Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E17: Top 8 to Top 5…Maybe

• Start Topic

Different judges, so that’s a win. Going from 8 to 5….unless somebody has a sick parent or a good sob story and we can find a reason to not cut them. 

Also, only show this week. No show tomorrow. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Ed didn’t seem enthused about the cameo from the king and queen of his own country.

So if they’re cutting 3/7 today, does the season end tomorrow? Oh I forgot it’s /8 since they saved Ollie.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, dizzyd said:

Ed didn’t seem enthused about the cameo from the king and queen of his own country.

Understandable. I've been avoiding all the stuff about this that's been on TV this weekend, and now here it is popping up in a show I do watch...

This episode's gonna make me want to go listen to Jagged Little Pill afterward, I can already tell. 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

Is it just my tv or does Oliver sound terrible?

It’s not your tv. He’s been terrible for a while, but if you say your sick dad is coming, they save your captain coffee shop ass. 

24 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

So if they’re cutting 3/7 today, does the season end tomorrow? Oh I forgot it’s /8 since they saved Ollie.

No episode tomorrow. 

59 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Most of the predictions I've read have Oliver, Haven, and Warren going home.  I pretty much agree with this.

Hoping Warren gets one more week. He’s my favorite, but I don’t want him to win. Rather he just get signed somewhere based on what he is, not what the powers that be wanna make him. I’m hoping we drop Oliver, Haven and Zachariah. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

What's the shiny stuff in Warren's beard?

Probably beard balm or beard butter.  I say that as someone with a beard nearly as long as his who puts a lot of product in it lol

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Oliver says he’s gonna not be boring….

I don’t believe him. Not a bit. 

Was it boring? Kinda. But he saved himself by shaving his head. Yep. That’s where we’re at now. 

Haven, Zachariah, and Warren are my guesses. Haven,Zachariah, and captain coffee shop are my hopes. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Alright. Warren will likely have some sort of career. The other two will be a footnote on the AI Wikipedia page. Wanted Warren to make top 5 then get cut, but oh well. 

Maybe Oliver can open for Iam?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Is Zach this year’s Sanjaya?  What happened to ‘ kyra dim the lights’?

Megan knocked out both songs.  I would have traded Zach or Iam for Warren. Zach is  enjoyable but now it’s getting down to the ones who could win.  Still feel  that Iam the chosen one will win when it probably a should be megan , Wei or Colin .

• Like 5

Hearing a man sing "You Oughta Know" is just...weird. That's a song that just works better coming from a woman, I think. I liked the performances of the Alanis songs in general tonight, mind, just...yeah. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Honest I enjoy them better as a duo than separate 

I wouldn’t walk from my couch to my driveway to see either of them or the pair. 

The “Iam” chants that follow every performance that sounds just like the last tells us who’s going to win. Can he sing? Sure. Just as good as every other Hawaiian resort performer you see when you go on vacation. But, America likes the humble attitude, and truthfully, I think that a lot of people want to vote for somebody who doesn’t look like most celebrities look. Iam is….um…..robust? No one will ever convince me that it doesn’t help him get a lot of support. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

I wouldn’t walk from my couch to my driveway to see either of them or the pair. 

The “Iam” chants that follow every performance that sounds just like the last tells us who’s going to win. Can he sing? Sure. Just as good as every other Hawaiian resort performer you see when you go on vacation. But, America likes the humble attitude, and truthfully, I think that a lot of people want to vote for somebody who doesn’t look like most celebrities look. Iam is….um…..robust? No one will ever convince me that it doesn’t help him get a lot of support. 

Agree. He seems like nice guy , decent singer.  I’ve felt from his second appearance him being pushed so hard that he would win.  I’d be shocked if he didn’t. 

im fascinated by Colin’s shiny , gorgeous hair more than his singing. 

• Like 1

I thought all the duets were really good.  I especially thought Zachariah sounded really good in the duet and I am not usually a fan at all.  I think he can actually sing if he times down his whole act.

