Type keyword(s) to search

RW in the Media: Somehow the Show is Almost Relevant

scrb
  • Start Topic

On 5/20/2017 at 5:44 PM, Bastet said:

Other than Sean, they only picked people whose accomplishments are in the entertainment industry.

I think 'accomplished' is.....NOT the word to use. In fact it's a REALLY stupid choice of word use. Most famous? Maybe. Most successful? Perhaps. Eric from season one got his own show on MTV. The fat black chick from season one is I think still a DEE JAY on one of those hippity hop/The rap radio stations in NYC. the angry black dude from season one....Kevin Powell I believe is his name, he pops up on TV every now and then. he's a journalist/protester, I'm kind of surprised NOT to see more of him shouting inanities on CNN/MSNBC since Trump got elected. Trump seems ot be right in his wheelhouse for outrage. Tec from Hawaii was in the first Van Wilder movie as his assistant. There wasa guy in the London show who was a playright who had one line in "How I got Into College.

But why would they pick anyone who ISN'T in the entertainment industry, where the entire point is about fame and getting your name/face out there?

As for the show coming back, nah, I think they've pretty much killed it with the stunt type seasons with the EXes/haters surprising the cast.

One thing that I have wondered about over the years, was there always a lot of "lets go out and get shitfaced and puke all over ourselves level drunk and everyone fucks everyone else in the house' type of shenanigans going on in the very early seasons, but they just didn't focus air that stuff?

On 2/12/2019 at 11:19 PM, Lantern7 said:

Seriously? Of course they are. I wanted them to do an Atlanta season for YEARS before I finally gave up on it ever happening. Now that I haven't actually watched the show in years, they finally come here, and on a platform I have no desire to watch. Eh...I'm too old to care now, but since I waited 25 years for an Atlanta season, I guess I have to at least check it out.

Karamo from the Philadelphia season was on the daily show promoting his new book. He had a lot of interesting things to say about his upbringing and how it affected his romantic relationships. The episode is available on demand. 

• Love 1
On 10/28/2018 at 12:21 PM, ShutUpLutz said:

I think 'accomplished' is.....NOT the word to use. In fact it's a REALLY stupid choice of word use. Most famous? Maybe. Most successful? Perhaps. Eric from season one got his own show on MTV. The fat black chick from season one is I think still a DEE JAY on one of those hippity hop/The rap radio stations in NYC. the angry black dude from season one....Kevin Powell I believe is his name, he pops up on TV every now and then. he's a journalist/protester, I'm kind of surprised NOT to see more of him shouting inanities on CNN/MSNBC since Trump got elected. Trump seems ot be right in his wheelhouse for outrage. Tec from Hawaii was in the first Van Wilder movie as his assistant. There wasa guy in the London show who was a playright who had one line in "How I got Into College.

But why would they pick anyone who ISN'T in the entertainment industry, where the entire point is about fame and getting your name/face out there?

As for the show coming back, nah, I think they've pretty much killed it with the stunt type seasons with the EXes/haters surprising the cast.

One thing that I have wondered about over the years, was there always a lot of "lets go out and get shitfaced and puke all over ourselves level drunk and everyone fucks everyone else in the house' type of shenanigans going on in the very early seasons, but they just didn't focus air that stuff?

Rachel Campos tried to get on The View more than once. 

Tweet from Rep. Duffy. Guess who's pregnant? Again? For the ninth friggin' time?!?

Look, I know that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, including the use or non-use of birth control due to religious reasons . . . but NINE KIDS. I honestly believe they have officially qualified for their own TLC series. Or at least a two-hour special.

I couldn't find news on the announcement, so I had to look up their Twitter accounts. They have firm beliefs in their political views. And that's all I have to say.

• Love 1
(edited)

They are so grossly irresponsible.  And, you're right, Sean, you're not crazy -- y'all left crazy behind several children ago.  Even bat shit insane is in the rear-view mirror at this point.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Didn’t Rachel have ambitions or talked about doing things with her life?

thats not to say motherhood is nothing but she could be a mother to 2 or 3 children and have a career, even if it’s just in the mommy track.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Lantern7 said:

Tweet from Rep. Duffy. Guess who's pregnant? Again? For the ninth friggin' time?!?

Look, I know that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, including the use or non-use of birth control due to religious reasons . . . but NINE KIDS. I honestly believe they have officially qualified for their own TLC series. Or at least a two-hour special.

I couldn't find news on the announcement, so I had to look up their Twitter accounts. They have firm beliefs in their political views. And that's all I have to say.

I was hoping she’d join The View. 

