Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Mom City

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

An unexpected guest has Ted on edge. When Richmond travel to Manchester for a big match, Roy and Keeley become concerned about Jamie.

Original airdate 5/24/23

• Like 1
(edited)

I thought maybe Ted’s mom was going to say she was dying or something.  So glad Ted could get things off his chest.  His own healing can start.   And I’m sure he is going to tell Rebecca he is leaving after their final game… or maybe he will slip out during the game and Nate will take over and get the satisfaction of beating  Rupert who is the only unredeemable one. 

And we finally get Beard’s connection to Ted and why he is so fiercely loyal. 

I thought Jamie’s dad was dead, but looks like he is in rehab, so they might be able to work on their relationship.  

Who were those women who came to see Rebecca?  Sassy and the psychic?

I also loved that Jamie’s childhood bedroom had posters of both Roy and Keeley.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 13
(edited)

Roy's face when Jamie broke down was exquisite.

That whole scene was just beautiful and then Will's disappointment. Just, perfect. 

Edited by gik910
Spelling
  • Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Who were those women who came to see Rebecca?  Sassy and the psychic?

Becs (Rupert's current wife) and his secretary that he has cheating on Becs with

• Like 11
  • Useful 3
1 minute ago, shoregirl said:

Becs (Rupert's current wife) and his secretary that he has cheating on Becs with

Thanks.  Looks like Rupert will be in a world of hurt…and the only unredeemed character.  

• Like 7
(edited)

I loved that Ted finally had an insight about being scared to get close to Henry and why he's still in London. Just for that it was great. 

Roy understanding that was something wrong with Jamie because he was so humble (and didn't care about Van Damme using that awful mask = A+). Heh. 

ETA: "That goal was a lie. I apologize to everyone, especially the kids." heeeeehe. 

"I do believe in second chances, Ted.That's why I'm still married and all my sons are alive." This episode had great lines. 

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Like 21
  • Love 2

With the team asking Nate back…all I could think off was that when they learned Nate was working as a waiter, they figured he’d been humbled enough, and the team did need someone knowledgeable about strategy.    Even Roy admits that’s not his strong point.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Anyone know what the opening song was? The one when Ted was walking down the street greeting everyone. Sounded Herman’s Hermits-y, but I can’t place it. Also, the slow montage song near the end about bitterness?

(edited)

I am going to miss this show so much. This time next week it will be over.

Since the episode was “Mom City” I thought they’d throw a third mom in there by Rebecca’s truth bomb being a pregnancy. I guess not.

That game was tense. I’m not going to handle it well at all next week when the championship is on the line. I was as stressed as I am watching sports in real life. I’m glad Colin is playing well after coming out, and I hope Jamie’s foot is okay!

I like Becky Anne Baker a lot, but I didn’t think she was that great here. As much as she deserves the things Ted said to her, I still have a hard time believing Ted would actually say “Fuck you” to his mama!

I love the callback of Keeley being the the girl on hotel tv channels.

And I loved hearing “Fat Bottomed Girls” as the bus returned. Wouldn’t there have been fans waiting for the bus though? They were there when they left, so wouldn’t they have been there to greet the team?

Edited by Jeddah
  • Like 21

What a great episode. I think this episode really tied some things together, such as Nate's redemption and Ted's probable exit back to Kansas. This episode also had some very, very memorable quotes. I am definitely going to rewatch this one a few times.

It was nice to finally meet Jamie's mother. What a surprisingly nice callback to Jamie's comment about his mother calling him her "sexy little baby". I didn't even piece that as a callback until after he said it, which made sense as to why Jamie and Georgie's reunion was so intimate. And he seems to have a great stepfather. I also laughed at Jamie's childhood room, with both pictures of Roy AND Keeley. 

I really did like Jamie's scenes with his mom. She gave him some really sound advice and you can see that, had Jamie not been taken over by anger for his dad, he could have followed the route of his mother and turned out a lot better earlier. 

Also, they DID trick me into thinking Jamie's father had died when his buddies were at the game alone but nope, he's just in rehab! What a surprise, actually. Last we saw his father, it didn't seem like he was doing any self reflecting. 

