Type keyword(s) to search

Season 19 (Chris) Anticipation Thread

• Start Topic

A place to discuss and speculate about Chris' upcoming season without spoilers.

I'll start it off with speculation about what title the producers are going to go with, in the tradition of The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love (Jake) and The Bachelor: An Officer and a Gentleman (Andy).

I still think "The Bachelor: Down on the Farm" is a good possibility, but it's not a song title so doesn't come with a built-in anthem like the other two.  "The Bachelor: Farmer Takes a Wife" comes with its own tune,  but I can't see them going there (plus, I think FTaW was already the name of a reality series, wasn't it?)

So, anyone else have nominations for either title or theme song?

I don't know how entertaining Chris will be for the audience, but I'm glad that the show went back to a conventionally desirable man as the lead. With Jason, Jake, Ben, and Juan Pablo, of the average looks, questionable "careers", and in some cases, children by other women, I found it very hard to believe that any number of women would fight over them, so it felt like all the women were either "there for the wrong reasons" or Stockholmed. Chris at least is handsome, financially successful, and baggage-free, so I don't have to suspend my disbelief too much that several women would be interested in him.

Title ideas:

The Bachelor: A Roll in the Hay.  Of course it's probably a title better suited for something like BIP since the producers still want people to think the Bachelor is really there to find a wife and not just go to exotic places and make out with hot girls.  lol

Here's another idea:

The Bachelor: Cultivating Love.

I still think "The Bachelor: Down on the Farm" is a good possibility, but it's not a song title so doesn't come with a built-in anthem like the other two.  "The Bachelor: Farmer Takes a Wife" comes with its own tune,  but I can't see them going there (plus, I think FTaW was already the name of a reality series, wasn't it?)

Actually there's a song by Tim McGraw's called 'Down on the Farm'

Theme Song idea:

'She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy' by Kenny Chesney.

Edited by Ablackout
  • Love 2

The Bachelor: Plowing the Back Forty

Besides the common acreage and sex references, I once saw this phrase used by a Michigander to mean someone who's wasting my time, which could potentially describe Chris as seen on TB...has anyone heard of the phrase used in that context?

The Bachelor: Plowing the Back Forty

Besides the common acreage and sex references, I once saw this phrase used by a Michigander to mean someone who's wasting my time, which could potentially describe Chris as seen on TB...has anyone heard of the phrase used in that context?

I haven't and I am from Michigan.  Probably just a new slang definition for the term not relative to any area. 

Most if not all of the women for this season are posted.  I saw them on another board and they probably got them from Reality Steve.  It is too early for me to be interested in them. 

I have a hard time believing that Chris will find lasting love living in a town of 458 people 2hrs and 45 mins from the airport in Des Moines.  Not to say there aren't plenty of women who live rurally and love it.  They probably don't apply to be on this show. 

I know nothing about Chris, he was very much wallpaper with a bad hair cut last season. 

Most if not all of the women for this season are posted.  I saw them on another board and they probably got them from Reality Steve.  It is too early for me to be interested in them.

I have a hard time believing that Chris will find lasting love living in a town of 458 people 2hrs and 45 mins from the airport in Des Moines.  Not to say there aren't plenty of women who live rurally and love it.  They probably don't apply to be on this show.

I know nothing about Chris, he was very much wallpaper with a bad hair cut last season.

Edited by Rhondinella
formatting

Had to laugh at the "Prince Farming" promo. Ugh, I'm not sure I can stand the typical 25 claws-out weepy witches that all seem rather interchangeable. And Chris holds no appeal to me, so there's that. :p

Chris holds no appeal for me either and that may be due to lack of exposure.  We saw very little of him last season.  I say bring on the weepy, the claws and the drama!  At the very least we will have something to watch.  How many private concerts and stilted dinner conversations can we tolerate?  

I thought Chris was very boring. However, that's the beauty of this show: The contestants bring the drama! Here's to the Wrong Reasons! (Cheers! or YOPO!) I cannot wait to go on this journey with you all! The Bachelor franchise boards are my absolute favorite on this site! When is it premiering?

• Love 1

As usual, it will premiere the first Monday in January.  In this case, Jan. 5.

By that time I'll have already broken at least a dozen resolutions so I should be able to watch guilt free......

• Love 7

I doubt I will watch this season faithfully because Chris comes across as a total bore to me but I saw all the promos during the DWTS season and are they seriously going with this Prince Farming tag? No really...seriously? I expected some corny "The Farmer Takes A Wife" but Prince Farming? I know the show is hokey and cheesy as all hell but it's like they're not even trying with this one and basically saying "yeah this is entire thing is completely stupid and we get that..."

