Type keyword(s) to search

RW in the Media: Somehow the Show is Almost Relevant

scrb
  • Start Topic

From the Department of I Don't Know Where Else To Put This: I saw CT on the third season sneak preview of Kroll Show tonight. Short story: he more or less plays himself (smoking and all) in a movie produced by one of Nick Kroll's creations, Bobby Bottleservice. I checked the credits . . . that was our boy. And with our luck, the sneak preview isn't slated to air. My suggestion: check the web site. It should pop up there soon.

ETA: CT pops up in this teaser clip. Check 0:16 (in the driver's seat with the headphone) and 2:02. Apparently, he's going to be taking part in Gigolo House, one of the many shows within Kroll Show.

That was dumb. I remembered almost all of the people selected and not because of The Challenge. I will give him Jay from London. The only reason I remember/know him is because he was dating my friend during his season.

Yeah, that list is not that great.

If I recall correctly, BMP intentionally cast Irene for Los Angeles because they wanted someone who was getting married for that season.

Sarah from Miami?  She was one of the more interesting people from that season.

Mohamed and Cory?

I think the only ones that were appropriately placed were Baya and Kevin from Back to New York. Melanie was missing in most episodes, but she brought the drama the few episodes she was in.  I still think it's funny that apparently her and Sarah became super close after the show. Not sure how Sarah from Hollywood is forgettable since she was the narrator of the whole season. 

Edited by choclatechip45

I think the only ones that were appropriately placed were Baya and Kevin from Back to New York.

See, I disagree with this. I LOVED Baya. One of my all-time favorite cast members. The fact that she moved on immediately only makes the memories grow fonder. One of the only cast members I consistently Google to look for up-to-date information.

• Love 1

See, I disagree with this. I LOVED Baya. One of my all-time favorite cast members. The fact that she moved on immediately only makes the memories grow fonder. One of the only cast members I consistently Google to look for up-to-date information.

I liked her too its just I always forget Brooklyn had 8 cast members and when I try to think of the 8th one I always have to look it up and it's Baya that I forget.  Whenever I think of Baya I remember she dated Ryan after the show and appeared on that special. I read she moved back to Utah is she still Djing?

Edited by choclatechip45

I would have put Judd at the top of the most forgettable list. I couldnt stand his whiny, know it all ass.

One thing he did that bugged me was when they were on vacation and the girls were jumping off the cliff. Dudd was too chicken shit to do it himself but he told everybody else how to do it.

Blech. Hated him.

I think stuff outside the season counts. Otherwise, you could've made a case for Jamie Chung, who seldom took the spotlight in RW: San Diego. Judd wound up coming a cartoonist/comic book writer, adapting Pedro's story to graphic novel (Pedro & Me; not exploitive and a must-read), and he married Pam. I can understand Judd turning some people off, but I never thought he was especially bad and/or dull.

• Love 1

I liked Judd from the moment he described himself as a "real bed-wetting liberal" in dissecting his attraction to the conservative Rachel.  He was so awkward to watch at times, but so relatable in that awkwardness.  My most forgettable from that season would be Mohammed; I remember liking what I saw of him, but it was so little that nothing stands out all these years later.

Jamie I barely remember from the SD season (one of the last I watched; I can't remember when, exactly, I threw in the towel for good) and I've never seen any of her acting gigs, so she's quite forgettable to me.  I remember the name when she's mentioned, but I don't have a clear mental picture.

I got the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly; they gave Skeletons a C-minus.

ETA for anybody who's interested: the season premiere is slated to run for 70 minutes on Tuesday. I don't know . . . because MTV, that's why.

I know he was the hometown cast member and it's a Chicago publication, but did we need that many pictures of Kyle?  (Of course, one picture of Kyle is probably too many.

My theory is that they did these updates through Facebook and Kyle sent them a bunch of pictures while everyone else sent one or none. Which might be why Anessa didn't answer since she is still on MTV and might get a ton of "fan messages". By the way if Keri has been married for 13 years does that mean she got married right after her season was wrapped? Wasn't she only pre-engaged on the reunion?

ETA It's always interesting to learn who has kept in touch with each other. I don't know when Chicago was airing if I would have predicted it would be Cara and Anessa 10+ years later.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

Heather couldn't stand Amaya in Challenge 2000, and they were seven years apart.

I think that's a little hyperbolic. Being annoyed by someone a lot younger is not the same thing as "can't stand ya." People hated Beth on the first challenge, People were annoyed by Amaya like you're annoyed by a kid sister on the second challenge. The only person I remember "hating" Amaya was Veronica and that was more of a rivalry.

Oprah hosting original Real World cast reunion. Still unclear if all seven showed, but Julie did:

I posted about this in the season thread, and OWN stated it as featuring just Julie, Heather and Norm.  Who are fun to listen to, but not much of a reunion since they've been fast friends ever since.  I'll still be tuning in, though.

Segments on Oprah: Where Are They Now? tend to run only about five to eight minutes, including the recap.  So, expect cute but not at all illuminating.

I'm excited for it, Julie has kept a low profile so it will be nice to hear from her. I would be surprised if any of them watch the show still I could see Norman maybe tuning in once in awhile. I remember his blog during The Gauntlet and he seemed to be in touch with a lot of people from the how granted that was 11 years ago.

Edited by choclatechip45

Anybody else catch the OWN profiles? They weren't too bad, except for maybe Heather's choice in outfits. I didn't even mind Eric Friggin' Nies getting repainted as a proto-Jersey Shore guy-turned-New Age guru living in Hawaii with a wife and a newborn. Of course, all I have to do is remember him winning $60K on Battle Of The Sexes 2, and then I get mad all over again.

Jon Murray did an AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2rj5vt/i_am_jon_murray_creator_of_mtvs_the_real_world/

Interesting tidbits:

• Eric Garcetti Mayor of LA was a finalist for S4 London
  • Creator of Jersey Shore was a finalist for Miami.
  • Kesha was a finalist not sure what season
  • He also said David Sedaris was finalist for SF, but he would of been in his 30s
  • Favorite real world characters are Pedro and Irene.
  • Love 2

He also said David Sedaris was finalist for SF, but he would of been in his 30s

I bet he is confusing his authors named David and meant Dave Eggers who talked about the audition process/being a finalist in A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

• Love 1

Isn't it fun to speculate on RW's demise? Also fun: going up to the likes of Tony, Bruno, Madison, etc., and asking how it feels to have killed the franchise.

The interesting part is looking at the ratings Skeletons is doing much better than Exes 2.

(edited)

I truly believe if MTV cancels it, someone else will pick it up. Oxygen, E!, Bravo ...  I admit, I've lost track over the years which networks fall under the same umbrella. I don't know who, but someone.

I could totally see Oxygen scooping it up and pairing it with "The Bad Girls Club" (both Bunim-Murray), thus making the Bad Girls eligible to compete on the Challenge ... even though they'd be worthless at the present-day Challenges. Maybe if it was the "challenges" were constructed for original Challenge, Challenge 2000, Extreme Challenge, and even the original Battle of the Seasons, but certainly not for the current "5th major American sport" / extreme-sports version we have now.

Edited by Bob Sambob

I've always figured that the show would get cancelled at some point, go away for a few years, and then MTV would resurrect it. It's just always seemed like that type of show to me. I know they tried it with Road Rules and it didn't pay off, but I think RW just lends itself better to an extended hiatus.