Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02 : Make Me a Match

• Start Topic

Katarina questions Harold's honesty on his profile; Stanika lands in Morocco and makes Nina join her first date ever; Nathaly is desperate to find love in Colombia before her traditional Sri Lankan family steps in to arrange it for her. 

TLC: 5/21/23

• Useful 1

Just caught the first two episodes on Discovery +.  I'm in - we have quirky unmatchable singles and "expert" matchmakers with good reputations to uphold.  Throw in a language/culture barrier and sit back and enjoy! 

Spoiler

The autistic fellow who wants a pre-nup before meeting someone to protect his "future patents" - adorable!  Hands off my dreams, they're all mine! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Susan’s date is just as awful as she is so I’m surprised it wasn’t a match 😆

It cracks me up how many of these people want instant love (but not do any of the work involved with finding someone or being a good partner), to be treated like a king / queen, and require the person to leave their family / friends / job / only life they’ve ever known to move to the US; but make it very clear that what is theirs remains theirs - there will be zero sharing or treating their “love” like a king / queen.

• Like 4

It will take me a while to remember names, but the young lady who has never been on a date - how does that even happen???  I guess in this day and age, so many relationships take place virtually so it's unique to actually meet someone "in real life" and, go somewhere and do something. 

• Useful 1

Stanika (WTF?) has never been on a date, because she was fat. Seriously.  Now, I don't recall seeing a photo of just how large she was, but the 600 Lb Life poundticipants don't seem to have problems attracting mates.  

• Like 5

I wanted to like Susan. I'm actively trying to like Susan. But there's something about her that rubs me the wrong way. She wasn't wrong for rejecting the guy who wouldn't let her finish a sentence without changing the subject. He was obnoxious and I would've been concerned about the quality of Juan's work after that date, too. But still.. there's something both refreshing and frankly, off-putting about Susan's directness and transparency. She's just barely got any filter and that's likely why she's stayed single. 

Stanika (poor girl, what a terrible name!) should NOT be having her first date experience AND her first out of the country experience simultaneously. It's too much all at once. Plus, Morocco is SUCH a culture shock. It must've felt surreal being there alone and suddenly being immersed in this foreign culture. And then a date on the first night! Too, too much. Let the girl sleep off the jet lag, at least!

Has it already been asked and answered whether Katerina is the same matchmaker that David from 90 DF used? She looks and sounds super familiar. But Harold... oof. I don't think he's matchable. I mean, they can find a girl who's willing to fake it for a green card for him, but I don't see there being a slavic soulmate in his future.

• Like 4

This is fun! Why is Susan wasting her money? Her list of demands was pretty standard...has anyone in the history of dating sites ever said they were looking for an ugly, poor match with no sense of humor...but the kicker was "malleable"! Like, you are asking for a handsome, rich, successful... wuss? You ask for an alpha, you're not going to get a guy who lets you boss him around. The guy seemed pretty self-centered, for sure, but in this case I would have just let him talk and see if his personality was reflected in what he said. Sometimes it's nerves, sometimes it's culture, you need a little patience to find out. But Susan wants immediate results and it ain't gonna happen. 

I happen to think Harold made a good choice in looking for an Eastern European match. Maybe I am stereotyping, but in my experience, there is a cultural bluntness to Russians, Czechs, Slovaks, that is either refreshing or horrifying to Americans. 

I wish Stanika well. I doubt she'll find love but I hope she does. She seems to be entering this situation with good humor and hope (unlike Susan who is demanding immediate perfection).

Not sure who I am missing...oh yeah, pretty Sri Lankan. Nothing to say about her yet other than going to Colombia to avoid her mom's influence seems a bit extreme. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I might be in ~ first two episodes were OK so willing to give it a chance.  I think the matchmaker already has Susan pegged as too picky so not sure things can proceed well there.  She may just be a strong independent woman who isn’t willing to settle and might be happier on her own with her dog if he brings her more like her first date! But maybe there’s some hopeful surprises in store and not just boring annoying dates.

• Like 2

I find Susan fine in most respects, but how she treats that dog would be a dealbreaker. I'm a big dog lover myself, but they're not my children or my fur babies (ugh). Having it with her every moment and everywhere, talking to it and about it like it's her child... nope, not for me.

• Like 4