Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Rock the Wedding

• Start Topic

Here's something to think about:  Corina doesn't try to hide that she is a bitch.  She owns it.  She is consistent with it.  So I have no problem with her telling Amanda that she is fake.  In my mind, she IS fake.  Admittedly, I don't particularly like Amanada, cuz, well, I think she's fake.  And her reaction to Corina  showed no personal reflection on how she was acting.  Although she did seem a bit better this epi so there is that. Personally, I agree with others who said that Amanda intentionally cut the pants too small.  This is a classic passive-aggressive move - making it look like you're helping, but that "help" is actually sabotage. I don't mind Corina mainly because I think she is being her true bitchy self.  Not that I like her, but she doesn't irritate me as much as others.   

Personal preference, I guess. No one has ever won points with me by "owning" being a bitch. Usually "owning" comes with some kind of borderline celebrating of the bitchy qualities, and that translates into zero attempt to ever hold back or actually be a nice person. That perturbs me more than someone who has the decency to at least see semi uncertain/ashamed about their flaws. (At least there is a shot they are working on their flaws if they recognize that things they have done are mean or not ideal). Those who "own" bitchiness usually have no shame or guilt about it, and no effort to change, which usually indicates an even higher level of character problems. Whether you celebrate it or announce it, a bitch is still a bitch. And really, it shouldn't be treated as something you have no shame about. Korina drives me nuts.

• Love 17

As for Amanda trying to sabotage Korina with the pants....it is passive aggressive enough for her ( I don't think it is in her nature to be overtly bitchy or cruel) but I really don't think that was her motivation. If she had immunity, perhaps...but if the pants were a complete disaster, she would have been blamed. Amanda gives the vibe ( pun fully intended here) that she is confident, but I don't believe it. I think she is putting on that mask bc she came across so insecure the last time. She also does try to be friendly, even when people are directly cruel to her. I see this more as her way of trying to prove she is a good person to Korina and not worthy of her scorn. Also, if they did make the top two by some alignment of the stars, you know she, unlike kino, would claim ownership of both two garments to make her the clear contender for the win. And if they were in the bottom two, Korina would have thrown her under the bus and backed over her several times. I think since this was a true 11th hour save, she used her own models measurements out of stupidity or rushing. If she wanted to sabotage Korina, all she would have to do is nothing and let the model walk out sans pants. That would fully be on Korina.

• Love 8

If she wanted to sabotage Korina, all she would have to do is nothing and let the model walk out sans pants. That would fully be on Korina.

Yeah I agree, I don't think she purposely sabotaged Korina's pants. I think she just didn't bother to check the measurements first. I think it was just carelessness or time-crunch or something. I don't like Amanda because I find her annoying, for many of the reasons others have stated above, but I don't think is actually mean or vindictive. Also, re: the crappy pants not fitting right...maybe Amanda just kind of sucks at making fitted clothes. I feel like everything I've seen from her this season (I didn't see her in her other season) has just been loose-fitting-type stuff, not tailored. 

• Love 3

Char didn't "give in" she's the one who said citrus & was excited about it, she was all for that color yellow.

Not quite.  When they were sketching, Char said yellow, and they agreed on citrus colors. However, when they were at Mood, Sandhya picked that particular shade of yellow, Char said she thought it was too bright, but then went with Sandhya.  In her talking head, she said she agreed to the shade because sometimes you have to take risks.

• Love 1
And lastly, could they make those stupid voting graphics any more gigantic on screen? They block what I'm actually trying to look at. The sooner this trend of 'interactive TV watching' passes, the better. HASHTAG CUT IT THE FUCK OUT.

So agree! It's only there on the first viewing, if you tape the middle of the night edition, it's not there.

• Love 3

Char didn't "give in" she's the one who said citrus & was excited about it, she was all for that color yellow.

Not quite.  When they were sketching, Char said yellow, and they agreed on citrus colors. However, when they were at Mood, Sandhya picked that particular shade of yellow, Char said she thought it was too bright, but then went with Sandhya.  In her talking head, she said she agreed to the shade because sometimes you have to take risks.

Yeah, this. My television may be drastically off, but the color Sandhya chose is definitely not the color of any citrus I've ever seen.

I also thought it was a little annoying that she portrayed her own wedding dress as unconventional because of the color. Red has been completely traditional for hindu wedding dresses for a hell of a lot longer than white has been traditional for western weddings.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Those who "own" bitchiness usually have no shame or guilt about it, and no effort to change, which usually indicates an even higher level of character problems. Whether you celebrate it or announce it, a bitch is still a bitch. And really, it shouldn't be treated as something you have no shame about.

