Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

Red told Rob earlier today that he met his wife at a party he was giving when he was in college and she was in high school.  Red said he had 6 other girlfriends at the time, "one for each day of the week. And they all knew about each other."  I think I was more surprised to hear that Red went to college than I was to hear he had 7 girlfriends.  His wife is very sweet and cute but she whispers a lot and has a child-like voice so its hard for me to hear/understand her and my feed sound keeps going in and out but Red has her and his son convinced that he is the "hero" of Utopia and pretty much takes care of everyone else.  Apparently his wife and son are doing the jobs at home that Red would be doing, although they have a crew that works for them.  The son is a senior in high school and works in the evenings on the job sites.  Red told them to sell something if they needed to, in order to pay the crew and have money to live on.   His wife and son told Red they've been watching him on TV and the live feeds but that his wife can't watch very often because it makes her sad and makes her miss him too much.

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 5

I may have missed it due to cooking dinner, but did Red give his wife a swig of something?  It seems like all of a sudden her speech is really jumbled and slurred.... IDK, any thoughts?

I wondered the SAME THING!  But all I've seen her drink so far is Tang, and she didn't smoke anything that he offered.  

• Love 1

If Red's wife has been watching the feeds (or, better, sites like this), shouldn't she be filling him in on the crap going down with various and sundry (Bri, Aaron, pick a name)?  And shouldn't  WE be hearing less about how isolated these people are?

ETA: can't wait for Dede's "family" to show up.

Edited by CaptainCurmudgeon
  • Love 2

Just checked out Jennifer VanWinkle's Facebook page--she says she "works at being an activist for marijuana legalization."  Guess that answers our question, GaJenn!  lol

All of the pix of Red on her FB page show him without teeth--I guess he really doesn't have any.

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 4

From updates on Jokers, it sounds like production is really giving in to all of Red's demands so he won't quit:

• Red appears to have had near daily contact with his wife while in the DR, probably by message, because he complained there were a few days she didn't respond (but blamed it on production problems)
  • Production is helping Red's wife out with expenses, bought her nice clothes for the family scene when Red entered the Utopia compound
  • Sounds like they are strapped for cash at home, because Red told his wife to sell stuff if she needed to go shopping (which basically means that production paid for the flight out)
  • I thought family visits were limited to 6 hours at a time, but it looks like Jennifer (Red's wife) and Jacob (Red's son) are going to be there for 24 hours
  • What happens if Red's family decides to stay ?  Jennifer/Jacob indicated that they had to stay in sequester for a time (I wonder how long ?) because they wouldn't do that if it was just a visit like the vets or the midwife or Farmer Lefty.

Are all the 'pioneers' getting the same treatment as Red ?  Somehow I doubt it so now they will all start threatening to quit on a daily basis.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

It sounds like there are two sets of rules..............................

BTW, Red was saying something on the live feed to his wife about having trouble with his ears and "they" wouldn't do anything about it, even though "they" were taking the others to Venice Beach to get drunk at night.  I thought they were sequestered from each other?  I'm confused as well.

• Love 2

I think it's clear by now that they're making it up as they go along.

People call in, people call out, productions calls people to talk to, people are *always* going to production to complain.  Strange people on set all of the time.

Even though the "pioneers" said Hex, then Bri, production has decided Hex, then Bella.

o Because Bella is thinking of bailing?

o Because Bri is planning to blow the whole thing up once she gets in charge?

I have to wonder if this whole show isn't revenge for the show runner's having had to spend ten years of his youth at a hippie commune.  Get to get 50 Million to help you give the finger to your parents!

Edited by CaptainCurmudgeon
  • Love 9

What is the DR?

Sorry if this is obvious or common knowledge; I'll claim befuddlement by Red's family overall appeal.

In Big Brother Speak, DR is the Diary Room where the guests talk to production individually and away from everyone else.

The equivalent in Utopia is the Transmission Room behind the barn, typing DR is just easier.  I suppose we could shorten it to TR, but nobody knows what that means really, since we never see the Transmission Room.

This show is an absolute joke.

Yes, a joke I can't quit watching (much to my dismay)!  

Was anyone else watching this afternoon when the midwife was there?  One of the girls was saying she has helped with birthing 4 babies--I think it was Bri but I'm hoping it was Dr. Nikki (the camera was focused on something else and the speakers were going in and out).  

• Love 2

Yes, a joke I can't quit watching (much to my dismay)!  