I’m a big Haven fan.  Not the best singer but I think she is the most marketable in the group.  I don’t see Iam filling a stadium. He’ll be like a lot of the recent winners doing state fairs and such.  I think Colin or Megan could have decent country careers but I’m not sure either would be the next Carrie Underwood.  I feel like We might do well but It could go either way.  Depends if she could get good songs. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Most of the predictions I've read have Oliver, Haven, and Warren going home.  I pretty much agree with this.

Good guess - you were correct.  Though it's not that much of a surprise especially since Oliver, Warren and Colin are basically in the same male country "box", so that split votes a bit (and Oliver started at a much lower vote total from last week).  

For the final five, we really don't have any "boxes" left.  You can make the case for Megan and Colin being in the "country" box, but as we saw last year with Noah and Hunter there's room for both.  My hunch is Megan, Colin and Iam seem pretty safe to make the top 3 and I would be fine with that.  My personal choice of the five is Megan, who I have been more and more impressed with each week - she's much better than I originally thought.  My only concern is if she's too Christian for some voters, but I don't think that should limit her fan base too much (if anything it might add to it).

I believe the top 3 usually get a hometown visit, which would be a long plane ride for Iam.  Also, I noticed both Colin and Zach are listed with a hometown of Amory, Mississippi - if they both make the top 3 then I guess they would get a combo hometown visit?  I don't think that's ever happened before.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I just don’t see what kind of career Zachariah can have. Decent voice but no songwriting or instruments. And no definite style. He was always going to outlast someone better. Warren has a shot at radio play and and Haven can tap into the younger Swiftie market. Wé is born to sing a 007 theme. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
17 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

I’m a big Haven fan.  Not the best singer but I think she is the most marketable in the group. 

I think her song choices have been on point for her the last couple weeks. Also, tonight it hit me who she reminds me of a bit, in terms of looks, at least - Carmen, from waaaaaaaay back in season 2. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2

Wow, the results were shocking (in a good way)! Hopefully that continues next week. My picks to go would've been Warren, Colin, and Oliver, and at least two of them went. I'd rather Oliver had survived if one of them was going to. Still, I was shocked because I thought Warren would sail through since he got an early slot and Iam / We got slots in the middle of the show where contestants are more likely to suffer. It would be wonderful if we actually managed to get a top 3 of We, Iam, and Megan--I'd be happy with any of them as the winner (I imagine Megan would have the advantage being the country contestant though).

I don't mind Zachariah still being around. He's grown on me a little. He seems like a nice guy and he did alright tonight. I'd like to think he's not a threat as far as winning goes, but who knows with this show's history. Hopefully Colin divides with Zachariah and Megan next week and doesn't make the finale, that would be a relief.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was super convinced that Oliver & Haven would be leaving last night. Check. That being said, it would not shock me if 3 years from now Haven has had the most mainstream (or mainstream, non-country) success of anybody from this season. She could be someone like a Lauren Lee Spencer, but even more successful because she lasted longer on AI. Her "magic" has largely been focused on her originals which I think will help her out post-AI tremendously.

I thought the other eliminated person would come from either Megan, Warren, or Zachariah. I wouldn't of picked Warren first out of that group of three though. I think the show sabotage of having him go first along side his own self-sabotage (the only person other Iam to sing a less familiar, less radio hit Alanis song) was a double whammy he couldn't overcome.

I am unclear as to who is voting for Zachariah. He has to be one of the stranger Top 5 finishers, especially since ABC took over..

Warren sang circles around We (not that anything was said about it) in their Ed Sheeran Duet. Not that that made irrationally happy or anything lol.

I still think we are tracking towards a Colin/Iam final 2. Country's recent track record would make me lean in Colin's direction but hearing the buzz in the room every time Iam sings now makes me want to lean in his direction instead..

I actually thought that was one of Megan's weaker performances of the last few weeks, so the fact that she got voted in on that performance has me rethinking the strength of her voting bloc. Her voice is always riding that line of pleasant to listen to/strident, & unpleasant to listen to and I think on that particular Alanis song it crossed over that line in a number of spots..

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Geez could TPTB have made it any more obvious that they were hosing Warren? Basically slotted him first on both songs in the early part of the show and never really even put him in the second half this entire run.

I like Zachariah but he was really weak last night and has finally outlasted better singers/performers. 

