Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

Everyone, meet Taylor, 24, single construction worker from Nebraska.  Says he can hunt, cook, build, and landscape.  Enough skills to set a few people on edge, and cute to boot.  To learn more, go here:  http://www.utopiatv.com/participant/detail/34/taylor

9/11/2014  Thursday

5:00 AM
Hex is up and puts on camo to go hunting.  If only she knew, there are two deer standing right outside the door right now!  (Actually, she's been told by Production where she can and can't hunt - and she can't hunt within 200 yards of the Compound.)

She goes out to the fire and Red's there making breakfast for her!  I guess it's true that you have to get up pretty early in the morning to see Red being nice.

Right now, though, Red's giving Hex the perfect sendoff for an early morning hunting trip.  "Here, you go smoke a cigarette while I make your oatmeal.  Have some juice.  Put a banana in your pocket for later.  Here's some coffee, do you take creamer?  Here's your oatmeal.  I'm sorry I don't have any cinnamon for it, but would you like some raisons stirred into it?" 

Hex had been looking pretty nervous, but with Red fussing over her she relaxed and laughed a little.  Eating quickly, she thanks him and takes off with her coffee, and presumably a banana in her pocket.  ;)

After Hex leaves, Red sets about making his own breakfast.  He's working himself into another bad mood.  Muttering about having camera's everywhere and how he didn't expect that (WTF?)  He continues: "A good cook would have a breakfast time, a lunch time, and a dinner time.  None of this sleeping 'till whenever and having breakfast at noon."  "Bri's the 'expert' over there but she don't even know how to keep the danged animals fed and she won't listen to nobody."  He moves on the Bella "Don't know nothin'.  Just a danged Google farmer."

Exhausted, Red goes back to bed.

7:25
The cows are bellowing because it's way past their milking time and no one's come to their barn to care for them yet.  They're still wearing their halters, despite Farmer Lefty telling Bri that the halters need to stay off unless they're leaving the pen.  If PETA has to get involved, I hope Bri gets chastised on national TV and tossed out the gate.

Mike's up and unhappy to find that whoever was supposed to do dishes last night failed to do so (Nikkie).  Now he has to deal with crusted on food.

Almost 8.  Rob and Kristen are taking care of the cows.  Bri ordered the milking time to take place at 8 instead of 6:30.  I think she should have moved milking time back by stages, those cows must be terribly uncomfortable by now.

I see that the manure pile still hasn't been moved, nor has Bella's compost pile.  The flies are really thick there.

A plumber has arrived to install the gas line and hook it up.  They also need to swap out the stove they got earlier that they can't use.  The rest of the guys (sans Chris) are getting up to help.  Aaron decides that he'd help the most by starting breakfast instead.

Just before 9, Hex returns.  She didn't bag a deer.  She said she got to the blind too late, so had to try to stalk a deer.  She got close enough to a buck to actually draw her bow on him but realized she was too far away for a kill shot and the deer spooked and got away before she could close ground.

Rob is probably hungry and cranky at having to work in the hot sun with Josh and the plumber, but his bitter anger over the failed hunt was a bit much.  Rob?  If you know so much about hunting, why don't you get a deer tag and go try it yourself instead of mocking Hex behind her back.

Red is talking about making moonshine again and Kristen is right there agreeing with everything he says.  That's almost all Kristen does - agree with whomever is talking.

Nikkie wants to order more food and snacks, so she gets on the phone and asks for prices.

Bella's throwing a fit because she heard Hex talk about her hunting trip this morning.

The appliance man is here to switch out the stove.  They should be cooking with propane by tonight!

Chris and Bri are back in bed talking about how they're America's favorite couple.  Excuse me while I puke.  Strangely, Chris failed to mention to Bri that less than an hour ago he was asking Hex for advice on how to dump Bri.

Bella's watering her gardens - naked.  I don't know why I'm surprised, she did naked yoga on day two and the feeds didn't blur enough so people all over America now know what Bella's gynecologist sees during an exam.

Aaron has been complaining all morning and he's still at it.  Right now he's mad that people (Nikkie) are ordering food without clearing it with him and he's sick of the nudity.  He's thinking mostly of Nikkie when he's talking about the nudity, I really wish someone would suggest he track down Bella to confer about the progress of the garden.  He's really mad because Nikkie said that he wasn't cooking enough food for their large group.  She's right.  Now he's made it his mission to blame Nikkie for every bad thing that happens.  Kristen is right there telling him he's right.

Mike is doing laundry with Dede.  They're very close, you know.  Dede doesn't even mind that Mike keeps ogling Hex.

An electrician has arrived to fix a problem with the electrical box, the one that Red worked on.  I don't know how it passed inspection the first time if it already needs fixed.

