Type keyword(s) to search

Marco Polo - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That actually was his mom. She mentioned she came from his village, lost her son and husband, sang the presumably unique song his mother wrote. He put it all together went cray-cray over how messed up the whole scenario was.

• Love 3

Kind of surprised that Kublai was that easily played by Ahmad.  Sure, Ahmad seems to know the exact buttons to push, but considering all the other points that both Jingim and Marco brought up; not to mention Chabi of all people, finding another solution; I would have thought he would have mulled it over longer.  Then again, I'm not entirely sure how time works on this show, but it felt like he basically decided that night.  Either way, this is so going to come back to haunt him.

Speaking of Ahmed, I'm guessing that scene where Mei Lin is tying him up is suppose to be showing that he's into bondage?

Oh, look!  I'm reminded how much I don't care for whatever is going on between Marco and Kokachin.

I actually really enjoyed the stuff with Kaidu trying to get his politician on, and appease this Nayan character/the priest/Ron Yuan.  It strangely reminds me a lot of modern politics, and how politicians have to play to the religious groups, in order to get their support.  I guess some things never change!  But Kaidu obviously decided not to go through with it, so I wonder how this will effect his bid going forward.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Frame Worker said:

That actually was his mom. She mentioned she came from his village, lost her son and husband, sang the presumably unique song his mother wrote. He put it all together went cray-cray over how messed up the whole scenario was.

She had him when she was 10?  That woman did not look old enough to be his mother, not even 12 years earlier.  And I thought she said her son was killed in front of her.

I think that he just had some deep rooted conflict about the Khan and where he came from.  The woman represented that internal conflict.  I think it just showed when he started to turn into who he was.  He loved the Khan and tried to forget about how he came to be the Khan's son.  That woman reminded him of all of that, and so he killed her and I suspect thats when the seeds of his plan started to form.  He took parts of her life story to make his own.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

OK I was confused by Ahmed's flashback in this episode. Why did he kill the prostitute? What was the significance of the song she was humming? I must have missed something. 

Kaidu's fire-walk was much appreciated.

I think Ahmed was a fine and loyal son to the Khan, but his session with the hooker brought up some really bad memories.  It has to be conflicting to basically be the "son" to the man who violently took you away from your parents.  I think the story of a mother from his area, protecting her child just brought too many painful memories to the surface.  Stuff he would have to have pushed down and bottled away in order to survive and not lash out at the Khan.  So, I think he killed her to maybe suppress those feelings of rage he has bottled up against the Khan.  Steals her earring and fills in her memory for those things he barely can remember.  

And I imagine that right after the encounter/killing of the prostitute is when he goes back to the Khan, starts his job in the ministry and starts to form his plan of revenge.  I think meeting that prostitute and killing her was his turning point.

At least thats how I read it.

• Love 2

This is absolutely the Kublai Kahn show now.  It's the smart decision as Benedict Wong performance is magnetic and he's the best thing on the show (followed closely by One Hundred Eyes).  The actor playing Marco has improved this season (I think a lot of the cast has stepped up their game this season as well) but it's the Khan's story that generates the best and most interesting material.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I wish I'd refreshed myself on the previous season before watching this, because there were obviously things I forgot, but I think Marco s in a better position in China than he would be in Italy, and that's a part of why he stays. That last scene was so awful. I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. The series is great, though.

That and I also think Marco has fallen sway to the Khan's cult of personality, which is very strong.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Kind of surprised that Kublai was that easily played by Ahmad.  Sure, Ahmad seems to know the exact buttons to push, but considering all the other points that both Jingim and Marco brought up; not to mention Chabi of all people, finding another solution; I would have thought he would have mulled it over longer.  Then again, I'm not entirely sure how time works on this show, but it felt like he basically decided that night.  Either way, this is so going to come back to haunt him.

Speaking of Ahmed, I'm guessing that scene where Mei Lin is tying him up is suppose to be showing that he's into bondage?

Oh, look!  I'm reminded how much I don't care for whatever is going on between Marco and Kokachin.