On 2/20/2019 at 6:00 PM, Giuseppe said:

Seriously? Of course they are. I wanted them to do an Atlanta season for YEARS before I finally gave up on it ever happening. Now that I haven't actually watched the show in years, they finally come here, and on a platform I have no desire to watch. Eh...I'm too old to care now, but since I waited 25 years for an Atlanta season, I guess I have to at least check it out.

Ha, that was exactly how I felt about the Philadelphia season. I was obsessed with the show in the early days and couldn't wait for them to come to town, but by the time they did, I was over the show. And that season sucked royally.

I was hoping she’d join The View. 

I would have liked to see that too. Our political beliefs don't align at all, but she's an engaging personality and I think would have been a better representative of that point of view than Elisabeth Hasselbeck or Megan McCain. 

That wasn't the entire point at the start. It was really about how people would respond to the conditions of being crammed together and videoed 24/7. I can understand why people in the performance space were drawn to the idea, but from the casting point of view, they weren't looking for entertainment hopefuls. 

I really don't think they left a lot of drunken debauchery on the cutting room floor in the early seasons, those people just had a little more going on than getting drunk and hooking up. They showed them drinking and there were hookups, but it wasn't an every night, all they ever did kind of thing.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Aaron4102 said:

The season premiere of RW Atlanta is up on facebook watch

I watched it. It was interesting...I don't know if I was just kind of nostalgic for Real World since i haven't watched it in years or the fact that it's in Atlanta where I've spent my entire life, but I didn't hate it. I liked that they had some very interesting debates on controversial topics right off the bat, and there were no drunken hook ups anywhere to be seen, and nobody (yet) seems interested in engaging in that type of behavior. I did have a few eye-rolls at some of the more conservative cast members viewpoints/comments, but they all seem to acknowledge or at least are willing to break out of their comfort zone. Still, this season seems ripe for some very heated arguments. Overall, I thought it definitely felt more like the Real World of yore...not necessarily the early classic seasons, but at least pre-Vegas 1. We'll see how long that lasts.

It bugged me that I couldn't figure out the house location, though. They never showed an overall shot, which would have helped.

Because of the viewing platform, I don't know how many people will watch/post about it. I can't be bothered to start a thread, but if a mod or someone else does, feel free to move this post there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I didn't really read it,

You didn't miss anything; it's just a compilation of publicly-available information, so most of those who went on to really do something with their lives are not included and it's largely just a list of those who've tried to extend their fame in ways that range from lame to dubious - and even that list often consists of outdated information because many of these folks' 15 minutes ran some time ago.

For example, did anyone who stopped rolling their eyes and laughing long enough register any surprise at this career trajectory for Eric (from season one):

According to his website, he's worked as a life, health, nutrition and wellness facilitator, a spiritual guide, and an addiction rehabilitation facilitator for over a decade. He's also a "license CyberScan quantum energy practitioner, and a licensed Doctor of Pastoral Science and Medicine."

Didn't think so.

I recently saw a commercial that the new season of RW will be streaming. I guess they can't give up the spots to the endlessly repeating repeats of Ridiculous. Mind you, I don't watch MTV anymore but whenever I pass by its channel listing, that's all that's on it these days, that Ridiculous show. What a sad state the channel has become.

• Love 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

I recently saw a commercial that the new season of RW will be streaming. I guess they can't give up the spots to the endlessly repeating repeats of Ridiculous. Mind you, I don't watch MTV anymore but whenever I pass by its channel listing, that's all that's on it these days, that Ridiculous show. What a sad state the channel has become.

I'm good with it. Anyone involved with Ridiculousness doesn't deserve even a tenth of what your average Challenger deserves. I will admit that I can see where running one show all weekend can bug.

If RW breaks out, maybe it will rejoin MTV. But after the disaster that was Bad Blood, I doubt it.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Bad Blood? I think the last season I watched in its entirety was Chicago with Brad and his pal there, Anneesa, Jamie Chung and Walla Walla Washington whats her face Tanya? Its been many moons.

Sean Duffy is resigning from Congress, not even finishing his term, as of 9/23/19.

He cites a child with a serious condition as the reason.

He was elected in 2010 and won re-election by 22 points.

I don't know if 4 or 5 terms gets Sean a pension and health care benefits for his very large family.

Maybe he'll get a gig on Fox News or something or maybe he thinks he can run for higher office in a couple of years.

Or maybe he's going to come back to The Challenge to win money for his kids!

37 minutes ago, scrb said:

Maybe he'll get a gig on Fox News or something or maybe he thinks he can run for higher office in a couple of years.

Or maybe he's going to come back to The Challenge to win money for his kids!

No on the latter, "very probable" on the former. I can't snark on him about this.

