Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Rock the Wedding

• Start Topic

Dita Von Teese gives me the creeps. What makes her a fashion expert? She wears those stupid burlesque outfits. She had one expression on her face, and her opinions were pretty worthless. The Italian blogger didn't add much to the judging panel either. They must be hard up for judges this year.

I like burlesque models and burlesque photography.   I want to like Dita Von Teese.  But the more you see/hear/say "Dita Von Teese," the more silly and pretentious it seems -- (wasn't Dita the name of the character in Madonna's "Sex" book too?).   I guess it's more racy than her real name (Heather) but it always sounds contrived.  The icing on the cake of course is that she married Marilyn Manson, so in my book that pretty much invalidates her personal taste, judgment, and common sense.

It was rude of her to say she was trying not to laughing at Emily's dress. 

• Love 5

Regarding the blogger judge....Word-a! 

Nevermind that my BFF came here at 25 from Rome, where i spent the summer. I just spent ten hours with Sophia Loren on TCM.

It sounded like Lucy Ricardo's version on Eyetalian accent. "Scratchy the woody", anyone?

So maybe it's a hip affectation, like vocal fry or valley girl vowels or lockjaw? Or that Theville, Thpain lithp?

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 1

Well, of COURSE Amanda was hurt by Korina calling her a phony. Because Amanda is a perfect, beautiful flower and a genius designer, so it hurts when someone doesn't realize that. I mean, she knows TONS of girls who would wear that dress she made in this episode, and she would wear it herself, so therefore it MUST be amazing. Right?

[Massive Eye Roll]

AMANDA:  Like you didn't call me a phony?

KORINA: What? Thanks! Real good!  Amanda! First of all, I think you completely misunderstood what I said. I meant it in a complimentary way. I mean, you know when people say, 'He's bad', it really means he's good, sort of thing? You know, slang.

AMANDA: Use it in a sentence.

KORINA: Man, that Ralph Lauren is so phony ...

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

The icing on the cake of course is that she married Marilyn Manson, so in my book that pretty much invalidates her personal taste, judgment, and common sense.

Preach.

I just kept looking at her Kabuki/Gothsicle face and thinking, "Really? You had sex with Marilyn Manson. On purpose. AND YOU MARRIED HIM. Calling you a 'judge' in any context is really somewhat...whimsical."

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 8

To me Dita is someone who is famous for being famous. I get though she put all her energy into reviving burlesque at a time when it wasn't everywhere, so for that she deserves some respect and icon status. But oy! - she should try just to be seen and not heard! 

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 2

One day to make a wedding dress?  Even an unconventional wedding dress?  I'm amazed the results were as good as they were, honestly.  I thought the judges were a bit too harsh.  I didn't think Samantha's or Fade's or Emily's were bad, considering the time-frame.

It's so funny--everyone hates Amanda, and I like Amanda.  (Moreover, I love Kate and Dom!)  Everyone loves Kini, and I can't stand that dude.  So smug and impressed with himself and entitled.  He's not Terry Dietz, but he's on that spectrum.  So he sewed a little to help his teammate out--lots of people have sewed things to help their competition out, in the history of this show.  Being on a team, sharing the sewing should be completely expected.  And everything he designs is well-sewn boresville to me.

The whole Korina-Amanda drama was just weird to me; obviously they must have missed the footage, but I think at that point just cut out the whole storyline.  Absolutely nothing came of it.  They weren't even on the top or bottom, for crying out loud.  I could feel the editors' desperation to get some of this juicy 'fight' on screen the whole episode, but your cameramen missed it, guys.  They missed it.  It's not going to magically appear no matter how long they awkwardly linger in the waiting room after Korina and Amanda were declared safe.  Give up.  (I certainly don't believe there was anything but self-interest in Amanda's making the pants, so why on earth would she want to sabotage her teammate?  She didn't have immunity.  She wanted to stay out of the bottom, and mission accomplished.  Same as Kini.)

