Type keyword(s) to search

Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

image.png.a3951e1729704362a418f0324f94bb67.png

Yikes, he looks like he should be portraying a suspect on the ID Channel!  I know this was filmed about 2 years ago, but he was in law school and should've thought about his future.  Hardly the picture of an aspiring ADA.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 4
On 5/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Production interviewed Jen from Fundie Fridays, and she made the cut! Watch out for her clip on Reddit. She just aired it live on her YT. 

She promises that they are going after the IBLP, hard. 

I haven't found Jen to be a reliable source and was surprised she made the cut. She's pretty sloppy with her facts in her rush to bring down the Christian right and religious cults. So while I appreciate her videos casting light on these groups I hope other sources who at least have some experience with Gothard and his cronies are featured and not anymore YouTubers, vloggers or other media folk who use the Duggars for views.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 5/19/2023 at 4:01 AM, ChristmasCandy said:

What I really want to hear is what Famy is going to say.

Probably something like I always knew they were weirdos look how they dressed. Very insightful stuff of course 🙄

I really want to know how they got Jill to do this documentary, she’s not getting paid so what’s the point? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

Probably something like I always knew they were weirdos look how they dressed. Very insightful stuff of course 🙄

I really want to know how they got Jill to do this documentary, she’s not getting paid so what’s the point? 

She has said, "There's a story that's going to be told, and I would rather be the one telling it.".  No idea if that’s her answer to the question of why she participated.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

My theory as to why Jill participated is Jinger's book, Derick, Amy and the producers.

IMO, Jill believes doing the docuseries is similar to Jinger writing her book, so it feels somewhat safe/okay to her, to do this. Then I think Derick and Amy pushed her toward it for their own selfish reasons and then I think the producers talked her into it by promising her things that are likely not true.

This is all pure speculation on my part. I also think Jill might (at least partially) regret doing it. I guess it all depends on what Jill says, how the film is edited and how much Jill has communicated with her mom about it.

• Useful 5
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My theory as to why Jill participated is Jinger's book, Derick, Amy and the producers.

IMO, Jill believes doing the docuseries is similar to Jinger writing her book, so it feels somewhat safe/okay to her, to do this. Then I think Derick and Amy pushed her toward it for their own selfish reasons and then I think the producers talked her into it by promising her things that are likely not true.

This is all pure speculation on my part. I also think Jill might (at least partially) regret doing it. I guess it all depends on what Jill says, how the film is edited and how much Jill has communicated with her mom about it.

I read the People interview with the producer, and she said something about some of the participants being reluctant and how she had to coax them into telling their story. Something about her phrasing made me think that some of those participants are going to be in for an unpleasant surprise when they see the final product. I have the feeling that the Holts, Jill, and anyone else with a foot still in the Gothard/fundie door will, indeed, regret it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 7
(edited)

WOACB says that someone named Kate has put on her podcast that in the documentary, Jill accuses JB of forging her signature on a TLC contract and Jill was forced to film the birth of Israel and give the footage to TLC, with no payment to Jill.

eta:  This is the payment that Jill & Derrick later sued for.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Useful 6
1 minute ago, Gemma Violet said:

WOACB says that someone named Kate has put on her podcast that in the documentary, Jill accuses JB of forging her signature on a TLC contract and Jill was forced to film the birth and give the footage to TLC, with no payment to Jill.

I'm confused - Jill filmed which birth? It was my understanding TLC filmed both Izzy and Sam's birth, but didn't air Sam's. So how would Jill give TLC the footage?

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm confused - Jill filmed which birth? It was my understanding TLC filmed both Izzy and Sam's birth, but didn't air Sam's. So how would Jill give TLC the footage?

There was a lot of home footage of Jill laboring at home before they finally caved and went to the hospital. I'm not sure how much of the birth TLC actually filmed. 

• Useful 4
13 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

There was a lot of home footage of Jill laboring at home before they finally caved and went to the hospital. I'm not sure how much of the birth TLC actually filmed. 

Oh, okay, well then it all makes sense.

I can see JB doing something so vile and not caring because at the time he thought all 19 and spouses were firmly under his thumb. It may explain why he gave the Dillards money, discovery would have buried him. 

• Like 13
19 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

TLC *did* film a post birth announcement from the hospital. Jill promotes the show. 

And if I'm remembering the episode correctly Derick and Jill did talking heads throughout the episode.

• Like 4

Jill publicly accusing JB of forging her signature would be going full scorched earth. That would sever all ties with her mother at the very least. I'd be shocked if she went there. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

WOACB says that someone named Kate has put on her podcast that in the documentary, Jill accuses JB of forging her signature on a TLC contract and Jill was forced to film the birth of Israel and give the footage to TLC, with no payment to Jill.

eta:  This is the payment that Jill & Derrick later sued for.

I thought it was said she received the payment for her time as an adult on the show(s)? One of them stated it ended up working out to amount to minimum wage.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I thought it was said she received the payment for her time as an adult on the show(s)? One of them stated it ended up working out to amount to minimum wage.

I may have misunderstood what WOACB said in her video.  

