Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Gathering

Athena
  • Start Topic

Claire plans to attempt an escape during the "Gathering," but her plans are thwarted by a run-in with a drunken Dougal and a surprise encounter with Jamie.

As usual, no book talk please. Thanks!

Surprisingly, this show has a lot of humor.  Angus and Rupert together are comedy gold...those two fighting over the same lady was hilarious. 

Anyone else confused by Colum's changed appearance?  He looked like a completely different actor.  That was Colum, right?   

Seriously, Claire, giving Laoghaire a love potion for Jamie with dried horse dung as the main ingredient?  Not cool at all.  Speaking of Jamie, it took him like 30 minutes to even show up on screen.  That was way too long, if you ask me.

Damn Dougal, I kind of like you, but why did you have to go and try to assault Claire?  That was gross.  At least she walloped him over the head pretty good.  For an older looking gentleman, he sure has a lot of spunk, as witnessed in the game at the end there.

It has to suck for Jamie.  I think he just wants to spend some quality time with Claire, and she spends every episode telling him how she has to get out of there.  He seemed pretty sorry that he might have offended her by repeatedly calling Sassenach. 

• Love 2
Seriously, Claire, giving Laoghaire a love potion for Jamie with dried horse dung as the main ingredient?  Not cool at all.

It was actually unintentionally brilliant given how much Jamie loves horses.

I thought this was a fun episode with a lot of great humor, but it definitely felt like filler. I just want to watch Jamie say "Je suis prest" on loop for the next hour or two.

• Love 3
Damn Dougal, I kind of like you, but why did you have to go and try to assault Claire?  That was gross.  At least she walloped him over the head pretty good.  For an older looking gentleman, he sure has a lot of spunk, as witnessed in the game at the end there.

Dougal must be one hot tamale. Apparently, he's bed (or has tried to) just about everything in a skirt. Maybe even a few men. Jeez. He's reminding me of one of those medieval lords who had the right to sleep with the bride before her new husband first does.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this episode. My 8 year old son likes it. He doesn't understand most of it, but he likes the theme song and the dirty Scots. Hopefully, he doesn't try them as justification for not bathing. ;)

The lighting and cinematography are stunning.

• Love 1

Well, Rupert and Angus stole the show tonight I think. They cracked me up the whole episode, and Murtoch was stoic and awesome too. I'm really enjoying those side characters that weren't developed as much in the books.

I hated what Geillis was wearing in the first few episodes, but I love the one she had on in the surgery. That was a great, intense scene too.

Mrs. Fitz totally burned Diana, did you catch that line? Something like, "Such a nice dress, I remember you wore it so well to the last gathering." Heh.

Did you guys see

Jamie touch the back of his head when he was talking to Claire about how she knocked Dougal over the head with that stool?

Oh, foreshadowy details, how I love them.

Oh, and um, Sam saying "Je suis prest" was clearly filmed in such a way as to offer maximum fanservice to book readers. Heeheehee. (And it was appreciated.)

Were they playing lacrosse? I thought that was a Native American game.

Great song on the end credits, and I also noticed several 40s songs throughout the episode as well.

Finally, I might be the only one, but I really, really love the voice overs. It wouldn't feel as much like Outlander without the voice of Claire in your ear, all thoughtful and poetic.

• Love 14

Seriously, Claire, giving Laoghaire a love potion for Jamie with dried horse dung as the main ingredient?  Not cool at all.  Speaking of Jamie, it took him like 30 minutes to even show up on screen.  That was way too long, if you ask me.

Claire just told Loaghaire to sprinkle it around the stable. Jamie wouldn't notice the smell. It was the Wizard of Oz heel-clicking instructions and repeating of the phrase "There's no place like love" that cracked me up.

I was enjoying the 40s music scoring the scenes tonight.

And holy hell, was that a loaded conversation Gaellis had with Claire.

• Love 3
Were they playing lacrosse? I thought that was a Native American game.

They were playing field hockey, which is an English game. At my school they only had a woman's team, and they had to wear kilts.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 2

I think what they are playing is called hurling.