Ted's mother showing up was a surprise. It was good to see a bit of their relationship and show Ted finally tell her how he's been feeling all these years. It seemed like he was intentionally distancing himself from her because he didn't want to face the truth, but it's good that he finally did. Plus, the scene with her at the end was one of my favourites. It's good to see Ted express himself in a healthy way. 

Beard had an amazing scene when he went to visit Nate. As much as I haven't loved Nate's arc, I fully understand the path that they chose with him and I think, at this rate, the only thing Nate has to do now is to apologize to the people he's hurt. I do wish he had a few more scenes with the people he hurt along the way, but I do think the show's done a better job than I expected to show his redemption. It may not be perfect, and I may not love him going back to Richmond, but I understand it. And this episode really did say it best; it's about second chances and forgiveness, to give someone that chance to prove themselves. 

I did like how Nate didn't jump at the chance to go back to Richmond because he fully recognized he did not feel welcome there by the person he hurt the most. Having Beard go by to not just say that Ted was a forgiving person who likely already forgave him long ago, followed by him personally forgiving him, it was a sweet moment.

Nate's actions haven't been great and he has a bit of work to put in, but I think he has shown self awareness and has been putting in the work to be a better person, even if it's not outright major changes. As long as he apologies to Ted and the team next episode, I think I can be overall fine with his redemption, even if I have critiques about how he got here. 

I'm glad that Bex went to Rebecca with Rupert's ex-assistant. I'm guessing some karma is about to hit Rupert in a major way, with all three exes coming for him.

The football match was intense and very well done. It was great to see more than a couple of minutes of a game, and seeing Jamie's growth throughout the game.  

Overall, a great episode filled with plenty of laughs and plenty of heartwarming moments. It was a fantastic balance, and I'm sure I'll come up with things I've missed saying in here later on when I rewatch.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Anyone know what the opening song was? The one when Ted was walking down the street greeting everyone. Sounded Herman’s Hermits-y, but I can’t place it. Also, the slow montage song near the end about bitterness?

The opener is Manchester, from the musical Hair. 
Correction. Not the opener. Manchester song comes later

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 6
12 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The opener is Manchester, from the musical Hair. 

Really? I know that song was used later in the show but the beginning one’s lyrics didn’t sound familiar to me. Had no idea it was the same song they used later. Thanks!

• Like 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, SHD said:

Really? I know that song was used later in the show but the beginning one’s lyrics didn’t sound familiar to me. Had no idea it was the same song they used later. Thanks!

No my bad. I have no idea what the opening song was. I confused the two. I just get excited for any song from the amazing musical Hair. What a great soundtrack.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 5

1) I think "Fat Bottomed Girls" would be a fine old-school song for Richmond. I love that Freddie Mercury was briefly the owner of AFC Richmond and that Rebecca's father knew him in art school.

2) I totally believe that Beard was in prison for drugs. (So he was a kicker and Ted was a punter.)

3) I think there are going to be one or two more women owners of teams next season.

4) It makes me happy to think of Keeley on on the hotel channels in England and the EU.

5) So, Jamie's Dad: rehab or jail?

6) Still don't care about Nate. I like Jade, though.

7) Jamie's boyhood poster of Roy was HOTT.

8) The truth bomb Ted's going to drop is that he's leaving AFC Richmond. Duh.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
(edited)

Poor misunderstood Nate, had to hide under the desk like a coward for 5 hours after being a complete shithead to the team. He's just insecure and had a temper tantrum. /sarcasm

And then everyone just randomly wanting him back at Richmond like nothing ever happened. Like he wasn't an abusive little shit. Through 11 episodes of this super sized season, Nate gets everything he wants - the girl he likes, his old job back - without apology. 

Do fuck off! 

Of course Ted is leaving. 

And that's some white people mess, cursing at your mother like that. 

Jamie Tartt, MVP of season 3. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 18
  • Applause 6
(edited)

What was the look between Sam and Rebecca during You’ve Got Mail?  

And who would have predicted a bunch of footballers being shown that movie for motivation before the big game?  And a bunch of mushy marshmallows getting all teary eyed.  It’s impossible not to tear up at that scene. 

I also loved being able to see an extended game scene finally. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SHD said:

long road by The Tremeloes

Long Road by the Tremeloes was the first one. 

im not sure which one you mean for the second but the next to last song (before Home from the Wiz) was Fought and Lost by Sam Ryder. It features Brian May which is why it has a Queen feel to it. 