43 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

JB gave the Dillards a payout after they left the show. It's thought that is how they bought their first house, and possibly law school tuition as well.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

listening to WOACB right now and yes, that is the claim. jill/derrick never got paid. they finally filed a wage claim and got minimum wage settlement. they did not ever have a contract and yes, it appears that JB did forge her signature.  and on and on...

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
7 hours ago, Zella said:

And yet Derick had previously referenced a contract! 

If JB did forge Jill’s signature then there was a contract. J&D were operating on the knowledge they had not signed a contract. It actually makes sense now. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Yes, to all of this. They knew their eldest son was sexually abusing four of their daughters and did fuck-all about it, including getting real therapy for these then girls. Cruel doesn’t even begin to describe them. 

All of this. But these are the same nitwits who think that type of thing happens in most families. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

JB gave the Dillards a payout after they left the show. It's thought that is how they bought their first house, and possibly law school tuition as well.

They didn't sue JB, they filed for payment with Arkansas that they filmed a reality show and were not paid.  The contracts were with JB only.  There is some sort of law that the parents need to pay their minor children for filming but clearly he didn't pay them.  She was able to get minimum wage for the times she filmed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
33 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

They didn't sue JB, they filed for payment with Arkansas that they filmed a reality show and were not paid.  The contracts were with JB only.  There is some sort of law that the parents need to pay their minor children for filming but clearly he didn't pay them.  She was able to get minimum wage for the times she filmed.

The Coogan Law doesn't apply in AR. It's a state by state law. Jill also deserved to be paid as an adult. Her wedding was the second highest rated episode, behind only Jessa's wedding. Israel's birth was also highly rated. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2

Yes, the wage claim was for their time on the show as adults.  

I'm a bit baffled at this point and perhaps the show will explain it better.  If JB forged her signature, why didn't they go with that and refuse to provide their film?  Is he that good of a forger, his force of personality is that great, Jill caved?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Yes, the wage claim was for their time on the show as adults.  

I'm a bit baffled at this point and perhaps the show will explain it better.  If JB forged her signature, why didn't they go with that and refuse to provide their film?  Is he that good of a forger, his force of personality is that great, Jill caved?

Its also odd, that when Derick was rage posting and interacting with commenters on IG, he never once alluded to any forgery. He had at least 3 different stories regarding TLC contracts so one would think he would have mentioned that.

• Like 10
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Its also odd, that when Derick was rage posting and interacting with commenters on IG, he never once alluded to any forgery. He had at least 3 different stories regarding TLC contracts so one would think he would have mentioned that.

Maybe he didn't want to totally alienate Jill from her family? More of them were still at home then. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
14 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The Coogan Law doesn't apply in AR. It's a state by state law. Jill also deserved to be paid as an adult. Her wedding was the second highest rated episode, behind only Jessa's wedding. Israel's birth was also highly rated. 

Absolum explained it correctly.  I had details wrong.  It was a wage claim deal.  All I really remembered is it wasn't filed against JB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

We’ll have to see what they say but I remember something that Derick and Jill thought they were “volunteers” that no one was getting paid, it was a “ministry”, because that is what JB told them. But then something happened with one of the births and they wanted TLC to pay for some of their bills? TLC probably said something like it’s in their contract and Jill was like “what contract”? (I could be totally wrong here, this stuff happened years ago and we’ve only gotten bits and pieces scattered along the way) Basically JB lied (SHOCKER) But if he forged Jill’s signature for the TLC contracts, wouldn’t he have had to forge the other adults? And if he did do that, why isn’t TLC super pissed about it?  TLC and JB both suck so whatever.

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

My hopes are high; my expectations lower.

in my dreams, I want this documentary to be a scorched-earth takedown of this family and this cult. I want the IRS involved. I want JB to finish destitute, such that his kids and their spouses will be forced to find legitimate, paid employment. I want this series shown at Pest’s prison, so his fellow inmates see it and lose their (what I perceive to be) blasé attitudes toward him.

I want this vile fundamentalist world collapse in a roar of flames.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Like seeing all of them able to jet off to wherever whenever without seeming to do much work infuriates me. Along with the dozens of LLCs. You can’t tell me there’s not some shady financial stuff going on there.

• Like 21

It would be nice to think this cult would be taken down from this docuseries, but I think that is unlikely.

What I wish is does, is to open folks eyes and nudge them closer to reality, open the door to freedom for those who are ready, and hold those in power accountable. I wish no ill will for the Duggar kids or grandkids for what their parents/grandparents did. I do hope this docuseries gives the grandkids a chance at living more open and accepting lives, but I'm afraid its going to take more than this documentary to fully wake up their parents.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

in my dreams, I want this documentary to be a scorched-earth takedown of this family and this cult. I want the IRS involved. I want JB to finish destitute, such that his kids and their spouses will be forced to find legitimate, paid employment. I want this series shown at Pest’s prison, so his fellow inmates will see it and lose their (what I perceive to be) blasé attitudes toward him.

I want this vile fundamentalist world to collapse in a roar of flames.

