Type keyword(s) to search

Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets - General Discussion

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He predictably denounces the docuseries and cries about being in the public eye. Says they love every member of their family (sure Jan) and handle disagreements in private. 

Whatever. 

Because handling sexual assault in private really worked out so well for the family. 

Im confused about the timeline. Derick said they were engaged when the sexual assault was made public. I thought during the MK interview they were married and had Israel. 

• Like 8
(edited)
2 minutes ago, SMama said:

Because handling sexual assault in private really worked out so well for the family. 

Im confused about the timeline. Derick said they were engaged when the sexual assault was made public. I thought during the MK interview they were married and had Israel. 

Yes, it was June 2015. Izzy was an infant, and Jessa was pregnant with Spooge.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Rouge comma!
  • Like 7
1 minute ago, SMama said:

I thought during the MK interview they were married and had Israel. 

You are correct. He is full of shit. It broke in the spring of 2015. Israel was a few weeks old at the time. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Amy is--shockingly--not annoying me all that much.

I'm only one episode in but it feels like this series can't decide what it wants to be about, IBLP or the Duggars and thir assorted scandals. They're connected of course, but the storytelling feels disjointed. 

Jill so far hasn't said anything we don't already know, which I expected. Amy has offered more details of the Duggar household than Jill has. If the producers are going to spend so much time on the Duggar family, I'd have hoped there would be some new insights. How was it growing up in that house, exactly. I'm not even talking about Josh, but more like what was the environment like behind the cameras. Jill doesnt want to discuss the abuse and she therefore shouldn't, but aside from that, she's so far confirming my assumption that for her, the worst things about growing up Duggar was the In Touch story and the JB/TLC money issues. And for a docuseries that's ostensibly about the harm IBLP does to families, that's a really confusing editorial choice. 

• Like 15
  • Useful 4
(edited)

Episode 2 goes more into how bad Gothard is/was, bringing in other ex-IBPL. I felt so sorry for the woman who married and got abused .  Also the pearls are brought up.  

Edited by mom2two
  • Like 9
  • Useful 4
9 minutes ago, SMama said:

That was weird, because earlier he said they had discussed the abuse as a married couple before the story broke. The best I can figure is that he was trying to comment on how awful it was for In Touch to break the story when he hadn't even known about it when they were engaged. Meaning it's so personal that it should only be discussed with Ines spouse. 

Or he's just having trouble keeping his lies straight.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

It has dropped on Prime - I am watching episode 1 now

I just watched episode 1 on the East coast.  I thought it was pretty good.  No big surprises, of course, but a good review of the Duggars, TLC and Gothard history.  Some of it, I didn’t know and I watched every season. I’m plenty familiar with Fundie stuff though…unfortunately.  It still makes me angry and sick to see that stuff. Ugh…….I’ll look forward to the remaining episodes, though I’m not up to it tonight.  

I do think that after that episode…..it would hurt my heart to go to bed tonight as a Duggar….it has to sting….even if you did nothing wrong.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 6
  • Useful 3
6 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

$18 million wow. No wonder everyone is always on vacation. Jim Bob must have given all the adult kids a trust fund/payout of some kind.

Hope they don’t spend it all too quickly . . . 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

One episode was enough for me tonight as well. I might need to rewatch the first one. Other than Holt (and Amy slightly) it seems to me its not blowing up the Duggars in a terribly awful light. So far, to me anyway, it shows why and what the Duggars got caught up in and how they were used by Gothard.

• Like 5
(edited)
22 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I'm only one episode in but it feels like this series can't decide what it wants to be about, IBLP or the Duggars and thir assorted scandals. They're connected of course, but the storytelling feels disjointed

This disjointed storytelling continues throughout. It's bouncing around. Jill has not said anything we did not know before.... yet. I am in the middle of episode 3. I don't like Derick but I do like him in this - he's being respectfully quiet enough for me. 

The series actually talks about the "resolving conflicts privately" as the mantra of the IBLP - which is hilarious because that is exactly what Duggar's family statement says. Makes me wonder if Duggar even watched this.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
20 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Probably Jed! 🙄

Nah, he’s far less educated than JB. But inherited his entitlement and need to force his beliefs on others. 

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

This disjointed storytelling continues throughout. It's bouncing around. Jill has not said anything we did not know before.... yet. I am in the middle of episode 3. I don't like Derick but I do like him in this - he's being respectfully quiet enough for me. 

The series actually talks about the "resolving conflicts privately" as the mantra of the IBLP - which is hilarious because that is exactly what Duggar's family statement says. Makes me wonder if Duggar even watched this.

They won’t watch it, nor will they read Jill’s book, but they’ll be out there passing judgment on them both, just as they do with most things they don’t understand. 