• Like 9
(edited)

The look between Sam and Rebecca during the 'team watching the movie' scene .... was there a message from the movie I was supposed to read into that or are they still lightly teasing a possible Rebecca/Sam endgame?

Somebody mentioned it above, but whoever thought that S1 twat would turn into one of the most liked characters in S3??  "Jamie Tartt doo-doo-doootadoo!"

I'm not gonna talk about Nate's redemption and AFC Richmond going full "Ted" and inviting him back with open arms because I don't feel like he really deserves all that.  But it doesn't change the fact that its happening and now I have to pretend like he didn't pull the ultimate betrayal but now gets welcomed back like nothing happened.  *siiiiiiigh*

Ted truth-bombed the hell out of his mom.  And I guess she got in one or two herself.

Looks like Rupert's losing yet another FC to an ex-wife.

Speaking of truth-bombs, if you've seen the title for the last episode of the series then its mondo-obvious what Ted's in the process of telling Rebecca as the end credits rolled.

Ending this by quoting our favorite Roy Kent, as did most of everyone else in this episode ....  Fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
(or 'Ffffuuuuuuuuuuuudge!' in Ted's case)

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, HelloooKitty said:

Long Road by the Tremeloes was the first one. 

im not sure which one you mean for the second but the next to last song (before Home from the Wiz) was Fought and Lost by Sam Ryder. It features Brian May which is why it has a Queen feel to it. 

Thank you!

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Jamie's mom seemed a bit like Keely?

I did love Roy's open-armed walk back to Jamie's mom as they were leaving.  "One for the road?" and then Keeley grabbing him & pulling him along.

lol

I also like Roy's constant staring at Jamie's mom before the 'grand tour'.  Imagined reading his thoughts.  "Tartt's mum is a total fucking MILF!  After meeting that douchebag that was his dad, how is this fit woman his mum?!".

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 8
  • LOL 7

That was a sweet, touching episode that……had absolutely zero connection to anything we have seen  in prior episodes. 

The team wants Nate back?! Why?!  Keeley and Roy are just friends? They were clearly fucking last episode. Jamie Tartt is having a slump/confidence crisis because his dad isn’t harassing him? Ted, who is nice to everyone, is cold and dismissive of his mom?
And can we talk for a moment of the criminal underuse of Trent’s whole storyline? 
What the actual hell show writers?!  

One final thing, since it’s been heavily foreshadowed that Ted will be heading back to Kansas asap, is the big reveal next week the reason Nate left West Ham? We really don’t know why he left, it couldn’t possibly be that silly attempted “date” Rupert set-up. Perhaps Rupert was asking Nate to do something against Ted? That would wrap his redemption and apology tour in a nice little bow if it becomes known he saved Ted from some kind of Rupert shenanigans. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I just don’t understand this mess of a season. It has its moments, but holy hell we’ve gotten bloated episodes with cliff note versions of the storylines they are telling. 

The Nate storyline is fully unearned. I think they misplayed the last two seasons if they expect us to buy magic redemption for Nate without showing the work. 

The mom & Ted story is completely out of nowhere. & to me, the “thank you..fuck you” shorthand was off putting. Best storyline is Roy/Keely & Jamie & the most earned. Why sideline Keeley for 2/3rds of season?  
so frustrating!

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I was surprised at first by the team members going to see Nate, but that's the Ted Lasso influence. Colin was accepted by the team when he thought he wouldn't be, so he's paying it forward. Isaac learned forgiveness with Colin, so he was there too. (I forget who else went - will have to watch again.) It was nice that they did it on their own without needing a speech from Ted, which he seems to have deliberately avoided since Nate parted ways with West Ham (and bungled a bit last ep, anyway, re: Colin).

It does seem that Nate has changed. He's humble. He knows that the whole situation is his fault (and is writing a 60-page letter to Ted... who doesn't need it but will appreciate him for it anyway). Ted also didn't need to give Beard a speech, even after the Judas comment; showing him the security footage was enough. Whatever Nate was doing (???), he wanted to do it and slip out, pay the debt without acknowledgement, like he did w/Will, and went to great lengths to accomplish that. I'm sure it still took a lot for Beard to go and forgive Nate, but it was genuine - and then the hug, oh my. Of course Ted was right: Hurt people hurt people, and you don't forgive for the other person, you forgive for you. I loved the expression on Jamie's face when that clicked for him. (Of course, forgiveness can help the other person, too.)