Agree that Dita was sort of obnoxious and I am one of those who loved the Blondə Saladə and her extraneous schwas.  I'd almost believe there was a language barrier after all, because she seemed to think the point of judging was a thoughtful, serious critique rather than a snark competition.  (God Nina's #badjoke was fucking embarassing.)  Fade was great--his dress probably was cooler than it looked on TV, but in any case he was just super-nice and I am coming around to the Fade Love Train.  Alexander's dead-eyed slackjawed stare makes me laugh, but he does nothing but criticize the other designers' work and is annoying to me.  Char seemed nice, but never made anything I liked (even the first episode) and I don't mind seeing her go. 

Having Tim sit in with the judges makes him seem like a tattle-tale.

Yes, absolutely.  So annoying.

Interesting though that Amanda and Korina made fun of the other designers in previous episodes, and now that Korina has turned it around to Amanda, Amanda can't take it.  I do feel sorry for Amanda, but she has participated in that same behavior before-both in this season and her previous season.

When did Amanda do this?

I've never heard a primary italian speaker use that particular mannerism before, but I suppose she could be emphasizing her foreigness as part of her brand.

I very much doubt it.  More likely she's from a different part of Italy.

• Love 8

Now that you uys say it, I can see sabotage too, because she could have asked the model for her measurements, surely she doesn't think that all models have the same measurements, so she knew better.

To give Amanda the benefit of the doubt...  Would a designer be able to look at someone else's pattern and know what seam allowance to use, or is there a commonly accepted seam allowance all designers know to use for certain garments?  I'll leave that for the designers/seamstresses amongst us, because all I know about making clothes I learned in 7th grade Home Ec, and promptly forgot.

I have no strong feelings about Amanda one way or the other.  I do think she has been full of herself this season and somewhat disingenuous, and if she never uses the phrase "rock-and-roll" again, it will be too soon, but, for the most part I don't find her objectionable as a reality show contestant.  I think it's possible she sabotaged Korina's pants, but, hey, maybe Korina tried to sabotage her by having her put together an inferior pattern. Who knows?  It's a reality show.  The only thing not possible is reality. 

• Love 2

Hm.. this leads me to a question. I apologize if this has been answered before.  At what point do the designers know who their model(s) will be for a specific challenge?  I completely agree with the comments on the skin tone of the model being important, especially for that bright yellow.  Do the designers know who their model will be (and more importantly in this case what her skin tone will be) before they go fabric shopping? I think it's extra hard for a team challenge if the designers want to use the same color in both looks and the models' skin tones aren't very similar.

Very good question - I have no clue how they do it now.  For a long time they had the models lined up on the runway, and the person who won the last challenge got to be the first to pick his/her model (picked before going to Mood).  Then they used the button bag to choose the order that the other designers picked models.  Usually everyone picked the model they had the week before and the model who was with the losing designer ended up going home too, but there were occasional changes.  Back then, the show was only an hour and some of the time was spent picking models.  Now it is 90 minutes and it doesn't feel like we are seeing any more of the design/sewing process.  I think they must be spending a lot more time on the judges deliberations and Tim's tattling.  I am not sure about that though, since I usually fast forward once runway portion is over and go back to watching when they announce the best and worst looks. 

• Love 2

I didn't think Samantha deserved the negative critique - I thought her design was pretty strong (and she must have agreed, because homegirl was looking PISSED up on the runway). But I wasn't a huge fan of Emily's or Alexander's despite the obvious work that went into it.

Fade, OTOH, sent out one of the unqualified best looks on the runway for the 6th week in a row. He got some positive comments, but it's a shame he was technically in the bottom.

Sean and Kini were the obvious winners, but my cold black heart loves that Kini didn't win. Regardless of who made the blouse, it was Sean's design and, IMO, was superior to Kini's (also very strong) look. I also like that only 3 people have won out of 6 challenges. It'll make everybody else try and step up their games.

When did Amanda do this?

She hasn't. Like, ever. The one time she said something negative about someone's design (Richard), she cried backstage and apologized after the runway despite him completely throwing her under the bus first. Otherwise Amanda's opinions of other's designs are the garden variety "I don't get it" or "that yellow is ugly". She is never rude, or as unnecessarily dismissive as Michelle was of Patricia or Korina of Sandya. I continue to toot my Amanda train horn and think she handled the awkward non-drama with Korina like a champ.