ICAM!  My point is that what I see with Korina is the same every epi.  I don't like her and I don't think she is very talented but she has become such a one-note character that I know what to expect from her.  It really could be her insecurity and fear that cause her to act like that but a bitch is a bitch.  So when she is the shameless bitch, no surprise here.  And we do all interpret things differently.  

I personally dislike people who are phony and try to hide who they really are, especially by pretending to be nicey nice when they are really just manipulating.  IMHO they are more dangerous.  In my very JADED opinion, Amanda and Sandya both fall into the phony category.   I don't know if we've seen the real Amanda and Sandya or not.  Again, I wear jaded glasses, so of course I could be reading way too much of the edited shots I see.  

• Love 1

Amanda gives the vibe ( pun fully intended here) that she is confident, but I don't believe it. I think she is putting on that mask bc she came across so insecure the last time. She also does try to be friendly, even when people are directly cruel to her. I see this more as her way of trying to prove she is a good person to Korina and not worthy of her scorn.

I've always been slightly put off by Amamda, and I could never figure out why. This discussion and the episode really cleared it up for me though. I agree that Amanda is wearing a mask. She seems to me to be totally self-concious ALL the time. I think her mind has a constant internal running stream of thought about how she is presenting herself and how she is perceived. She probably can't escape it even if she wants to. Being so conscious of yourself all the time means you are pretty unaware of what's going on for others and what they think, even while their reaction to you is the most important thing to you. It's a tragic paradox for someone to be caught in.

What we DON"T know is what the conversation was BEFORE Korina said her piece. Was it REALLY out of the blue, or was it only that way to Amanda because she's oblivious?

It strikes me that Amanda has no sense of humor. It's hard to relax and have a good laugh when you are always analyzing how you are coming across and worrying about it. You can't get your brain to shut the F up long enough to be spontaneous. Humor requires spontenaity and that's the LAST word I would ever use for Amanda. I'm totally convinced that Fade was pulling her leg when he was "comforting" her (saying he'd send out a model naked to make time for her). I don't know whether he realized she didn't get it and got a kick out her taking it seriously, whether he assumed she got it and was sharing the joke, or whether he was merely confused by her reaction because she didn't get what he was doing. But it felt to me that he was teasing her in a good natured way and she Just. Didn't. Get it.

I think this is why people are put off by her or call her phony. I dont think it's a choice she makes. I think she has no choice at all because of whatever is going on for her emotionally/psychologically. But it could come across as "phony" or "fake" even though it may the only way she knows how to be, and may be (deep down) very unhappy about it. It would be awful not to be able to ever relax, get out of your own head, have your self-awareness take a break now and then, and be spontaneous or enjoy a good laugh.

I feel rather sorry for her.

• Love 4

In any case, if Korina really said "When you win, you take the win from someone else,"  Amanda should have told her, "Well, when someone loses they take the loss away from you."

This always seems so funny to me, and yet season after season contestants are pissed off about this fact.    How can anyone seriously not realize this is how EVERY competition works?  Having said that - god knows what actually happened or didn't happen between Amanda and Korina - despite the big fucking deal the show made of it, we have no footage at all of what Korina supposedly said.  Feh.

If you took away the hair and the makeup and the dresses, Dita von Teese would be absolutely nothing.  That's because she wears a costume every day of her life.  Can we please stop encouraging grown women to dress like in is Halloween 24/7?  It is infantile.

If you took away the hair and the makeup and the dresses, you have just removed all the fashion elements (well, except shoes, I guess) that any person could have.  No fashion person from Heidi Klum to Coco Chanel could qualify as a fashion or style anything under those constraints.  As RuPaul always says,  we're born naked and EVERYTHING after that is DRAG.  I didn't love Dita as a judge on this episode but I have no problem at all with her personal style.  She's been known for it since the early 90's and if you're tired of seeing her many imitators, so be it.  But she HAS a style which is more than most of the guest judges on this show do.  As for her choosing Dita as her stage name, she and Madonna both chose it as an homage to the brilliant and beautiful Dita Parlo, who starred in two of the greatest movies ever made, L'Atalante and Grand Illusion.  

Those who "own" bitchiness usually have no shame or guilt about it, and no effort to change, which usually indicates an even higher level of character problems. Whether you celebrate it or announce it, a bitch is still a bitch. And really, it shouldn't be treated as something you have no shame about.