I loved Mistress Fitz's burn to Iona MacTavish. That was awesome.

I said in a previous thread that I love Rupert. I am hoping that a few things he says in the books make it to the show, because I think the actor would do it well.

I understand the Geilis love but I just don't.

• Love 3

Me too. I didn't recognize Collum until I saw his legs. I thought Diana did great in her little cameo tonight. It was too funny that they had her shush Murtagh (I think) when he was translating for Claire.

• Love 1

Well, Rupert and Angus stole the show tonight I think. They cracked me up the whole episode, and Murtoch was stoic and awesome too. I'm really enjoying those side characters that weren't developed as much in the books.

I totally agree.  I loved when Claire was saying it was her fault Jamie had to come to the oathtaking, and Murtagh just says, "It is."  And Rupert and Angus were so funny the whole episode.  Another favorite moment was when Claire was worried about going back in the castle after hitting Dougal and Jamie was just so impressed that she took him down.

I also really, really loved the scenes at the end with Dougal and Claire when Geordie was dying and later when he thanked her.  I like the way they're showing the complexities in his character.

• Love 10

Oh duh, lacrosse sticks have like little nets on them, don't they? I knew that. Thanks!

Yeah, and lacrosse is an Iroquois game (and Canada`s national sport.) The Scots get golf and curling, but lacrosse is ours. Speaking of, field hockey, Scots-style, is a hell of a lot like ice hockey. 

This was an amusing episode with some underlying darkness- Dougal`s a bit of a wild card. Nothing like beating men off a woman and then drunkenly putting the moves on her yourself.

They really need to stop hiding Jamie for the first half hour. I like how he was worried about insulting Claire by calling her Sassenach. He was also delightfully sad when she said she was determined to run away. 

PS (I don`t see another spot for this....but Caitriona Balfe was a pretty well-known fashion model back in the day. She's actually heavily featured in her friend Sara Ziff`s documentary "Picture Me" about modelling, the good/bad in the fashion industry etc.  I think Balfe co-produced it. So, if you'd like to see her in her fashion days and hear her lovely Irish accent,  it's on Netflix.) 

Edited by Pogojoco

Little things I appreciated in this episode:

1. When Claire is sharing her port with one of her "babysitters," and he remarks on its strength and tastiness, she lets him know that there's a sedative in it. But, of course, he has no idea what that is and asks, "is that Italian?"

2. Loved the undercurrent of 1940's music playing in some of the scenes. Makes me think that -- in her head -- Claire is humming that music as she bustles about planning her escape.

3. Loved the little incantation Claire asks Laoghaire to say when she sprinkles the "love potion" at Jamie's door. "There's no place like love; there's no place like love." Of course, I immediately asked myself when The Wizard of Oz was released.... 1939. Okay. Claire could've seen it.

• Love 5

Diana's cameo was adorable.  I need to rewatch before I have anything else to say, since a friend was messaging me about unrelated matters while I was trying to watch.

Oh wait, Claire was also adorable when talking to Jamie about walloping Dougal over the head.  I'm still not entirely on board with the casting for Claire but I loved her there.

• Love 1
Surprisingly, this show has a lot of humor.  Angus and Rupert together are comedy gold...those two fighting over the same lady was hilarious.

I'm not that surprised. Everyday life has a lot of "you have be there to get it" humor. It very much adds to the authenticity of the show [i'm looking at you Leftovers].

Mrs. Fitz totally burned Diana, did you catch that line? Something like, "Such a nice dress, I remember you wore it so well to the last gathering." Heh.

And she was moving on before it registered with the other women that she just got pwnd. 

Finally, I might be the only one, but I really, really love the voice overs.

I get what they're doing with it because you can't have Claire plotting to escape by telling anyone, for one, and talking to herself, for the other, because then they'd think she's nuts. Use it judiciously. When you're having the kids say "you lost your ribbon," and Claire is looking all shifty at the guards, it's pretty clear that she's hatching a plot to escape, as you, show, also showed me the ribbons directly after Claire looked at the guards. Not everything has to be accompanied with exposition. Let the actors act. They're doing quite well. 