Was anyone else watching this afternoon when the midwife was there?  One of the girls was saying she has helped with birthing 4 babies--I think it was Bri but I'm hoping it was Dr. Nikki (the camera was focused on something else and the speakers were going in and out).  

Nope, you're right, it was Bri.... LOL! 

Sometimes I think Aaron talks really fast not just to try to spin everyone to believe his BS, but also because he's in love with the sound of his own voice. Also I find myself wondering if he considers himself a sexist since he feels women are unfit for the front lines since Josh is a racist by his logic.

Edited by vhakra
  • Love 3

Bri is a straight up pathological liar. I don't give a single word that comes out of her mouth any credence.

She claims she has aspirations of being a vet? By the time my best friend (whom I attended university with) was her age, she had not only completed her core science requirements but had been accepted to Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine. I toughed it out through chem, physics and orgo alongside her as a premed undergrad. Then she had another four years of veterinary school with specialty rotations which was intense. Bri hasn't even attended an accredited four year college... I really don't see her "love" of animals being an impetus to buckle down and summon the determination to go through all of that.

• Love 7

Bri is a straight up pathological liar. I don't give a single word that comes out of her mouth any credence.

She claims she has aspirations of being a vet? By the time my best friend (whom I attended university with) was her age, she had not only completed her core science requirements but had been accepted to Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine. I toughed it out through chem, physics and orgo alongside her as a premed undergrad. Then she had another four years of veterinary school with specialty rotations which was intense. Bri hasn't even attended an accredited four year college... I really don't see her "love" of animals being an impetus to buckle down and summon the determination to go through all of that.

I had two years of pre reqs before I could even apply for nursing school!  One year at community college doesn't do it for vet school.  If she helped deliver babies, I would assume they were her HS friends that were/are as loose as she is and she just attended their birth because she was friends with them.  Holding your friends hand during birth, doesn't qualify as helping deliver a baby.....

• Love 4

Noooooooooo!  My gosh, is there anything [bri] hasn't done in her short 20 years?

Let's see here:

• Feed the chickens and clean their coop
  • Feed and milk the cows and clean the barn
  • Actually, any physical labor at all
  • Tell the truth
  • Put someone else's needs before her own

Ah, you know, I'll be here all day if I start now...

• Love 10

Yes, I was referring to the actress.

Butterfly McQueen was a fascinating and accomplished woman who as a Negro actress in the mid-20th century seldom found work that ventured beyond racial stereotypes. I have no doubt that if she could be in attendance at the birth of Amanda's baby, she would provide assistance that Bri and Prissy, the character she played, could not.

• Love 2

Mike's voodoo dolls are going to be put to good use.

Bella is a loon and would make me stabby in no time, but she's setting herself up for a hard landing since most of the women are coming across pretty unpleasant.

She's giving preppers a bad rap.

Bri - you are pretty but not pretty enough to be as horrid as you are. I am hoping you are some dim witted fame whore playing it up for screen time in a misguided attempt to achieve some level of celebrity.

• Love 1

I'm beginning to think that Red is productions stooge and that he will do whatever they tell him.  He is clearly smart enough to pursue the whole "reality" tv genre and play the game.

Apparently he is also smart enough to go to college if the info above is correct.

The guy is a production plant sent in to "keep it interesting".

• Love 2
The guy is a production plant sent in to "keep it interesting".

Kind of like "huntress" "Hex" -- because she's neither a huntress nor is her name Hex.

Red's name is Arthur Van Winkle

"Bella" isn't Bella's name either.

Maybe they are all plants -- wouldn't surprise me in the least.

• Love 4

Maybe this is a new season of The Joe Schmo Show.  Except we are "Joe" and they're all actors convincing us this is a real show.

There'd be more likable people if this was scripted for us. They went full tilt extreme on all the casting to make sure there'd be drama and they forgot to give us some normal people to relate to along the way. Any halfway decent writer would have tossed some everyman and everywoman types in there to give a point of view.

• Love 5

From updates on Jokers, it sounds like production is really giving in to all of Red's demands so he won't quit:

• Production is helping Red's wife out with expenses, bought her nice clothes for the family scene when Red entered the Utopia compound
  • Sounds like they are strapped for cash at home, because Red told his wife to sell stuff if she needed to go shopping (which basically means that production paid for the flight out)
  • I thought family visits were limited to 6 hours at a time, but it looks like Jennifer (Red's wife) and Jacob (Red's son) are going to be there for 24 hours
  • What happens if Red's family decides to stay ?  Jennifer/Jacob indicated that they had to stay in sequester for a time (I wonder how long ?) because they wouldn't do that if it was just a visit like the vets or the midwife or Farmer Lefty.