I want all of that to happen to the Bates, too. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 9
  • Useful 1

With the obvious exception of Josh, I don't have an issue with the Duggarlings jetting around. I may not like them (understatement), but I do think that they're owed financial compensation/vacations after their parents so blatantly exploited them on TV. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

in my dreams, I want this documentary to be a scorched-earth takedown of this family and this cult. I want the IRS involved. I want JB to finish destitute, such that his kids and their spouses will be forced to find legitimate, paid employment. I want this series shown at Pest’s prison, so his fellow inmates will see it and lose their (what I perceive to be) blasé attitudes toward him.

I want this vile fundamentalist world to collapse in a roar of flames.

With luck the IRS will get involved after seeing the doc.   It might not be THE thing that brings them down, but it might help.

I have to believe other fed agencies are involved after seeing the "car lot" that FF worked at.   Yet there was probably claimed income.   Not to mention all the LLCs filed means money is being moved around -- maybe legally, maybe not.   But surely SOMEONE has their radar on this family.   We just haven't heard about it because the feds tend not to leak.   

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, Trillium said:

We’ll have to see what they say but I remember something that Derick and Jill thought they were “volunteers” that no one was getting paid, it was a “ministry”, because that is what JB told them. But then something happened with one of the births and they wanted TLC to pay for some of their bills? TLC probably said something like it’s in their contract and Jill was like “what contract”? (I could be totally wrong here, this stuff happened years ago and we’ve only gotten bits and pieces scattered along the way) Basically JB lied (SHOCKER) But if he forged Jill’s signature for the TLC contracts, wouldn’t he have had to forge the other adults? And if he did do that, why isn’t TLC super pissed about it?  TLC and JB both suck so whatever.

If I remember correctly, Derick and Jill wanted TLC to pay the medical bills from Israel's birth, since they had an unexpected c-section and NICU stay and TLC got a highly rated episode out of it. TLC told them they already paid JB for that episode. That kicked off Derick's rage spiral.

Not that I would put anything past JB, but I don't think he'd forge Jill's signature, if only because he wouldn't have had to. I'd imagine that he just plopped a contract in front of all the newly turned 18 year olds and told them they had to sign something for TLC now that they were of age, and no one asked any questions.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, lascuba said:

If I remember correctly, Derick and Jill wanted TLC to pay the medical bills from Israel's birth, since they had an unexpected c-section and NICU stay and TLC got a highly rated episode out of it. TLC told them they already paid JB for that episode. That kicked off Derick's rage spiral.

Not that I would put anything past JB, but I don't think he'd forge Jill's signature, if only because he wouldn't have had to. I'd imagine that he just plopped a contract in front of all the newly turned 18 year olds and told them they had to sign something for TLC now that they were of age, and no one asked any questions.

I'm not happy that a guy who was pitching a public hissy fit over (Jill's well deserved) money is somehow now a "good guy". He pulled an innocent child and two dads, never mind the entire LGBTQ+ community, into a family feud. IMO, Derick's behavior was immature, unnecessary, hateful and harmful. But somehow he ended up on the right side of this documentary. Go figure.

• Like 16
17 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Nah, I would bet he created one of his LLCs and said the kids were all employees of the LLC and would be paid by the LLC.   Then he signed the contract on behalf of the LLC.   

Derrick can be terrible for having his hateful beliefs, but he was EXACTLY RIGHT here.   Every single one of the adult children should have had separate contracts.   Or if JB did what I think he did, the adults should have been paid and the minors have the money put away for them.   Instead JB had to be slick like he always is -- and he got caught.   because he is not as smart as he thinks he is.

• Like 22
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not happy that a guy who was pitching a public hissy fit over (Jill's well deserved) money is somehow now a "good guy". He pulled an innocent child and two dads, never mind the entire LGBTQ+ community, into a family feud. IMO, Derick's behavior was immature, unnecessary, hateful and harmful. But somehow he ended up on the right side of this documentary. Go figure.

Yeah, the Holts aren't the only one who's presence in the documentary is turning me off. Even within the Duggar extended universe, I don't consider Derick a good guy.

• Like 10

Isn't forging someone's signature on a contract against the law? If this has been done, why isn't the guilty party being prosecuted for fraud and uttering a forgery etc? We'll have to seen what, if anything, comes of this statement from Jill.

• Like 10
16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Nah, I would bet he created one of his LLCs and said the kids were all employees of the LLC and would be paid by the LLC.   Then he signed the contract on behalf of the LLC.   

Wouldn't that still require the adults' signatures, though? I'm genuinely asking... I don't know anything about LLCs in this context, but TLC/Discovery is too large a corporation to just accept anyone's word on something like that, I would think. If JB claimed the kidults were employees, he would have had to have documents backing that up.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, SMama said:

If JB did forge Jill’s signature then there was a contract. J&D were operating on the knowledge they had not signed a contract. It actually makes sense now. 

That's not at all how he talked about a contract. though. He was speaking about the contract as if it was one he was fully aware he'd signed. This is why I don't trust Derick. He can't keep his lies straight. 

• Like 10