Yes, I feel the same about the whole Keeping It Real crowd.  If hypocrisy is the compliment vice pays to virtue as La Rochfoucauld said, the KIR folks don't even regard virtue as an aspirational goal.  They want to be admired for being assholes - sorry, can't do it.

They had so little time to do anything that I'm surprised that anyone produced decent looking stuff.  It really does make me sad when I think of, for example, the beautiful looks on the Season Four avant-garde team challenge.  Jillian and Victorya's coat! Chris March and Christian Siriano's ballgown!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 9

So agree! It's only there on the first viewing, if you tape the middle of the night edition, it's not there.

Oh good tip!! I rarely watch it until the next day anyway, so I might just have to change the recording time. Thank you!

In German, "zu" means "to" and "grau" means "gray" so I figured that Fade zu Grau translated to "fade to gray" - which works well with his design this episode.  This above post prompted me to see if "Fade" is a German word too - it is.  Fade means bland, insipid, dull, tasteless, flat, vapid, stuffy, characterless....

In my head, I will keep thinking of him as Fade to Gray - mostly because it fits better, but also, the umlaut (the two little dots above the A) might change the word/meaning, and because he pronounces it as fayd, and f-a-d-e should be pronounced more like fah-day german.

Actually it is pronounced like Fayduh.  The preposition "zu" as part of a German last name generally denotes descent from the nobility. Fäde zu Grau would be something more like "Fäde of Grey" or "Fäde, Lord Grey" or something like that.  I have never heard of the name Fäde before and I strongly suspect that Fäde's entire name is made up to make himself seem more impressive.  In Germany, have a "zu" or a "von" in your surname strongly suggests that you are a member of the upper class. I bet his real name is something totally banal.  Anyway, I am suspicious of anyone who changes their name to make it seem like they are a member of a class they were not born into in order to get ahead.  It would be like one of us changing our last name to Rockefeller.   

Thank you, Diane Mars!  I had a strong feeling that his name was from something like this, but did not think to chase it down.  He's my favorite, and I'm hoping he will now start pulling into the lead.  I like Kini's work, too, but he seems to favor black dresses that resemble each other an awful lot.  Fade favors grey more than I like, but I have loved, loved, loved some of his designs.  

• Love 2

I wasn't in agreement in other episode threads when people fawned over Kini, but in this episode, I wish he would have made it known that he did the top.  I don't like for people not to get credit for what they do.  I think he would have won if the judges knew what he did.

• Love 2

I personally dislike people who are phony and try to hide who they really are, especially by pretending to be nicey nice when they are really just manipulating.  IMHO they are more dangerous.  In my very JADED opinion, Amanda and Sandya both fall into the phony category.   I don't know if we've seen the real Amanda and Sandya or not.  Again, I wear jaded glasses, so of course I could be reading way too much of the edited shots I see.  

^^I second this emotion.  We must go to the same optometrist, because I also wear jaded glasses.  As time goes on, it seems like Shandaya falls more into the phony category, which stinks because I really enjoyed her at first, so maybe we'll see something different.

As RuPaul always says,  we're born naked and EVERYTHING after that is DRAG.  

How much do I love RuPaul?  A lot!

I don't know if we've seen the real Amanda and Sandya or not.

I think we have to consider the source of our opinions, particularly in light of the deliberately manipulative and craptastic editing that is no secret on this show.  I thought for years we were seeing the real Tim. Then Under the Gunn happened. Frankly, I doubt we've seen the "real" anyone, from Heidi on down. When I watch this show now, I'm hyper aware of the fact that the producers are molding these people into characters and storyline to amplify drama where it exists, and create some where this is none.

If I found myself on this kind of show, particularly in a high pressure competitive environment, I would be so horribly self-conscious and uncomfortable. I shudder to think how I'd come across to the masses.

Swatch is the only one keeping it real on a consistent basis.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 7

If I found myself on this kind of show, particularly in a high pressure competitive environment, I would be so horribly self-conscious and uncomfortable. I shudder to think how I'd come across to the masses.

The pressure brings out all sorts of behaviors we're normally able to control.   You can see this particularly with people who are repeats on the show or All-stars.  I seem to recall more than one saying that they didn't show their talent or normal self on their first season and want another chance to do so.  Fine, until the pressure ramps up again....   You can also see it in the difference in behaviors during the reunion shows.  Sure, some folks are nuts or bitchy during the reunion show but most seem to be back within socially acceptable ranges of behavior.