I don't know the rules in Utopia US but in the Netherlands the Utopians get a fee for their rent and so on.

Family and visitors get a time table. If they stay to long, they call one of the Utopians to the diary room where they give them instructions. If that doesn't help they send security and the viewer get a streamlock.

• Love 1

10:45 - 11:15am

Bella calls a meeting. In attendance: Bri, Nikki, Kristen, Rob, Taylor, Dede, Amanda, Hex. Thinks they are doing well under current rule (run by women). Wants to show America good example of women leaders.

Brought up situation of "someone" this morning (Bri) was supposed to show them different types of hay but she slept in. Bella wants to handle this with love and sharing. Women sit in circle and discuss their feelings about this.

Hex upset to be chastized by Bri for using the food hay for sleeping purposes. They just didn't know. Would appreciate being told in a respectful way rather than be put on blast in front of group last night. Taylor feels the same. Says they are working hard to take care of animals. Wanted Bri to wake up as promised and show them the hay this morning. Understands people go back to sleep, he does too, but important to keep your meetings if time was set.

Bri apologizes for sleeping in. Says she is a deep sleeper. Didn't intend to shirk responsibilities. Appreciates their hard work in the barn.

Bella pleased this situation was resolved peacefully. No one needs to beat up anyone else over mistakes. Everyone was heard.

Apparently there was a conflict with Red this morning. Rob wants to see if their conflict resolution will work with him. Bella says there are some people where this won't work. Group will work on issue with Red later.

Everyone hugs.

Guys leave and goddess circle continues meeting.

Bri says she feels nauseous, not feeling well. She started on the pill again. Her period started so partially why she had issues waking up.

Bella: thank you for sharing that. My utopia is women supporting each other, and to do that, we must communicate with each other.

Dede will talk with Red, wants Hex and Nikki to be with her. Goal is to let him know she will redo sign-up sheet, hope he will respect the work put into their systems in place. Red had destroyed something in the kitchen this morning, frustrated.

Hex: I want to convey to Red, we want us all to thrive, we are unified, not people doing their own thing. Taking down the chore chart takes us back to where we were.

Bella: I want everyone to feel part of the group, as a collective community, not meant to make Red a target for being voted off.

Amanda: I feel Red was provoked. I witnessed back and forth. As leader, you (Bella) have to take the high road. I witnessed a man upset about something, not the water filter, not the days of the week, but something was changed and it wasn't discussed.

Bella: I did walk away, he followed me into the barn. He was threatening me, threatened to break the water filter and my stuff. I told him to back off. I did not provoke him. I got scared. Then he tore things off the refrigerator.

Bri: Why were you (Bella) upset and what did you say to Red?

Bella: I was talking about you sleeping in. I said to Red,"Bri got up just in time for breakfast." This is not a good example for the women.

Bri: Red thought you were targeting me by saying that.

Bella: We have resolved it and we don't need to rehash it.

Bri: Red was just trying to be protective.

Discuss Dede meeting with him before the business meeting so he's receptive, otherwise might try to disrupt business meeting.

Red seems to bristle under Bella's leadership. Bella speculates it is due to how he was raised. The others don't agree. They don't know how he was raised. Bella doesn't want to be seen as picking on Red. Wants them to see that it is often Red picking on her. Feels she has a good heart and is just trying to run things smoothly as leader.

Edited by corgi shieldmaiden
  • Love 6

11:30am 

Bri taking a walk with Chris. Telling him about drama this morning. Hex had tried to wake her but Bri didn't get up, was too tired.

TMI warning--

Bri telling him her period started this morning and it wasn't even red, but "dark dark brown" due to hormone imbalance.

Chris: That doesn't mean you are pregnant, does it?

Bri: No

Then talking about Nikki recommended "pulling it" but Bri wants to "ride through it." 

Bri being vague here, but it sounds like Nikki had said to Bri, don't count on the pill working instantly and Bri should use a 2nd method of birth control...?

Chris: You might want to go talk to a real doctor, asap today.

• Love 5

11:30am 

Bri taking a walk with Chris. Telling him about drama this morning. Hex had tried to wake her but Bri didn't get up, was too tired.

