Type keyword(s) to search

Somewhere In Queens (2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Directed by Ray Romano, in his directorial debut, from a screenplay by Romano and Mark Stegemann. The film stars Romano and Laurie Metcalf. It premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival on June 10, 2022. It was released in the United States on April 21, 2023

Ray--bless his heart.  He should have hired a real actor to play his role. Ray is a stand up comedian, not a professional actor. But, I must say, this film is very interesting (outside of Ray's depiction of his character).  At first viewing, you'd think it's the typical Italian-American-New York movie, the big crowd gathering around the dining room table every Sunday at 12:00, yelling at each other.  Well...yeah.  But there are some more interesting people at the table--the quiet teenage son & his new girlfriend...and Ray's wife with all her separate issues. To me, a good film is one that you keep thinking about, wondering about certain characters. I really liked this film despite Ray Romano's not very good depiction of a frustrated, working class dad (wish he had shaved!)  I'm still thinking about that sweet, kind, quiet, teen basketball star son. I recommend this film!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm still thinking about that sweet, kind, quiet, teen basketball star son.

Shallow, I know, but I was distracted by his nose, which looked like it had been lopped off.  He's just very strange looking to me.  And I think he was just a little too shy to be believable.

I didn't mind Romano's performance, but I generally find him appealing.  I never watched his TV show when it originally aired, but see it in reruns when I'm surfing around and I really like it.  I thought what his character did in this movie was thought-provoking, especially in contrast to his much more likable character on TV.  And I think the movie was confidently directed, which always makes me feel good.

• Like 1

I watched it today and really liked it.  The young actors are very good, and the old timers are too.  I also got to see lots of places I knew of in the opening montage.  White Castle on Queens Boulevard, yeah!

Many people are comparing this to Moonstruck for its portrayal of Italians, and I must say this is much more real.  And I like Moonstruck.  These people were really a lot like Queens Italians, like those in my mixed-up family and my husband's (we also have Ashkenazi Jewish and Irish backgrounds). 

On 5/2/2023 at 6:23 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Ray--bless his heart.  He should have hired a real actor to play his role. Ray is a stand up comedian, not a professional actor. But, I must say, this film is very interesting (outside of Ray's depiction of his character).  At first viewing, you'd think it's the typical Italian-American-New York movie, the big crowd gathering around the dining room table every Sunday at 12:00, yelling at each other.  Well...yeah.  But there are some more interesting people at the table--the quiet teenage son & his new girlfriend...and Ray's wife with all her separate issues. To me, a good film is one that you keep thinking about, wondering about certain characters. I really liked this film despite Ray Romano's not very good depiction of a frustrated, working class dad (wish he had shaved!)  I'm still thinking about that sweet, kind, quiet, teen basketball star son. I recommend this film!

I loved the two young leads, and I agree Ray should have shaved.  But I thought he did a good job with the role.  I thought Laurie Metcalf was more miscast.  She didn't seem Italian. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I watched it today and really liked it.  The young actors are very good, and the old timers are too.  I also got to see lots of places I knew of in the opening montage.  White Castle on Queens Boulevard, yeah!

Many people are comparing this to Moonstruck for its portrayal of Italians, and I must say this is much more real.  And I like Moonstruck.  

Iloved the two young leads, and I agree Ray should have shaved.  But I thought he did a good job with the role.  I thought Laurie Metcalf was more miscast.  She didn't seem Italian. 

I was just thinking of Laurie Metcalf (in that role) earlier today. Didn't she play Roseanne's sister? Yeah..she didn't seem Italian but what a tough character to portray (so harsh & angry). I agree about Moonstruck vs this movie. This one seemed more familiar.

Has anyone seen the Sebastian Maniscalco movie? Something tells me it's going to be too stereotyped.  His comedy routines are funny but he's playing the tough Italiano. I saw an older video, maybe when he was starting out & he didn't tawk this way. 

11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was just thinking of Laurie Metcalf (in that role) earlier today. Didn't she play Roseanne's sister? Yeah..she didn't seem Italian but what a tough character to portray (so harsh & angry). I agree about Moonstruck vs this movie. This one seemed more familiar.

Has anyone seen the Sebastian Maniscalco movie? Something tells me it's going to be too stereotyped.  His comedy routines are funny but he's playing the tough Italiano. I saw an older video, maybe when he was starting out & he didn't tawk this way. 

I have not seen the Maniscalco movie yet.  I thought he did a good job in this movie.  I think his other movie will be broader comedy like Moonstruck. 

• Useful 1

I was really looking forward to this movie and kept checking theaters here to no avail.  . I’ve liked Ray for a long time and my husband and I saw a taping of ELR  . The actor/ comic who was really nice during the taping was Brad Garrett. It was relatively  small theater and during a break he’d come stand near the audience and interact with them. Someone told him she used to work with him at the Italian Restaurant in studio City and he said yeah I think I owe you a shift.  I really like Rays tv series Men of A Certain Age.
Oh and Patrica Hutton sat with her arms folded and sour faced. I’ll be watching on Prime. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Is this streaming anywhere for free yet? I don’t think the theater in my one horse town is going to carry it.

I was just about to say "going to carry it?" because it was released last April and if they haven't shown it yet they're not going to.  FWIW, it didn't get a super wide release--I had to go to a suburb of Atlanta to see it.

However, it turns out it's currently showing in Tempe, Arizona, and Leawood (Kansas City), Kansas.  So you never know.

Here's a handy site that shows where movies are showing all over the country.  It's not comprehensive (I've found a couple of theaters that aren't included), but it's the best I've found for finding out what's showing somewhere beyond the end of your nose.  (I travel fulltime and it's a bitch trying to coordinate my moviegoing.)

https://www.tributemovies.com/movie/Somewhere-in-Queens/169240/

Click on showtimes and it lists all states that are showing that movie, and then you can click on the city. 

• Like 1
On 7/11/2023 at 6:19 AM, chediavolo said:

Is this streaming anywhere for free yet? I don’t think the theater in my one horse town is going to carry it.

On 7/11/2023 at 3:21 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Not yet. It’s in the $5.99 rental range. 

It’s on Hulu now. 

Just saw this on Hulu. I was so looking forward to it. This was such a disappointment. It was depressing. It was badly acted. I agree that Laurie Metcalf could never pass for an Italian. It was just so bad. Not what I was expecting at all, I 8loved Ray Romano, in everybody loves Raymond and men of a certain age and then I think there was another movie I saw him in. But he was just terrible in this, although maybe it was the sad sack character.