Amanda is probably a lovely person away from the show, perhaps with a slight tendency toward pretension since that what appears to be coming out of her in spades under stress.  She hasn't become the out and out hell bitch that others have, including her first season BFF's, because her personality goes a different way.  That said, she consistently has trouble in teams, including this week.  Once or twice, it's because she's paired with a looney bird of some kind.  When it consistently happens, there's something up with her, too.

I seem to be virtually alone on the planet about this, but I like Amanda.  Yes, I said it.  I think she's honest and funny.  I also think that some of her self-deprecating humor doesn't translate well in the sound bites.  For instance, the "laying down sweet tunes" anecdote about her childhood was, to me, Amanda poking fun at her and her brother's early musical efforts.  But to others it came across as something obnoxious.  In any case, I felt she did not deserve to be mean-girled by the spiteful and talentless Korina

Kini was robbed because Sean didn't come clean about who did what, even if that would not have changed the outcome; at least the judges would have given Kini credit in their minds for his incredibly quick and excellent work on both the wedding dress AND the top they all loved.

Char was sabotaged because even if she wasn't one of the best designers, she ended up going out on another person's fabric, design and color, not her own.  Plus I liked her as a fellow Michigander and the clothes she sent down the runway prior to this ep were at least consistently respectable.

Agree with all those who said Emily was wrongly harangued for making an unconventional wedding dress which is exactly what the challenge called for.  And it was a cool dress.

At least we are rid of Horan or Hosan or whatever his name was, who in my opinion was runner-up to Korina for free-floating malice and superiority unencumbered by skill.  If I had to hear him call Sandhya "bitch" one more time (and mean it in exactly the misogynistic way it is commonly used) I would have shouted at the TV.

• Love 2

Kini was robbed because Sean didn't come clean about who did what, even if that would not have changed the outcome; at least the judges would have given Kini credit in their minds for his incredibly quick and excellent work on both the wedding dress AND the top they all loved.

Last week, Kini mentioned that he had time to spare and the judges seemed to be a bit miffed about it.  Perhaps, Kini didn't say anything because he didn't want to point out that he had extra time again this week. 

Still, would've have been best if Sean said "I designed the blouse and Kini sewed it."

• Love 2

Char was sabotaged because even if she wasn't one of the best designers, she ended up going out on another person's fabric, design and color, not her own.  Plus I liked her as a fellow Michigander and the clothes she sent down the runway prior to this ep were at least consistently respectable.

I agree with you about Kini and Sean.  The judges should have known that Kini made the top that Sean designed and then let them sort the issues out.

I like Char, but she wasn't sabotaged.  She and Sandhya worked as partners in the design phase and in purchasing fabrics at Mood.  Char suggested yellow, Sandhya agreed that citrus shades were the way they should go.  One of them COULD have made a fabulous yellow dress.  They didn't.  Char's was an epic disaster.  Sandhya's was bad but perhaps slightly better than Char's.  Char's biggest problem is that after a nice beginning in the season, she showed that she doesn't have enough range yet.  With some experience, she'll be a strong designer.

• Love 5

The work of the designers in competition doesn't live up to the work they show from their portfolio.... Each time I think we are going to finally see some great work and then we don't.

I'm sure their portfolio designs weren't done in a day.  PR's one-day challenge format guarantees dreck rather than design.

• Love 4

EyesGlazed, I like Amanda too.  I read her the same way you do.  I think she's trying to use self-deprecating, slightly sarcastic humor about herself, but it doesn't quite come off as she intends.  Her wins have baffled me, but clearly the judges like what they are seeing from her.  She bugged me somewhat in her season, but that was just a horrible season in general, so no surprise, I guess. It seems to be an exception rather than the rule that the designers on this show do well in team challenges.  Yes, they may need to work in teams in real life, but then it isn't an intense, pressure-packed competition. Competitive, I'm sure, but not like this. 

Someone on another thread said that Season 10 was a stand-out, and looking back I can agree (Dimitry!!), but 11 and 12 were awful, awful.  And yet I still watch.  At least we haven't descended to Gretchen or Anya levels of horrible, so there's that. 

• Love 2

I'm sure their portfolio designs weren't done in a day.  PR's one-day challenge format guarantees dreck rather than design.

Very true.  But at the same time, I wonder why some of these designers don't work out a handful of basic designs before hand or learn how to make a series of classic shapes of dresses, pants, and tops.  Some obviously do and it shows.  For an unconventional challenge, every one of the designers should be able to make a strong shift or A-line or other basic shape to use as the basis for their design.    Imagine if you were a chef and someone handed you a new sort of fish.  Most chefs would stand there and think "Hmm, a nice firm white meat, I think I'll use that method I like for halibut with this.".  A chef equivalent to some of these PR contestants would think "A fish!  I should cook this, probably.  I wonder how that could be done?".