The new gas line and propane tank just passed inspection, so good for that.

Chris is on the phone with a party planner.  Bri is looking for attention so she's standing in front of him flashing her privates at him.  Yuck!  Oh, and that cool party that Chris was hoping to earn $5,000 on?  It'll only cost $20,000 to set up.

1:30 PM - Dede's naked.  I hope she walks back and forth in front of Aaron for awhile because Aaron doesn't like nudity and I don't like Aaron.  Damn, he's sleeping.  Someone drop something heavy and wake him up.

Just after 2, they get the stove working.  Everyone is very excited.  Except Aaron.  I bet he's thinking that one of his excuses for not cooking every meal and for cooking bad food is about to disappear.

What do you know?  They have a propane fireplace for heat, and now it's working too!

Amanda and Nikkie are talking about Amanda's pregnancy, her midwife, and what Amanda plans to do after the baby is born.  Amanda says that Utopia is too dirty for a baby, so she's going to hold it and not let it touch the floor.  Personally, I don't think she'll need to worry about that, because I don't think she'll be there long after the baby is born.  The fact that she showed up with no baby supplies makes me wonder if she's hoping that the public will supply all her baby needs through gifts, and when she finds out that Production won't allow viewers to send gifts she'll book it out of there.

Just before 5, the group notices activity at the gate, they're wondering if new people are arriving.

For some stupid reason, Kristen is trying to get Aaron to go off on someone.  She's been listening to and cosigning his complaints all day and now she's started telling him that she'd love for him to tell people off.  She wants to know if she can barter with him to make that happen.

The new guy, Taylor, is finally through the gate and the reaction from the ladies is definitely favorable!  Hex and Dede are very impressed!  Taylor and Hex seem to have an immediate attraction to each other.  Bri is checking him out but I don't think he even realizes she's there.  Bella keeps trying to talk to him about her garden.  She's mentioned that she spent the day naked in the garden communing with the Nature Spirits.  Yeah Bella, that'll get his eyes off Hex.

Taylor is from Omaha, and has brought Omaha steaks for everyone!

Aaron is already hating on Taylor and is slamming him to Josh.

Red's taking Taylor on a tour of the Compound, trying to recruit him for the USF.

Dinner time.  Hobo soup and rosemary foccaccia bread.

Bri has decided that the animal barn needs cleaned and has asked for help.  In true fashion, she's standing around with a drink and letting everyone else do the work.  I think Taylor's trying to prove himself and everyone else is trying to impress Taylor.  Bella is wandering around looking disgruntled.

Taylor's interest in Hex has been noticed.  The rest of the guy's have been extra nice and even flirty with her.  There's definitely some manhoods being threatened tonight.

lol, even Red has stepped up.  He's watering Bella's garden!  Taylor has gotten on Bella's good side by mentioning how he loves compost.  Yeah, he's done his research.

Someone's ringing the bell at the gate?  The stable cleaning crew drops what they're doing and shoves the cows into their pen.  They forgot to take off the halters again, and they didn't give the cows their grain.  Those poor cows.

I don't even know if they did anything with the chickens today. 

Personal rant coming up:

Production says they had a vet look at the body of the chicken that died (presumably before Red claimed it for dinner) and the vet said it died of starvation.  The vet said that what happened was probably that the chicken had been bullied by the other chickens and kept away from the food.  I imagine that the chicken bullying started before the Utopians arrived because it would take more than two days to starve a chicken (I'm guessing).  I have seen that happen.  What you need to do is when you feed, you have to feed the bullied chicken separately and stand between them.  Over time a couple of the other chickens will try to join the one who is being fed apart.  If they play nice you don't interfere.  It only takes a couple of days before all the chickens mingle together and everything's fine.  But you have to watch them so this sort of stuff doesn't get out of control.  If Bella and Bri knew as much as they claimed about animals, that chicken would still be alive.  This is where the term 'pecking order' originated and conscientious chicken keepers keep that in mind.  http://poultrykeeper.com/keeping-chickens-faq/what-is-the-pecking-order%C2'> Starvation is a long process and not kind or pretty.  On that note...

They got another food delivery, and Dede opened the gate naked.  The delivery guy says that's the most exciting thing that's happened to him all day.  I bet!

The day winds down with Chris playing the guitar again.

Hex and Taylor are off sharing a cigarette.  Taylor told Red earlier during their tour that he doesn't smoke but he knows Hex does, so he's going to fake it because he came here with Hex in mind.

Eventually everyone's in bed except for Bri and Chris.  As they've done before, they're making themselves a private meal of Ramen with an egg they stole out of the chicken coop stirred in.  Yes, Bella was right, there is an egg thief among them.

