Type keyword(s) to search

Agent Carter in the Media

Maybe it would help. If she's in another popular series and she's willing to do both, which it sounds like she is, it can only bring viewers to this one.

If ABC wants it to work, it will.

The last few seasons, the network has been doing longer seasons for its comedies with 26ish, and shorter season for its dramas, except Grey's which usually does 25/26+.

Yeah, I think that's not a good sign for Agent Carter. Also not a good sign is the fact that they've switched their schedule around to burn it off (it's now ending at the end of February instead of going into March). That indicates ABC isn't happy with the ratings.

I had a feeling last season that AC would get renewed because of Marvel, but a 0.8 might be just too low to make the show worth it. I think *maybe* it gets a third season if it can hold at a 0.8 the next few weeks but if it goes any lower, it's toast. I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I think that's not a good sign for Agent Carter. Also not a good sign is the fact that they've switched their schedule around to burn it off (it's now ending at the end of February instead of going into March). That indicates ABC isn't happy with the ratings.

I had a feeling last season that AC would get renewed because of Marvel, but a 0.8 might be just too low to make the show worth it. I think *maybe* it gets a third season if it can hold at a 0.8 the next few weeks but if it goes any lower, it's toast. I hope I'm wrong.

The end date, Mar 1, is still the same. Its only doubling up the next tweo weeks because it started two weeks later than planned because Obama scheduled a speech for Jan 12. Its doubling up on those particular weeks because theyre the only weeks w/o a primary.

The end date, Mar 1, is still the same. Its only doubling up the next tweo weeks because it started two weeks later than planned because Obama scheduled a speech for Jan 12. Its doubling up on those particular weeks because theyre the only weeks w/o a primary.

And there are probably plans for Agents of SHIELD to tie into Captain America: Civil War that TPTB don't want to slip

• Love 1

Will be really disappointed if there is no season 3 but even worse if we do not get any closure.

Such as: seeing Peggy, Stark, Jarvis and whomever start Shield.  Who the heck turns out to be Mr. Peggy Carter. 

• Love 3

Paul Lee is out as head of ABC Entertainment. I think this cements this season as the last we'll see of Peggy Carter at ABC.

Not necessarily; the Marvel stuff was forced on Lee, and he saw ABC as its own brand. The guy who picked Lee's replacement has been clear that ABC is a peice in the larger Disney machine. And Disney clearly wants fresh Marvel content available almost consistently.

• Love 1
I think it speaks to Hayley's strengths that I'm wiling to give the new show a chance just because she is in it.

Yeah, she's about the only reason I'll give it a shot, because the premise sounds so very un-original and procedural.  I'm about 50-50 with legal shows, so hopefully its good.

• Love 1
(edited)

This interview doesn't seem very hopeful for more. :(

How do you feel about the show’s chances for a third season?
FAZEKAS: Bad. People have to watch the show. While I would love to see it continue on, it’s a bummer — a bummer for all of us, cast included. Everybody loves the job, everybody loves working together. I would love to see it live on, even if it’s in some other form, digital or whatever. I doubt that there’s a Netflix play for it. We’re not really involved in those decisions anyway. At the end of the day, people have to watch the show.
Edited by stealinghome

Why 'Marvel's Agent Carter' Should Battle On

Gender is an important consideration for Marvel as well. It shouldn’t keep the show on the air simply because it has a female lead, but because Peggy Carter is a wonderfully nuanced and complex female character, one who’s imbued with exceptional charisma and charm by star Hayley Atwell. Having just one major female lead in the Marvel TV universe — Jessica Jones — is not enough, and settling for that state of affairs smacks of tokenism. That is not the route a company that’s been hammered for its lack of female representation wants to take.

(edited)

Marvel has done VERY well on television so far with their female characters.  The many female characters on Agents of Shield arguably drive the bulk of the action.  We have the aforementioned Jessica Jones and Daredevil's female characters are also very good and manage to stand on their own.  None of the Marvel shows has ever been an embarrassment with their female characters the way The Flash has been.  There are certainly things to criticize Marvel for but lack of female representation of their various TV properties is not one of them.

I've saw one other article last year complaining about female characters in Marvel TV shows but it was clear the writer was just trying to instigate a flame war.

I hope Agent Carter does come back.  Netflix would be a great home for it and I think it would do well online.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

Marvel has done VERY well on television so far with their female characters.  The many female characters on Agents of Shield arguably drive the bulk of the action.  We have the aforementioned Jessica Jones and Daredevil's female characters are also very good and manage to stand on their own.  None of the Marvel shows has ever been an embarrassment with their female characters the way The Flash has been.  There are certainly things to criticize Marvel for but lack of female representation of their various TV properties is not one of them.

I've saw one other article last year complaining about female characters in Marvel TV shows but it was clear the writer was just trying to instigate a flame war.

I hope Agent Carter does come back.  Netflix would be a great home for it and I think it would do well online.

