Type keyword(s) to search

Agent Carter in the Media

Enver Gjokaj is definitely a plus.  Not only was he one of my favorite things about Dollhouse, but he tends to be great in everything I've seen him in; no matter how small the role is.

Chad Michael Murray, though?  Eh... it's not enough to derail my excitement, but I don't find him very impressive.

• Love 2

Agreed, he was one of the best finds of Dollhouse, particularly for his talent at morphing into extremely different personas.  He would be a natural for a TV spy. CCM? WTF?? Not anything like as happy (he was bad even by the terrible WB/CW standards) But...like other washed up teen idols before him, he may well surprise me.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2

I just hope The Chad will be playing what I call an Intentional Asshole.  He turns every character he plays into one anyway, so they should just make it on purpose.  I'm also hoping the show will have a Big Death for the first season and he will be the corpse.

In other, way better, news, Enver!  I've loved him since Dollhouse and this is the final incentive I need to watch this show.  He's such an amazing actor and I hope this is merely a stepping stone for him as he makes his way to becoming a huge star.

• Love 1

James D'Arcy will be playing Edwin Jarvis, Howard Stark's butler and an ally for Peggy.  Of course, I'm going to assume they'll find a way to show why Jarvis' name is going to be used for the JARVIS system, Tony uses in the Iron Man films.

Well if he is the Stark family butler it would make sense since young cocky kind of an asshole Tony would totally be the guy would get used to yelling for Jarvis anytime he needed anything. Once he was on his own I could totally picture him naming his computer system JARVIS because it basically served the same role and he wouldn't want the hassle of learning a new name. Although if this guy is the real Jarvis, then why is Paul Bettany the voice of computer Jarvis?

Edited by Kel Varnsen

Well if he is the Stark family butler it would make sense since young cocky kind of an asshole Tony would totally be the guy would get used to yelling for Jarvis anytime he needed anything. Once he was on his own I could totally picture him naming his computer system JARVIS because it basically served the same role and he wouldn't want the hassle of learning a new name. Although if this guy is the real Jarvis, then why is Paul Bettany the voice of computer Jarvis?

Presumably the real Jarvis is dead by the time Tony creates JARVIS. He'd be about 100 years old.

I thought Chad Michael Murray was really enjoyable in the Crackle series 'Chosen.' If he brings that level of intensity to this show then I think he will surprise people. He has gotten better as an actor over the years from what I can tell.

• Love 2

The show is supposed to take over AoS' s timeslot in Jan & Feb, but I really hope ABC wisens up and moves both Carter and AoS to a more favorable slot like Wed at 10.

Nashville is currently wasting the slot, and I believe AHS: Freak Show will be over come Jan and I can't think of anything else in the slot. Stalker and Chicago PD are weak; the slot is ripe for the picking and perfect for a demo show like AoS.

• Love 2
The show is supposed to take over AoS' s timeslot in Jan & Feb, but I really hope ABC wisens up and moves both Carter and AoS to a more favorable slot like Wed at 10.

Wednesdays at 10pm was another historic weak spot for ABC, Nashville is there trying to inject some counter programming to potentially more male dominated series. It's actually been semi successful at that, although never a hit. They'll never move AOS or AC to 10pm though, that would rule out a lot of the demo they want to be watching live. It's why AOS was originally an 8pm show (with 8pm acceptable violence). Every slot on TV has competition, even Fridays is well booked out. Shows are hopefully given the best chance (obviously not always true) and then succeed or sink on their own merits. Tuesday at 8pm wasn't seen as a terrible slot for AOS last season, weak comedies, aging older skewing procedural etc, but it didn't work out that way really.

It's strange that ABC has yet to announce what will be airing Tue at 8 leading into Carter starting Jan 13. I kept expecting them to announce either Fresh off the Boat or the Shark Tank spin-off for the slot, but its getting a little late to promote that now. At this point, I'd guess Carter or Shield repeats will take the slot.