Bri is complaining again about Josh.  She's insisting that he tried to rape Hex, and now her, on the first night.  Bri, shut up.  I now wonder if it wasn't just that Josh hid the peanut butter from you that has you all upset.  Do you feel like he's telling you what to do like a father or an employer would do?  Did you try to flirt with him and he ignored you?  So much hate.

They go to bed and if they tried to entertain the feedsters with another sex session, it thankfully wasn't shown.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 10

Zahdii - Watching these feeds is going to send you into therapy for PTSD.  But let me cosign your rant about the chicken!  If these poor animals, cows included, weren't in good shape to begin with, that is so wrong (on so many levels).  I don't give a damn about them (the Show/Production) giving pointy sticks to these subpar life forms with the inevitable blood letting that will occur, but putting these animals (which are clearly the higher life form intellectually speaking) in the care of incompetent caretakers is boiling my blood!

How is it possible that Josh, who started out as douchebag extraordinaire, is losing that sheen as we get additional exposure to these folk?

I don't know what you've got planned for tonight DeLurker, but count me out!

In Pog Form - In this case, I embrace the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.  If worse comes to worse, I'll plead the 5th.

• Love 1

Chris is on the phone with a party planner.  Bri is looking for attention so she's standing in front of him flashing her privates at him.  Yuck!  Oh, and that cool party that Chris was hoping to earn $5,000 on?  It'll only cost $20,000 to set up.

What the what?

Did I miss something here? I'd love to know the context behind that. They're somehow running outside business operations now?

I think Josh planned on coming in and being annoying for screen time but his behavior when drunk was a smack in his own face. He wisely decided that it would be best to tone down the antics and simply be a normal human. He has been very reasonable and responsive since the first day, a very different person, which is why I think he was initially playing a character and ditched that idea.

Red, Dave, and Bella really are as extreme as they come off, it is not an act.

Bri really is not interested in the animals and is killing any chance she has at becoming a vet. She is screwed if anyone on an acceptance committee sees this show. Her lack of knowledge is problematic but her unwillingness to listen to people who do know how to care for the animals is unforgivable. Her lack of interest in caring for the animals is appalling.

• Love 7

I was prepared to dislike Bri based on her "get my pick of the men" comments in her intro video. However, if she manages to speak about and work with livestock in an intelligent and realistic manner, she will become one of my favorite reality people ever.

I just had to quote myself to say, I take it all back!  Stupid witch needs to be gone from Utopia pronto. It would be one thing if she simply didn't know better, but she does, and just chooses not to do what she should. And then lying about it and ignoring the farmer who tried to help? So much hate.

If she is too busy stealing food and having hayloft sex to care for the animals she volunteered to care for, then pass the baton to someone else and let them have a shot. Maybe they'd actually listen to the farmer, and the vets, and try to do their best. At this point, those poor animals would be better off with a person who is ignorant but well-intentioned, rather than someone with knowledge who doesn't give a shit.

I'm a farm girl - a dairy farm girl, actually - and the way she's treating those cows is reprehensible. First of all, they need to be fed, fed a lot, and fed consistently. Cows need a bare minimum of nutrition to maintain their own bodies, and then they need nutrition above and beyond that to convert into milk. For every gallon of milk she produces, she needs a proportionate number of calories in her diet to off-set that. A cow will make milk, even if you're not feeding her enough. Biologically, she's feeding her "calf", so like any good mama, she'll give the "calf" what it needs at great cost to herself. Basically, she'll start shedding fat and converting that into milk, starving herself over time, and that's what we see here.

Also, cows need to be milked on a schedule. The most common is twice a day, 12 hours apart, but some people also milk one, three, or even four times a day. So how the schedule is lined out is not as important as keeping that schedule. Again, they're not that different from human mamas. Ask any nursing mom what it feels like the first time their kid sleeps through the night without waking up to eat. Yeah. Uncomfortable and downright painful. If they want to adjust their milking times to later in the day, it can be done, but it should be done gradually. Besides the physical aspects, cows are extremely regimented animals. They like their routines, and if you screw up their milking and feeding schedules, you upset them (which makes their milk production fall off for a few days, so these idiots are hurting themselves, too).

If animal activists show up banging at the gates, I'd love to see them joined by some sensible dairy farmers who take those two lovely girls away to a farm where they'll actually be cared for. I wonder who those cows belong to? No dairy farmer I know would allow their animals to be treated this way.