I actually really enjoyed the stuff with Kaidu trying to get his politician on, and appease this Nayan character/the priest/Ron Yuan.  It strangely reminds me a lot of modern politics, and how politicians have to play to the religious groups, in order to get their support.  I guess some things never change!  But Kaidu obviously decided not to go through with it, so I wonder how this will effect his bid going forward.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Most people don't really take "advice", in that they are swayed from their own inclinations, so much as look to have those inclinations affirmed. Ahmad more or less gave voice and blessing to what Kublai was more inclined toward. I think he was thrown off by the reality of it, when faced with the boy's natural reaction to being assassinated, and maybe was not going to go through with it until a situation presented itself that was just too easy to pass up. Now he has to live with it.

• Love 4

I thought she was his mother as well. This series is really "going there" in all the taboo subjects! I thought the "dance" between Tom Wu and Michelle Yeoh was amazing! Can't wait to find out more about her/them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, benteen said:

This is absolutely the Kublai Kahn show now.  It's the smart decision as Benedict Wong performance is magnetic and he's the best thing on the show (followed closely by One Hundred Eyes).  The actor playing Marco has improved this season (I think a lot of the cast has stepped up their game this season as well) but it's the Khan's story that generates the best and most interesting material.

I agree, but would put Joan Chen right up there with the men. She's mesmerizing, and does so much with just a look.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, benteen said:

That woman was Ahmed's mother.  I'm certain that it was.  She probably had him when she was 12-15, explaining why she looked so young.

You're certain based on?  I'm not saying for sure one way or the other....but given the fact that she is barely older than him, and she said her son was killed in front of her make me doubt that they are actually related.  Even by the standards of the day, 12 would be pretty young to both have a husband and give birth to a child.  And then there would have to be two different sets of people that took Ahmed and took his mother.  So much so that the mother believed her son to be dead.

Thats a lot of coincidence and conjecture -- not impossible -- but improbable IMO.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I thought the "dance" between Tom Wu and Michelle Yeoh was amazing! Can't wait to find out more about her/them.

Yes! I forgot to mention that, but I really love Hundred Eyes and I am very curious to know who Michelle Yeoh is to him. That was a beautiful and sad scene. I am so happy Michelle Yeoh is in this show as she is a great actress and martial artist.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, benteen said:

That woman was Ahmed's mother.  I'm certain that it was.  She probably had him when she was 12-15, explaining why she looked so young.

I thought Ahmed said that he saw his mother die, that she died in his arms, and then that was when he met Chabi. I also thought the prostitute said she saw her husband and son die.

And, even if it was supposed to be his mother, why did he kill her? He could have rescued her from the brothel, he could have run away disgusted with himself, he could have killed the brothel owner, etc. But why kill HER?

9 hours ago, RCharter said:

I think Ahmed was a fine and loyal son to the Khan, but his session with the hooker brought up some really bad memories.  It has to be conflicting to basically be the "son" to the man who violently took you away from your parents.  I think the story of a mother from his area, protecting her child just brought too many painful memories to the surface.  Stuff he would have to have pushed down and bottled away in order to survive and not lash out at the Khan.  So, I think he killed her to maybe suppress those feelings of rage he has bottled up against the Khan.  Steals her earring and fills in her memory for those things he barely can remember.  

And I imagine that right after the encounter/killing of the prostitute is when he goes back to the Khan, starts his job in the ministry and starts to form his plan of revenge.  I think meeting that prostitute and killing her was his turning point.

At least thats how I read it.

I think your explanation is probably the best one. But it was still a very confusing scene.

• Love 2

You know what really surprised me? That the woman wasn't considered beautiful enough to join the Khan's harem. I though she was stunning, probably one of the top 3 most gorgeous women to appear on Marco Polo.

The scene was very confusing. The music made me immediately think she was his mother, and I think we were supposed to think the woman was around 35, and Ahmed around 20. That would work, BUT he said he saw his mother die, and the woman said she saw his son die. Plus, even with the make-up and the hair and the good acting, Ahmed still didn't look young enough in the scene for me.

I guess we'll have to wait for Fusco to explain.

• Love 3

I just finished it and I loved the season.  Thought it was great.  I hope we do get a Season 3.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples but the character of Kokachin had one of the worst years you can imagine.

I wish Benedict Wong would get some award recognition.  He's mesmerizing as the Khan.  Joan Chen also had a great season as well.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, rozen said:

I know this is supposed to be a dramatic turning point, but I can't help but roll my eyes. How many crying children have been murdered and dismembered at the orders of the Khan as the price of doing business? It's worse because this kid at least had the chance to plead for his life before getting crushed in Kublai's insecurities? Just ugh.