• Love 2

And just as I thought the contestants' job titles couldn't get any more ridiculous, along comes Cadaver Tissue Saleswoman.

haha... that one's pretty bad. Although it just occurred to me that I've actually met a cadaver tissue salesperson once. How odd. I still think "pantsapreneur" may be worse, but just barely.

Here is the link that will take you to all of them. 

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelor/cast

They don't ask everyone what they would do if they won the lottery.  On the few I have read, their responses are immature and that is to be expected in your 20s, I suppose.  Ashley said, buy a room on a cruise ship so she could use it anytime.   Oh good god.  Others mentioned giving a "ton" to charity.   Hopefully if this happens to them, someone will say get a financial adviser first thing!  

• Love 1

I found the website for Chris' women too tedious to make it all the way through. Click on a face, read her bio, click back to main page, click on a face, read her bio, click back to main page, ad infinitum. One theme that carried through, however, is nearly all of the women are afraid of getting diarrhea on a date. I've had hundreds of dates and that has never entered my mind. But I guess it explains why no one ever eats their meals on those dates. I'm always fascinated by the full plates left on the tables, even during the home-town visits.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I found the website for Chris' women too tedious to make it all the way through. Click on a face, read her bio, click back to main page, click on a face, read her bio, click back to main page, ad infinitum.

Click with the wheel on your mouse (or click while holding Control or Command) to open in a new tab. That's the only way to get through poorly designed pages like that.

Thanks Bugs. That works. Before, those sites had arrows to click to go on to the next contestant. Maybe ABC doesn't care enough who Chris will be dating to make a user-friendly website.

ETA: Okay, so I read all the bios. I got a laugh that several said this: "If I never got to eat, I would be very sad." I don't believe any of those deep thinkers realized if they never got to eat, they would be very dead.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

I found the website for Chris' women too tedious to make it all the way through. Click on a face, read her bio, click back to main page, click on a face, read her bio, click back to main page, ad infinitum. One theme that carried through, however, is nearly all of the women are afraid of getting diarrhea on a date. I've had hundreds of dates and that has never entered my mind. But I guess it explains why no one ever eats their meals on those dates. I'm always fascinated by the full plates left on the tables, even during the home-town visits.

They feed them before they go on a dinner date, which is often filmed out of sequence anyway and not at meal time.  The dinners we see are often cold and definitely for show..  

The dinners we see are often cold and definitely for show..

I thought I read somewhere that production people got to eat leftovers after filming. Of course, all dinners would be starkly cold and gelatinous by then. But free food for people getting not a huge salary ... sweet!

Bunky1412, a lot of those bios had so much ... well, so much brainlessness. Your quote about the most romantic gift coming from a creep was one of the priceless ones. I also thought SO many of the women were short, 5 ft. 4 in. was about average. A couple were 5-10 or 11. But the majority were really short for Chris at 6 ft. 1. But maybe he asked for shorties. He'll have to put a booster seat in the combines if he expects help during harvest.

I also thought SO many of the women were short, 5 ft. 4 in. was about average.

I've always considered that THE average, meaning for all women. (Just looked it up; it is.) I'm 6-foot-even and it's not like I have to crouch to make eye contact. Point being, he probably did ask for blondes but didn't say anything about height.

I still can't get over the fact that I laugh hysterically every time "cadaver tissue sales person" is stated online or on TV. I think it's because I've met one (for a receding gum thing) and ended up opting for the cadaver tissue. I guess she was a good salesperson? No matter who wins or loses this season I think I'll always have it in my head as the "farmer" and "cadaver tissue lady."

• Love 1

JenE4 said: 

I thought Chris was very boring. However, that's the beauty of this show: The contestants bring the drama! Here's to the Wrong Reasons! (Cheers! or YOPO!) I cannot wait to go on this journey with you all! The Bachelor franchise boards are my absolute favorite on this site!

ME TOO! The comments here make the show for me, and I like how we upvote each other and comment on each other's posts so my rose goes out to all you ladies (and gentlemen?). Chris does nothing for me (putting on my flame proof suit to say I think his face is homely).  But as another WRV (wrong reasons viewer) I think this season has the potential for a lot of snark material. YOPO!

• Love 1

I know this question is irrelevant but I got to ask something I always wondered about; All the people who go to the show "for the wrong reasons" like getting some "fame" and using it for their jobs, do these people ever use this fame in real life? I mean, do men get more dates for being jerks on national television or do women findwhat they are looking for from screwing in the ocean and so on?