Call me crazy, but I thought those white pants fit perfectly. The fabric wouldn't have worked with a looser sillouette and I thought they pulled the whole look together. But even if they were the worst pants ever made, it was better than sending out a half naked model. Korina needs to get a grip on reality.

I have absolutely no basis for thinking this, but I am praying that Tim is bringing back Kristine next week. I am obviously being fuelled by wishful thinking, but i thought her elimination was bullshit and I am hoping Tim's melodrama next week is him realizing he should have used his save on her. Fingers crossed.

Do the designers know who their model will be

A lot of the models bleed together for me, but I can say with certainty that Emily and Sandhya have had the same models since the beginning since I know Alisar from GNTM, and Emily's model is such an amazing walker.

But even if Amanda had been told the model's measurements, she was constructing pants in a half-hour with no chance to fit them. Knowing her measurements doesn't necessarily help knowing if extra fabric needs to be through the thighs, butt or hips. Korina could have saved herself some trouble by, you know, finishing her own work.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 7

Very good question - I have no clue how they do it now.  For a long time they had the models lined up on the runway, and the person who won the last challenge got to be the first to pick his/her model (picked before going to Mood).  Then they used the button bag to choose the order that the other designers picked models.  Usually everyone picked the model they had the week before and the model who was with the losing designer ended up going home too, but there were occasional changes.  Back then, the show was only an hour and some of the time was spent picking models.  Now it is 90 minutes and it doesn't feel like we are seeing any more of the design/sewing process.  I think they must be spending a lot more time on the judges deliberations and Tim's tattling.  I am not sure about that though, since I usually fast forward once runway portion is over and go back to watching when they announce the best and worst looks. 

Oh my gosh was that even this show?  I remember that, but it's so different now I honestly thought I was mixing it up with another show. The "same model every time" would sort of negate the "blind judging" aspect though. Wow I knew the show had changed but hadn't thought about how much til you replied. Thanks!

For this particular episode since they were so hung up on the "would the same girl wear both looks?" I thought it would be interesting to have the exact same model show both the wedding and reception dress.  I can't see how they really could've done that practically speaking or if they wanted to look at the garments close up and side by side, but I thought that would have made more sense than showing a look on two fairly different women and pretend it should be the "same girl" wearing both.

• Love 1

I actually didn't think Fade's dress was that great. It was fine, and I don't dislike it, but I didn't think it was anything special. It looked like a dress I could find at Express. And don't get me wrong, I love me some Express, but I just found it sort of normal looking. Maybe if I saw it more up close to better see what he did to the fabric I'd be more into it...

Yes. I really do not understand the Fade love. I find his designs to be kind of... pedestrian. It seems like everything he makes can just be bought at a TJ Maxx or an Express. He is a talented designer in that it takes talent to design and sew anything, but I don't find anything he is doing particularly interesting.

• Love 2

I very much doubt it.  More likely she's from a different part of Italy.

I'm just going to say this once and for all. There is no "regional" accent in Italy which causes a person to end their words in a schwa any more or any less when speaking English than any other region (there are regional Italian languages, like Neapolitan, which uses schwa more often when speaking Italian/Neapolitan, though...). There are certain regions (Sicily, for example) which do not trill their r's in certain word positions, and this may make it slightly easier for them to mimic the non rhotic r of an English speaker. There are also certain areas (Tuscany) which pronounce /k/ as /h/ so they say "hoha hola" for "Coca Cola," etc. But other than that, the fact that the vast majority of Italian words end on vowels means that Italians across the board who are not very proficient in English will have this pronunciation characteristic. More simply, to those of you who know Italians who do not have this particular accent: it's because they speak English better than Chiara and have a better ear for pronunciation. It's not a regional accent; it's a question of proficiency. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the record, Chiara is from Cremona which is in Lombardia, the same region where Milan is. It's not a regional accent. It's just the fact that her English pronunciation--like many Italians--is just not that good. Hope I explained it a bit better!