But, of course, he has no idea what that is and asks, "is that Italian?"

I thought he said Spanish, but he was looking like it was this super fancy drink.

I wouldn't call this filler because I'm assuming the entire season is meant to be taken in as a whole. I actually think it's a smart decision by TPTBs in terms of executing the show [ahem, Leftovers, for last time]. 

You got all the characters in one place for a reason that wasn't contrived. They got out a lot of the politics in one shot as well. Dougal learns that there's more than Claire that people might think, and her being competent gets her out of the castle. Works for me.

As much as I want to learn more about the stones, I would have thought that it would have been too easy if Claire escaped, and I can live with the "there's extra guards" excuse. Though I do like that she really tried to think it through. She did have everyone fooled. 

• Love 2

The episode seemed to kind of revolve around Dougal's declining virility. Claire didn't swoon after he bailed her out of potential rape, Jamie's hotty mchottiness  is more popular amongst his clan than he is, and then he gets beaten by Jamie at his own game. 

• Love 1

I don't think there's anything "declining" about Dougal's virility, lol. He seems a fit and feisty man, even for an "older gentleman" as referenced upthread.
That's a "man," luv, not a boy.
And a fine actor playing him- his subtle choices should garner him a nomination for something. That is an alpha. Folks have some very misguided ideas about what constitutes alpha behavior- it is not aggressive posturing or fighting to be top dog. It is knowing that you already are and leading those under your control with the barest glance or nod of the head.  Masterful performances from him.

I thought Colum cleaned up nicely- I recognized him easily because I know who Gary Lewis is.

Geillis' pointed questions pinged Claire's suspicion a bit, no? They sure are dancing around in those conversations.

The barrel on the lookout's gun sure was long- they are using flintlock muskets at this stage? Any firearms experts willing to chime in on some details?

The Angus & Rupert Comedy Tag Team is priceless- kudos to both of them for keeping it coming.

Murtagh! My man!
If you had told me before this show started that I would see anything remotely attractive about Murtagh I would have laughed as book-Murtagh was anything but, but he managed to look mighty hot a time or two here. Lots of Scot flavored testosterone walking around in these scenes- I can almost smell it.

That whole expositiony bit about Jamie takes the oath/Dougal kills him and or doesn't swear fealty/Dougal kills him needed to be a bit more clear, I think. It's confusing enough for book readers- I can't imagine how difficult it is for those not familiar with Tanistry.
But Murtagh's "Aye, it is." (Claire's fault) was excellent.

This has surpassed Game of Thrones as the fastest hour on television- the past two episodes have just swooshed by.

ETA: Apparently, I cannot spell Murtagh correctly!

Edited by Pestilentia
  • Love 12

I don't think Dougal was about to rape Claire - he was clearly drunk and ordered her to run once their kiss was over. Claire only knocked him out because he was about to see her Escape-the-Leoch-Kit.

This episode really fleshed out Dougal for me: I love him as a complex character, and - as my mother pointed out - he is mighty handsome. He's like a great grey wolf, slightly past his prime, but still very dangerous.

He does care about his men, and his family, but he's also pretty power hungry, I guess. But still, if he was dead set on killing his nephew, he would have forced him to come to the gathering earlier. The whole situation just played the way it did because Claire wouldn't watch her step and because Jamie wanted to be with her a minute longer.

Other points:

Diana's cameo was funny. And she did look nice in that dress, even if it was an old-fashioned dress ;)

Angus/Rupert are comedy gold. Never change, boys.

Laoghaire's sweetness did have a drop of poison to it. She's not as apt in her act as Gaellis, but she'll get there. Still, she and Jamie kissed last episode and now she needs a love potion. Would that mean he stopped their loose behaviour after being seen by Claire? And now Laoghaire is desperate to get his "heart" back.

I have seen plenty of wild boars in my life (they come pretty close to my house, we live near a forest) and neither had such long tusks. Must be the Scottish Breed.

Loved Claire's dress to the gathering. Still, very impractical for an escape attempt.