Is there a thread for Bachelor in Paradise? I surely want to read your comments :P

I still can't get over the fact that I laugh hysterically every time "cadaver tissue sales person" is stated online or on TV. I think it's because I've met one (for a receding gum thing) and ended up opting for the cadaver tissue. I guess she was a good salesperson? No matter who wins or loses this season I think I'll always have it in my head as the "farmer" and "cadaver tissue lady."

Now I want to know what you did with a dead person's receding gums. I'm just going to assume you're a dentist or oral surgeon. Although if you're not, you would be a prime candidate for one of the most talked-about hometown dates: "And right over here on the mantel is some cadaver gums."

I've always considered that THE average, meaning for all women. (Just looked it up; it is.) I'm 6-foot-even and it's not like I have to crouch to make eye contact. Point being, he probably did ask for blondes but didn't say anything about height.

I'll bet he did request a shorter woman. It's my feeling that men who cannot date women as tall or taller than them fall into the same category as men who will not date a woman the same age or older, even by one year. It's threatening.

I'm 5'10" and have been criticized for "not fitting under my arm" by dates. And when one guy I dated found out I was older than he, his entire demeanor changed. I dropped him like a hot rock.

I've always consider 5'6" to be average height for a woman. Who knew?

Side note! I turned on the Rose Parade (ABC) yesterday and right there, first thing, was THE BACHELOR float with both Chrises on it, waving to the crowds. Announcer said Chris Soule's family sent corn husks to be included on the float. I've never seen a TV show have a Rose Parade float before, not that I watch it every year. Plus I wonder if the NBC coverage skipped that float?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Now I want to know what you did with a dead person's receding gums. I'm just going to assume you're a dentist or oral surgeon. Although if you're not, you would be a prime candidate for one of the most talked-about hometown dates: "And right over here on the mantel is some cadaver gums."

ha... no, I'm just a patient who had receding gums on a few teeth. When I got my gums fixed (by a professional oral surgeon), they used cadaver tissue to fix it. I had my choice of a gum graft with cadaver tissue or with tissue "harvested" from the roof of my mouth, which they told me would be much more painful and take months to heal. The cadaver tissue on the other hand worked well and only took a few days to heal. Also cheaper, believe it or not. I guess there is some process they go through to refine the tissue. They showed me a sample - it was super thin/tiny and transparent, like half the thickness of a piece of tissue paper if that. And now you know more than you ever wanted to about cadaver tissue sales....hehe. And yes, what a hometown date that could be!  The person I met really did pull the sample out of a briefcase looking thing.

• Love 2
And yes, what a hometown date that could be!

I'm having flashbacks to the Brad 2.0 hometown date with funeral director Shawntel, where she had him lie on an enbalming table and explained how she would drain his blood. Good times!

• Love 1

whirlingdervish, thanks for posting that Grantland interview--I like hearing about behind the scenes stuff, and Chris seems articulate compared to guys who grunt a few words attempting to express themselves. I don't find Chris physically appealing but his radio voice was nice. :) Maybe he'll grow on me as the season progresses, his humor and personality could negate an awful smile and bad haircut.

Bo is described as a plus-size model from CA--what do you all think, a size 6? ha

I know this question is irrelevant but I got to ask something I always wondered about; All the people who go to the show "for the wrong reasons" like getting some "fame" and using it for their jobs, do these people ever use this fame in real life? I mean, do men get more dates for being jerks on national television or do women findwhat they are looking for from screwing in the ocean and so on?

Is there a thread for Bachelor in Paradise? I surely want to read your comments :P

The Bachelor in Paradise forum can be found here.

I'm seeing commercials for the upcoming season. Scenes show Angus cattle and Chris hauling around straw bales. I'm going to hate this season. I'm a farm person, I live in the middle of the heartland of farm country and my neighbors are all farmers. From what I saw on his hometown in Andi's season, Chris's farm operation is grain only, no livestock, which means no cattle, no scooping, no straw bales. There wasn't even a DOG on the place for pete's sake.

Plus, modern-day farmers don't "scoop poop" by hand any more, everyone uses a skid with bucket attachment. Cattle not at pasture on on a cement feedlot. Only horse stalls are cleaned by hand with pitchfork and wheelbarrow.

While I liked Chris during Andi's season, even if he was wooden and awkward, he has a TERRIBLE irritating laugh. I know I'm in for this season but I am prepared to hate it like no other.