It's the personal side of that. Ordering your army to ravish a village, conquer a city, a traitor family to be killed, is very different than doing it yourself, with your own hands.

• Love 3

Well, that was a bit of a cliffhanger. I'd love a third season! I KNEW Mei Lin would be waiting for Ahmad! Up until that moment she was the only main character unaccounted for, and I was glad that it was not a case of them both killing each other, which I feared, since her daughter now had a protectress in Lotus. Kublai owes Marco again, but, as Chabi  pointed out, that can change at any moment, and he still knows the twins' true parentage. All in all, nicely done.

• Love 3
(edited)

That was a cliffhanger, and I don't see how Fusco could have written a season finale like this without knowing that season 3 already had a green light. It doesn't work as a series finale at all.

PresterJohn! This series just raised the bar, as far as I'm concerned, bringing him into the game. Prester John is such a fascinating myth/historical figure, and he is going to be a fab antagonist to Kublai. I think the weakest point of this season was the absence of a classical antagonist. Ahmed mostly worked in the sidelines, and Kaidu had so much potential, specially after what we saw in season 1, but in the end was a whiner manipulated by his mother. Speaking of her, if she never comes back I'm a happy camper. She was a horrible person, whose purpose was filled in two episodes,  but overcome her presence and her scenes dragged, wasting precious time that could have gone to other characters, specially Byamba who was extremely underused. I would have liked to see more of Khutulum, too.

When Nayan the Pope about committing the sins of the flesh I thought, well, he probably raped, slept with whores and bedded married women, then we learn that he was into children. Did his conversion atonne for his sins? Not in my book (here hoping he burns in hell), but he was an interesting character, and certainly a preview to what is to come. I liked that in the end he stayed true to his faith, I was afraid they would make him deny everything.

Glad to see Mei-Lin alive, though it is unlikely that we'll see her again on screen. It was just fitting that she would kill Ahmed and I loved that her final lines to him, that she would supported him all the way as long as he didn't touch her child. She was ruthless, ambitious and would have been a formidable emperess, but Ahmed betrayed her the only way she would never forgive him. Olivia Chen will be missed.

Poor Kokachin. She was only trying to survive and was unlucky enough to catch Chabi's eyes for the fourth wife. In another life, she could grow up to be a great opponet to Chabi, the future empress against the rulling empress, but it was not meant to be. Once Kokachin started allucinating with the Blue Princess, which was really her guilty ridden conscience, I knew she was going to kill herself  - even if Chabi give her a little hand in the end. Shame because she and Jingim really got along well. Zhu Zhu did a wonderful job with the material she was given. 

I have always loved Michelle Yeoh, and it pains me to see that I thought her character never hit it for me. Her love story with One Hundred Eyes felt like extra footage from the OHE movie. it didn't add much to his story, only that he, just like Marco, and anyone else, is a slave to the Khan's will.

Remi Hii is much better this season than the last one, but Lorenzo Riquelme still has a loooong way to go until I can watch him as Marco Polo and not think that there are so many Italian actors who could have played Marco and delivered it much much better. Why was he wearing eyeline in the first couple of episodes? Is that a Mongolian thing? I liked to see his father, the actor is great and Papa Polo brings to the surface the truth Marco refuses to see: those people will never trully trust him because he is the Other. Simple like that. Chabi told him to go home, Marco thinks Mongolia is his home, but she was spelling for him that it is not, not like he wants.

Chabi is such a smart woman, I don't buy for a second that she didn't have the soldier guarding Kokachin's door killed as soon as she killed the stable boy. Plot trumping character there. I like to think that she became attached to Kokachin and helped her to kill herself because she knew Kokachin wanted to be free. Pet peeve of mine: actors 'sobbing' their eyes out and no tears being seen. I'm looking at you in your confession scene with Kublai in the last episode, Joan Chen. Still, you are wonderful, wonderful actress and I'm glad this show gave me a chance to know your work.

Benjamin Wong deserves all the praise for his Kublai and a few awards too. He is magnificent. Too bad the show doesn't seem to get enough attention in Americas/Europe (see below).