• Love 16

Ok all, I have had it with the treatment of the animals. It is taking away any enjoyment of snarking on the idiocy of the Utopians and the show. So I sent the following (not the best constructed letter because I did it quickly, but you get the idea) to the following places: The local  Santa Clarita TV station, TMZ,  the local SPCA, & PETA. I am still looking for a good email for FOX corporate. Generally PETA says that if an animal is in immediate danger, that one should call the local police. I may do that depending upon the feeds. 

http://scvtv.com/?page_id=12579

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/contact-peta/

http://ccspca.com/contact/

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/acc/?1dmy&page=dept.lac.acc.home.about-us.detail.hidden&urile=wcm%3apath%3a/animal+care+content/animal+care+site/home/about+us/animal+care+centers/ac+centers+links/castaic

"There is currently a reality television show being filmed in Santa Clarita, CA, called Utopia.  People all across the US have been watching the show and in particular the uncensored live feeds. The live feeds illustrate abject animal cruelty going on at the compound and this situation is starting an internet groundswell of outrage against Fox, the TV show participants, and the producers of the show. If you could investigate or put pressure on the producers/Fox , to at the very least,  do the right thing for the animals,  the viewers would really appreciate it. We don't know what to do to help the animals and the live feeds are showing the cows starving and none of the "Utopians" are willing to learn or help them.  The live feed viewers are up in arms about what they are seeing and are starting to organize to get the cruelty stopped.  Thank you for anything that you can do.  My Name" 

If anyone feels inclined you may use the links provided to also send an email or whatever. If anyone tweets (I don't have an account), perhaps tweeting at the show directly, PETA, or at any celebrity well known for their animal activism (Pam Anderson comes to mind, but there are many, many others) can help get it out there. If we can get one person to shed light on this, I think that we can save the animals and go back to enjoying the idiots do themselves in. I think a tweet with a very outrageous title might get this going in the right direction.  Here's to MY Utopia where animals are not harmed because of my abject arrogance and stupidity!

ETA: As a bizarre side note, they Utopia producers had casting tables at The Animal Rights National Convention this past July. See here: http://www.utopiatvcasting.com/events 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 12

Thank you Zahdii for these amazing recaps. Before I read them I was tricked by the tv show. I'm now horrified at Dave, Red, and especially the treatment of the cows. Worms in the stalls? Death by starvation? This is a train wreck. Those poor animals.

Worms in the stalls? Death by starvation? This is a train wreck. Those poor animals.

Not worms, maggots; but yes, the animal barn is a mess.  And although the chicken was probably starving before the Utopians move in, if the vet was right about what happened then Fox has a part in this matter also.  I agree that the animals aren't being treated the way they should, and I want it to stop NOW.

Those poor animals, indeed.  The Utopians may just be woken up soon to a hoard of angry people breaking in to liberate all those animals.  Or PETA might show up, I know they've been contacted about this matter.  Or maybe Production will simply take them all aside and scream at them about how they're screwing up a $50,000,000 investment and they'd better treat the animals better, followed with an angry drill sergeant type who bellows out orders, demands they take notes, and kicks their asses whenever they screw off when it comes to the animals (I'm fine with them screwing themselves over with their personal conduct).

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 4

Yup, me too Zandii. I emailed ALL of the network TV stations in LA as well. All we need is some intrepid reporter to get this going in the right direction. I don't use Facebook, but has anyone noticed if people are asking about the animals or is it just us? Does anyone frequent any other sites for this show?  PETA did have a direct hotline, but I wasn't certain if the situation fit the criteria. 

• Love 1

I don't know about what it takes to get the authorities involved.  I once had a neighbor who would tie their dogs up to a tree in their front yard and go off every weekend.  The dogs would get their chains wrapped up until they couldn't move, they'd knock their feed dish and water dish over and it was hot outside.  Another neighbor kept going over on her own, wasn't asked to watch out for the dogs, she just didn't like to see them suffer.  She'd untangle the dogs and giving them fresh food and water so the authorities wouldn't act because the dogs were being taken care of, in a way. 

I kept calling until one time the authorities arrived and found a note pinned to the front door from the helpful neighbor stating that she wouldn't take care of the dogs anymore and would let them off their leashes or be taken if they wouldn't take care of them.

When the neighbors got back and saw the trouble they were in, they got rid of the dogs.  I hope they went to good homes.

Edited by Zahdii

A spark of good news for those that are concerned about the animals. 

I received a direct email back from the head of the SPCA for LA County Santa Clarita.  This is what she said: 

Hi L,

I have received your email. We had an officer inspect the premises and will do what we can to ensure the health and safety of the animals. They were fine when we inspected. The Humane Society monitors all filming in movie sets and filming locations. If you have the live feed maybe you could send it to us, so we can see what you are seeing and further investigate. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Thank you,

~Karen

Obviously, we do not know when there were last there, but the situation may have changed since then... so, I do not have the feeds downloaded or saved to hard drive, and I already PM'd Zahdii, if anyone has them archived or knows of a spot that they can view them directly, please send that info them directly to Karen Stepp KStepp@animalcare.lacounty.gov. This is a public email for a governmental office and her name is listed on their website, so I am not breaching personal info here. 

