Type keyword(s) to search

Platonic - General Discussion

• Start Topic

platonic-key-art.png
Platonic is an ten (half-hour) episode Comedy TV Series streaming the first three episodes on May 24, 2023 on Apple TV+. 

Friends don’t let friends have mid-life crises alone. 

platonicstills8-1080x720.jpg.webp

Will and Sylvia attempt to prove it’s totally possible for a man and a woman to be just friends. 

MV5BNjYwMmQ5ZDAtMGE3MS00ZGJkLTk1M2YtM2Nl

Platonic follows a platonic pair of former best friends who met in their youth, Will and Sylvia, approaching midlife, who reconnect as adults and try to mend the rift that led to their falling out. The duo’s friendship becomes all-consuming and destabilizes their lives in a hilarious way and causes them to reevaluate their choices.

Rose Byrne as Sylvia
MV5BZTQzMTgzYjUtY2FjNy00N2M0LTk5MDUtNjg2
Seth Rogen as Will
platonic-rose-byrne-seth-rogen.jpg
Tre Hale as Andy, Will’s friend and his business partner
Carla Gallo as Katie, Sylvia’s best friend
platonicstills4-1080x536.jpg.webp

Luke Macfarlane as Charlie, Sylvia’s husband
Guy Branum as Stewart, Charlie’s confidante and a partner at the law firm where he works
Andrew Lopez as Reggie, the main investor in Will’s brewery
Alisha Wainwright as Audrey, Will’s ex-wife
Janet Varney as Vanessa, one of Charlie’s colleagues
Emily Kimball as Peyton, one of Will’s romantic interests
Vinny Thomas as Omar, a young assistant brewer at Will’s brewery

Platonic     May 24, 2023    Apple TV+    

Episodes 1-3   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Pilot
1478x832.webp
After a long rift in their friendship, Sylvia reunites with her old best friend, the newly divorced Will.

S01.E02: Gandalf the Lizard
1478x832.webp
Will accompanies Sylvia to an open house. Sylvia helps Will sneak into his ex-wife’s home to get the rest of his stuff and make a clean emotional break.

S01.E03: Partner's Retreat
1478x832.webp

While Sylvia’s husband attends a conference, she spends the day getting drunk with Will— who informs her about a development with his bar.

22 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Well I was going to watch this, but disappointed to see it was not a full season drop. What is this, 2009? Maybe later once it's all out.

Come back after July 12, 2023.

Good reviews, there are about a dozen top critic reviews on RT.

Seems to be the best-reviewed Apple TV + show in a couple of months.  Drops of God is 100% top critics but only like a handful of reviews.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Byrne and Roger have very good chemistry. They clearly enjoyed working together in the Neighbors movies.

I am a little confused about Byrne’s accent on the show. She is definitely not hiding her Australian accent even though it is watered down.  Given that their characters were friends from way back when, I don’t see when the character could have picked up an Australian accent. Just curious.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Dminches said:

I am a little confused about Byrne’s accent on the show. She is definitely not hiding her Australian accent even though it is watered down.  Given that their characters were friends from way back when, I don’t see when the character could have picked up an Australian accent. Just curious.

Aren't they friends from college?

(edited)

This show truly relies heavily on the dynamic and chemistry between its 2 leads. Story wise, there’s nothing new & exciting about it. I hope this show stays true to its title and isn’t gonna be like When Harry Met Sally.🤞🏻

I like Rose Byrne but am (barely) tolerating Seth Rogen. Episode 1 and 2 are quite enjoyable. Episode 3 not so much.

Am glad they don’t make Charlie a jerk (for now). Please let him stays this way.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

This show truly relies heavily on the dynamic and chemistry between its 2 leads. Story wise, there’s nothing new & exciting about it. I hope this show stays true to its title and isn’t gonna be like When Harry Met Sally.🤞🏻

I like Rose Byrne but am (barely) tolerating Seth Rogen. Episode 1 and 2 are quite enjoyable. Episode 3 not so much.

Am glad they don’t make Charlie a jerk (for now). Please let him stays this way.

Agreed.  Episode 3 was awful. Too many extended Rogen monologues about nothing and Byrne’s character doing stupid things that no normal person would do.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes. It is trash,  it knows it is trash, and Luke McFarlane is such a bad actor in comparison to Rogen and Byrne, that every time he is in the frame it's cringe.  

• Like 2

I’m enjoying the dynamic between Sylvia and Will, but am not as Wowed by this as the critics’ reviews I’ve seen suggest I should be.

On 5/24/2023 at 7:45 PM, Dminches said:

In the third episode, when Sylvia and Charlie arrive, someone (I forget his name) comments that she’s from Australia, and later in the episode, when Sylvia and Will are at the diner, she says, “It’s your country; you explain it,” when Will asks why there’s a photo of Rosa Parks next to one of kids eating ice cream.  Maybe Wil spent part of his childhood in Australia? 