The grass hockey game (or whatever that would be) reminded me of that one scene from the Last of the Mohicans with daniel Day-Lewis. This one was much more brutal though. I think Dougal wanted to vent his pain after losing Geordie (or, in general, after losing a man to a boar), plus his anger against Jamie (or, strictly speaking, Jamie's presence at leoch) got the best of him. The onlookers were all pretty shocked when he and Jamie went mano-a-mano.

And let me just say that Claire was adorable in her complex escape plan. She had everything written out in her head.

• Love 7
I get what they're doing with it because you can't have Claire plotting to escape by telling anyone, for one, and talking to herself, for the other, because then they'd think she's nuts. Use it judiciously. When you're having the kids say "you lost your ribbon," and Claire is looking all shifty at the guards, it's pretty clear that she's hatching a plot to escape, as you, show, also showed me the ribbons directly after Claire looked at the guards. Not everything has to be accompanied with exposition. Let the actors act. They're doing quite well.

I see what you're saying, and I agree that sometimes the things in the voiceovers aren't strictly necessary to understanding of the plot, but what I'm saying is that even with that, I still love them. Or even, I love them because of that. They're not always necessary for our understanding of what's going on, but they're Claire and they're Outlander, and they help convey the feel of the books onto the TV screen.

There were some especially lovely ones last night, but I've slept since then, so I've forgotten what they were. What a horrible thing...I guess I'll have to rewatch the episode later.

(Come to think of it, I might just be a sucker for voice overs, as I was a huge fan of both Veronica Mars and Burn Notice. Maybe they just have a special place in my heart.)

Edited by Petunia846
  • Love 6

Oh, and um, Sam saying "Je suis prest" was clearly filmed in such a way as to offer maximum fanservice to book readers. 

I just about died, because it was SO cheesy with him looking straight at the camera but also so effective.

Oh and I love Claire, that's all.

• Love 3

I was initially confused about Colum, too, but then I realized that of course he'd clean up for this occasion - shave and all! I felt for him. It must have been HORRIBLE needing to stand for so long while every male of your clan pledges fealty. He's so stoic. Such a quiet, kind strength to him. I love what Gary Lewis is doing with the character. 

I also loved Diana's cameo! How perfect was that? Being sweetly told off by Mrs. Fitz was just about as perfect as it gets. Almost as perfect as whenever Jamie finally decides to grace us with his presence. Please, more of that! I need ever more of the Jamie/Claire factor in my life.

Edited by Door
  • Love 3
I thought he said Spanish,

You're right. I don't know why Italian stuck in my head.

The Angus & Rupert Comedy Tag Team is priceless- kudos to both of them for keeping it coming.

They remind me a bit of the supporting characters in a Shakespeare play that have important "jobs" within the plot of the play -- like police officer or soldier -- but are often the buffoon-ish comedy relief to the main action.

• Love 2

Idon't think Dougal was about to rape Claire - he was clearly drunk and ordered her to run once their kiss was over. Claire only knocked him out because he was about to see her Escape-the-Leoch-Kit.

Yeh I don't think he would have gone through with it. I think that explains why Claire was relatively relaxed with him later. I happen to like Dougal and have thought from the start that he likes Claire... in sort of -- if I were 20 years younger -- way. I think he is sort of "jealous" of Jamie.  But over all a decent guy.  I thought this episode was boring and I really didn't need to see so much intestines.

• Love 1

There's an article in The Hollywood Reporter that I just read which is an interview with writer/producer Matt Roberts. It focuses on the episode we just watched -- writing it, how he filmed it, it's position in this arc, etc. -- and talks a lot about the Claire/Dougal relationship. It was very interesting and made a few points I either forgot from the book or just didn't get. It's a bit spoilerish, since it talks about future episodes too.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/outlander-producer-geordies-death-claire-729063

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

This episode really fleshed out Dougal for me: I love him as a complex character, and - as my mother pointed out - he is mighty handsome. He's like a great grey wolf, slightly past his prime, but still very dangerous.