I agree everything is overlooked because Clark Greg's Director Coulson exist but both on gender but also racial filters Agents Of SHIELD has everything Agent Carter gets praise for

• Love 1
(edited)

Most definitely.  I didn't even think about it on the diversity front but Agents of Shield is VERY strong when it comes to their main and recurring casts.

I also forgot to add that Marvel is attempting to spin off Mockingbird and her husband Lance to their own show.  So their next ABC property is going to have a female lead whose character is a bigger badass than its male lead.  Marvel is absolutely fine when it comes to female representation when it comes to their ABC and Netflix shows.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Most definitely.  I didn't even think about it on the diversity front but Agents of Shield is VERY strong when it comes to their main and recurring casts.

I also forgot to add that Marvel is attempting to spin off Mockingbird and her husband Lance to their own show.  So their next ABC property is going to have a female lead whose character is a bigger badass than its male lead.  Marvel is absolutely fine when it comes to female representation when it comes to their ABC and Netflix shows.

With the exception of Agent May and whatever they're calling Mary Sue these days, doesn't AOS have a a problem with their POC characters getting killed?

(edited)
There are certainly things to criticize Marvel for but lack of female representation of their various TV properties is not one of them.

I don't agree with that. I think Marvel's TV properties are fine but not aspirational, if that distinction makes sense. Like I don't think they've dropped the ball on the TV properties and they generally do a good job with the characters they include, but I don't think one female superhero co-lead, one non-superhero female lead, and one failed-superheroine-lead is exactly reaching for the stars. They could, and IMHO, should do more (*cough*DaughtersoftheDragon instead of Iron Fist*cough*). But I am mostly happy with what they are doing.

Their film properties, on the other hand... 

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 3

Mack's character has thrived and become more important over the course of the season.  They officially had two POC characters who were killed off and one of them was likely due to the fact that the actress had just been cast on another show.

I don't agree with that. I think Marvel's TV properties are fine but not aspirational, if that distinction makes sense. Like I don't think they've dropped the ball on the TV properties and they generally do a good job with the characters they include, but I don't think one female superhero co-lead, one non-superhero female lead, and one failed-superheroine-lead is exactly reaching for the stars. They could, and IMHO, should do more (*cough*DaughtersoftheDragon instead of Iron Fist*cough*). But I am mostly happy with what they are doing.

Their film properties, on the other hand... 

I guess we'll agree to disagree with that.

Iron Fist is a property that's been around for a long time and people have heard of, unlike Daughters of the Dragon.  The character also has stronger ties to other Marvel characters like Luke Cage.

• Love 1

The actor that played Tripp is on contract on "Being Mary Jane" on BET, and the actress that played Raina got a contract role on a new show, I believe "Priest"based on the comic of the same name and starrring Dominic Cooper aka Howard Stark.

With the exception of Agent May and whatever they're calling Mary Sue these days, doesn't AOS have a a problem with their POC characters getting killed?

It's only a problem if if there were no POC characters on the show to begin with. The show has had both heroes and villians of color and if you are a villain (And not Ward) you usually die at the end of your season. As for heroes there has been a death and he was a POC but that doesn't make it a problem.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Anybody ever hear of Nerd Reactor?

http://nerdreactor.com/2016/03/04/exclusive-agent-carter-to-be-renewed-for-season-3/

They are saying that ABC plans a renewal, the MCU connection being strong enough to make the ratings disappointment bearable.

"A source that works on the show has revealed to us that ABC has decided to stick with the show and will be renewing Agent Carter for season three."

I guess we'd have to know how credible the "source" is. Is it a gofer who may have misinterpreted something overheard? Or is it a bigwig?

Edited by shapeshifter

I'd be delighted to have a third season, if only to close some loose ends (thompson and the SOE file, obviously), but the writers have to get into a more engaging SL for Peggy if the season is validated. She has to have major stakes for her, and not these stakes being about her love life. I would like to see her evolve in her job now that she kinda overcame the disrepect she had for being a woman, she has to face other hardships coming from other places.

As for the villains, I found Whitney Frost to be extremely compelling and really liked some of the themes her story broached (movie stars getting older, women disregarded as scientists and her parallels with Peggy) but they need to really work on their climax, because her demise fell really flat.,

Now, I haven't watched any CA movies nor watched AoS (tried the Pilot and really, really didn't like it), and I felt Agent Carter managed well on its own, But it is possible that being a part of the MCU, lots of viewers expect the show to tie with AoS or the other pictures. I'd understand that for S3 to get better viewings/ratings, they might need to tie it more with the rest of the universe.

But if I'm completely honest, I could watch Peggy and Jarvis' banter for a whole season just because Atwell and D'Arcy put a huge smile on my face everytime they are on screen together. Considering most of what I watch if often grim and heavy, sometimes all I need from a TV show id that light heartedness those two bring me.

Anyway, that might be a little premature since S3 is far form being confirmed

• Love 2
(edited)

Conficting reports regarding S3 renewal...