Does anyone know the song (no lyrics) that was playing during the closing credits of ep. 2? It also played when Will and Sylvia were leaving Audrey’s. I’ve searched using Google and visited the first several hits with no luck.

• Like 3

So she went to college in the US even though she's Australian?

The Big Door Prize had Chris O'Dowd living in TX as an Irish expat who married American and also went to school in the US.

Maybe these actors got tired of doing an American accent.

Or maybe Apple wants more accents, since they air a lot of shows made in other countries with foreign casts like Bad Sisters and Trying, Pachinko, etc.

• Like 3

S01.E04: Divorce Party
1478x832.webp
Sylvia throws a divorce party for Will to cheer him up, but it gets out of hand when his rowdy friends try to take control of the night.

Premiere Date: May 31, 2023      Apple TV+    

• Like 1

I'm finding this pretty funny and enjoyable.  Sylvia refusing to go back to work and just getting to goof around all day with her bestie is annoying, but probably just part of her arc.  Will has anger issues.  Also irritating that such an unattractive guy can get much, much younger, good looking ladies to marry and date him.  "I thought that was my Uncle" was pretty hilarious so I'm glad they called it out.

I had a best guy friend in college.  Our adult friendship basically cooled too when he married an awful woman.  If I suddenly resurrected that friendship, ran around with my bestie all day while my husband worked, and then crawled into bed at almost 4 in the morning after being out all night with him, let's just say I hardly think my husband would be as supportive and understanding as Charlie is so far appearing to be.  And that goes both ways, no way in hell would I tolerate it if the roles were reversed.  Really weird and kind of pathetic on both of their parts.    

• Like 5

S01.E05: My Wife’s Boyfriend
1478x832.webp
Unnerved by the closeness of Will’s relationship with Sylvia, Charlie invites Will to join him and his coworkers at a baseball game.

Premiere Date: June 7, 2023      Apple TV+    

• Like 1
(edited)

Liking it so far, and from the next episode description, it’s about time that Charlie stops acting like a supportive husband because nobody would be supportive of how the two of them have been so far.

I got a kick the first episode about Sylvia and her friend whining and tired at 10pm when they were in that crowded bar. That is exactly how every single 40 year old mom I know acts. Give me some wine and a booth or chair any day over that standing and socializing nonsense.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1

S01.E06: The Big Two Six
738x416.webp
Will introduces Sylvia to his much younger girlfriend, Peyton—then gets upset when Sylvia hires her as a babysitter.

Premiere Date: June 14, 2023      Apple TV+    

• Like 1

When is this supposed to be taking place? Angela Merkel hasn't been German Chancellor for two years now. And the magazine Sylvia picked up said something about Merkel being the new Chancellor. That would have been back in 2005.

Hopefully Will is over his midlife crisis now and can dye his hair back to a normal color.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

When is this supposed to be taking place? Angela Merkel hasn't been German Chancellor for two years now. And the magazine Sylvia picked up said something about Merkel being the new Chancellor. That would have been back in 2005.

It's probably just an old magazine. I've never been in the waiting room of a law office, but there are always old issues in doctor's offices. Maybe not that old but eh.

17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's probably just an old magazine. I've never been in the waiting room of a law office, but there are always old issues in doctor's offices. Maybe not that old but eh.

Maybe but she was twice referred to as German Chancellor - not former German Chancellor. I have a sneaking suspicion whoever wrote this is unaware she's no longer Chancellor.

• Like 2

S01.E07: Let the River Run
738x416.webp
Sylvia struggles to keep up with the brutal pace at her new law firm. Will learns about Reggie and Andy’s new plans.

Premiere Date: June 21, 2023      Apple TV+    

Oof, that was painful. Just leave the painting where it fell and deny noticing anything!  

And I know that ladies of a certain age might use clear nail polish to fix a number of problems, but red?

• Like 2

Yeah, this one was cringe. I get that Sylvia is kind of an awkward nerd but blurting out that the guy in the breakroom probably masturbates in the bathroom was just stupid. And the whole thing was the painting was just unnecessarily absurd, she could have either just left it there or gone straight to her boss and admitted she accidentally bumped into it. I mean if it caused a tear like that it must not have been hung very well, what was it hanging from, a sharp nail?

The HR rep really did not make it clear she was fired.

• Like 5

S01.E08: San Diego
738x416.webp
Will and the guys take Sylvia on a business trip to San Diego. Charlie grows more suspicious about Sylvia and Will’s relationship.