We took two songs and executed them flawlessly. That said, all authenticity and emotion were removed. The duet with Warren could have been great if she’d attempted to interact with him. He was turned toward her for most of it, she was performing like a soloist or looking past him. That was a solo she had to share. And Uninvited is a gorgeous song but I felt she performed it like a barely restrained power ballad. I wish it was possible to connect to her performances because she’s got the goods but she’s in full competition mode.

Megan’s solo was forgettable but her duet with Colin was fire. Colin did a great solo as well. I was not surprised to see them advance. Megan is miles ahead of him but it’s possible they turn out to be this year’s Hunter Girl and Noah Thompson. America loves an Aw-Shucks Country Boy.

Iam’s solo was fine, but I didn’t know the song and didn’t care to by the end of it. However, the duet with Oliver was perfect. Oliver was very kind to give Iam that kind of recognition and thanks. He’s a genuine guy and that’s a real friendship, which is so nice to see. I don’t know how Iam can lose after that endorsement.

Oliver was on the right track with his intention, but that Alanis song isn’t meant to be sung by a man. It just gives off the wrong vibe. Good for him for going all out though, knowing it would likely be his last week. Best to leave with zero regrets. The Photograph duet was my favorite of the night. It was as good as Broken Halos. It just came a couple of weeks too late for Oliver. So happy he got to have his dad there.

At this point I actually think performances are moot. People are just locking in votes based on what they’ve seen so far. You have to slay Hollywood, Hawaii, and the first big stage show. That’s it - the numbers won’t vary after those.

Haven has been boring and off for weeks now. She needs a few more years and then she can be a marketable artist. 

Alanis is the kind of artist whose songs aren’t easy to cover. They’re endemic to her as a person and I felt they wore the contestants like heavy suits. No one really did a memorable job with any of them.

Loved hearing her sing Thank U. Her voice is still spectacular.

Ed Sheeran, on the other hand - those tunes he writes are just universal ear worms. Photograph and Perfect and Thinking Out Loud are some of the nicest ballads of the last decade. They really held up under different arrangements and with a range of voices. Love his new album. 

Didn’t miss Katy and Lionel at all. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Prediction:  Final 2 with Iam and Colin (who now has the Country lane to himself).  I think Megan, who is a Christian singer, not Country will make the finale.  She has more of an underdog arc and fits the Idol demographic more than We.  

• Like 7

That was a good show! 

Idol is on a roll this season: beating the other singing shows in the ratings every week, getting the newly-crowned king and queen of England to show up, getting one of the very top recording artists of the last decade as a (one time) judge, having 2 judges performing at Windsor Castle.

And all the singers did a great job, both in their duets and solos. Oliver made some poor decisions, and I was fine with him leaving. Surprised Zach made it to the final 5, but he'll be gone next week. 

Really not sure who will win; personally, I'm bored with Iam and his performances last night were not great.

• Like 7
16 hours ago, UrbanShocker said:

I believe the top 3 usually get a hometown visit, which would be a long plane ride for Iam.  Also, I noticed both Colin and Zach are listed with a hometown of Amory, Mississippi - if they both make the top 3 then I guess they would get a combo hometown visit?  I don't think that's ever happened before.

I saw that it's listed like that on the AI site, but I read on Yahoo that Colin is from Gattman.  Both Amory and Gattman are in Monroe County, so they're apparently near one another.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I saw that it's listed like that on the AI site, but I read on Yahoo that Colin is from Gattman.  Both Amory and Gattman are in Monroe County, so they're apparently near one another.

According to Wikipedia, Gattman is a town of only 77 people (and half of them are probably related to Colin).  Amory is the basically the big city suburb of Gattman (6,600 people) so I'm guessing they share a radio and TV station.  In any event, I don't think Zach will get through this week but you never know.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Alanis was not only a great mentor but also a great judge!  I loved her spirit and energy.  I had never seen much of her before and was nicely surprised for some reason.  

Ed not so much!  He looked like a bump on a log but did enjoy the duets when they played his music.  I thought he appeared almost rude when he was shown doing a slow clap elbows still on the table after Alanis sang.  He could have looked a bit more  into it and not so bored. 

Luke was beaming the whole show too.  

