Type keyword(s) to search

Clone High (2023) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Seems weird that this is called "Clone High (2023)" instead of just "Clone High season 2", which this is. When arrested development came back it wasn't called "Arrested Development (2014)".

Did the original show really get cancelled because of Gandhi? Why? He doesn't seem any more offensive than all the other characters. which is to say "very", but in an endearing way.

So far this is even more funny than season 1. I approve.

"Women and their glass ceilings, that they are always prancing around on top of!"

Watched the first 2 episodes -- just as funny as Season 1.

The Season 1 cliffhanger with all the clones getting frozen was the ideal plot device to allow all the Season 1 clones to go 20 years without aging.  

In the opening sequence, here's the list of all names on the file folders:

Abe Lincoln
Abigail Adams
Anne Boleyn
Anne Brontë
Attila the Hun
Beethoven
Betsy Rosse
Buddha
Catherine the Great
Charlotte Brontë
Cleopatra
Confucius
Dean Martin
Emily Brontë
Eva Peron
Frank Sinatra
Frida Kahlo
Gene Kelly
Genghis Khan
George Washington
Geogre Washington Carver
Groucho Marx
Harriet Tubman
Harvey Milk
Helen of Troy
Henry Rathbone
Henry VIII
Isaac Newton
Jayne Mansfield
Jesus Cristo
JFK
Joan of Arc
John Adams
John Belushi
John Quincy Adams
Julius Caesar
Lyndon Johnson
Marie Antoinette
Marie Curie
Marilyn Monroe
Moses
Mother Teresa
Napoleon Bonaparte
Nikola Tesla
Nostradamus
Paul Revere
Peter Lawford
Ponce de Leon
Rock Hudson
Sam Adams
Sammy Davis Jr.
Sigmund Freud
St. Peter
Susan B. Anthony
Thomas Edison
Tom Mix
Van Gogh
William Howard Taft
Winston Churchill

Several file folder names were crossed out, including: Gandhi
They didn't "survive" the unfreezing process.

1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Did the original show really get cancelled because of Gandhi? Why? He doesn't seem any more offensive than all the other characters. which is to say "very", but in an endearing way.

It did.

https://www.cbr.com/why-clone-high-canceled-first-time/

56 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It did.

Still seems weird.

From the article you linked:

This clone of Gandhi on Clone High was a party animal, a lady's man and an all-around loser with a jerk's personality. People in India heard about the depiction of Gandhi and were so angered that they wanted the show canceled.

Seems like that depiction was pretty harmless compared to the real guy: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1983/3/7/the-truth-about-gandhi-pbtbhe-movie/

My personal highlight is how he prevented his wife from getting penicillin, that would have saved her life, but when he was infected with Malaria, he couldn't get medicine into his veins fast enough.

everyone's voice seems off, but I guess 20 years will do that to you. I understand recasting Cleo, but hwy have the orginal actress take a new prominent role? it confuses my tiny brain.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:48 AM, JTMacc99 said:

This sounds like a fun show. Do I need to, or would it be useful to, watch season 1, or should I just jump in to the new episodes?

watch season 1 if you can

• Like 1
On 6/14/2023 at 12:34 AM, MrWhyt said:

watch season 1 if you can

So I just wrapped up season 1. I'm glad that I didn't watch this back in the day and then had to deal with it being cancelled, because it is fun and super clever. 

Robotic Abe: “My fellow Americans, as we try to weave the fabric of this great nation back together, I say to you…try the churros.”

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

So I just wrapped up season 1. I'm glad that I didn't watch this back in the day and then had to deal with it being cancelled, because it is fun and super clever. 

Robotic Abe: “My fellow Americans, as we try to weave the fabric of this great nation back together, I say to you…try the churros.”

you also didn't have to be kind of disappointed by it's follow up. Though perhaps , without the benefit/curse of 20 years of nostalgia, you'll enjoy the new season more than i did.

• Like 1