On another, barely semi-related note, I love the new promo where that mobster looking guy says something like "what's your name sweetheart?" and Peggy says "Agent".

• Love 1
It's strange that ABC has yet to announce what will be airing Tue at 8 leading into Carter starting Jan 13. I kept expecting them to announce either Fresh off the Boat or the Shark Tank spin-off for the slot, but its getting a little late to promote that now. At this point, I'd guess Carter or Shield repeats will take the slot.

Apparently, according to this promo off Spoilertv.com, it's a two hour premiere starting at 8pm

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/12/agent-carter-new-promo-powerful-women.html

But I'm confused -- that promo states that Agent Carter is a '7-part television event'.  I thought it was supposed to be 13 episodes -- are they doing double episodes nearly every Tuesday ?

First Reviews For MARVEL's AGENT CARTER Surface
"The first couple of episodes of Marvels's Agent Carter has been screened by critics and reviews have begun to pop up across the internet. It looks like Marvel has another success on their hands as many found the show more to their liking than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."
By seyrie - 1/2/2015
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/agent_carter/news/?a=113057

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Could anyone, such as myself, who hasn't really seen the movies nor seen Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.S see this show and not be lost?  You know lots of mentions of events in other shows, references, characters, etc?

If not, that could limit the potential of the show to get more viewers.  I do like that it's 8 episodes, so there won't be any stretching of a plot too much.

• Love 1

Could anyone, such as myself, who hasn't really seen the movies nor seen Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.S see this show and not be lost?  You know lots of mentions of events in other shows, references, characters, etc?

If not, that could limit the potential of the show to get more viewers.  I do like that it's 8 episodes, so there won't be any stretching of a plot too much.

I'm sure there'll be a bunch of easter eggs, but there's not too much backstory to the universe at this point in the game. Basically, she was an agent in an Allied organization and dated Captain America before he presumably died. And...that's about it. This takes before everything except for the first Cap movie.

Review: 'Marvel's Agent Carter' swings into the big band era
HAYLEY ATWELL A TREAT IN TV SPIN-OFF OF 'CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER'
By Alan Sepinwall  @Sepinwall | MONDAY, JAN 5, 2015 9:00 AM
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-marvels-agent-carter-swings-into-the-big-band-era/

TV Review: ‘Marvel’s Agent Carter’
JANUARY 4, 2015 | 08:10AM PT
Brian Lowry  TV Columnist  @blowryontv
http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/tv-review-marvels-agent-carter-1201389031/

I would think that there's only one primer needed to really understand Agent Carter-- Captain America, seeing as it picks up right after that film ends  (in addition to establishing that Carter and Howard Stark know each other and respect each other).  Other than that, it should be a stand alone simply because everything else takes place in the present, while this is the past. 

Agents of the SHIELD did have a few scenes that had Agent Carter and her team securing sensitive items, but if this miniseries is meant to be before the Agent Carter oneshot (where Stark orders Carter to be co-director of SSR/SHIELD), then all of the Agents of SHIELD stuff would be post-oneshot because she wasn't "allowed" on field missions due to being a woman, and the AOS scenes were her leading a field team. 

It looked like the AoS scenes were set during the war.  But regardless, the show is hoping to draw a broad audience, not just Marvel fans.  They won't make it hard for new viewers to get into the swing of things.

• Love 1

It looked like the AoS scenes were set during the war.  But regardless, the show is hoping to draw a broad audience, not just Marvel fans.  They won't make it hard for new viewers to get into the swing of things.

My take is that Hydra was still active after Hitler fell. By the end of the war, they had managed to grow into their own organization, and I doubt that they just packed their bags and called it a day when they received the news of his death. Bringing down Whitehall was probably one of Peggy's first tasks under the SHIELD banner, so I think it's plausible that there's a gap between the official end of the war and the formation of SHIELD for Peggy to be toiling away in the SSR office while Whitehall was bunkered up performing his *ahem* inhuman experiments.