The grass hockey game (or whatever that would be) reminded me of that one scene from the Last of the Mohicans with daniel Day-Lewis. This one was much more brutal though. I think Dougal wanted to vent his pain after losing Geordie (or, in general, after losing a man to a boar), plus his anger against Jamie (or, strictly speaking, Jamie's presence at leoch) got the best of him. The onlookers were all pretty shocked when he and Jamie went mano-a-mano.

Yes, this really was a Dougal episode.

I kind of get the feeling that Dougal is very conflicted about his relationship with Colum and Jamie serves as his outlet for frustration. He can't resent Colum and his position as Laird- Colum is the eldest and fully entitled to his title and Dougal has too much honor to not respect Colum in every way.

But he is doing much of the actual work required of the Laird (and then some!), and we all know that in the deep dark of his heart he knows he could do a better job of things. But he won't allow himself to feel that way, and so tends to take it out on the popular up and comer- Jamie.

His mistake was challenging Jamie in the game to start with- you are right that his anger got the best of him- he should have known better. Jamie's besting him certainly didn't help things at all. And I'm sure Jamie knew that as well, but men being what they are neither of them could help themselves.

Dougal is a wonderfully complex character being played masterfully.

• Love 9

His mistake was challenging Jamie in the game to start with- you are right that his anger got the best of him- he should have known better. Jamie's besting him certainly didn't help things at all. And I'm sure Jamie knew that as well, but men being what they are neither of them could help themselves.

I got the impression that Jamie was at first very surprised to see Dougal didn't threw the punches. It seemed that the game was supposed to be brutal, but not that much. Also, he got himself beaten two times and on the third, final confrontation, he chose the less offensive moves (tackle, over-the-shoulder body swing) instead of purely aggressive 'bat to the head / gut' move that Dougal was practicing.

My only problem with the voice-overs is the fact that Clair says, at least twice an episode, "This is my only chance to escape!!   Oh, and !!!"  I mean, it is a TV show, and at this point no one really thinks she was going to really just shrug her shoulder and settle into Life in the Leoch until it is time for her to retire and move to Florida.  It was a really good chance for her to escape, but not her last. 

ETA Mystic Moon, I've read somewhere, but not somewhere I've been able to find in the last two minutes, that Diana is using the original spelling of Je Suis Prest and that she did it deliberately.   

PS, yes, what Pestilentia said 

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 2

Why is the " Je suis prest " written this way when the it is supposed to be " Je suis prêt "??. is that a Scottish way to write it? Am I missing something?

I think they are using "Old French" form - the more ancient spelling. I read that the "ê" was used to show that a letter had been deleted at some time in the past, and that letter was often a vowel or the letter "s"

ETA: link explaining it- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_the_circumflex_in_French

Edited by Pestilentia
  • Love 2
My only problem with the voice-overs is the fact that Clair says, at least twice an episode, "This is my only chance to escape!!   Oh, and !!!"
They're not always necessary for our understanding of what's going on, but they're Claire and they're Outlander, and they help convey the feel of the books onto the TV screen.

That's the thing. They need to step back and look at using them effectively. This isn't books on tv because TPTBs for any show want to bring in book and non book viewers as much as possible. They need to make sure they focus on what makes a good tv show. If the experience is enhanced because one has read the books, great. 

95% of the v/o are fine. It's the one or two when I'm, "Yes, Claire, you told me." Or, "obviously, I can see that." It's when she either repeats herself or v/o something we're obviously looking at. It takes away from the actors. I'm a big fan of the writing getting the hell out of the way and letting the actors work. Tv tends to be over written *a lot*. 

The v/o on Burn Notice were more cliff notes to the spy stuff and not mini monologues like here. They were also shorter. So I think they're different. If Claire v/o that she's mixing the valerian in the port to knock everyone out, then that would be similar. 

• Love 2

Another good episode, I'll have to watch again because I couldn't hear too well the explanation as to why Jamie was in a no win situation with the uncles.

This was the first time I felt a couple of the voice overs were too much but it may be the influence of some of you good people here :-).

I knew when Claire said it was too much fuss for a hairy pig that things were going to go badly, I kept thinking a hairy pig killed Robert Baratheon, don't underestimate them.