Edited by outtosee
  • Love 9

I'm just going to say this once and for all. There is no "regional" accent in Italy which causes a person to end their words in a schwa any more or any less when speaking English than any other region (there are regional Italian languages, like Neapolitan, which uses schwa more often when speaking Italian/Neapolitan, though...).

Got it!  I really just meant to say I didn't think she was 'faking it' and someone had mentioned regional variations so I went with that.  Sorry to extend the reach of mistaken information.

• Love 3

I like burlesque models and burlesque photography.   I want to like Dita Von Teese.  But the more you see/hear/say "Dita Von Teese," the more silly and pretentious it seems -- (wasn't Dita the name of the character in Madonna's "Sex" book too?).   I guess it's more racy than her real name (Heather) but it always sounds contrived.  The icing on the cake of course is that she married Marilyn Manson, so in my book that pretty much invalidates her personal taste, judgment, and common sense.

I think Heather Von Teese is a great name! 

I'm just going to say this once and for all. There is no "regional" accent in Italy which causes a person to end their words in a schwa any more or any less when speaking English than any other region (there are regional Italian languages, like Neapolitan, which uses schwa more often when speaking Italian/Neapolitan, though...). There are certain regions (Sicily, for example) which do not trill their r's in certain word positions, and this may make it slightly easier for them to mimic the non rhotic r of an English speaker. There are also certain areas (Tuscany) which pronounce /k/ as /h/ so they say "hoha hola" for "Coca Cola," etc. But other than that, the fact that the vast majority of Italian words end on vowels means that Italians across the board who are not very proficient in English will have this pronunciation characteristic. More simply, to those of you who know Italians who do not have this particular accent: it's because they speak English better than Chiara and have a better ear for pronunciation. It's not a regional accent; it's a question of proficiency. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the record, Chiara is from Cremona which is in Lombardia, the same region where Milan is. It's not a regional accent. It's just the fact that her English pronunciation--like many Italians--is just not that good. Hope I explained it a bit better!

Thanks very much for the informative reply. I honestly hadn't heard that particular speech pattern before, even among some of my husband's family.  Many of them are first or second generation Americans who came from Italy and learned Italian well before they learned English, so I had no idea it was common.  I really appreciate your explanation. Thank you!

• Love 1

I was fine with the result. I get that people think Kini should have won because he made Sean's shirt, but as has been said in other contexts, it's Top Designer, not Top Seamstress. If Sean designed the shirt and Kini just executed it, and the judges chose that look, then I think it's valid for Sean to win.

I have to disagree. If you're going to judge them when they construct garments poorly and praise them when they construct garments well then it isn't all about the design. If it were, then you could just have people make the garments for them. (I have heard rumors that they do.) Was that the premise with 24 Hour Garbage... something or other? That show was such a hot mess.

I thought everyone but Kini and Sean (and Amanda and Korina) were in the bottom. The judges didn't think Fade and his co-designer (Gawh, I don't even know her name) were for the same woman. They didn't like Fade's neckline but the judges seemed to reconsider Fade's work when they took a closer look at it.

This threw me off. I kept trying to figure out who the top two were because I thought they always picked a top two and bottom two to leave some suspense.

When Amanda was telling Fade about it, he seemed to be humoring her in a deeply sarcastic way.  I like him more and more.

God, I hope so. It's all well and good to be nice but I would hope that Fade would know better than to take Amanda seriously. Have you seen what the woman does with fringe?

The thing is, we all know what an Italian accent sounds like. But there was an "ah" ...and then for no logical reason, there wasn't! I was listening so hard for any pattern to that upturned vowel.... and then - just before I found a pattern - Bloggy-a McJudgerson-a's judging was done! Maybe she's a Navaho Code Talker.

Listen to here in a more natural habitat, and that arbitrarily-applied shwa isn't quite as present. 

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 2

The thing that sucks about focusing on only a few designers because of their "dramas" is that I still don't know anything about anybody else. Finally, Fade and Emily are getting a smidgen of attention. As far as Samantha is concerned this show doesn't seem to know she exists. I think she looks like Janeane Garofalo when she wears her glasses but that's probably just me. That's all I know. And this happen every season. Are the other contestants that boring in the producer's eyes?