I don't like Facebook at all but I wish they would use their resources to put the original seasons with full music rights on Facebook Watch. It bums me out that they're lost forever. I only saw the first season because my cable provider put it on demand for the 25th anniversary a few years ago.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

In case you didn't hear, Sean is now contributing to CNN.

Sean doesn't contribute to anything, other than the overpopulation crisis.  He's been with CNN for a whopping 11 days now, and other anchors/commentators on the network have already lambasted him as "appalling" (among other specific things).  Fuck that guy.  (To be clear, my ire is with him, not you for reporting on his latest means of exposing the country to his ignorance and hatred.)

He's always been a fuck that guy type of dude; I wonder if Rachel would have turned out just as awful without him or if she'd be less annoying - and with half a dozen fewer kids - if she hadn't gotten knocked up and decided she had to saddle herself for life as a result.

Edited by Bastet
8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

This article is from 2018, and not sure if it's already been posted, but I thought it was an interesting read.

https://longreads.com/2018/06/05/when-the-real-world-gave-up-on-reality/

I'll read it once I recover from my disgust that a 2200-word piece, with an estimated read time of nine minutes, is housed on a site dedicated to "long reads".

Okay, I read it (in about seven minutes), and I think it's a superficial but accurate summary of the series' trajectory.  Nothing that hasn't been said before, but worthy of repeating:

As Hawaii segued naturally into the Millennial seasons, the show would never again return to a format where the housemates had outside jobs and ambitions that did not involve milking their Real World antics for the rest of their lives, and where they didn’t spend most of their on-camera time having intercourse in jetted water. And just to be Crystal-Pepsi-clear: Without the cynical meanness of Boston, Hawaii would not have been possible — just like Boston itself would not have been possible without London’s object lesson that well-adjusted individuals make for cratering ratings.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:50 PM, heatherchandler said:

Hot London Lars.

My teenage self loved him so much! 

Is anyone watching on the MTV Hits app? I got the free trial but I can’t see myself staying with it long term. Maybe I’m old but I’d rather buy the seasons outright. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

My teenage self loved him so much! 

Is anyone watching on the MTV Hits app? I got the free trial but I can’t see myself staying with it long term. Maybe I’m old but I’d rather buy the seasons outright. 

What is the MTV hits app??  Do they have the old seasons on RW?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

What is the MTV hits app??  Do they have the old seasons on RW?

An app/service I had no idea existed. I stumbled upon it on Apple TV+ There’s a free trial then it’s 5.99 a month I think. I was looking around for old seasons because what I’ve found online are blurry vhs conversions that look terrible on my tv. 

They have some but not all (I would like to see Hawaii again) I watched London on it yesterday. 

And Los Angeles has been on Pluto’s 111 all day. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 1

PlutoTV has aired seasons 1-4 over the last week, although there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to their schedule, and it's mixed in on the main MTV channel with other shows.

They also have a full time MTV Challenge channel airing season 22 (Battle of the Exes 2012) & newer seasons and a full time channel for The Hills. It's free.

• Love 2
On 8/9/2020 at 9:33 AM, snarts said:

PlutoTV has aired seasons 1-4 over the last week, although there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to their schedule, and it's mixed in on the main MTV channel with other shows.

They also have a full time MTV Challenge channel airing season 22 (Battle of the Exes 2012) & newer seasons and a full time channel for The Hills. It's free.

I want RW and RR to have their own channel. I want to see RW seasons 1-13. Everything after Paris is trash. 

• Love 2
On 6/26/2019 at 1:43 PM, Lady Iris said:

Bad Blood? I think the last season I watched in its entirety was Chicago with Brad and his pal there, Anneesa, Jamie Chung and Walla Walla Washington whats her face Tanya? Its been many moons.

Brad and Jaime were on the San Diego season. 

• Love 1
On 8/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, Teriyaki Terror said:

I want RW and RR to have their own channel. I want to see RW seasons 1-13. Everything after Paris is trash. 

I don’t think the powers that be comprehend the audience out there for this! It needs its own channel with a regular schedule so we know what’s coming. And I’d still like if they allowed us to buy the seasons outright. Mostly so I could watch on my own time and usually when Pluto has a season on, I can’t sit there for 12 hours due to life. Ugh. 

• Love 3

Over on The Challenge forum, someone posted a link to the proposed cast list for the We Want OGs season that Mark Long is heading up, but in that article was a link to another, describing how MTV was poised to reunite the first Real World season, with the possibility of other seasons to come. So far, sounds like all the original cast members want to do it, though they likely won't all be living together, but just reuniting on a stage or something giving updates. I'd LOVE if they could actually pull off having them all live together for a few weeks though.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 2