Exclusive: Agent Carter to be renewed for season 3
March 4, 2016 John 'Spartan' Nguyen
http://nerdreactor.com/2016/03/04/exclusive-agent-carter-to-be-renewed-for-season-3/

However, we have some good news. A source within the studio has revealed to us that ABC has decided to stick with the show and will be renewing Agent Carter for season three. Marvel hasn’t made the official announcement yet, but it has revealed that Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been renewed for season four.

Agent Carter Season 3 Rumored To Be Renewed
Jay Jayson- 03/06/2016
http://comicbook.com/2016/03/06/agent-carter-season-3-rumored-to-be-renewed/

We reached out to one of our sources and we were told Season 3 is not a done deal yet.
Edited by tv echo

My android phone gives me article recommendations based on my google searches. I have gotten a good amount about Agent Carter being renewed, and each time I open it hoping there will be a different source. But they're all coming from the same place, so that isn't a very promising sample. :-( Whatshisname from TV Guide thinks renewal is unlikely. Not that those guys are always right either.

• Love 1

Hey, a question I asked in Matt Roush's column on TV Insider got answered! (I'm the Linda of the Agent Carter question.) It's not the answer I wanted, but I'm still going to hold out the (possibly irrational) hope that the rumors mentioned above are true and it will be renewed. 

• Love 1

Chad Michael Murray is making the most of pilot season.

Agent Carter’s Chad Michael Murray is set to star as rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Sam Phillips in Million Dollar Quartet (working title), CMT’s upcoming scripted drama inspired by the Broadway musical. Jennifer Holland (American Horror Story) will play Sam’s devoted wife Becky Phillips, while Margaret Anne Florence (Inside Amy Schumer, 30 Rock) is set to play his assistant-turned-girlfriend, Marion Keisker. Production begins this spring in Memphis with the series slated to premiere this November on CMT.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/chad-michael-murray-star-million-dollar-quartet-jennifer-holland-margaret-anne-florence-cast-1201720147/

Chad Michael Murray is making the most of pilot season.

Hence (in my mind) the Jack Thompson maybe dead/maybe not dead finale for his character. If the new show and his role in it become all consuming, his Agent Carter character can be buried. If, OTOH, he can do both (if Agent Carter is renewed and CMM's new show is actually picked up) or if he only needs to do one (because both are not picked up/airing), then Jack Thompson lives.

I can't imagine a show on CMT would be all-consuming. It would probably have a short season like Agent Carter, and therefore would probably be decently easy to schedule if need be. (Particularly if Agent Carter stays on it's usual filming/ airing schedule, which sounds like the opposite of this new show.).

Now Agent Carter just needs TO GET RENEWED! (pretty please?)

• Love 2

The leads of both of ABCs mid-season event series (Agent Carter and Galavant) plus CMM have announced pilots before their shows are cancelled.  It sounds a lot like the shows are all but cancelled and they have known for some time but are holding back the official announcement.  I suspect ABC is going with a different strategy for mid season programming and are holding off announcing cancelation until they reveal what they are doing instead at upfronts.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Bubble Watch: Status Report On ‘Castle’, ‘Nashville’, ‘Criminal Minds’, ‘CSI: Cyber’, ‘Sleepy Hollow’ & Other Series In Danger
by Nellie Andreeva • April 15, 2016 7:52pm
http://deadline.com/2016/04/canceled-or-renewed-castle-nashville-criminal-minds-csi-cyber-sleepy-hollow-mysteries-of-laura-bubble-1201738298/

... Marvel’s Agent Carter, whose star Hayley Atwell already was recruited for an ABC pilot, Conviction, does not look good, especially with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff Marvel’s Most Wanted waiting in the wings.
Edited by tv echo

Clark Gregg beat Hayley Atwell in their Lip Sync Battle on Spike TV (from last night) - fyi, that woman in the suit is Clark Gregg's real life wife, Jennifer Grey...

Lip Sync Battle #TeamSHIELD Clark Gregg vs #TeamCARTER Hayley Atwell

Clark Gregg’s “Toxic” vs. Hayley Atwell’s “Bad Romance” | Lip Sync Battle

Clark Gregg’s Winner Moment | Lip Sync Battle

Clark Gregg vs. Hayley Atwell (Preshow) | Lip Sync Battle

Disappointing but not surprising.  Still, I wish they would get at least one more season to wrap everything up.

Was ABC really surprised about Most Wanted?  People weren't excited about the idea last year and they still went ahead with it a year later.  The ratings for Agents of Shield just doesn't justify spinoffs.

• Love 2
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎03 at 6:38 PM, benteen said:

Disappointing but not surprising.  Still, I wish they would get at least one more season to wrap everything up.

Was ABC really surprised about Most Wanted?  People weren't excited about the idea last year and they still went ahead with it a year later.  The ratings for Agents of Shield just doesn't justify spinoffs.

It is too bad TV movies aren't really a thing any more, since I think Agent Carter would make a really fun TV movie. Just something fun and light with a relatively brief plot. I think it might actually work better in that format than as a series.

As for Most Wanted I really have no idea what the hell they have been thinking trying to make that thing happen.

• Love 4