Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Holston's Pick

oompa
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Air Date: May 5, 2023

Juliette, an engineer, pieces together what might have led to a co-worker's mysterious death.

Edited by oompa
(edited)

This is getting quite interesting. I think though it is a perfect show for bingewatching... 
Anyway, I haven't read the book(s?), so I can also speculate.. like do people really die out there?
When the Sheriff was out and everything was looking green I could not see any of the other bodies. Do Silo's gestapo collects them?
And what Juliette was thinking going down towards the water all alone using a single rope? How one earth she expected to come back from this? She is a mechanic, she should have thought of another way... that was just suicidal 

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, marinw said:

I think the poison is in the suits. (Not a spoiler, this is pure speculation as it’s been awhile since I read the book)

I've been wondering if something poisons them while cleaning.  Something not in the field of vision of those watching.  But your idea makes much more sense.

I was having a wee bit of Hunger Games District 13 flashbacks during the Freedom Day speech.  But I like dystopia and from the first two episodes, I'm intrigued enough to continue watching and see where this is going. 

I'm a Tim Robbins fan so not sure how I like him in a darker role than his Shawshank character (that being one of my all time favorite films).

• Like 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, go4luca said:

I was having a wee bit of Hunger Games District 13 flashbacks during the Freedom Day speech.

Yes! Also Logan's Run and the classic THX 1138. (A great film worth checking out if you can find it).

David Oyelowo is acting the sh*t out of the scene where his wife goes outside.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)

There have been mentions of climbing up and down stairs  to reach the various levels of the Silo. Are there any elevators, if only for high-ranking  people? 🤔

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, go4luca said:

I'm a Tim Robbins fan so not sure how I like him in a darker role than his Shawshank character (that being one of my all time favorite films).

Ha!  I was just thinking that the hole in the wall with a picture in front was a total steal/homage to Shawshank. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, marinw said:

I think the poison is in the suits. (Not a spoiler, this is pure speculation as it’s been awhile since I read the book)

I was thinking the same thing but then wondered why the sheriff didn’t see any other bodies. I’d like to think somehow he and His wife survived and we’ll see them again. The show has got me hooked so far and I’m again wishing apple did full series drops. Smart that they don’t but wish they did. 

Also agree with earlier post about the rope. How was she going to get back up? She obviously can’t swim either and the rope stops before the water what was she gonna do? 

• Like 6
(edited)
On 5/7/2023 at 10:38 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

Yeah, with a little bit of Wayward Pines thrown in.

I happened on a couple of episodes of Wayward Pines and was intriqued. Is it streaming anywhere?

Edited by marinw
4 hours ago, marinw said:

I happened on a coupler of episodes of Wayward Pines and was intriqued. Is it streaming anywhere?

According to the 'Just Watch' app it is available on hulu and the CW app, the CW is free. If you are in the US, anyway.

• Useful 1

I am digging this but man I want to binge it all. It feels like a bunch of other stuff: The 100, Snowpiercer, Logan's Run, even the Matrix (the way Allison said if she could un-know the truth she would). I definitely think the suits are poisoned, but I can't really grasp why they want everyone down there, again unless like the Matrix they are keeping people above ground an upper classes world going. Maybe the earth is livable but still has few resources and so they keep a tight grip on the Silo. I'd have to think Judicial moves freely between the two. 

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, blixie said:

but I can't really grasp why they want everyone down there, again unless like the Matrix they are keeping people above ground an upper classes world going.

Maybe the whole thing started indeed from a disaster/"cataclysmic" event or a similar scare and with time some distorted/control freak minds decided that this  structured society is better than whatever exists above.
Maybe it started as some kind of cult..trying to live in their own isolated world. Or an experiment gone wrong.
It could also be an AI that took control of things.. 
Or they could be stranded in an alien planet..
Or this could be purgatory...oops wait.. ;)
So many possibilities..
The rebellion that erased (?) all history's sources was very convenient..

Btw, is it possible that no oral history was preserved?
We are not talking about thousand of years, we are talking about 200years or so, right? is it possible to erase the past completely from people's minds?

In any case, the Silo seems to deteriorate, that generator looks quite old and fragile..so sooner or later they will have to leave I guess.

• Like 6
On 5/8/2023 at 5:02 AM, marinw said:

I happened on a couple of episodes of Wayward Pines and was intriqued. Is it streaming anywhere?

Oh, stay away from Wayward Pines! It started out really good but went downhill very quickly.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
On 5/7/2023 at 8:53 AM, marinw said:

It’s also possible that the Sherrif was hallucinating the greenery as a result of the poison.

…or maybe the faceplate of the helmet has a display, and projects a VR rendering of a beautiful landscape? That way cleaners are motivated to wipe off the sensor, as they are believing that they’re showing the Silo’s inhabitants that the outside is actually livable when in truth it is not (how dark!).

The file that George and Allison were looking at was called “Julia Carmody Cleaning”… maybe it is a file that is uploaded to every cleaner’s helmet, and Julia was the name of the first cleaner or the creator of the file? It looked like what they saw closely matched what Holston saw, down to the formation of the flying birds. I’ll have to look at that again.

I’m actually hoping that the view screen is a CGI morality tale to keep the Silo’s citizens in fear of the outside, but I guess we’ll find out.

Edited by tkc
  • Like 4

How does it not occur to these people that what they're being shown of the outside might be a fake projection? The threat of being sent out to clean has successfully destroyed most people's intellectual curiosity and willingness to question reality.

Why was Julliette climbing down the rope barehanded? Unless she wasn't expecting to return, someone in the silo would want to know what happened to her hands.

• Like 1