Premiere Date: June 28, 2023      Apple TV+    

I have no idea what this is all leading up to. Is Charlie going to leave Sylvia because he thinks she's having an affair with Will? Sylvia is such a flake. Not telling her husband she got fired for four days was just silly. I get that her kid made it awkward right when she got home but later when the kids were in bed is when she should have told him.

• Like 2

I keep waiting for this show to be something that it's not (a story about two friends who are very close - you can even put a bit of tension - but aren't always making you guess that has something more to it. also, a show about two functioning adults. I can relate more to Girls than them lol). 

38 minutes ago, Harvey said:

So what would you guys say, is this worth watching? Looking at the comments on here, it doesn't seem like the reception is too positive.

Good question. I’ll give it a try. Speaking for myself, I’m mostly still watching to maximize what I’m getting from my Atv+ free trial. I wouldn’t subscribe to something new just to watch it, or push something else down in the list in favor of it, but it’s fine, if you’re looking for something light to fill some down time. Has some funny bits and some cringy bits. And it’s not like you have to invest a lot of time into it - there are only a few episodes and you can always bail if it’s not doing it for you. 

So I guess I’d give it a solid “sure, why not”. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

So what would you guys say, is this worth watching? Looking at the comments on here, it doesn't seem like the reception is too positive.

I like it a lot. It’s ridiculous, and the characters can be exhausting, but there are things that have made me laugh out loud. I just embrace the zaniness.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

hmmm. I think so. I liked the premisse and a couple of episodes. But the last ones were a bit rough for me because I was expecting something else, I guess (but that's my fault. I think I'm missing a sort of content that it's just not being made or is being cancelled after one season).

• Like 1

S01.E09: Slumber Party
738x416.webp
Frustrated by how much time Sylvia is spending with Will, Charlie crosses a line. Will confronts Reggie and Andy.

Premiere Date: July 4, 2023      Apple TV+    

This show started off promising but they are making the leads so dislikable and difficult to root for. Other Apple+ show have characters that make me want to root for and keep watching (which is why I enjoyed Ted Lasso and Shrinking so much). But Will and Sylvia? No thanks.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, twoods said:

This show started off promising but they are making the leads so dislikable and difficult to root for. Other Apple+ show have characters that make me want to root for and keep watching (which is why I enjoyed Ted Lasso and Shrinking so much). But Will and Sylvia? No thanks.

Agreed, nothing to go out of your way to pay for AAPL+ or to waste a free trial on. 

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

I'm liking the female character less and less especially last weeks epi with the handling of the painting.

Charlie her husband is a saint, she's nuts for not appreciating what she has.

• Like 3

After my first watch - Ugh! I hate Will, he is such a manchild in teenager’s clothing.

After 9th episode - Ugh! I hate Sylvia. What an ungrateful, condescending b!tch‼️ I like Will more than her now. And he looks OK with that platinum hair.

Even Andy has turned into a jerk. Why show? 😔

• Like 4

I'm only up to episode 3 or 4.

So far I like it more than Shrinking.

Yeah the Seth Rogen character is loud and abrasive at times.

And it's hard to believe Sylvia has that much of a leash, with a busy husband and 3 kids, including a couple of young ones who would demand a lot of her attention.

So how is she going out and coming home at 4 AM?  She was drugged but even organizing that party, you'd think the husband would have put his foot down.

I liked when she ate the speech.  So she's a little zany too, especially since as a successful lawyer's wife, she has to be placating his co workers and boss.

I don't recall Rose Byrne in many things, never saw her doing a comic role.  Hell I remember Damages.  She's not hiding her Australian accent all the time.  I didn't watch Physical, so looks like she's scooping up that Apple money.

• Like 2
On 7/4/2023 at 2:07 PM, Harvey said:

I'm reserving judgment until the season finale. It's OK, I like the cast, but I'm not sure what the show is trying to say about its characters or where this is going. I also don't have a lot of hope there will be another season of this. It's not exactly lighting the world on fire the way Ted Lasso did, or even Shrinking.

6 hours ago, aghst said:

I don't recall Rose Byrne in many things, never saw her doing a comic role.  Hell I remember Damages.  She's not hiding her Australian accent all the time.

There was a throwaway line in one of the early episodes about her being from Australia, so she's not trying to hide it.

• Like 1

Just watched episode 6, the birthday party.

Laughed a lot, including when Will and that old roommate guy were taunting each other about how old each other were.

But Rogen acted the hell out of that scene where he sees Peyton dance and his face registered "what the fuck am I doing" perfectly.

Never thought of him as much of an actor, just thought he played the similar personal in all his roles, the loud, stoner, contrarian type, like one of the early episodes where he doesn't want to sell his beer to the chain restaurant and him going around knocking over all those e scooters, even though he uses them all the time.

But that was a great expression of a guy having an epiphany, just all in his facial expression.