• Love 7

Very true.  But at the same time, I wonder why some of these designers don't work out a handful of basic designs before hand or learn how to make a series of classic shapes of dresses, pants, and tops.  Some obviously do and it shows.  For an unconventional challenge, every one of the designers should be able to make a strong shift or A-line or other basic shape to use as the basis for their design.    Imagine if you were a chef and someone handed you a new sort of fish.  Most chefs would stand there and think "Hmm, a nice firm white meat, I think I'll use that method I like for halibut with this.".  A chef equivalent to some of these PR contestants would think "A fish!  I should cook this, probably.  I wonder how that could be done?".

I wonder if any single one of the designers since her season was as smart as Leanne about it--in preparation for the show she made a dress a day for weeks, I recall her saying in an interview.  It's entirely possible they don't get as much time between auditions and casting as they used to--but I would think, if you made it past the first round, it's time to start practicing.  I would give myself an unconventional challenge, a red carpet challenge, etc., things that I could feel pretty certain were going to come up.  (Easy for me to say, I guess, but it just seems logical.)

• Love 7

I always wondered why the designers don't make menswear. I think there were at least 3 challenges in the past where menswear was required: Designer Makeover (S2), Tiki Barbour(?) challenge (S4), and the Thunder Down Under challenge (S11?).

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 1

Also, one of the true lows in the history of this program...The Sheepdog challenge.

So wrong, so, so many ways. I've never seen a group of guys look more hideously uncomfortable even before the hella designers got hold of them.

So, yes, why the hell wouldn't you at least practice sewing a pair of pants with a fly in them?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3

I never understand why they have so much trouble with menswear since they have so much trouble designing anything for women with breasts.  I'm not even talking about larger breasts that require a bra - they are terrible at bodices even for their generally small-breasted models.  They just cannot deal with the curves.

I'd think menswear would be a breeze - no breast shapes to mangle, and usually no hips and big butts to worry about, either.  Except menswear usually requires sleeves and even collars, and many of them are hopeless at anything but sleeveless and strapless (at least, when doing it in a day).

• Love 1

Men's wear usually requires tailoring. You have to literally pound seams, then press, press, press! You have to be able to do French seams. It takes so much longer to construct men's wear. Some of these contestants cannot sew at all so more complicated articles would not work.

• Love 2

I'd think menswear would be a breeze - no breast shapes to mangle, and usually no hips and big butts to worry about, either.  Except menswear usually requires sleeves and even collars, and many of them are hopeless at anything but sleeveless and strapless (at least, when doing it in a day).

Clearly, you've never met my brother, who has the world's biggest butt in proportion to his body.

Good thing for me I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read this or I would have spit it all over my computer screen. Too funny!

• Love 2

I know I'm late to this thread, but I just watched this episode and something confused me. During judging, they critiqued 4 teams, and said Amanda/Korina were safe. So I assumed that there would be 2 teams on the top and 2 teams on the bottom, with A/K in the middle.

But then the judges panned 3 of the teams, only liking Kini/Sean. So ... doesn't that mean that they liked A/K better than 3 of the teams they critiqued? So why didn't they make one of the 3 bottom teams "safe" and critique A/K instead (so that they'd have 2 top teams and 2 bottom teams)?

I know I'm late to this thread, but I just watched this episode and something confused me. During judging, they critiqued 4 teams, and said Amanda/Korina were safe. So I assumed that there would be 2 teams on the top and 2 teams on the bottom, with A/K in the middle.

But then the judges panned 3 of the teams, only liking Kini/Sean. So ... doesn't that mean that they liked A/K better than 3 of the teams they critiqued? So why didn't they make one of the 3 bottom teams "safe" and critique A/K instead (so that they'd have 2 top teams and 2 bottom teams)?

They complained about the goth dress, but that team was still in the top.... so they must have scored higher than A/K, but it just showed that Kini and Sean were miles ahead of everyone else.

They liked Fade's dress and several of the judges liked the goth dress, but of course some of them had to be critical...

• Love 2

They complained about the goth dress, but that team was still in the top.... so they must have scored higher than A/K, but it just showed that Kini and Sean were miles ahead of everyone else.

They liked Fade's dress and several of the judges liked the goth dress, but of course some of them had to be critical...

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

• Love 1