Speaking of clicking... Ted finally did after a big release. Maybe he and Nate have that in common: both finally told their parent what they needed to say, and then both gained clarity. The "danger" for Nate was in looking like he wanted to hide at the restaurant, feeling unforgivable even with making amends. Being forgiven by Beard was another big release point for him. He still has more apologies to make, but he has changed. (No flying off the handle at Jade or the restaurant owner, just acknowledgement. That's big.)

Ted not being able to accept love or allow himself to love... I mean, can you imagine? You've lost your father - which is horrible in its own right, let alone the manner of it - your mom won't talk to you, and the message that goes right inside and sticks is that it's not OK to feel. Period. So you learn to cover with jokes and folksiness - with the occasional panic attack thrown in - and either lose or risk losing the people who mean the most to you, including your son. (BTW, Dottie (?) has her own folksy thing going on as avoidance, not to mention passive aggressiveness.) The thing is, Ted really is such a loving and generous person who helps make everyone around him better. He just hasn't been able to help himself. So now he's had his release, his realizations, and his "clicking in" moment, and he can move forward. --For a second, when I saw the flowers in his apartment and the candles, I was afraid that Michelle had come to England too, and Ted's mom had set up something. I was glad Michelle wasn't even mentioned. It was about mother and son, and father and son. And yeah, Ted's going home.

Other thoughts - surprised that Roy and Keely were supposedly only being friends, and Keely's hesitation when Roy said he didn't want only that (before they were interrupted). We're missing a conversation there. 

Mae's poem about how parents mess you up because they were messed up was on point - except, someone has to break the cycle. 

I'm glad Jamie is finding his way again after a brief stumble. Not unrealistic - you're so used to being angry, holding onto it, and it being such a big thing in your life, that when it's gone, you can feel a bit lost. Who are you now, without that? Reaching out to his dad (who didn't look angry, watching the game - likely doing some work himself in rehab), is a hopeful sign. It would be nice if Jamie, Roy, and Keely all end up close, and even better if Jamie meets someone new who is really good for him. (I'm assuming R&K will resolve whatever obstacle remains.)

Loved Dani turning and saying hello to Roy & Keely and that it was good to see them together again. Also, his smile at Van Damme, (who is still freaked out), and how nice he was w/Ted's mom. (Dani doesn't disappoint! Heh.)

Rebecca and Sam's glance? Hmmm. Bex and Rupert's former assistant going to see Rebecca? Yeah, that's going to yield something big.

Next week is going to be so emotional.

(I do acknowledge how uneven this season has been, but I prefer to hold what's good now because overall, I think there's a lot that's important here, especially about forgiveness when something or someone seems unforgivable (and self-forgiveness, too), not to mention letting go of things and becoming a better, kinder version of yourself. (--Odd reference, but it reminded me in essence of a Doctor Who episode with a great speech by Peter Capaldi that includes forgiveness.) 

• Like 14
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, justmehere said:

Ted not being able to accept love or allow himself to love... I mean, can you imagine? You've lost your father - which is horrible in its own right, let alone the manner of it - your mom won't talk to you, and the message that goes right inside and sticks is that it's not OK to feel. Period. So you learn to cover with jokes and folksiness - with the occasional panic attack thrown in - and either lose or risk losing the people who mean the most to you, including your son. (BTW, Dottie (?) has her own folksy thing going on as avoidance, not to mention passive aggressiveness.)

All of this! And her asking "whose fault is this"? She went through great pain and trauma,and modeled denial and repression to her adolescent son. Of course, she needs therapy, too, and Ted will no doubt support her in seeking it. 

• Like 6
(edited)

"That goal is a lie. It should be retracted from the records. I apologize to everyone, especially the kids."

Jamie is the best even when he doesn't have his wings. Though it was great to see the sexy baby get his mojo back and get to meet his mom for the first time. You can definitely see where Jamie got his personality from. 

And Roy has no room to ever talk about Jamie calling his sister fit after declaring his love for Mama Tartt.

I've always viewed Nate's arc as one of growth rather than redemption so it works for me. It's not perfect, mind you, but he's someone who has finally grown comfortable with who he is and is no longer trying to be something else to make himself feel better about himself.

