Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Great Gatsby 2001: A Space Odyssey

• Start Topic

The writers room for this show must be drenched in fumes a 100 times more powerful than whatever wafted over Woodstock for four days.

I thought they could not top the shirtless pants down hobbling heroics in the desert but then this batshit crazy show managed to cast Shohreh Aghdashloo as unhinged Mother Mary. I nearly jumped out of my chair when I heard her voice. And they made damn sure we would hear her voice before seeing her for exactly that reason.

Do I have the slightest idea what's going on anymore? Nope - but I love all the crazy. Also: no mother-glitch this episode despite it delivering a motherload of mother figures *gonna show myself out in a moment* Mary, Celeste, Mathilde, the whale and Mrs Davis. 

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

The writers room for this show must be drenched in fumes a 100 times more powerful than whatever wafted over Woodstock for four days.

This was the first episode that I watched more or less all the way through without having to stop to rest. I enjoyed it but it didn't give me quite as much of a thrill as last week's caper. I had thought I was looking forward to Simone and Wiley working with Celeste and Shrodinger but I liked Simone getting rid of him too.

9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I thought they could not top the shirtless pants down hobbling heroics in the desert

There was some stuffing going on there, right? I could swear in one shot there was less filling.

9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

then this batshit crazy show managed to cast Shohreh Aghdashloo as unhinged Mother Mary.

I mean once the writers had decided, that Mary had made the grail out of her son's skull, there was really only one casting choice. 😉

Also is Mary Mrs. Davis in some shape or form? They have the same goal and Mrs. Davis is called Madonna in Italy... That can't just be a coincidence, right?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Why Electric Avenue?

What's funny about this show is the things that sound fantastically absurd turn out to be true:  there is a giant whale with the grail inside; generations of "don't sip" are because it will make your head explode if you do; nuns are literally married to Jesus; etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know Celeste is brutally cold and hard. She has never before now shown any sentimentality or affection. But when Simone was about to dive to the whale, was Celeste faking emotion in order to try to get the info she really wanted about Monty, or lying about wanting the info about Monty in order to cover up her uncharacteristic display of emotion? (I know my answer but I want to know if it seemed different or ambiguous to others.) 

I think she was genuinely shaken by Schroedinger's words. He rattled her with his retort about killing one's daughter and then again with his words just before Simone got into the diving suit. And seeing Mathilde's anguish probably played a part too. Here was another mother who had refused to show love to her daughter now wrecked with sorrow and guilt. So yeah, I think she was on the brink of showing real emotion but then swerved into the Monty spiel because she was too afraid of really going there.

Hmmm, could it be that there's some subtle writing wafting through all the psychedelic fumes?

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ohh man, I was kind of hoping to see inside the mama whale. So disappointed! 😏

I have read a theory in Reddit about the holy grail being the top of a skull and immediately thinking this OP must be crazy or too imaginative. It turned out that person was right. Damn! 😆

So, what’s gonna happen to Wiley? 

19 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

But when Simone was about to dive to the whale, was Celeste faking emotion in order to try to get the info she really wanted about Monty, or lying about wanting the info about Monty in order to cover up her uncharacteristic display of emotion? 

The latter. There’s a split second when her concern & expression seemed genuine.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Love 1