Color me shocked the show went there with Ahmed enjoying being knotted and having Mei-Lin fuck him, even with all the orgies we've seen. I'm going to miss Mahesh Jadu, too. Great actor.

Overall I enjoyed this season, though the modern feel of some of the dialogue and some clothes really annoyed me. I wish they hadn't shown the bruning horses in the trailer, it ruined the suprise attack in episode 9 for me - also, shouldn't at least few of those horses fallen down way before they reached the camp?

Also, if anyone ever ever had any doubt about how women were undervaluerd in this society, just see Jingim and Kublai meeting their male heir. Not a single glance towards the daughter.

On 02/07/2016 at 10:23 PM, RCharter said:

I guess this show doesn't get much consideration for awards because only a few people watch it,

But do we know how many people watch it? Netflix doesn't share numbers, and we need to stop thinking in Western terms, the show may be huge in the Asian market.

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Raachel2008 said:

But do we know how many people watch it? Netflix doesn't share numbers, and we need to stop thinking in Western terms, the show may be huge in the Asian market.

from what I read, the low viewership was why Netflix almost didn't give the show a second season.

It's too bad about the low viewership.  While the first season had its flaws, I really thought it got a raw deal from the critics.  Whatever weakness Lorenzo Richelmy is as the lead character is more than made up by Benedict Wong, who really is the focal point of the show this season.  That was a wise decision.

I actually thought Ahmad (aka Littlefinger) was a strong villain.  I thought that the actor who played him, Mahesh Jadu really stepped up his game this year.  Rick Yune's Kaidu was hilariously indecisive all season (though he showed some fire in this episode) and seemed to be the one who got most of the modern dialogue that made him sound like a surfer dude.  I liked him in the role although neither Jadu or Yune could match Chin Han's Chancellor character from last season.

More One Hundred Eyes and Michelle Yeoh next season please!  If there is a next season...

I suspect this isn't the last we'll see of Mei-Lin, even though her story could logically end after this season.  I did like that Jingim did allow her to leave at the end.  She didn't deserve to be given back to the Khan at the end.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I thought Ahmed said that he saw his mother die, that she died in his arms, and then that was when he met Chabi. I also thought the prostitute said she saw her husband and son die.

And, even if it was supposed to be his mother, why did he kill her? He could have rescued her from the brothel, he could have run away disgusted with himself, he could have killed the brothel owner, etc. But why kill HER?

I think your explanation is probably the best one. But it was still a very confusing scene.

I think that was indeed his mother, she could have seen her husband die while with their son and assumed he had died as well.

I believe when he said "she died in my arms" it was referring to this scene where he literally killed his mother. But why he would kill his mother, I have no clue and I just chocked it up to the fact he is full on psycho.

• Love 1

Ah, who wouldn't want to go on a hike with Kublai and Marco?!  All the beautiful scenery, nature, debating the time Kublai strangled a kid with his bare hands that, threatening to throw Marco off a cliff, and, of course, wolf fights!  Good times!

Jingim showed off both his diplomacy and fighting skills, even though the latter part pretty much disqualified himself from the wrestling match, since he went full-blown WWE heel on that guy in the end.  But now it looks like he and Ahmad are stuck in the desert without horses, thanks to Khutulun and her brother (all by Kaidu's orders, it looks like.)

Kublai is not only pushing Chabi away, but is now using Mei Lin as his sex slave.  Who, in turn, seems to be setting him up to get a royal beatdown from Michelle Yeoh's character.  Meanwhile, Chabi is all about making sure Kokachin produces an heir.  Even if it isn't actually Jingim's.  And she reveals to Kokachin that she knows that she truly isn't the actual Blue Princess.  Uh oh!

No surprise that Kublai's execution of the Boy Emperor already seems to be biting him on the ass.

• Love 1

What happened to the Mongols heading to Xanadu who were 'delayed' - was it the mythical Prestor John lampshades in the previous episode, or just the Christian Mongols attacking rivals?

Gorgeous scenery and a great chance for the Khan and Marco to share a lot of scenes together.  The Khan is very good at deflecting blame for his actions onto others.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, benteen said:

I actually thought Ahmad (aka Littlefinger) was a strong villain.

Hehehe, I too thought about Littlefinger. He was a strong villain, but he was working on the sidelines. I think a villain like Jin Sidao works better for the narrative. I'll miss Ahmed.