• Like 18
  • Love 1

Okay episode four is talking about the larger evangelical movement to move Christians into government against the culture crisis.  "they are playing the long game and looking generations ahead to further the christian agenda.... the rise of Christian influencers..."

This is interesting given Derick/Jill and even Amy's participation. I wonder if they knew this would be included.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Jill used the word cult, good for her.

Dillon describing himself as emotional support husband cracked me up. Also his reaction to Michelle’s baby voice.

Tampons = devil sticks in IBLP and are confiscated. WTAF

He picked you to marry his most beautiful and intelligent daughter. Fucking evil whoever sent that awful text to Derick. 

Had Jessa married first would she have been JB’s most beautiful and intelligent daughter? 

Edited by SMama
  • Like 17
7 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Just finished all 4 episodes.  I think this was pretty well done.  For people who only know a little about the Duggars, I think this series was very eye-opening.  I thought Derick was very supportive and did a good job.  I feel even more sorry for what Jill has gone through.  Hopefully this will give people an insight into IBLP and information to think about before they get involved.  Amy's husband is kind of quirky, but I thought she did a pretty good job in a non-annoying way.  I agree with @Notabugthat it was strange to see the Holts together when we know what happened to them recently.  I'm still amazed that JB told Mr Holt (forgot his first name) that their daughter would be told about Josh's sexual molestations after they were married.  I'm glad the Holt daughter escaped that situation.  The Bateses were only shown for a few seconds while singing, but the logo for their show was flashed along with other TLC programs.  So at least they were mentioned as being in the same "cult".  Some of the "survivors" comments and life stories were very compelling.  This is worth the time to watch, in my opinion.

Mr. Holt's name is Jim. Not a lot of originality in AR c.1965. 😃

• LOL 16

I finished the series. Two thoughts for now:

1. IBLP is a couple of times referred to as a "cult" without really delving into what that truly means. I think that word is thrown around a little too loosely these days and I wish they'd spent some time exploring that and what it means. 

2. Paul and Morgan had a brief interview?!? They were barely in it, and I'm very curious to know what was cut out. When they showed the montage of Christian influencers, I knew who nearly all of them were. I guess I've been involved in this a little longer and more deeply than I realized. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
Just now, MaryAnneSpier said:

Paul and Morgan had a brief interview?!? They were barely in it, and I'm very curious to know what was cut out.

In what context did they appear? The news they were in this made me side-eye the documentary makers pretty hard. 

• Like 1

The context of now Fundies have kind of shifted their "outreach" to online platforms now to spread the message. JB and M used television back in the day to share their ministry, and now it's shifted to a different medium basically.

• Like 6
  • Useful 7
Just now, MaryAnneSpier said:

The context of now Fundies have kind of shifted their "outreach" to online platforms now to spread the message. JB and M used television back in the day to share their ministry, and now it's shifted to a different medium basically.

Interesting. I still don't really understand why Paul and Morgan specifically need to talk about it, especially since they have no connection to Gothard or IBLP that I'm aware of. (That's not directed at you. It's still directed at the documentary makers.) 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

Now knowing that JB and Michelle had them sign contracts not knowing what they were and also signing for them, it makes me wonder if Derrick went to law school just to figure out how much JB screwed them over. 

I wonder if TLC is in a big mess. They listed the kids as minors and had Michelle sign for them - but those kids were adults at the time. That seems pretty damning.

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

Interesting. I still don't really understand why Paul and Morgan specifically need to talk about it, especially since they have no connection to Gothard or IBLP that I'm aware of. (That's not directed at you. It's still directed at the documentary makers.) 

The show pivoted to extend from the focus on the IBLP to the larger Christian movement --- those entering into politics from the "Joshua movement" and those influencers loudly launching campaigns against transgenders for example - to reclaim christian values. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 8
(edited)

Wonder if JRod knows she makes a quick appearance?

Overall, it was really good. And while I would probably disagree w/Jill & Derek on a bunch of things, I do think it takes strength to go against family. I hope some of her siblings are supportive. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Like 15
  • Wink 1
3 hours ago, AstridM said:

They won’t watch it

Oh, I think the Duggars will all watch it, with the possible exception of Michelle.  Jim Bob will watch it for sure.  Correction:  Jim Bob probably has already watched the entire thing.

• Like 14
2 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Wonder if JRod knows she makes a quick appearance?

Overall, it was really good. And while I would probably disagree w/Jill & Derek on a bunch of things, I do think it takes strength to go against family. I hope some of her siblings are supportive. 

Oh dang! I missed JRod! I just binge watched all of it in my hotel room in London (thank you, VPN) but there was some buffering and at times I was listening without looking.