Colin and Isaac, who bullied him along with Jamie in S1, being part of the group that approached him was a nice touch and everything with Beard at the end was tremendous as well. 

I know people have been frustrated and disappointed with the lack of Ted this season, but I think his story was basically over aside from this final part here. And I must say it was wonderfully done with him confronting his issues with his mom and about his relationship with his son. It was also nice to see Jamie be the one to inspire Ted for a change.

Last but not least, Zoreaux, or Van Damme as he likes to be called, finally got his well deserve moment in the sun. 

Edited by Dac22
  • Like 16

I really want to know more about this mysterious Richmond coach  that has popped up a couple of times this season. Must be a character that was cut in post production. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

LOL at Nate writing Ted a 60 page apology letter.   He is demonstrating what he said earlier.  He was the one who caused the problems.   I guess the self awareness really kicked in.

I think that why Nate left Richmond West Ham will be part of the final episode reveal…and maybe be info Bex can use in the ultimate take down of Rupert… which is why it hasn’t been mentioned before now.

It was very carefully not mentioned by the announcers who Richmond will be playing next week, but it has to be West Ham.   Wonder if Zava will be back and it will be revealed Rupert has something to do with him “retiring “.

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 8
12 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

LOL at Nate writing Ted a 60 page apology letter.   He is demonstrating what he said earlier.  He was the one who caused the problems.   I guess the self awareness really kicked in.

I think that why Nate left Richmond will be part of the final episode reveal…and maybe be info Bex can use in the ultimate take down of Rupert… which is why it hasn’t been mentioned before now.

It was very carefully not mentioned by the announcers who Richmond will be playing next week, but it has to be West Ham.   Wonder if Zava will be back and it will be revealed Rupert has something to do with him “retiring “.

Agree with all, but do you mean "why Nate left West Ham"? 

• Like 1
(edited)

Last week I was glad they seemed to have wrapped up Roy and Keeley, so they wouldn’t have to do that in the final episode, but apparently we’re doing that. Despite seeming very coupley and Roy obviously in love with her, but yes let’s drag this out even longer. I won’t buy anything other than them getting back together. They haven’t done the work to show they are better off apart, just the opposite. I’ve seen people compare them to Ted and Alexis…and I don’t think that works in this situation. That was mostly due to geography and Alexis had literally never been on her own. Keeley was presented in the first two seasons as The Independent Woman. If they are going the “I need time to figure out who I am” thing, it’s really going to ruin the first two seasons with them. And for what? It makes no sense narratively. Jesus. This is Ted Lasso. Let them be happy.

Ted’s mom was as I would expect. Wasn’t expecting Jamie’s mom…but I should have. Jamie really is the best thing about this season. His posters gave all the throuple shippers everything they ever wanted. But his relationship with Roy is a bit parental and I don’t like the implication that if you’re close to someone, you have to also have romantic feelings for them. But yeah in the fanfics, have at it. I still think he’ll be the one to help Roy and Keeley get back together. I did think his dad was dead but rehab was surprising. I guess getting punched in the face by your son might be the wake up call he needed. 

Not much I have yo say about Nate than hasn’t already been said. I just hope we get some explanation for how he went to asshole to suddenly being S1 Nate. Perhaps he’s been secretly seeing Dr Sharon?  Which where the fuck is she?? I would have much rather have seen more therapy with her and Ted than all the time they spent on KJPR. 

Sam and Rebecca, please no. I also am pretty confident her and Ted aren’t happening either. Ted is clearly going back to Kansas and I’m sorry but Rebecca isn’t going there. Leaving Sassy, Nora, Keeley, Higgins, Roy and the team for fucking Kansas?!? No. But I am excited for whatever is going to happen to Rupert.

I’m glad they explained why Ted is Beard’s ride or die and why Bear is so protective of Ted. But I’m glad he told Nate Ted would forgive him, but Nate needed to still do the work to have a life. 

Is the final episode going to be two hours? Because there’s a lot that needs resolving if this is the end. Unless this is just the end for Ted and next season is AFC Richmond. But I’m it sure I want that. They just poorly paced this season, wasting a lot of time on characters that served no purpose. Now they are scrambling to wrap it up when they had 11 hours to do so. It wasn’t a bad season but it really could have been better. I do think they win the whole fucking thing (so Colin can kiss his fella), so there’s that. Don’t HIMYM the ending show. Please!!