Hopefully we will get a third season.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BruceAE said:

What happened to the Mongols heading to Xanadu who were 'delayed' - was it the mythical Prestor John lampshades in the previous episode, or just the Christian Mongols attacking rivals?

The answer waits for you at episode 10. :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Raachel2008 said:

Hehehe, I too thought about Littlefinger. He was a strong villain, but he was working on the sidelines. I think a villain like Jin Sidao works better for the narrative. I'll miss Ahmed.

Hopefully we will get a third season.

I hope there will be a third season too.....but I like the this episode could be a season finale, OR could be a series finale.

I feel like some shows end and no one realizes at the time that it won't get renewed so you're like, "huh?" (I'm look at you Rome).

I'm hoping that perhaps word of mouth gets people watching this season.  I mean, how many people have NF just to watch OITNB?  So, they are already paying for the service, they should give the show another shot!

But I also know that this show must cost a lot to make, its just so beautiful......I heard that was the reason HBO decided not to renew Rome...even though it was a pretty popular show....it was just expensive.

• Love 2

Had no idea Gabriel Byrne would be showing up in this.  He's great in everything, but I'm totally reminded of his brief, but rememberable stint in the first season of Vikings.  I'm kind of curious to see what will go down with the Pope, Nayan, and a returning Niccolo Polo a.k.a. one of the worst fathers in the planet.  There is always a risk with expanding the show like this, but keeping with the Vikings comparisons, I really enjoyed it when they brought in Ecbert and the Wessex aspect, so I have hope they can do it here too.

Not surprised they did find Jingim and Ahmed, but it certainly caused some damage, with not only Kubali and Kaidu almost taking each other out, but now it looks like Byamba and Khutulun are done for, since Byamba has apparently gone back to Team Kubali.  I know some of it was finding out they attacked his brothers, but I do think his pride truly couldn't get over the idea of Khutulun potentially being the new Khan, and having to be in her shadows.

Oh, Mei Lin.  It looks like Chabi was actually warming up to her plight over not seeing her daughter, only for Chabi to see Kubali's cloak and go straight back to hating her.  She just can't win, can she?

Speaking of which, I'm guessing Chabi is the one behind killing off the stable boy.  I get Kokachin being upset over it, but hanging out with the widow and their son, is extremely risky.  Then again, Kokachin herself was kind of creeping me out at the very end, so I have no idea what to make of this.

I really hope they find a way to have Kubali and Kaidu's mom trade barbs again.  Those two and their insults were cracking me up.

(edited)

I like Rick Yune a lot. So glad he's got a more prominent role this season.

I thought little Emperor kid was cute. It was totally in character for Kublai to kill him, though. 

Ahmad and Mei-Lin intrigue me. 

I liked the Marco-Kokochin stuff. I have always liked their dynamic. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

I definitely took it that the prostitute was suppose to be Ahmad's mom.  It was just to much of a coincident for her to say that she lost a husband and son, when there really wasn't any need to.  And I thought she said that the lullaby she was humming was made by her, so if she wasn't, then how would have Ahmad's mom heard of it?  So, I'm thinking that she was his mom and that made him go nuts and kill her, and jumpstart his revenge against Kublai.

Looks like Kublaii is continuing to fall for every trap Ahmad has been putting in front of him, but I'm guessing there are still a few wild cards that might change the game.  Mainly a suspicious Marco and now Mei Lin will probably cause some shit, after he threaten to use her daughter as a bargaining chip for Nayan to vote the way he wants to.  Either way, it will probably be messy.

So, the real Blue Princess is alive after-all, huh?  And wants to reclaim her status.  Not sure how Kokachin will get out of this.  Well, actually, I wonder if it will be Chabi that solves this issue.  At this point, Chabi has invested so much in going along with it, that I can see her getting rid of the actual Blue Princess, in order to keep the charade up.

Kaidu pretty much has all of his family mad at him and even seem to question going through with this, but crazy mom managed to bust out some kind witchery and shit, and now he's back on board.  Oh boy....

The fight/dance scene with Hundred Eyes and Lotus was great.  Really can't wait to dig into more of those two.

• Love 2

I think that Chabi will take care of the Blue Princess. In the episode where she brought in the stable hand to screw her daughter in law, the daughter in law said, "the child won't have full royal blood." And Chabi said, "the child will have no royal blood."  Which I think is meant to show that Chabi know she's not the real Blue Princess.