Not much surprised me, but then I was never a Duggar fan, and thanks to the innerntez I found out about Gothard and IBLP and all the nitty gritty stuff that TLC kinda forgot to make clear in its own march to cable TV success, if not complete domination. 

My first thought about Paul and Morgan are that they were picked for very short clips just to illustrate that the fundie evangelical movement is continuing via social media, as @MaryAnneSpier said. Maybe they were the only fundie influencers who would agree to appear. IMO they came across as nice young airheads for Jesus, in the clips that were used they were prettifying up the rule that women must submit to their husbands. Gosh, giggle, eye rolls, ain't we cute. **vomit**

I don't think TLC's in any legal trouble. The only people who can complain about Meech/JB signing contracts for them as minors, when they were over 18, are the kids in question. Sounds like they have now all signed up with lifetime deals with JB - except Jill. 

Anyway, I'm glad I had the time, and the hotel wifi bandwidth, to watch this today. I don't expect it to have any real effect on the power of the fundies, but I believe it does present information that we've known about, to a wider audience than may have been exposed to it before. 

• Like 13
  • Useful 1

I only watched the first episode, but from what Jill said in that episode and from what I'm reading here, it almost seems as if she was a sacrificial lamb to give the Duggar slant more legitimacy.

The first two things she said were, I don't really want to do this and I want to be able to control what is said. Yet she had no control over what was said, the questions asked to her or what the series aired. Its hard to watch Jill continue to be manipulated and her only obvious supports are a vengeful husband, an attention whore cousin and a truly bat shit crazy aunt. 

There is no way this can be easy for her, especially while still having one foot in both worlds. This is not a way I rooted for a Duggar kidult to "break free" at all.

• Like 17
  • Sad 1
Just now, merylinkid said:

If Bobye Holt does know where the Duggar bodies are buried, I hope she spills big time now that she is free.   FF might be the worst scandal, but its not the only one.

I wonder if doing the docuseries opened her eyes a little wider and it was what let her know she needed to, and could, leave her husband.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm glad I got reports about how strange it was to see him and Bobye together, knowing what we do now. 

I'm not very well versed on the Holts. Basically I know nothing much about them except for reading their names here and that Jim was a friend of JimBlobs. What happened with them? I just started the Netflix series. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

I'm not very well versed on the Holts. Basically I know nothing much about them except for reading their names here and that Jim was a friend of JimBlobs. What happened with them? I just started the Netflix series. 

A very quick rundown...

The Holts and Duggars were BFFS with Jim and JB's friendship starting in childhood. Their two oldest were to be married - but, well Josh. Bobye Holt recently was granted a life restraining order against her husband.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 9
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The Holts and Duggars were BFFS with Jim and JB's friendship starting in childhood. Their two oldest were to be married - but, well Josh. Bobye Holt recently was granted a life restraining order against her husband.

Bobye was 14 years old when someone set her up on a blind date with 19 year old Jim, they tell us in episode one of this docu-series - Jim hastily adds that he had no idea, he was told she was older, she looked mature. But finding out her real age didn't stop him continuing to date her and then marry her when she was of age.

I've never watched any of the Duggar shows, but I have lurked in this forum for a few years - ever since the Josh scandal broke and I came here to find out more, since it was the first I'd ever heard of these people. I figured I would watch this docu-series. One episode down, three to go...

• Like 13
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, SMama said:

I'm watching Episode 2 now. Derick said that he didn't know about the sexual assault when they were engaged - meaning, that that was something that would be reasonable to know when at that level of commitment. I don't think it has to do with the timeline of when the information was made public and their marital status.

• Like 8
  • Useful 10
(edited)
51 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I also think maybe Jill chose not to focus on that part of her story. She wanted to speak her truth about the abuse going public and then the TLC contract issues.

That's the impression I got as well. The problem is that this series is supposed to be about IBLP specifically, so it made no sense for Jill to be in it other than getting eyes on the screen.

It would make much more sense for her to be in a docuseries about kids who grew up on reality tv/social media. There's been a lot of discussion on the topic recently, with the first generation of family blogger children reaching adulthood.

Dillon with Amy was not bad but a better pairing might have been Deanna and Amy. I have doubts Deanna knew nothing. Would Mary never have said a word to Deanna?

I was surprised that Deanna and JB grew up in such a strict household, considering how JB always described their father. If Mary was that religious, I'm not surprise she wouldn't share anything about JB with Deanna.

Edited by lascuba
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I ended up watching all four episodes this evening. The flow was pretty good as in the episodes were only about 40 minutes long and it went by quickly. 

Now knowing that JB and Michelle had them sign contracts not knowing what they were and also signing for them, it makes me wonder if Derrick went to law school just to figure out how much JB screwed them over. 

That is what I have always thought.  And to make sure it never happens again.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1