I was distracted through the beginning wondering when and if Jaime was going to show up, is that good or bad?

• Love 3

I liked this episode a lot and I like the pace of the show overall. Its taking the time to build the tension and allowing viewers to get to know the characters and their many dimensions.

I really just wanted to come in and say that while Jamie has my heart in the books, I'm starting to crush on Murtagh of the TV Series! Didn't see that one coming.

• Love 5

I just about died, because it was SO cheesy with him looking straight at the camera but also so effective.

Oh and I love Claire, that's all.

I don't think he was looking straight at the camera, I thought he was looking over at Rupert and the other men when he said it.   I guess it kind of looks like he does, but his eyes are looking off to the side. 

• Love 1
Look, she has nobody to really talk to, so she's talking to herself ;)

I did say that too previously. She can't talk out loud about her escape plan. My issue is with the 2 per episode that are unnecessary and get in the way of watching the narrative unfold. 

Another good episode, I'll have to watch again because I couldn't hear too well the explanation as to why Jamie was in a no win situation with the uncles.

It seemed if Jamie swore fealty, he would become next in line for the lordship, legally, which would cause a split between the Dougal faction and his supporters, which is why they showed everyone drawing weapons. Dougal thinks it should be him because he's the brother. I assume there's more to Jamie's claim and who he is that we'll learn down the road. Because it seemed that everyone was ok with him just staying away in the stable. 

• Love 1

Murtagh explained that because Jamie has MacKenzie blood, he's be eligible for the lairdship, just like any other man with MacKenzie blood. What makes Jamie dangerous though, is that he's the only other candidate that can challenge Dougal's loyalty among the clansmen. What I don't understand is why Rupert would push Jamie to pledge when he's shown sympathy toward him during the hall beating. Did everyone not know the "damned if I do/damned if I don't"ness of the scenario? The tension when he stepped up to pledge suggested that everyone knew.

• Love 1
It seemed if Jamie swore fealty, he would become next in line for the lordship, legally, which would cause a split between the Dougal faction and his supporters, which is why they showed everyone drawing weapons. Dougal thinks it should be him because he's the brother. I assume there's more to Jamie's claim and who he is that we'll learn down the road. Because it seemed that everyone was ok with him just staying away in the stable.

Well, we already know that Jamie is the son of Colum and Dougal's sister, so apparently he has as much right to the position as Hamish if based just on blood connection. What makes things interesting is that it seems that being the son of a female member of the family does not immediately take Jamie out of the line of succession. Since he has that close blood tie, he can be elected Laird by the Mackenzie clan if he swears fealty to the current Laird, thus challenging both Hamish and Dougal. But I wonder, if by doing so, he'd be foreswearing leadership in his own father's clan ... if that's even a possibility. I guess that depends on Jamie's own father's position amongst *his* people which is not clear at this point. (Not sure if Jamie could be Laird of two clans.)

I don't think he was looking straight at the camera, I thought he was looking over at Rupert and the other men when he said it.   I guess it kind of looks like he does, but his eyes are looking off to the side. 

Okay, I amend my post to "sort of facing/in the general direction of the camera". :p 

Edited by glitterpants

The angle was definitely optimal for giffing and swooning, but I think it was also very effective in presenting, in simplest form, Jamie's most defining character aspect. And that, to me, is him embracing his role as a natural leader. In the first episode we see him play tough, sort of emulating Dougal when he needs to hold onto Claire as his prisoner, and then in the next few episodes, he's sort of trying to keep his head down. Then you have Claire there challenging him (like with helping the boy with the nail in his ear) and he starts to grow more confident. I thought the camera looking at him straight on when he uttered that line to be the perfect introduction to the character he'll be growing into.

• Love 6

Thanks everyone for the explanation, I hope they go into that a bit more later. Do we know if Jaime's mother was older or younger than Dougal?

Ellen MacKenzie

Fraser

Born  1691

Died 1729

Colum MacKenzie

Born: 1693

Died:

Dougal MacKenzie

Born: 1694

Died:

Edited by Athena