People from the genoese region my nonna was from swallow their terminal vowels. Generalities about a country that was a lot of countries for most of history, and the dozens of dialects they speak there, tend not to be broadly accurate enough for anyone to have the last word about, once or for all :)

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

And so do Neapolitans. So do many other Italians; the linguistic richness of Italy is far too vast to explain every regional language, dialect or accent. But what might be true for your grandmother or an older generation of people who speak a regional language is most definitely not true for a girl in her 20s who is from outside Milan. Chiara speaks standard Italian with no traces of a very prominent regional accent, and what I am talking about is standard Italian. Punto e basta.

And yet... when speaking English, if you are an Italian speaker whose English is not so good with a bad ear for pronunciation, you will end your words on a vowel. This is simply a linguistic trait, just like Spanish speakers who are not so proficient in English won't be able to pronounce word initial s + vowel without saying es + vowel. Someone might be an Italian speaker who has an ear for pronunciation, and that is why they can, but obviously Chiara can't.

Edit: Dozens? Try hundreds of dialects (which aren't dialects at all!).

Italians from all over Italy have this trait. Stefano from Arezzo, Veronika , Gianni Pittella (he does it a LOT, and he is Acting President of the European Parliament!) from Basilicata and even Silvio Berlusconi.

Edited by outtosee
  • Love 2

I don't like Amanda much either, but whatever Korina said (which we didn't actually hear, did we?) to Amanda wasn't necessary.

I liked Char as person too & am sorry to see her go. Didn't care for her designs, but loved her Detroit attitude. Surprised she jumped in with Korina to gang up on Amanda.

Exactly, keep in mind that we really only heard Amanda's side of it. It's hard to believe that both Char and Korina spontaneously cracked at the same time and laid into Amanda without provocation.

• Love 1

Now see, that arbitrarily-applied shwa isn't quite as present here.

Interesting video. That is more what I'd expect -- the accent on the last word of a sentence or clause, rather than on every. single. word. I think Italian accents are glorious to listen to, but hers was annoying as heck.

The thing that sucks about focusing on only a few designers because of their "dramas" is that I still don't know anything about anybody else.

Have they always flashed the designers' names huge on screen like they did last night? I'm wondering if I'm so blind, oblivious, or busy doing something else while "watching" that I've missed it in the past, or if they realize that people are getting lost in the name of "drama" and they're trying to compensate.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 1

On the bright side, Nina didn't say vagina this episode! (That we could hear)

She could have, though. Amanda's fringe-again-but-not-quite-fringe-again dress was a few millimeters from flashing crotch. No one could sit in that dress. She's seriously one note.

Char, as much as I like her, needed to go home. Her range is still limited. She needs a bit more experience, but she's not the only contestant to fall into THAT category.

• Love 2

I have to say my mind wandered a bit in the direction of "sabotage?" when Amanda ever-so-helpfully made the pants for Korina's outfit --  and then they turned out to be nearly unwearable because Amanda didn't size them correctly. I'm pretty sure she knows that not all the models are the same size as hers, so why wouldn't she ask for Korina's model's measurements?

My mind wandered toward sabotage, too.  I mean, knowing the measurements of the person who is going to be wearing the garment seems like it ought to be Sewing 101.

Every model's head shot generally has their measurements printed right on it, everything from standard sizes, shoe sizes and the usual measurements regarding bust, waist, hips and so on. It will usually also include height and weight. I think it's a safe bet that the designers would have access to these, there's no real reason why they wouldn't aside from manufactured drama. Okay, maybe I just answered my question.

Standard seam allowance is 5/8" but can be adjusted larger or smaller for various reasons such as a client who gains or loses weight (like brides often do). Erring on the cautious side might give 1" allowance and they could be trimmed to remove excess bulk after final fitting. Obviously, I'm not a metric person--sorry.

I was just wondering; could it be that the now standard 1 day time allowance for the challenges could have anything to do with the producers wanting to save $ by shortening production times? I mean, fewer days at whatever hotel/apartment they've rented, fewer meals and all of that? Anyone know?