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

The thing that really gets me about Nate's very implausible redemption is that it could have been plausible.

All the writers had to do was establish in the first two seasons that Nate had a conscience, and some empathy. I could see a somewhat decent person in Nate's situation giving into their worst impulses when they suddenly get a taste of fame and money - and then seeing the error of their ways when a good person (like Jade) inspires them to be better.

But they never showed us any sign of Nate having empathy until now. In season 2, it seemed as though the makers of the show went out of their way to show us time and time again that Nate was toxic through and through. A person too caught up in his own insecurities and sense of entitlement to have any concern for others at all.

A middle-aged person doesn't just grow empathy out of nowhere because they found Ms. Right.

• Like 14
  • Applause 5

Many thoughts, but -- Roy and Keeley are just friends, and in Jamie's room Keeley looked like she was about to tell Roy she didn't want to get back together? After Roy came down Keeley's stairs last episode while putting her robe on and everything about that scene implied they WERE back together? What the heck is this writing?

And why do the players want Nate back? They were furious when they found out he tore down their sign to the point where they took it out on the entire West Ham team, and now they suddenly want him to come back? This is another discussion I feel like we should've *seen*, not just been told about.

Jamie remains the best thing about this season. I'm not sure I love Ted's advice to forgive his dad. I get the idea of not doing it for them but doing it for yourself, but there's a difference between forgiving someone and letting go of the pain they caused. It was nice to see that Jamie's dad was in rehab, but Jamie reaching out to him, probably on the back of what Ted said... I don't know how I feel about that. On the other hand, I loved his mum - she wasn't what I was expecting, but she was brilliant and the way she assured Jamie his hair looked dead natural and they'd done a lovely job with it cracked me up. And I loved that Jamie had zero problems with cuddling up to her with Roy and Keeley right there. 

Fun to have Pep make a guest appearance.

• Like 15
3 hours ago, Dac22 said:

I've always viewed Nate's arc as one of growth rather than redemption so it works for me. It's not perfect, mind you, but he's someone who has finally grown comfortable with who he is and is no longer trying to be something else to make himself feel better about himself.

Agreed. I think that, in order for Nate to earn redemption, he needed to go through some personal growth on his own first. He needed to learn that what he has done is wrong (he has done that by showing guilt and remorse), he has acknowledged his wrongdoings (he has, especially this episode, when he told Jade what he did at Richmond to Ted was his fault), and he has shown steps to change his actions (he has also started to do that, for example, with Will, his actions spoke louder than his words ever could). Now, is his redemption perfect? No. Has it been slow moving? Yes, I do wish this was happening faster, but I think that's also because we know it's likely the final season and this was the penultimate episode. Should there be a fourth season, we'd get to see Nate's change put into action, which would solidify his redemption. 

But I do see what they were doing with Nate. It's a different type of redemption, to see him go through some very clear ups and downs. I totally get people not being into the redemption because it's not the typical redemption arc we see. Usually, a redemption arc involves a lot more people and a lot more apologies. And maybe, for me at least, that's the piece that's missing. Nate is still kind of running and not fully facing his actions head-on. The last piece is to face the people he's hurt and stop being a coward.

But I think, for Nate, the arc makes sense and I like how different it is to other shows. I think my main wish is that we had more time on the redemption, and the main thing we really need from him now is an apology to Ted and, moreover, Ted not immediately forgiving him but allowing himself to express his feelings toward Nate. If those things can be achieved, I DO think Nate's redemption arc can work better. 

• Like 7
(edited)

The look between Sam and Rebecca during “You’ve got Mail” is an acknowledgment that’s what their relationship was like. They met online anonymously and got to know each other before meeting. That’s it.

Beard comes to accept Nate because he knows Ted has already forgiven him. Beard shows he trusts Nate by telling him potentially damaging information about himself.

I don’t think Nate has earned this redemption but sometimes people are just forgiven anyway.

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Starting with annoyances - Nate. Agreeing with a lot of folx from last week's episode thread, where it was articulated the problems with the Nate arc this season. All the "work" is happening off screen and things are just happening without a reason other than it’s how we get Nate standing in line on the Lego board. I still have no idea how or why Nate got to the place where he is now.

