Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/29/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, May 29 (OAD: 5/4/23) — Jennifer Lopez (“The Mother”); Mother’s Day Favorite Things 

Tuesday, May 30 — The Political View with 2024 Republican presidential candidate Asa Hutchinson  

Wednesday, May 31 — Rose Byrne (“Platonic”) 

Thursday, June 1 — “The View” kicks off pride month with Montana State Rep. Zooey Zephyr, who was barred from the state’s House floor for opposing multiple anti-LBGTQ+ bills; Nick Mohammed (“Ted Lasso”; “Maggie Moore(s)”; “Nick Mohammed is Mr. Swallow”) 

Friday, June 2 — Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka (“Drag Me to Dinner”); Andrew McCarthy (author, “Walking with Sam”) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Agh!  I’m only at the end of season 2 of Ted Lasso and don’t want to be spoiled for season 3. I may have to skip Thurs.

Would anyone really buy a swimsuit online?

Edited by Haleth

WRITERS STRIKE??  Huh, since when?  Blue cards in use?  But the OWSNBN is no longer part of the show.

TOPIC ONE:  KAMALA HARRIS:  Here we go.  Sure Sunny, Kamala is a lousy VP and her approval ratings are in the cellar because of prejudice.  It's all about the color of her skin.  Okay Sunny.  Yes, VPs have it so bad.  They go to sleep for four years then tack it on their resume when they leave public office for the lucrative private sector.  Kamala's lack of verbal skills are defended.  Tourettes 'R' Us.  Whoopi has zero standards for POTUS.  We Hate Ron Soapbox makes another appearance.

SEGMENT TWO:  JOY'S EARRINGS:  From Venice and gaudy as hell. 

TOPIC TWO:  E. JEAN CARROLL - Trump women and R women support their rapist politicians.  Alyssa gets in her jab at Joy for supporting Cuomo.  Joy makes rape supporters a race thing.  White women only need apply.  Sunny makes it racial.  Of course she does:  White women were also slave owners.  Tack that on your reparations application, Sunny.

GUEST:  ASA HUTCHINSON - Lukewarm, applause.  Trump, Trump, Trump.  'Non-Trump lane."   He's a one-percenter but not in a good way.  Math lessons on division and presidential hopefuls.  Not a January 6th enthusiast.  Ronnie again.  Trump, DeSantis and Hutchinson walk into a bar.  Cost of living.  Whoopi wakes up and says "education!!"

Commercials:  Transvaginal mesh lawsuits.  *DISCLAIMER*  NOT A TARGET ITEM.  (Used for urinary incontinence.)  It should ideally be followed by a Depends comercial but the local affiliate has no sense of humor.  That seems to be going around lately.  

SEGMENT FOUR:  ASA -  Abortion.  Sunny does her melodramatic, over-acting on her blue card delivery.  I'm expecting the stage curtains to separate and a choir to appear.  Whoopi I've had seven abortions Goldberg chimes in. 

SEGMENT FIVE:  INTREPID:  Sara boarded a boat.  Next.  SIDE CHICKS coming out of the shadows per Rolling Stone.  Should Queen Adultress Camilla be relegated to the backstreets with the abortionists?  Lauren Sanchez, definitely a side chick.  Sunny, the voice of wisdom pulls out the truism -  You lose 'em how you got 'em.  So true.

VIEW YOUR DEAL:  I wonder if Sunny knew she'd be forced to become a glorified game show model after studying so hard for all those many years. 

Whoopi has a blue card obsession.

This show in a nutshell:  Race, Abortion, Adultery, Sandals, Swimwear.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

RE: Kamala Harris - Whoopi says, "as long as they're doing their job, I'll vote for them" - but Alyssa's point was that Harris doesn't seem to have demonstrated that she's accomplished much in her job, and no one said anything that effectively contradicted that. I'm also not persuaded by Sunny's statement that Harris's low approval rating is due to her being a black woman "because this is the United States of America". Probably factors into it, but saying it is only because this is the US is not any better than saying "it just is" or "because I said so". As a former prosecutor, Sunny should have more evidence than that, even if she quotes polls, which can also be iffy. 

• Like 3

For whatever it is worth, kudos to Sara for pointing out that the "groups" media and politicians talk about aren't monolithic, and everyone in them doesn't share the same concerns or priorities automatically. Sure, there are one-issue voters who will vote for whoever ticks the box on their pet cause, but other people have to balance the pros and cons of candidates to see who comes closest to their ideal.