• Love 2

She could have, though. Amanda's fringe-again-but-not-quite-fringe-again dress was a few millimeters from flashing crotch. No one could sit in that dress. She's seriously one note.

Yeah, when Amanda said that she and her friends would wear that dress I thought where? to the gynocologist's office? seriously, you couldn't sit, couldn't bend, couldn't even do that knee bend women have to do when their skirt is too short to bend like normal, you'd have to avoid any kind of breeze. it's the most impractical dress imaginable. Now, I liked the texture she created, but the dress was a tunic top with no bottom.

Question, since I can't remember anything she actually designed last time she was on, did she do this much fringe that season too? Because damn girl, enough with the fringe. I get it is her "signature" but it's a rather silly one IMO.

• Love 3

It really says something about the quality (or lack thereof) of this show now that the discussion here is more focused on the Italian accent of a guest judge than anything else-a. ;)

Thanks for setting up this seque! Let's move on from discussion about her accent in the episode thread. There is now a Guest Judges thread for more discussion about any and all of our favorite and not so favorite guest judges over the years.

• Love 12

To be fair, "fringe" seems to be the rage right now.  Thank God (tell me this is true) that horrible hemline of long-in-back-short-in-front will go away?  It's the "mullet" of the twenty-teens.  Awful.

Btw, Mabinogia, "screenname, glws!"  Hwyl!

This threw me off. I kept trying to figure out who the top two were because I thought they always picked a top two and bottom two to leave some suspense.

That also threw me off. I guess everybody just had low scores except for Sean and Kini. So technically Emily and Fade's was the 2nd highest score, putting them in the "top," but the judges still didn't like it much. 

Thank God (tell me this is true) that horrible hemline of long-in-back-short-in-front will go away?  It's the "mullet" of the twenty-teens.  Awful.

Ugh, not a moment too soon. I guess it looks fine on some people, but trying to buy a dress right now is so irritating because so many have that stupid hemline. Which makes me (and a host of others, I imagine) look frumpy and weird. 

Isn't a parody of Goth just plain ole Goth?  Dita von Teese was a horrible judge.  First of all, she has no sense of style; she is simply  caricature of herself, and has literally had the exact same costume/"style" for 20 years.  If you took away the hair and the makeup and the dresses, Dita von Teese would be absolutely nothing.  That's because she wears a costume every day of her life.  Can we please stop encouraging grown women to dress like in is Halloween 24/7?  It is infantile.  

I was so disappointed in what the designers came up with for this.  It could have been incredible.  I was hoping that Sandhya would have done some really great dip-dying and made a dress out of that.  Korina clearly has a low skill set and is not willing to take any risks.  I know that Sandhya has done some odd stuff, but I like her because she is willing to take big risks.  That is what high fashion in all about.  If you take big risks, then of course you are bound to fail sometimes.  The designers who come on this show and never take a risk will never make it big in fashion.  Fashion trends start because some designer at one point decided to take a big risk.  

I think all the "top" designers should be in the bottom sometimes.  If they are never in the bottom, then to me that says that they are not taking enough risks.  

• Love 7

Have they always flashed the designers' names huge on screen like they did last night? I'm wondering if I'm so blind, oblivious, or busy doing something else while "watching" that I've missed it in the past, or if they realize that people are getting lost in the name of "drama" and they're trying to compensate.

They started it on Under the Gunn, and must have loved it so much they carried it over to the mothership.

I think the names on mine are blocked by the popups that take up 1/4 of the screen with "do you agree?"  "vote for..." etc. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time of keeping track of who's who until they get to a smaller group of designers.

I think the names on mine are blocked by the popups that take up 1/4 of the screen with "do you agree?"  "vote for..." etc. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time of keeping track of who's who until they get to a smaller group of designers.

This Social Media crap bugs me to no end.  If I want to know what other people think, I go to Previously TV, where  I get well thought out opinions and explanations instead of the gut reactions of teenagers with carpel tunnel. 