I am also certain that was Ahmed's mom. When he was in the cave humming the song, he said his mom sang it to him and then the prostitute sang the same one and said she wrote it for her son. He killed her because he's bat shit crazy  I think you explain that he said she died in his arms, because she actually did. 

• Love 2

Amazing how the Khan didn't get tired with his gout problems and all, good aim by Marco, could easily put one arrow on Kublai's arse.. LOL

How fast "Mother in Law of the Century" figured out Jingim is the one not able to have children? (he needs a couple of concubines IMO)

I do love the world expansion.  One of the things I find exciting on Vikings and Marco Polo are these cultures finding out about other culture.  The planet was so unexplored and people didn't travel much so seeing these interactions into a brave new world is exciting.

So I'm the only one thinking Nergui has just gone nuts from guilt and is imagining the real Kokachin is still alive? Maybe future episodes will make it more clear, but from the start I was actively spotting how so far we've only seen her alone with Nergui.

• Love 3

Wonderful fight between Hundred Eyes and Michelle Yeoh's character (forgot her name). I think they were both holding back because they didn't want to kill each other. I wish he had told her that he tried to leave and Khan wouldn't let him go. He also could have told her the reason he'd stayed in the first place.

• Love 1

Jingim was so damned happy at beating that hulking dude at wrestling, I could not help but laugh at that.

Loved the Kublai/Marco hike. As others have mentioned, the scenery was beautiful. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Empress Chabi knows Kokochin's real identity. 

Amazing how the Khan didn't get tired with his gout problems and all,

I thought the same thing!

• Love 1

I really hope they find a way to have Kubali and Kaidu's mom trade barbs again.  Those two and their insults were cracking me up.

One of my favorite parts of this episode. Benedict Wong really seems to relish the barbs they put in Kublai's mouth.

I wonder if this is really the end for Byamba and Kuthulun. 

Poor Mei-Lin. I keep waiting for her to just start wailing on people.

I liked this episode a lot.

It was good to get some backstory on Ahmad. I guess he has been formulating his revenge plot against the Khan for a long time. I do like his relationship with Empress Chabi, though. I was kind of annoyed with Ahmad for lashing out at Mei-Lin. I mean, she's a prisoner; she's not exactly in a position to refuse the Khan.

I feel some type of way about the return of the real Blue Princess. Curious to see where that goes. I've felt for a while that Faux Kokochin is not long for this show.

Seeing Michelle Yeoh on this show makes me so happy. Absolutely loved the dance between Lotus and Hundred Eyes.

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I definitely took it that the prostitute was suppose to be Ahmad's mom.  It was just to much of a coincident for her to say that she lost a husband and son, when there really wasn't any need to.  And I thought she said that the lullaby she was humming was made by her, so if she wasn't, then how would have Ahmad's mom heard of it?  So, I'm thinking that she was his mom and that made him go nuts and kill her, and jumpstart his revenge against Kublai.

I think it just went to show that Ahmed may have made up some of the circumstances because he took part of his story from this prostitute.  Which just goes to show how crazy Ahmed is.  I don't think its impossible that the prostitute was Ahmed's mom, it just seems implausible.

Why would this woman think her son is dead if he isn't?  Her husband died, right?  So, she got part of it right -- presumably because the Khan's army stormed the area and went around killing everyone.  Killing the males and enslaving the females.  So, I would think that she would have seen what happened to her son to know that he is dead.  I would also think that the entire force moves from the area at one time.  I don't see the logic in dragging prisoners in waves.  So, if the army is leaving the village on the same day at the same time with all the prisoners, wouldn't they leave with the mother AND her son if he was alive?  So, the mother would know if the son was alive because she should be able to see them as they are all travelling together.

Edited by RCharter
On 7/3/2016 at 6:17 AM, benteen said:

Its interesting -- I was watching a documentary on Marco Polo and it makes me like this show even more.

Apparently, Marco's actual story included very little about himself, and his personal feelings, in fact there wasn't even a picture of depiction of him in all the stories he told.  His story was all about the much more interesting characters he met along his journey.  And I feel like the series gives us that feeling.  The characters that Marco meets are much more richly developed than he is.

• Love 3