Positive review from The A.V. Club as well.  Glad that it seems like a decent amount of critics are enjoying it.  Also really glad that, while there seems to be a lot to like, Hayley Atwell is getting the most praise.  Really hope this works out well for her.

I'm also slightly more optimistic about  "The Chad"'s presence, because, from what I can tell, his character is suppose to be kind of a jerk, so I'm down with rooting against him!

Edited by thuganomics85

I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD midway through the last season (I think my last episode was the one where the female friend of Thor popped up), but I've seen almost all of the movies (I still have Winter Soldier on my to be watched pile of dvds). This one-shot ep you talk about--is that an AoS episode? If so, I'll see if it's available On Demand or on Amazon Prime.

Edited by Sharpie66

I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD midway through the last season (I think my last episode was the one where the female friend of Thor popped up), but I've seen almost all of the movies (I still have Winter Soldier on my to be watched pile of dvds). This one-shot ep you talk about--is that an AoS episode? If so, I'll see if it's available On Demand or on Amazon Prime.

The one-shot was a short that was included on one of the Iron Man DVDs (either 2 or 3, can't remember which). She has had a couple of appearances in flashbacks on AoS, but nothing that would have any bearing on this show.

I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD midway through the last season (I think my last episode was the one where the female friend of Thor popped up), but I've seen almost all of the movies (I still have Winter Soldier on my to be watched pile of dvds). This one-shot ep you talk about--is that an AoS episode? If so, I'll see if it's available On Demand or on Amazon Prime.

Sorry for off topic, but you've actually given up just an episode or two before it started getting good. It's quite fun now, so you could check it out sometime. I've given up in the middle on s1 myself, heard the praise for the later episodes and caught up on the show. Worth it.

Also, we don't have a ratings topic, so  I'll post them here: 1.9 18-49, which is honestly pretty bad for a premiere.

• Love 1

Damn, that was less then what Galavant pulled on Sunday.  I guess this show needed more singing.

Well, at least ABC will see the eight episodes through, right?  And I am curious to see how the DVR and On Demand viewings fare.  The overall response sounded positive, so maybe it will attract a few latecomers.

Actually, it will be fine if it continues with these ratings (Agents of SHIELD episodes earn about 1 .7 nowadays). It's just that 90% of shows fall quite a bit after the premiere, which makes 1.9 problematic. 

I expect it'll time shift in the same way that AoS does, meaning almost half of the audience will watch it later. I know they have it on Tuesdays to act as a bridge for AoS, but it'd probably fit in better on Sundays. But Galavant got a strong start there (and I'm glad, as I really enjoyed it), so there's not room on the schedule while OUaT is on hiatus.

And they still haven't announced a lead-in for next week, have they? They don't have a strong anchor to counter-program against NCIS, and most of those viewers are just going to stick around for NCIS:NO instead of change the channel.

I don't think Agent Carter is going to completely tank, and if they stay above 1.5 in the overnights with strong L7s like AoS, I think there's a bit of hope for another season. Depending on the cost of the show, they may decide that's a solid enough performance for a mid-winter show to bring it back next year. And if the rest of the season keeps up the quality, that could give them a whole year to build up more buzz and try to get people to binge it.

Or, if the Netflix shows do well, they may decide to move it over there for another season.

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 1

One other thing about the ratings -- Agent Carter was still the highest rated show of the evening that doesn't start with the letters NCIS. Honestly, that's about as good as anything can hope to do on a Tuesday. If it can manage to keep that up, I count that as a bit of a success.

I think I read that the demos are expected to go up to around 2.7 after DVR ratings are counted. It seems to be getting a very positive response from the people that watched it so I hope it's ratings will hold up well next week. 

I do wonder though what Marvel's long term plans for the show are. Is it meant to be a limited release series - like a miniseries to fill this hiatus - or do they want to expand this into a full 22 episodes next season? I can't imagine them renewing it for too many years as these mini-seasons, if only because it's going to take forever to get to syndication that way.