• Like 4

Ellis, you forgot to mention Sunny telling Hutchinson that she was a Fed prosecutor too. I swear it should be a drinking game. Any time Sunny brings up being a US prosecutor you do a shot. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7

I think Asa Hutchinson is wrong when he said the very restrictive abortion bill he signed as governor of Arkansas was massively popular.  Polls consistently show people want exceptions for rape and to save the life of the mother. And kudos to Whoopi for pushing back on what he was saying.  He wants his beliefs respected but he seems to have no respect for those who don't share his beliefs.

• Like 12
  • Love 2

I lean more towards Joy, Sunny, and Sara on the Kamala Harris topic, Alyssa sounded ridiculous trying to pretend race and gender play no role whatsoever in the conversation and even feigning shock at the mere suggestion. Sexism aimed at the first woman to ever be in a particular role? Impossible! But Sara is right that Kamala probably has given some fodder here and there to the criticism of her. Interesting though that the show conveniently didn't have time for the list Sunny mentioned while giving Alyssa time to speak twice, including pulling out the smallest violin for her former boss, Pence; the EP being in Alyssa's favor reminds me of Elisabeth Hasselbeck days.

Despite what Alyssa claimed, I don't think it says anything about the topic that she can come up with a pros list for Pence without much ado like that since selling people on him was actually her job not long ago. There isn't a former aide for Harris on the show in comparison. Mostly the topic--and the guest as well--felt like the show was throwing Alyssa a bone, lol.

• Like 6

Sunny, why must every subject lead to race?  Can't we have at least one topic where you don't bring up race in one form or another?  Or are you not capable of debating ANY subject without making that your number one argument? 🙄

• Like 6
  • Applause 8

It's too bad Sunny didn't share her list of accomplishments by Kamala.  I think the biggest problem is that the VP doesn't get enough media coverage of her projects/events.  We don't know what she's been doing.  (Although I'm sure race/gender is a factor for her unpopularity too.)

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Sunny, why must every subject lead to race?  Can't we have at least one topic where you don't bring up race in one form or another?  Or are you not capable of debating ANY subject without making that your number one argument? 🙄

but the topic was people's opinion of Kamala and therefore does involve race, so should she not have said anything? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ellis, you forgot to mention Sunny telling Hutchinson that she was a Fed prosecutor too. I swear it should be a drinking game. Any time Sunny brings up being a US prosecutor you do a shot. Cheers!

LOL, I remember her saying that and laughing,  Asa was very polite and acknowledged their precious bond.  I threw one in today's recap when she mentioned she and Ron DeSantis are both former federal prosecutors.  She should have jackets and baseball caps made.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, cinsays said:

but the topic was people's opinion of Kamala and therefore does involve race, so should she not have said anything? 

No, it's fair to say that racism and sexism has some influence on people's opinion, but making them the sole (or focal) reason for her low ratings makes it seem as though Kamala has been doing a stellar job otherwise, which isn't accurate. Like many people who have jobs where not everyone is a fan, she has to try to perform at a higher level and not give her detractors any ammunition for criticism.

• Applause 2

I am SO very tired of seeing Whoopi slumped over, rolling her eyes and looking bored when the topic doesn't interest her.  I'm talking about the segment of Pacino becoming a father at his age.  The other ladies brought up some good points, had a good discussion, but Whoopi made it clear she couldn't care less.  Sorry, that is just plain rude and bad manners.  If any of the others did that, they would look as rude and ill-mannered as Whoopi does.

I enjoy the political talk but also like the celebrity dishing.  Guess what, that is what The View is about. Again, can you imagine if Alyssa sat slumped over and rolled her eyes when Whoopi was talking?  She would probably be gone.  If Whoopi is bored, if the show is beneath her, she needs to leave. She doesn't look "cute" or funny - she looks like she has very bad manners.

If she isn't in control, doesn't have the center stage, she isn't interested.  Wow. She takes some of the pleasure out of watching the show for me. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 7

I’ll give Whoopi a pass for rolling her eyes at the geezer dads discussion. She and DeNiro are friends so she probably feels it’s nobody’s damn business.

I don’t give her a pass for other eye rolling though. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Never change, Sara!  Asking why the young girlfriends of much older celebrities don’t use birth control - kinda defeats the purpose, doncha think?

Then the discussion re platonic friends - turns out Asunción has a male bestie she met in law school, but as we know, Ol’ Manny better not befriend a female coworker.

Edited by flummoxd
More seen
  • Like 2
  • LOL 10
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I’ll give Whoopi a pass for rolling her eyes at the geezer dads discussion. She and DeNiro are friends so she probably feels it’s nobody’s damn business.

I don’t give her a pass for other eye rolling though. 