• Love 18

I don't blame Amanda for the ill fitting pants. Perhaps if Korina hadn't been such a jerk, Amanda would have wanted to put more effort into them. The kind of bullying that Korina (and it looked like Char too) were doing, is never going to look good on TV. Sometimes I wonder if people forget the cameras are there. Korina or Alexander should have gone home. I was shocked Korina's floppy collar made the cut. The ill fitting pants were the best part of that outfit. She should be kissing Amanda's ass for lifting her to the middle. And I don't love Amanda. I find her slightly annoying and her style is redundant.  I was bummed about Char. I wanted to see more of her stuff. Hopefully, Tim will Tim Gunn save her.

I had a friend who wore an Indian tunic and trousers that were the same bright yellow as Sandhya and Char's dresses, to her wedding and I thought it was really cool. My friend, who is not Indian, is a performance artist so she pretty much does what she wants. That being said, the construction on their dresses was pretty bad but those two have both made many interesting/ cool designs so far so I felt like they should have been given a pass. The burgundy and lace outfits were made better but the taste level was so bad and that I think is harder to improve. 

Edited by Soobs

I don't think the yellow was the real issue with Sandhya and Char's dresses. Yellow can be done beautifully and look stunning (I'm surprised Sandhya didn't go more with an Indian tunic concept but maybe she thought that was too obvious coming from her) but those dresses they made would not have looked good in any color. Sadhya's was just a total miss, though I appreciate that she tries things and Char's was just a hot mess. It looked like it was held together with staples and drawstrings. No color on Earth could have saved her, so she was the right one to go IMO. But she has been a disappointment to me since the first ep after being one of my top three on the Road to the Runway show (if that's what they still call it). I really can't think of a dress that had worse construction and design combined than Chars. But there was a lot of crap to choose from this go round.

But points to the show for tying Dita to this challenge better than they tied Red Robin to that ugly suit challenge. At least she did wear an unconventional (but STUNNING) wedding dress.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Char had to choose the same fabric as Sandhya. Or why any of these teams thought they had to come up with matching dresses. Or did I miss that part of the challenge? I thought they only had to look like the same woman would wear both dresses. A woman who would wear an eyeball-searing yellow dress to her wedding is a woman who is looking for attention. And who is looking for a second "wow" moment when she makes her entrance at the reception. Char should've chosen a different but equally impactful color.

What amazes me is that they found 3 or 4 different textiles in that exact same shade of yellow. Mood must be huuuuuge.

I can't say I'm sorry to see Char go. She  was very likeable but her designs started at "pretty good" and only went downhill from there. And once I found out she and Korina were buddies, The likeability went out the window.

I enjoy the fact that Swatch doesn't move a muscle when they walk in and out of the place. Everyone has to step over and around him.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 5

My mind wandered toward sabotage, too.  I mean, knowing the measurements of the person who is going to be wearing the garment seems like it ought to be Sewing 101.

This is how I would sabotage Korina: steal her hat.    The hat is the source of her being.    Get the hat away from her, hide it, throw it down the high-rise trash chute, whatever -- she'd be toast.

ETA: I think the last time a hat annoyed me so much, it was attached to a kid named Carl.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

On rewatching, I noticed a few things.  One, Sean mentioned tuxedo pants in the planning phase right at the start, so although Tim may have furthered it, he didn't give them the idea.  Also, Samantha had a TH in which she talked about how Korina brings down all her roommates, and she believed that Korina was trying to tear down Amanda's self-confidence as she had the others'.  I don't remember Samantha for critical, snarky commentary, so I feel inclined to believe her.  And finally, Nina emphatically praised Sean's execution, making it seem that that specifically was the reason for passing over Kini for the win and giving it to Sean.  It should have gone to Kini.  He's a little full of himself, but that doesn't mean he isn't good.

• Love 4

This Social Media crap bugs me to no end.  If I want to know what other people think, I go to Previously TV, where  I get well thought out opinions and explanations instead of the gut reactions of teenagers with carpel tunnel. 

