexist enough to assume she only has the job because of her husband, but it's a common enough problem that her professional life is going to be a lot easier if she remains Laura Holt.

Plus, I like the dichotomy of names being largely meaningless to him, but an important aspect of identity to her. 

Edited by Bastet

I just hate the name Remington - and think it's an especially awful name to have to call out during sexy times - so while it makes sense she'd transition from Mr. Steele to Remington, I'm glad I don't have to hear it. 

Ah, well, I always found it too stiff but otherwise loved the name.  And I've figured out that even the worst names become endearing when the person is endeared to you.  Plus I love multi syllable names because soooo much can be said just saying a name. 

Speaking of names and our visions for their lives after the show, my fantasy conversation after they get back to Los Angeles and figure out how to play at being married involves Laura telling him that while she knows they have to make things look good for INS, she's dropping this hyphenated last name bit post haste.  If it's not something she'd have done if they'd married for real, she doesn't need to do it to prove something to immigration; this was the '80s, not the '50s, so INS can cope with the fact a woman (especially a woman with a career) keeping her name isn't any indication of a sham marriage.  As soon as she introduces herself to clients as Laura Holt-Steele, she's dismissed in their eyes -- how cute, the boss man is letting the little woman play detective.  Sure, some of them will know coming in that they're married, and, either way, not everyone is sexist enough to assume she only has the job because of her husband, but it's a common enough problem that her professional life is going to be a lot easier if she remains Laura Holt.

Plus, I like the dichotomy of names being largely meaningless to him, but an important aspect of identity to her. 

Interesting thought.  Something I had never considered.  At the time it was really rare for any married woman to keep her maiden name.  Event the hyphenated thing was really new.  I can absolutely see her using her original name at work but I wonder about her not taking the last name Steele outside of work.  Just because it was really uncommon.  Not disputing your head canon but taking time to adjust to it. 

Different circles, I guess - among professional women I knew who got married around that time, probably 40% declined to change their last names.  Those who'd married earlier, though, had generally changed to their husband's last name -- a good 95% of them.  So, to me, this takes place in the time when that really started being accepted. 

In 1987 I was 12-13 so my exposure was mostly through what was making it into the media and TV and movies (and school and parent's friends but that's pretty limited since all my parent's friends were already married and only a couple teachers got married.  Ironically, having to call my teacher by a new name probably made me more open to women keeping their names because it seemed so wrong that she'd suddenly be this different person who had to keep explaining the change and the guy she married didn't have to do any of that.). 

The only people I knew that kept their names after marriage were actors but half of them had fake names anyway so it didn't matter.

Beyond that I won't speak to what was common in the real world, but I remember the fuss they'd make in TV shows about the hyphenated option and how long it was before they even got the discussion around to not taking a name at all. Like I said, something new for me to ponder, lol.   

I just read in the In Memoriam thread that Michael Gleason died Friday.

From the Facebook post announcing his death:

Remington fans, Michael’s favorite scene written was Mr. Steele’s fight with the ficus. Watch that scene in his honor and toast the man who truly was Remington Steele.

I shall indeed be popping in that DVD tonight.  (And it's touching for that to be his favorite, as he's acknowledged that all credit for how delightful that scene is goes to Pierce -- so Gleason's favorite scene is not some intricate, dramatic moment he slaved over a typewriter about, but a small notation in his script that one of his actors turned into comedy gold.)

• Love 3

I remember Steele batting at the plant but can't place which episode it happened in.  Help?

Steele Eligible, when someone is killing bachelors ("In that case, Laura, will you marry me?").  He needs to get to the arena to help Laura, but he's in a wheelchair with a broken leg.  To get out of the apartment, he must do battle with a ficus.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Steele Eligible, when someone is killing bachelors ("In that case, Laura, will you marry me?").  He needs to get to the arena to help Laura, but he's in a wheelchair with a broken leg.  To get out of the apartment, he must do battle with a ficus.

Oh that scene had me laughing hysterically, as well as cringing every time Remington's leg in the cast hit a wall.  I think I remember Gleason saying that Brosnan wanted to do it that way? With the wheelchair instead of crutches?

Has anyone seen or read Zimbalist, Brosnan, or anything from other people he worked with? Not just this show? I've only seen them reposting what was posted on his Face Book page.

• Love 1

I don't use social media, so I don't know if something was posted to Facebook, Twitter, etc. by any of his colleagues.  All I've read are the obituaries in the trades, and the only person I saw quoted there was Susan Sullivan.

12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm not sure how many of you have MeTV, but the show is back for the summer! 11:00 am weekdays.

I've been wondering when it might show up on that channel.  I'm so going to watch.  

• Love 1

How odd. They won't start with the first season when the show returns next weekend. It will start with the second season. I'm bummed because other than the episode where Murphy confessed his feelings for Laura, I can't think of a bad episode in the first season. Then there's that really Hawt kiss in "Vintage Steele."

I suppose I should be grateful that they're not starting with the last season.

But I am enjoying the lines from the episodes edited in the promos that have Steele and Laura talking about what a great show this is!??

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Maverick said:

I think they're only airing it for the summer so they want to air the end the end of the series rather than the beginning since the first season is so different.

Well I prefer the first season because the characters are recognizable and act in character, unlike the horrid fifth season, which should never see the light of day, except for the last three minutes.

(edited)

I think my biggest complaint about the fifth season is actually not how they act, but that Laura and Remington are kept apart for the majority of their scenes.  Four years of the show being 80% of showing them working a case TOGETHER and then a 5th season where 80% was them NOT working together or even being in the same scenes.  