We see him treating his team like crap, ignoring his coworkers, and accepting large gifts from the Emperor, I mean, Rupert. Then somehow, even though his team is winning and Rupert is happy, Nate becomes unhappy again. He "finally" gets the girl (never introduces her by her name to anyone, so you know he's still the same spitting prick who kissed Keeley because she was nice to him once), his boss finds her wanting, and tries to set up him with another woman. Somehow this triggers something in Nate makes him quit (lets Rupert say in public that he was fired) and then his dad apologizes because he didn't know how to "parent a genius." (I'm sorry what?! Nate's a genius? Okay?) Somehow that apology triggers Nate to apologize to Will by setting up the kit and writing a four word note. Between that incident and the first five minutes of this episode, the team that nearly got all sent off with Red Cards after watching Nate destroy the Believe sign somehow took a vote to ask Nate back as a coach? What? Even if Nate has changed (which I guess we have to believe he has, though there's no reason we've seen), how or why would the AFC Richmond Himbos know that? Because he gave Will lavender? And having Colin of all people be part of that crew is just...what? I know last week I said I was letting it go, but every week, they just baffle me more.

Thanks for putting into words everything I've been feeling about the Nate storyline! It feels like there are deleted scenes or missing episodes explaining how they got to this place. 

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but I fully expected Nate's hair to slowly go back to black as he became redeemed (at least in the show's eyes). 

• Like 5

You know what takes 60 pages to write?  The rationalizations about how you screwed up but it wasn’t really your fault so you take responsibility, kinda.

• Like 12
  • Applause 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I thought maybe Ted’s mom was going to say she was dying or something.  So glad Ted could get things off his chest.  His own healing can start.   And I’m sure he is going to tell Rebecca he is leaving after their final game… or maybe he will slip out during the game and Nate will take over and get the satisfaction of beating  Rupert who is the only unredeemable one. 

Me, too. I was relieved they didn't go there. I suspect you're right and Ted will slip away, as he did with Dr. Sharon, and Nate will take over. Not the ending I was hoping for, but that's this season for you.

11 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I laughed, I cried, I got really annoyed at shortcuts being taken to get us to the place we're meant to end up next week. So it goes with Ted Lasso season 3!

I loved the episode, so long as I don't try to make sense of it in the context of the series. In You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan's character tells her ex that there isn't someone else, but there's the dream of someone else (or words to that effect). That's my overall response to this season of TL. That's also how I feel about that movie, BTW. It could have been good were it not for that whole falling-in-love-with-a-corporate-asshole-who destroyed-your beautiful-independent [children's!]-bookstore travesty. Have a little self-respect, Meg!

10 hours ago, dmeets said:

Roy and Keeley were trying to just be friends? I didn’t get that impression at all from last week’s episode. For a minute I thought they might actually be going there with a throuple endgame. I was amused by Roy’s expression looking at Jamie and his mom, like he was thinking “what the Oedipus is going on here?”

Thank you! When Jamie started stroking his mum's leg, I thought, "well, it's not just his father who effed him up." 

I don't get the "will they/won't they" with Roy and Keeley. I really need them to be well and truly a couple. The way this season has gone, I almost wouldn't put it past the writers to end the last episode with Keeley giving Nate an appraising look.

2 hours ago, Schweedie said:

And why do the players want Nate back? They were furious when they found out he tore down their sign to the point where they took it out on the entire West Ham team, and now they suddenly want him to come back? This is another discussion I feel like we should've *seen*, not just been told about.

Totally agree. Also, they don't need him, as evidenced by Nate's exclamation "Colin's free!" being followed by Jamie making the extra pass. The team and current coaches have got this.

ETA that I did get a kick out of Roy's dismissive "I don't give a fuck" and his acknowledging that he and Nate have different strengths, when Ted asked if he would be okay with Nate returning to the team. Even though I'm pretty sure that foreshadows Roy and Nate becoming the new Ted and Beard. There's no way Beard stays in London if Ted leaves. I'm apparently entering the acceptance phase of Nate's return to Richmond.

Edited by AD55
  • Like 12

Thinking about when Jamie interrupted Roy and Keeley…it certainly looked like Roy was going to declare his love.   I am not sure it looked like Keeley was going to reciprocate.  

• Like 1