If she doesn't like talking about her friends, she should make it known at their pre-show meeting where they discuss the topics they are going to cover. 

It just rubs me the wrong way. She slumps over, rolls her eyes, looks at the audience as if to say she is totally bored.  Meanwhile the others continue with their lively discussion and she sits and pouts. So rude.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
18 hours ago, cinsays said:

Certainly she can bring it up. It's when she dwells on it over & over, making it the sole support of her argument.

In addition, she will always find a way to bring the subject to the forefront. Think about it in reverse. For example, she wouldn't say the main reason she likes Kamala is because she's black. One would think she'd find other things such as accomplishments to sing her praises. It works both ways. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, KittyQ said:

No, it's fair to say that racism and sexism has some influence on people's opinion, but making them the sole (or focal) reason for her low ratings makes it seem as though Kamala has been doing a stellar job otherwise, which isn't accurate. Like many people who have jobs where not everyone is a fan, she has to try to perform at a higher level and not give her detractors any ammunition for criticism.

How do you know whether or not Kamala has been doing a stellar job? The media basically ignores her and doesn't report anything about what she's doing. I've tried to keep up with her where I can and she seems to be accomplishing and supporting her boss, the President, quite well and that's basically her job.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Certainly she can bring it up. It's when she dwells on it over & over, making it the sole support of her argument.

In addition, she will always find a way to bring the subject to the forefront. Think about it in reverse. For example, she wouldn't say the main reason she likes Kamala is because she's black. One would think she'd find other things such as accomplishments to sing her praises. It works both ways. 

commenting on it doesn't at all mean it's her sole support

• Like 5
(edited)

That Hannity clip they showed cracks me up, as trump is implicating himself in a crime Hannity quickly says “Let’s move on” with the implication that he wants to stop trump from saying any more.

Argh!  I don’t want to be spoiled for Ted Lasso!  Changing the channel. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

It's not the sole support for her argument.  She also brought up misogyny (a topic that is brought up regularly on this show)    During the Pence vs Harris discussion she brought up several of VP Harris's accomplishments as she has several time in the past.  It irks me that Sunny gets criticized about bringing up race.  But there's little/no criticism when all of the panelists bring up misogyny regularly.   

Edited by After7Only
I am not a contestant in the spelling bee ;)
  • Like 1
  • Applause 8
3 hours ago, After7Only said:

It's not the sole support for her argument.  She also brought up misogamy (a topic that is brought up regularly on this show)    During the Pence vs Harris discussion she brought up several of VP Harris's accomplishments as she has several time in the past.  It irks me that Sunny gets criticized about bringing up race.  But there's little/no criticism when all of the panelists bring up misogamy regularly.   

I think you mean misogyny (against women), if so, you're right!!

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
(edited)

Is it prerecorded?  It’s a new show.  Maybe they filmed yesterday?

I was just typing what Joy said, that the woman who got Amanda Gorman banned said she herself isn’t a reader. This is who is telling FL children what they cannot read.

Geez, NPH is almost 50?  Andrew McCarthy is 60?  Now I feel old. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I am pretty sure I saw the message that it was prerecorded at the beginning. If not prerecorded, would they not have started with the debt ceiling vote? That is the biggest news. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, js9548 said:

I am pretty sure I saw the message that it was prerecorded at the beginning. If not prerecorded, would they not have started with the debt ceiling vote? That is the biggest news. 

True. Maybe they filmed Wed. That’s what they used to do in the Rosie era - film Fri’s epi on Wed so everyone had a long weekend. 

• Like 1

I don't know how that makes sense with Ana being Monday's and Friday's-only. They'd be forcing her to be there an extra day? Maybe this is just a thing while the writer's strike is going on, they can sort of comb over the prerecorded show ahead of time.

Pretty good week, overall. I noticed Alyssa name-dropping Sununu on Wednesday again, she's manifesting. Byrne didn't seem impressed with Whoopi incorrectly referring to her film Platonic as "Platonic Friends" at the end, but I did like her cracking up over Joy mid-interview. Liked Sunny's and Ana's comments when they were talking about Pride Month, liked Joy spotlighting Gorman's poem among the Banned Books today. The interviews today were fairly good (McCarthy had the better of the two, but both good). At times Ana comes across very scripted and controlled in her comments (not as bad as Sara though), but I did agree with her most of the time today--on how Pence has likely turned off every available audience and defending Christie versus Trump, and drag queens versus DeSantis. She even brought up a little factoid I hadn't been aware of or forgot as far as Christie having prosecuted Jared Kushner's father.

• Like 1