Colin seems to have really come into his element and his comfort level on stage has improved so much.  I enjoyed his performances especially with Megan.  

It will be a damn shame if Iam wins but appears to be the fan fave.  Cruise ship material.  It is not good for anyone to be so “robust“ health/mobility-wise.  Not a dig just a medical fact.

Megan has a great quality to her voice and emotionally connects to her songs.

When Zachariah calms down his performance he does a good job.  

Can’t remember the other one!!  Lol

• Like 3
(edited)

It is nice to see contestants grow in confidence but I think Zachariah has gone over the edge lol  I mean, he was always a little corny and extra but I find myself getting kind of annoyed by his strutting and pointing and, dare I say, cockiness?  Maybe it's just me.

I thought the styling this week was pretty awful.  Again I'm picking on Zachariah specifically but Haven and We looked a little kooky too.

Alanis was a great judge, such a sweetheart (and she looked fab!)

Edited by ruffy666
  • Like 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

It is nice to see contestants grow in confidence but I think Zachariah has gone over the edge lol  I mean, he was always a little corny and extra but I find myself getting kind of annoyed by his strutting and pointing and, dare I say, cockiness?  Maybe it's just me.

I thought the styling this week was pretty awful.  Again I'm picking on Zachariah specifically but Haven and We looked a little kooky too.

Alanis was a great judge, such a sweetheart (and she looked fab!)

Alanis really does seem like a genuinely nice person and she put a lot of effort into mentoring. Her performance was a bit odd, the way she leans away from the microphone is very mannered-looking and she is definitely not gifted in the dance/movement category, lol. 

The duets were great, I've noticed that some of the best performances of the seasons come from those duet rounds late in the season (Grace/Willie, Chase/Casey duets were my favorites of that season). Megan and Colin and Haven and Zachariah were especially good.

I'm a little sorry to see Haven and Warren go, but Oliver made me uncomfortable and then I'd feel bad for being uncomfortable. He seems like he's probably a nice enough guy, but so, so awkward. And somehow unhealthy looking, like his skin was gray or something. 

I'm guessing the final 3 will be Colin, Iam, and Megan and I'm okay with any of them winning.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Like 2

I only liked the first two duets--particular Iam's with Oliver--but I agree that duets on this show often bring out something that maybe isn't there normally. The duet Chayce had with Casey was the only good performance he had, imo, other than maybe Disney night.

And even going further back, I still remember how shocking the "Falling Away" duet between Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze was back when considering how boring / terrible the show was 95% of the time that season. I think it happens when you have one strong contestant who knows how to harmonize well working with another who's maybe so-so most of the time, the ability of the former helps the latter shine in a way they wouldn't normally and the latter contestant tries harder than they usually do because they're paired with someone that's a little out of their league vocally.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I only liked the first two duets--particular Iam's with Oliver--but I agree that duets on this show often bring out something that maybe isn't there normally. The duet Chayce had with Casey was the only good performance he had, imo, other than maybe Disney night.

And even going further back, I still remember how shocking the "Falling Away" duet between Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze was back when considering how boring / terrible the show was 95% of the time that season. I think it happens when you have one strong contestant who knows how to harmonize well working with another who's maybe so-so most of the time, the ability of the former helps the latter shine in a way they wouldn't normally and the latter contestant tries harder than they usually do because they're paired with someone that's a little out of their league vocally.

Agreed. I actually still have their "Falling Slowly" duet on my iTunes! I think Crystal should have won that season. Do they still release the songs (aside from the YouTube videos) anywhere? I suppose I could just look...but there aren't really any I'd want to buy.

• Like 2

I don't think so, other than the winner's songs at the end. It's a shame, I personally would buy a compilation for some of the live performances even if they didn't want to go to the bother of making studio versions anymore.

• Like 1

Tap, tap, tap, tap....Top 3 thread?

On 5/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Agreed. I actually still have their "Falling Slowly" duet on my iTunes! I think Crystal should have won that season. Do they still release the songs (aside from the YouTube videos) anywhere? I suppose I could just look...but there aren't really any I'd want to buy.

The rabbit hole of "[X] should have won" is a very deep one, mon ami!

• Like 2