If anyone wants to send any personal observations regarding what you have seen on the live feeds, then I suggest emailing her as well. I know several of you have knowledge of farming methods and can speak more knowledgeably than I can.  Thanks for your help everyone, I think that we just made a huge crack in the "outer gate" of Utopia. Take that FOX and your 50 million dollar debacle!

ETA: Just got a response from PETA as well. They are sending it on the right people to help. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 12

riverheightsnancy - Thank you for taking initiative and sharing the information with us.  It is very much appreciated.  I've gone to the sites you linked to and submitted concerns regarding the treatment of the animals too.

GaJenn - there's a number of us who don't get the live feeds and are depending on kind souls to share the Utopian dumbassery.  Please don't leave us dangling!

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

No problem DeLurker! If it weren't for Zahdii's recaps, I wouldn't have even have known about it! So credit goes to her and everyone else who tried to do something.  I would bet that those instances that she has written about have NOT been broadcast on air. I missed episode 2 because of work, but I think that they are selectively broadcasting things that aren't too awful.   Of course, no one is really watching so, they could be abusing all the animals they want and having sex on TV and no one would really know. 

• Love 1

I'm a farm girl - a dairy farm girl, actually - and the way she's treating those cows is reprehensible. First of all, they need to be fed, fed a lot, and fed consistently. Cows need a bare minimum of nutrition to maintain their own bodies, and then they need nutrition above and beyond that to convert into milk. For every gallon of milk she produces, she needs a proportionate number of calories in her diet to off-set that. A cow will make milk, even if you're not feeding her enough. Biologically, she's feeding her "calf", so like any good mama, she'll give the "calf" what it needs at great cost to herself. Basically, she'll start shedding fat and converting that into milk, starving herself over time, and that's what we see here.

Just want to add to this point that one of the cows is pregnant.  So she needs enough feed for her, her calf, and the milk.

The Humane Society monitors all filming in movie sets and filming locations

I no longer trust the Humane Society to do their job.  It's come out over time. that they've sold out and the animals safety is not their priority on set.

That doesn't mean viewer outrage is ineffective.  Dustin Hoffman's HBO series Luck was cancelled after the death of three horses on set.  It wasn't the Humane Society that accomplished this, it was the outrage of those concerned about animals.

• Love 3

I guess if this is the live feed there's no host or voice-overs to give explanations, but can anyone figure out from the context why suddenly a new guy has been added to the mix without any of the trial period / vote who-ha? Is he just a replacement for Dave? Dave's still gone, right?

• Love 1

No problem DeLurker! If it weren't for Zahdii's recaps, I wouldn't have even have known about it! So credit goes to her and everyone else who tried to do something.  I would bet that those instances that she has written about have NOT been broadcast on air. I missed episode 2 because of work, but I think that they are selectively broadcasting things that aren't too awful.   Of course, no one is really watching so, they could be abusing all the animals they want and having sex on TV and no one would really know. 

Thanks for you efforts on behalf of the animals.  Tremendously good work.  As a vegetarian I consider killing animals for food an act of cruelty.  But as a pragmatist I understand that that practice isn't gonna go away any time soon nor do I have any legal right to stop it.  I have no moral right to judge meat eaters either though I can remain upset by the act itself of killing living beings from my pov.

But stopping cruelty to those animals humans in society have agreed have the right to remain alive is a very good thing too and in this case there are legal ramifications involved and things can indeed be done.  And getting the people who have the clout involved here is an awfully good thing that you have done.  So props to you.

I still think production will sneak in someone to clean up the worst of this mess if for no other reason than to keep animal rights groups off their case.  But then again this is Fox and they could go with the old show biz motto of "there is no such thing as bad publicity" to hope the show gets a ratings boost from all of this hitting say the 6 o'clock news.  Yes, I am that cynical about Fox.  So people like you and our intrepid re-capper and others keeping their feet to the fire is a real good thing.  Cause if they actually do think negative publicity will help them they will find out otherwise.  People tend to get pretty upset when animals are abused.

• Love 3

Wow, riverheightsnancy, you're my hero!!!

Upon reflection today, I suspect the producers themselves are actually not being that negligent (although the starved chicken suggests someone missed the "pecking order"- which I just learned today!- issues while they were getting the transition ready).  I imaginewhen they first set it up, everything was golden and properly reviewed etc, but in the two weeks from everyone focused on the Myopians moving in to today, things got missed in all the chaos.  Plus, they have to straddle a line of "Do we jump in now, or see if they will get their act together when it's still troubling but not necessarily critical?".  After all, to Production's credit, that Farmer Lefty didn't just show up out of the blue; Production provided him, probably as a stop-gap in hoping that now, finally, the animals would be properly cared for. 