TMI warning--

Bri telling him her period started this morning and it wasn't even red, but "dark dark brown" due to hormone imbalance.

Chris: That doesn't mean you are pregnant, does it?

Bri: No

Then talking about Nikki recommended "pulling it" but Bri wants to "ride through it." 

Bri being vague here, but it sounds like Nikki had said to Bri, don't count on the pill working instantly and Bri should use a 2nd method of birth control...?

Chris: You might want to go talk to a real doctor, asap today.

OMG!!! I wonder if she is pregnant....Chris will crap his pants

• Love 3

No recap from me today.  I think I have a computer virus, as various things are acting up.  Should have figured it out when my Bejeweled game died (I know it's old, but we like it.)   I write my recaps on Notepad and I've discovered that anything I write on that disappears once I leave it.  Problems with my sound card and Instant Messenger too.  I hope I can still post here, or read here, but I think I'll be out of the game until my IT kid gets here on Monday to look over the problem.  In the meantime, follow what Andyourlittledog2 and corgi shieldmaiden have to say.  And others should also join in, get a nice rounded idea of what's happening.  I have my favorites, as do others, and a well rounded discussion is what this thread is all about.  Hope to see you all soon!

ETA, yea!  I can still edit.  Kind of scared to shut my computer down, but that's what the kid with the degree says to do. 

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 10

So finally Bella says Bri didn't give her a kotex one morning

Doesn't Bella know Kotex causes cervical cancer?!?!  Bri was only thinking of her health! 

I admire Bri for refusing to let Bella wriggle out of the conversation

I agree, and now the world really has turned upside down.

Bella's Utopia is her way or else. But in a loving, sometimes weeping, goddessy way.  I hate people like that.

Which is why Bella needed to retreat to a continously broadcast show to escape the harsh harsh haters in the world.  She should have tried Utopia: Antartica.

Zahdii - eek!  Sorry your system is illin'.  And I spend way too much time playing Bejeweled too.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5

So I caved, and in a fit of boredom I paid for the premium feeds last night.  I tuned in at about 9:30 their time.

As Aaron and Kristen were hogging up two cameras with boring, the rest of the Utopians were slowly putting together the whole food theft and embezzlement scheme.  They seemed pretty set on voting out Aaron first, and Red threatened that if Aaron is not decided on unanimously (obviously he doesn't realize that Aaron and Kristen have a vote - it won't be unanimous), that no one should ever ask Red to do a single thing for them again.

That went on at length, and at no point did I ever see Bri and Chris.  Eventually everyone settled in to sleep.  I'm new, so don't know the sleeping arrangements.  No sexy times or nudity. Taylor and Hex cuddled some, but then she seemed to get up and go elsewhere.  Chris and Bri cuddled at length and talked endlessly.  If he is not interested in her, he is sending the wrong signal.  He actually fell asleep on her chest while she cuddled him like a child and rubbed his back..  Dede spent a great deal of time sitting on a log and talking to Josh.  At one point she leaned up against him and rested her head on his shoulder.  He didn't seem interested, maybe she's just super touchy-feely (or hyper-sexual would be my guess).  Finally, she tiptoed into the sleeping area, washed her face, and brushed her teeth for a loooooooong time.  I've never seen that done, not even in tooth brushing tutorials when I was a kid.  She settles somewhere - there seems to be a makeshift little tent, but I'm not sure if it's hers or if she shares it with Mike.

Aaron was in his little sleeping area, sitting up and leaning against the wall.  Kristen talked with him at length.  I do not know what they said.  Comically, after Kristen laid down, Aaron wrote a very long letter.  As he writes, the camera zooms in.  Someone on Jokers posted freeze frames.  Aaron is writing to his secret lady.  He tells her his bitter enemy is Nikki.  He praises Kristen, yet says she reminds him of some other girl and he only feels brotherly toward her.  Then he asks her to write him a very long letter and send a picture - one that he promises will not be seen on camera (written as the camera is zooming in on the letter).  Good to see production has a sense of humor.

ETA:  I wondered into a chat room on Jokers.  I didn't personally hear this, but they were talking about something Kristen had said which all but stated that she had some kind of hook-up/attempted hook-up in sequester.  Some thought Josh, some thought one of the other guys.  The consensus was that she was rejected. 

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 8

Thanks Redhead! I usually turn off my laptop about 7 Eastern time or so,  I usually miss all their evening and night stuff.  Kristen is not my favorite by far!  She's got shifty eyes like Aaron!

• Love 1