Rest of the episode he's great.

Will  though has anger, maybe about his ex-wife.  He needs Sylvia's friendship at this point in his life.

The earlier episode, with them doing the secret skills at the bar was fun too.

I would say Rogen and Byrne are bringing it, not just pursuing a payday with this show.

• Like 4

At this point, I'm hoping that Charlie tells Sylvia he's leaving her, taking the kids and she can figure out how to get a damned job, go to work and be productive like the rest of society.  What an absolute spoiled brat.  Kick her to the curb now, Charlie.  

• Like 3
(edited)

Caught up.

Yeah Will and Sylvia are strong personalities, often abrasive.

Then they screw up and won't be contrite, at least nothing like Charlie.

Many of the things they do and say aren't good but I don't know if I'd say they were despicable.

I didn't see Neighbors so I don't know if they're trying to emulate how the characters on that movie behaved.

The thing with them knocking over e-scooters, is it that they're angry -- Will all the time and Sylvia that one time -- or they're just sticking it to The Man?  Or maybe the writers are annoyed with e-scooters and it's a running joke to repeatedly destroy them on screen?

Just among Apple TV + shows, I enjoy Ted Lasso, Trying but it's nice to have an alternative, where people aren't so nice.  Well Bad Sisters weren't nice and neither was the guy that got killed.  And the guy in Trying repeatedly refers to his father or older relatives being racist.

Shrinking characters are annoying too, not as clever and winning personalities as they think.

Haven't watched Loot but it's about rich people so probably good chance of unlikable characters.

In that context, Will and Sylvia aren't the worst.

Edited by aghst
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

The thing with them knocking over e-scooters, is it that they're angry -- Will all the time and Sylvia that one time -- or they're just sticking it to The Man?  Or maybe the writers are annoyed with e-scooters and it's a running joke to repeatedly destroy them on screen?

The Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast featured this show a day or two ago.  They were overall very positive.  It seemed that at least one of the panelists had seen all the episodes.  Regarding the scooters, they said

Spoiler

that running joke had a good payoff in the end.

Also regarding the end, they said

Spoiler

things wrapped up well and it didn't seem to be setting up for a second season.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:57 PM, aghst said:

Haven't watched Loot but it's about rich people so probably good chance of unlikable characters.

Only the lead character is rich. The characters on Loot are actually quite likable.

I enjoy this show. It's really zany and fun. I have a good time watching it. I don't always need what I watch to be realistic or relatable. Right now, I'm mostly just really into fun, lighthearted comedies that are easy to watch and this fits the bill perfectly.

I liked the finale. It definitely seems like this won’t have a second season. It came to a nice little conclusion. These are two people who know each other really well, care about each other a lot, but also just bring out the absolute worst in each other if they spend too much time together. I was happy they found a good balance where they can float in and out of each other’s lives in a seemingly healthy way, while still having a friendship bond that they don’t have with anyone else.

I thought the way they filmed the UFO scene was hilarious with both of them looking up, then trying to act calm for half a second before freaking out. A triple homicide got overshadowed by a UFO sighting. Now that’s some housewarming party!

I thought this show had some really great comedic moments. This was probably the most I’ve ever laughed at something with Seth Rogen in it.

• Like 4

Yeah it sure looks like they wrapped up the story.  Probably planned for one season all along, though Apple labels it Season Finale.

Maybe one season is the only commitment they could get from Rogen and Byrne.

But Sylvia has to take care of her family and now a business and Will has a regular job and a fiancé so they wouldn't be able to hang out.

Even this season, they hung out way too much for people of their age, one of them having family responsibilities.

On the one hand, great to get these leads, probably help attract some viewers.  OTOH, they have other projects they could do so they may not be willing to commit to more than one season.

But a lot of fun antics, there is some growth for Will but it was mostly light comic fun, nothing heavy.

• Like 2

Yes it seems like they wrapped things up in a nice, tidy bow. And I'm OK with that. Better than leaving us hanging then not giving us another season.

I enjoyed the show for what it was. I said this on the "The Other Two" forum but I'm tired of shows that bill themselves as "dramedies" or "dark comedies" that can't settle on a tone. So I'm grateful whenever I just get a nice, straightforward comedy like this one. Nothing too heavy or too deep.

Aside from his obnoxious laugh I generally like Seth Rogen, and this was the first thing I've ever seen Rose Byrne in and she was a good match for him. Good cast overall.

• Like 3

What is wrong with these people!!!!??? They're just so odd and do things that don't make sense. I get that it's TV but it's so bizarre.

They're not very likeable either.

I fell into the trap if having it on when I did housework and now I feel like I need to sit through the last two eps. 

Probably not helping that I'm watching the Americans at the same time and that makes way more sense than this show! Spies and all!