It's a pet peeve I have with a lot of shows when they decide to let the characters be together officially, that's the moment when suddenly they work overtime to separate them into individual story lines. Which of course is stupid because the people liked watching them together.  Even when it was not romantic stuff.  So it makes no sense to limit their interaction once they are in an official relationship to only the relationship stuff.  And yet it happens ALL THE TIME on shows.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I think my biggest complaint about the fifth season is actually not how they act, but that Laurel and Remington are kept apart for the majority of their scenes.  Four years of the show being 80% of showing them working a case TOGETHER and then a 5th season where 80% was them NOT working together or even being in the same scenes.  

It's a pet peeve I have with a lot of shows when they decide to let the characters be together officially, that's the moment when suddenly they work overtime to separate them into individual story lines. Which of course is stupid because the people liked watching them together.  Even when it was not romantic stuff.  So it makes no sense to limit their interaction once they are in an official relationship to only the relationship stuff.  And yet it happens ALL THE TIME on shows.  

Well yeah, that was a given. But I guess I should have added that as well. 

Then there was the whole deal of making Steele look like an unworthy jerk compared to Tony the Gorilla, who wouldn't GO AWAY!!!!???

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well yeah, that was a given. But I guess I should have added that as well. 

Then there was the whole deal of making Steele look like an unworthy jerk compared to Tony the Gorilla, who wouldn't GO AWAY!!!!???

One of Steele's more maddening qualities is letting Laura think the worst of him like in the Santa Claus episode where he explained to Mildred the gun had no bullets but let Laura think he chickened out.  He didn't tell Laura why he fought with ... blanking out.  Bald insurance guy that laughed funny.  KEYS!  

He also didn't tell her that when driving to the nice hotel, the jeep went into the drink and he had to walk nearly as far as she did.  He didn't tell her that the government wanted him to do a job for them.  He also tried to save Tony on his own but let Laura think she had to do it on her own.  He didn't defend himself when his actions had a noble explanation and it always intrigued me.  It was like he felt he probably deserved to be thought of negatively, even when he didn't.  

He also repeatedly out did and beat Tony, but only when Laura wasn't looking.  Again, I found it an intriguing trait.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

God, Tony. Still hate him and have had an irrational bias against Jack Scalia since. (I did say it was irrational!) Hell, I had issues with Mark Harmon for years after Moonlighting, too. But I got over that because...well, it could get worse than Sam there.

• Love 1

After Tony I still have an irrational dislike of any one that even vaguely LOOKS like Jack Scalia, lol.  And the name Tony.  It killed me on Lois & Clark when his look alike with the same name showed up to be the competition.  (And later when Jack Scalia actually showed up in an episode, I was rooting against him surviving the episode, lol.)

• Love 2

I think I blanked out on Jack Scalia during the original airing-because he played Sue Ellen's love interest Nick somebody the same year? on Dallas. Then after seeing his Tony the Gorilla, I've never been able to like him in anything!?

As for Mark Harmon? Well I've ALWAYS loved him and always liked him better than Bruce Willis, so didn't pay attention to the fact that he was an obstruction to David and Mattie. ??

And now I'm off to the second season thread!

So we're heading into the homestretch as the series* comes to an end. They skipped over three episodes in season three--"Breath of Steele," "Springtime for Steele," and "Diced Steele." Frankly I didn't mind not airing the second one, because I would have just fast forwarded most of it because I can't STAND Rocky. But I am bummed they didn't air "Breath" and "Diced," because I enjoyed those-plus "Diced" introduced us to Keyes. 

And I suppose because it's summer, they decided to skip over the Christmas episode in season four - "Dancer, Prancer, Donner & Steele." I wish they hadn't because Brosnan looked particularly more hot with his short hair, plus another example of letting Laura think the worst of him (WHY?), but it was still a good episode. They better NOT skip over "Sensitive Steele" OR "Beg, Borrow or Steele," for the emotional gut puncher in the first, and Brosnan's line delivery of losing Laura's "Uhhhhrn" to Mildred.??????????

*"Season" Five NEVER happened!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

"Breath of Steele, I seem to remember also having issues with the Broadway songs the girls were singing getting clearance to air.  There were some Sinatra songs as well on Diced Steele, maybe that had the same issues.    

3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

"Breath of Steele, I seem to remember also having issues with the Broadway songs the girls were singing getting clearance to air.  There were some Sinatra songs as well on Diced Steele, maybe that had the same issues.    

Well CRAP.

Hooray for Hollywood is still under copyright, yes - the music/lyrics are only about 80 years old, and of course Lynne Randall's sound recording is only about 30 years old.

(She also sang Who's Sorry Now)

7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And I was sorry for it, lol.  ?

Not as sorry as I was!???

Going back, after watching "Steele Searching," I'm more bummed that the Earl of Claridge turned out NOT to be Steele's father. They both had similar builds. And to kill him off a little over a year later, just pisses me off all over again. For him to find love and lose whatever chance to find his son...???

Yeah, I'm a sentimental sap.

• Love 1

UGH. They skipped over THREE more episodes just so they could air the season that didn't HAPPEN!!! "Santa is Coming to Steele," "Steele in the Spotlight" and "Steele at Your Service." I'm especially fond of the last one, because Steele has to play an English butler and it was hilarious! At least they aired Sensitive Steele"  and "Beg, Borrow or Steele."

I would have much preferred that seasons 1-4 had aired instead.????