Except we know they didn't; it's been what, 2-3 days since the Farmer came out, and very little has changed other than Bri moving their feeding times.  The question is, what do they do now?  They can't let Bri and the others continue to ignore the animals, although from Zahdii's recap it sounds like at least a couple of people are starting to notice something is wrong and maybe, just maybe, they'll start doing these chores and taking them seriously.  I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they are surely aware of the problem, and have probably had discussions amongst the staff as to when and how the intervene... so hopefully if the calves continue to be mistreated or poorly handled, they'll step in and take the necessary steps.

But in any case, I'd like to see a heaping handful of public shaming make it to the screen.

• Love 4

I tweeted them earlier today to ask about the animals, because the situation sounds just horrible.  They answered me with this:  

"There are two vets that are regularly monitoring the animals from production, and making sure they are being taking[sic] care of."

I don't know how they define "regularly monitoring".  From the sound of it, it's not regular enough.  I don't know enough about raising cows and chickens like some of you do so I don't know what, more specifically, to ask.  But I applaud @riverheightsnancy (love that name, btw!), because I doubt the two vets in question are doing enough about the situation.  Outside intervention - or at least oversight - seems to be needed.

• Love 2

So,  Hex is a huntress.  She uses a bow.  She intends to go out alone,  shoot a deer with an arrow and then….. what exactly?  I mean, does she actually have experience hunting large game like deer?  Does she think she can get one with a single kill shot and it’ll fall down right where she wants it without having to follow it while it winds down and dies?  Once it is dead, does she know how to field dress it?  Can she carry it back to camp alone, without transport of any kind?  Once in camp, does she or anyone there know how to skin and butcher a deer?

I know nothing of Hex, but the deer hunters I know would all know how to do the things you've outlined above. Maybe not the "carry it back to camp alone" thing, because most hunters around here have ATVs for such things, but one person can easily drag them on a sled. Deer have a lot of "leg", so they're not as heavy as they appear.

The lack of a large freezer or refrigerator, on the other hand...

• Love 2

Yes, I agree with all who commented that production probably brought in the Vet and the other farmer guy in the hopes to head off any issues. The Utopians are too damn stupid though. I also suspect that they would really love to just leave them to their own devices, so they are straddling a precarious line. However,  when we hear that the cows are "starving" and that is a quote, it just doesn't feel ok with me. I cannot abide that. If the vet or the other farmer didn't use those words, then I would have been less upset. But those are the words that they chose, and that is saying a lot. As another poster stated, that because this is FOX that they may think that any publicity is fine, so I hope that if we can get this out there in the media, that it can have the reverse impact, but there is no way to know unless and until that happens. 

As a psychology instructor, I have to remind myself of the seminal experiments that were conducted in my field and when my students asked incredulously about why no one stepped in to help in those instances, I had to put myself in that situation too and try to do something in this particular case. Hopefully, we will see some type of movement when we get to read the recaps or when others report on the live feed as well (I really cannot bring myself to watch the live feed). This is such a joke of a show that I cannot even stand it. It was such an interesting premise with all of the wrong people chosen. 

• Love 4

"There are two vets that are regularly monitoring the animals from production, and making sure they are being taking[sic] care of."

So, what if they aren't being taken care of? Does Production take over animal care duties?

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of this, they have an entourage of maids, butlers, cooks, and an executive team of ass-wipers to take care of their business. It probably would have been cheaper to just accommodate them in a Manhattan penthouse and supply them with a constant stream of hundred-dollar bills and buckets of cocaine - and it would have approximately the same outcome.

Fox seems to think that somehow we will be fooled by the rural setting into thinking that this show has anything to with living off the land or being self-sufficient. All this money and effort looking after these spoiled brats and reinforcing their delusions, when what they really need is psychiatric care.

• Love 13

Maybe Dr. Drew can pay a visit. </snark>

I think Dr. Spaceman is more their style.

"Well, must be psychosomatic. Now don't worry, that's just a fancy doctor word for "your brain is broken". Unfortunately, there's no field of medicine that deals with the brain. But, I can give you a pamphlet for a cult."

• Love 3
I wonder if restricting where Hex can hunt is to prevent feed watchers from watching. It sounds Hex is not a seasoned hunter and is unlikely to have a quick and clean kill. They don't want us to witness an injured and suffering animal slowly dying.

If Hex is an obvious plant meant to play a specific role, how many others in there have also been 'coached' or 'convinced' to play specific roles.  

I like Hex, but if she is a non-hunting unemployed dental assistant, how much of the rest of her 'character' is scripted by production ?

• Love 5

Thanks to that total genius, Zahdii, for the recaps.  For sure, Fox should be paying Zahdii the big bucks because without the summaries a lot of us would be saying "'Nuff'" to the whole damn show.