• Love 1
I know this question is irrelevant but I got to ask something I always wondered about; All the people who go to the show "for the wrong reasons" like getting some "fame" and using it for their jobs, do these people ever use this fame in real life? I mean, do men get more dates for being jerks on national television or do women find what they are looking for from screwing in the ocean and so on?

A few people have translated their Bachelor/ette appearance into another 15 min of fame by going on Dancing with the Stars, or getting some kind of (usually short-lived) media job (reporting, hosting, etc).  But for the most part, no.  They don't get super famous off of this show.  However, if Reality Steve is to be believed, it appears that the former contestants on the show form something of a "family" or an in-group that hangs out together, has parties periodically, and, importantly, hooking up with each other.  RS in fact claims that some men come on the show only because they know when they are done they'll have "access" to the women who've been on the series. 

• Love 3

However, if Reality Steve is to be believed, it appears that the former contestants on the show form something of a "family" or an in-group that hangs out together, has parties periodically, and, importantly, hooking up with each other.

Oh, that's not in question. The show has aired segments on Bachelor reunions taking place all over the country.

Ali landed a spot as a host on E! News.  Bob Guiney shows up on Today for a panel of men who answer questions from women.  Jesse Palmer is a host of some show I just watched and forgot. I think career boosts happen but who knows for how long.  I think Ben and Firestone's wineries benefited from the exposure.  Travis landed a sweet spot on The Doctors.  There are opportunities that can happen, for sure. 

JenE4 said: 

ME TOO! The comments here make the show for me, and I like how we upvote each other and comment on each other's posts so my rose goes out to all you ladies (and gentlemen?). Chris does nothing for me (putting on my flame proof suit to say I think his face is homely).  But as another WRV (wrong reasons viewer) I think this season has the potential for a lot of snark material. YOPO!

I have no clue what YOPO means but I am here to snark.  Chris does nothing for me either.  This show has always been boring without message board involvement so I will be here.  

• Love 2

YOPO= You Only Paradise Once. The acronym came from Bachelor in Paradise as a play on YOLO (You Only Live Once). I can't remember if they said it during the show or if someone in the forum thought it up.

• Love 1

There are opportunities that can happen, for sure.

Like Ari hooking up with Courtney.

YOPO= You Only Paradise Once. The acronym came from Bachelor in Paradise as a play on YOLO (You Only Live Once). I can't remember if they said it during the show or if someone in the forum thought it up.

That was the catch phrase on Bachelor in Paradise. Yes, I'm in this Bachelor franchise in all ways, even if my reasons are all wrong. Which, I guess if we keep with tradition, is the right reason!

Travis landed a sweet spot on The Doctors.

Was Travis from TB or Survivor?

Don't forget the memorable Bachelor episode of Wipe Out that TB and TB-ette participants got to be on! Plus Chris S. got to lead a steer in the Iowa State Fair celebrity steer auction, so there's that, too. Free admission to the Des Moines fair and getting to be on Iowa PBS!

Edited by saber5055

Was Travis from TB or Survivor?

He was the eighth Bachelor. His season was "The Bachelor in Paris", which I guess was a better theme than "Paging Dr. Bachelor! It's a Love Emergency!", which was probably the runner-up theme.

And I don't watch much college football but I've seen Jesse Palmer on the ESPN coverage a few times. He seems to do all right on it.

Jesse Palmer remains, imo, one of the worst bachelors of all time (boring, plus, I don't think you need to propose, but that "one way ticket to come visit me"...yikes!!!) But if he parlayed it into an ESPN gig, can't blame him for that. Didn't Melissa Rykroft also get a tv job out of this? I think the "hookup" thing motivates a lot more of these people (esp the guys) than we know. (The women, more bizarrely, usually seem to be there because they think this man is the love of their life. Frankly, "looking for good future hookup opportunities" make a lot more sense!) 

I predict that at least 10 women will think they are "madly in love with" Chris on the first night. It is too soon to be the Stockholm Syndrome, but there must be -some- name for it! It is always so strange (and sad that it doesn't seem to be equally true for the guys--TB-ettes really seem to have to work a lot harder than TBs do to get those "love connections").

Edited by Padma

Bachelorette Jillian Harris has done very well for herself since her show. She got a spot on Extreme Home Makeover with Ty Pennington (think that was his name) and then after that she got her own show Love It or List It Vancouver which airs regularly on both HGTV Canada and in the US. She's quite a well known celebrity in Vancouver, Kelowna and other parts of Canada doing various other gigs too, usually decorating related.

• Love 1