I know!  I might even go to their website, Facebook, or whatever to see poll results but can't they just put a very small scrolling type message at the bottom of the screen to go ___here (i.e. their website)___ if you want to see what others voted for?  I don't even know how people vote when so much of the screen is covered by that social media messaging.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Char had to choose the same fabric as Sandhya. Or why any of these teams thought they had to come up with matching dresses. Or did I miss that part of the challenge? I thought they only had to look like the same woman would wear both dresses. A woman who would wear an eyeball-searing yellow dress to her wedding is a woman who is looking for attention. And who is looking for a second "wow" moment when she makes her entrance at the reception. Char should've chosen a different but equally impactful color.

<snipped for space>

I enjoy the fact that Swatch doesn't move a muscle when they walk in and out of the place. Everyone has to step over and around him.

I didn't get the matching so much thing either.  Though in the case of Char/Sandhya's I suppose maybe the second "wow" moment could be when everyone got a clear view of the bride's butt as she walked and danced? They really could have done that in any color, though.

haha good point about Swatch, that is really cute that he's like "nope... go around!"

• Love 3

Re: the yellow.  I can't remember who said it, but one of the judges said that the yellow would have worked if the design had just been simple.  And I think thats true.  My skin is darker toned, and I love wearing the color yellow, I think even that shade of yellow (maybe a tad darker) because it pops against my skin.  But, in mentally reviewing my closet, all of my yellow dresses are very simple.  I think the dresses would have been better if they weren't as complex.  Chars had lace over leather and then the strips of cloth for the skirt, it was too much.  Shandaya's was the same thing, it was a simple top covered in this elaborate yellow handwork, and then the bottom looked elaborate too.  I think if the designs had been more simple, and the dresses executed to perfection the yellow might have worked.  Of course, since they have such limited time, I think perfect execution is really difficult.  I think people like Kini, Chris March and Daniel are rarities.

• Love 1

I offer this in the category of Worlds Collide. . .

So tonight I'm reading Gandhi's autobiography, and suddenly there is the word "sandhya," translated first as "daily worship" and then later as "daily ritual."

In German, "zu" means "to" and "grau" means "gray" so I figured that Fade zu Grau translated to "fade to gray" - which works well with his design this episode.  This above post prompted me to see if "Fade" is a German word too - it is.  Fade means bland, insipid, dull, tasteless, flat, vapid, stuffy, characterless....

In my head, I will keep thinking of him as Fade to Gray - mostly because it fits better, but also, the umlaut (the two little dots above the A) might change the word/meaning, and because he pronounces it as fayd, and f-a-d-e should be pronounced more like fah-day in german.

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 3

Here's something to think about:  Corina doesn't try to hide that she is a bitch.  She owns it.  She is consistent with it.  So I have no problem with her telling Amanda that she is fake.  In my mind, she IS fake.  Admittedly, I don't particularly like Amanada, cuz, well, I think she's fake.  And her reaction to Corina  showed no personal reflection on how she was acting.  Although she did seem a bit better this epi so there is that. Personally, I agree with others who said that Amanda intentionally cut the pants too small.  This is a classic passive-aggressive move - making it look like you're helping, but that "help" is actually sabotage. I don't mind Corina mainly because I think she is being her true bitchy self.  Not that I like her, but she doesn't irritate me as much as others.   

As far as Sandya goes, I am pretty much over her.  I much rather see her go than Corina.  Sandya is determined to get her way.  I am sorry that Char gave in and that she didn't choose a coordinating, less offensive color.  I haven't seen the Sandya love for a few epis and I am glad.  I wish Char stayed and she went home instead.  The top of her dress looked like second graders who just learned to crochet made it.  It was uneven and poorly made IMHO.  Yes, Char's was bad and Sandya "won" 2 challenges, but I am disliking Sandya more and more - her pushy my-ideas-are-always-right attitude under the guise of being an empowered woman is just a cover -- yes a cover for her manipulation.

Jeez, I guess my suspicious nature about people's real attitudes are showing.

• Love 4

As far as Sandya goes, I am pretty much over her.  I much rather see her go than Corina.  Sandya is determined to get her way.  I am sorry that Char gave in and that she didn't choose a coordinating, less offensive color. 

Char didn't "give in" she's the one who said citrus & was excited about it, she was all for that color yellow.

• Love 1