And thanks to riverheightsnancy for doing what needs to be done about the animals who unfortunately got involved with this train wreck.

And, oddly enough, thanks to my family, who sent me off to spend a summer with my uncle Parley on his dairy farm.  I was twelve but I quickly learned that farming is just damn hard work -- lots of it (that's why there's a farmersonly.com -- outsiders have no clue).  When the 60s were going on (and I was in my 20s) and wild-eyed folk would show up saying we shoud all move to a farm and live the easy life, I knew what BS that was.  And I noticed (and it's true of this show), everyone wants to be the leader and / or make the macrame (dated) but no one notices or wants to deal with the enormous amount of literal shit that has to be shoveled.

ETA.  Followed the link about Hex.  Yes, she's a fake and probably just an aspiring actress, but there's something about her that I like.  Just hope she doesn't do something stupid while hunting.

Edited by CaptainCurmudgeon
  • Love 4

Hey all. We're starting to veer way off topic with the animal talk. Remember, this thread is to talk about the live-feed of Utopia. Not the Humane Society or PETA. If you're really interested in this topic, please feel free to start a thread for the animals.

• Love 1

Last thing I'll say on this thread, GenL, but without the reports on the live feed, I don't think people would know about the mistreatment of animals.  But another topic?  I'm up for that.  It's that important.

ETA.  Thanks, riverheightsnancy.  Going there.

• Love 3

This damn show could have and should have been so good. I hate when they screw up a good thing. This show, more than any other, had the potential to challenge our ideas about how societies form, and where we could potentially go from here. It posed questions I was really interested in exploring. If people could start over, what would they do differently? What would be important? Would the individual needs of stronger personalities overshadow the needs of the group? So many really fascinating directions to go in. Instead, we have this collection of wannabes and fame seekers, most of whom seem only too willing to play a foolish and exaggerated version of themselves,  and seem all too aware of the cameras and the audience. I mean, some of them are even naming their couplings a la Brangelina. No one there is interested in anything remotely societal, or sociological. Don't even get me started on Amanda, who is happily demonstrating to the world with her stream of bad decisions why she is not ready to be a Mom.

I guess mostly I am just disappointed. To take a quote from the Big Brother live feed discussion thread, 'we can't ever have nice things'.

The Truman Show is one of my fave movies. This ain't that.

• Love 7

JustAlison.

Wish you were a TV producer.  I agree completely.

If you are a TV producer, I'm 74, a nudist, a writer, teacher, and engineer.  You get that show going, keep me in mind.

(Feeling some shame.)

You, Captain Curmudgeon, are exactly who this trainwreck SHOULD have cast.

Shame? Hell, I hope to be half as interesting at your age. A writer, and a teacher? Honestly, it's an honour and a privilege to meet you. 

If that's the case, then why are they even airing this show at all?

Oh so, so good. I have enjoyed many, many of your clever posts, but this one cost me a keyboard. Thanks for the endless wit.

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 1

This damn show could have and should have been so good. I hate when they screw up a good thing. This show, more than any other, had the potential to challenge our ideas about how societies form, and where we could potentially go from here. It posed questions I was really interested in exploring. If people could start over, what would they do differently? What would be important? Would the individual needs of stronger personalities overshadow the needs of the group? So many really fascinating directions to go in. Instead, we have this collection of wannabes and fame seekers, most of whom seem only too willing to play a foolish and exaggerated version of themselves,  and seem all too aware of the cameras and the audience. I mean, some of them are even naming their couplings a la Brangelina. No one there is interested in anything remotely societal, or sociological. Don't even get me started on Amanda, who is happily demonstrating to the world with her stream of bad decisions why she is not ready to be a Mom

JustAlison, such great insight.

I'd go a step farther and say that this is exactly what production wanted: the alcohol fueled debacle on the first episode was the first clue, failure to feel any urgency about anything including food is the second clue and the completely screwed up, clueless, ridiculous people (or actors playing a part) they cast is the third clue.

They wanted drama not an honest effort to do what the ads said they would do.

The continuing evidence that there are no repercussions from no cooperation and no work makes it clear they don't actually have to do anything to survive except apparently have sex all the time.

I come from a farming family and a hunting one as well.  For truly serious farmers and hunters these people are terrifying.  A hunter who can only target shoot and has never field dressed or dragged their own kill is anathema to a true hunter.  In addition, bow hunting is more difficult that gun hunting.  If her only experience is target shooting - and it appears she is not very good at that - then I can only hope to god production keeps her OUT of the woods, or has her shadowed by a true hunter who will track the animal she inadvertently hits and makes a clean kill.

I actually hope she strolls out of the woods with the meat butcher paper wrapped and an invoice in her hand!  The alternative is mind boggling.

Don't get me started on the pathetic and stupid garden we saw tonight.  I've read the recaps, but the image was a bit jarring.  Bella is certafiable.

I hope I haven't forgotten what forum I am in and posted in the wrong one:)

Such a stupid show - and not even entertaining at that.  It is losing even it's "train wreck" status.

Edited by kaygeeret
  • Love 3

I'd go a step farther and say that this is exactly what production wanted: the alcohol fueled debacle on the first episode was the first clue, failure to feel any urgency about anything including food is the second clue and the completely screwed up, clueless, ridiculous people (or actors playing a part) they cast is the third clue.

You are right, of course. I just keep clinging to the hope that someday, somewhere, someone with integrity will find their way to production. I am just frustrated with programs that say they are one thing, only to be something else entirely, and not something better. Television continues to pander to the lowest common denominator, and I moved out of that demographic decades ago.

The continuing evidence that there are no repercussions from no cooperation and no work makes it clear they don't actually have to do anything to survive except apparently have sex all the time.

Again, you are so right. It's not even like they are trying with this. And where in hell did they find so many adults willing to engage in all this sex with strangers? Have none of them considered the repurcussions, should they actually have to be there for the year? Geez, at this rate, they will have coupled in every way possible within the first month! Not getting milked on time might become the least of Bessie's problems. (joking---don't kill me)

• Love 2

Yes - this show has potential, as a concept.  To have people figure out, from scratch, how to re-invent a society.  But these dimwitted people don't even entertain the ideas that they need to make decisions.  Decisions like - does everyone have to work?  Is there a consequence for not working? how do we divide the food?  If we want a major purchase (fridge, stove), do we need a majority vote, or does it need to be unanimous?  If someone disagrees with the purchase, can they "opt out"? 

The thing is, they don't really live separate from the larger society, where there are laws that they still have to follow.  They can't, for example, decide to execute someone for a crime.  They can't decide that a man can rape a woman and she becomes his property.    These are the kinds of decisions past societies have made.  But we've evolved past that, and the "Utopians"  are still subject to the laws of the country in which they live.   So their decisions still have to be within the pre-existing laws. They're NOT re-creating a society from scratch, the foundation is already there.

It seems obvious, but it's not really.  And consider that there are "producers"  who are the ultimate rulers of the land, and can over-rule anything the Utopians come up with.  

But really, if the people on this board were the Utopians, we'd do a much better job of it.  Conserving money, realizing that it will be needed for winter, maybe limiting alcohol, assigning tasks to everyone, and of course, not giving in to each individual's "special needs".  The need for coffee - understandable.   The need for Doritos, oreos, water filters?  Not so much.   

• Love 8

Are not the producers all over this thing?

That's the main thing I learned from this thread -- except maybe animal issues.

Jeez, if you read this every damn day almost eveyone is running to the producers to make them do something or the producers are calling  up someone to tell them NOT to do something.

Or it's the Fire Department or Farmer Lefty or who know's who arriving at the front gate and let in.

ETA.  Think about "Utopia for One," old HD Thoreau.  He got away from Concord and they were NOT busting in on him daily.

• Love 2

I think the whole concept would have worked better with people from different societies from the get-go. All these people came from the same country, and while I respect that the U.S. is huge and diverse, the democracy and capitalism are constants and most definitely influenced their ideas about society and government. 

I imagine this show with people from fifteen different societies, all coming in with ideas not only different from the others, but with ideologies and politics that are in direct contrast with others. That could have been epic, and even served as a bridge to more global programming, with people learning from each other and having to challenge their own ideas about how things should be.

Instead, we have chicken tractors.

They aren't building anything. They are just decorating a barn, and deciding where to put the fridge. 

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 7

But we've evolved past that, and the "Utopians"  are still subject to the laws of the country in which they live.   So their decisions still have to be within the pre-existing laws. They're NOT re-creating a society from scratch, the foundation is already there.

Not to mention the fact that the show was initially promoted as them "living without electricity or heating" - and yet only a few days in, they are given unlimited electricity. And soon it seems they will have an unlimited supply of fuel for cooking and heating via a gas pipeline.

Then there's the question of technology - they can "buy" a phone or a computer? Part of what shapes a society is how we get those things. Everybody wants phones and computers, but the problem is that somebody has to work in factories to make those things. Those people are part of a society. It's a lot easier to have a utopia if you don't have to worry about the factories or the economics, and you are just handed those things via Deus Ex Machina.

Sure, the USA might not make the cellphones itself, but it does have to deal with a trade balance with China, and even fighting wars to obtain the oil required to keep the economy going. In a real society/economy, these idiots would offer nothing of value worth trading. The only reason they can have anything is because of gifts from the Producers.

• Love 4