Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Rock the Wedding

• Start Topic

Regarding Char, I will have to watch again, but I didn't see any catty participation on her part.  Giving one honest opinion about someone doesn't equate to being catty.  Smiling to someone's face while backstabbing them, making condescending remarks, or recruiting other girls to gang up on a person - THAT is catty.  Char always seemed gracious and pleasant to me.  Perhaps the fact that she didn't participate in the drama was what put her at a disadvantage.  And yeah, her execution wasn't great on the yellow dress, but she seemed pretty skilled with her other designs.  They just didn't stand out because dresses with fringe and gawdy embellishments were stealing the show.    

• Love 2
Both dresses were awful, but Sandhya has no blame whatever in Char's horrible look. It was all Char.

ITA.  Didn't Char also suggest the leather and then not know how to work with it?  That it would be stiff and make pointy breasts?  I thought that was odd, too.

Add me to list of viewers who don't like Tim's tattletaling to the judges.  Everything time he starts to say, "I TOLD them...." he should check himself--it's really not fair to the designers. 

I did not like Kini's at all.  It looked complete cliched and dated to me.  The only reason I'm not more disappointed at their team's CLEAR win, hee, was because everything else was dreck.  I would have given the win to Fade, though.  Emily's was okay except for the sleeves which put it squarely in costume territory.

They really needed more time.  This could have been a fun challenge.  Instead it turned into another, "Make a garment of your choice, but make it unusual, daring, etc, and impeccably made in 10 hours", leading to ANOTHER terrible runway show.  The guest judges were beyond useless and had nothing to say except, "I would/wouldn't wear that." 

• Love 1

I agree with many of the posters in saying that Kini was robbed, especially knowing that he sewed Sean's top. I know this isn't top seamstress, but construction ability is important... otherwise the designers should just be bringing out their sketch books and saying " I know my outfit is a mess and falling apart, but this is what it was supposed to look like!!" Why even sew at all...

I think even without Kini having done the top, his outfit fit the challenge better and should have been the winner, so add in that he did a lot of the work for his partner, it does really sting. I wonder if Tim wasn't aware that Kini did most of the sewing on the shirt? that's the exact sort of thing that he should be bringing to the attention of the judges. I think this was all just drama driven though, it's more 'surprising' if they give the win to Sean, which is sort of what they've been doing all season.... and why in 6 episodes, we've only had 3 winners.

I'm okay with Char going home... but any of the 4 bottom looks would have been fine with me. they all sucked. Amanda and korina's stuff was boring as well. Amanda's dress was that same A-line/trapeze sort of thing without much shape. and that suit was boring.  

I did like Fade's dress.... and though the gothic wedding dress was a little OTT I didn't hate it.

• Love 1
I am starting to get suspicious of Kini's speedy sewing skills and design. I am wondering if he's just making things he's made before, and somehow the judges are picking up on that too.

Is it wrong for them to create outfits that they've made before?   I know they sometimes try things they've never done before and spend lots of time telling us that it's the first time they pants or menswear or wedding dresses.  But I always assume that they're making things they've made before during some or most of the competition.

Hey, what was up with Tim making the suggestion for a cummerbund belt to Sean? I thought he wasn't suppose to make recommendations other then "make it work" and he's concerned about "taste and tailoring".

I thought what happened was Sean was describing his intentions for his look, and Tim said or asked something like, "Oh, like at a cummberund height?" for the waist, as though he were trying to clarify what Sean meant.  That was not what Sean had meant, though, but he and Kini took it as a great idea. 

So I don't think Tim intended to give them an idea, but it ended up that way.

Tim has given the designers plenty of suggestions in the past, though.  He's told them to take off sleeves, or to make dresses shorter or longer, he's told them when they need to edit because there are too many embellishments, etc. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1

I don't know if Korina (and Char? really?) said what Amanda told Fade, since none of it was on film, but I am leaning towards the it-is-probably-true side.  I think if Amanda were making it up, the producers would have found someone to let viewers know - it would be more drama!  Unless Amanda really is the show's untouchable darling or if she has the producers duped too.  Okay, so now I am not so sure Amanda was telling the truth. 

In any case, if Korina really said "When you win, you take the win from someone else,"  Amanda should have told her, "Well, when someone loses they take the loss away from you." 

Sean should have said, "I designed and cut the blouse and pants, and Kini sewed the blouse." However, Sean seems like a nice guy (Kini snarks more in the THs than Sean) so I will give Sean the benfit of the doubt and say that he may not have pointed out that Kini sewed the blouse because he was confident that Kini would be the winner of the two of them. I can understand not wanting the judges to know that your time management wasn't good. 

Besides, when they have the finale and past contestants come back to help the finalists, no one seems to care who sewed what - it is all about the design.  Furthermore, I don't know enough about sewing to know if Sean's shirt design was complicated to sew or not, but, if it was easy to sew then Kini not getting credit is really not such a big deal.  You should help your partner finish in group challenges because you don't want your partner's unfinished look to put you from being in the bottom.  Especially when your partner has immunity, as Sean did this time - If Kini hadn't sewed and Sean would have sent a topless model down the runway (or a model wearing half-finished pants and a half-finished blouse) an your team ends up in the bottom, Kini could be the one going home.     

Still, I think Kini was robbed because his dress looked better than Sean's blouse and pants. 

I am confused. Did Char not say when they were first designing that she wanted yellow? Then Sandhya said "citrus?" and Char agreed and wanted leather too. Unless there was a fabric dispute (I experienced a blackout when the show aired), wasn't Char totally on board for the color and fabric pick?

I thought Char agreed with yellow, but she was thinking of a more subdued yellow.

Sandhya's yellow choice was a bit too bright.

• Love 2

I was one of the people happy to see Amanda back. Still am. But clearly tonight Fade's following probably grew 5000%. That man is so charming and sweet. I hope he goes far in the competition. His comments to Amanda when she was venting were so cool and supportive. I wish everyone had friends like him.

Kini I believe is the front runner and one to beat at this point. He is consistently good. The other designers have good and bad weeks. I have yet to see Kini struggle with anything.

The key on the talking heads I catch sometimes is clothing. The yellow sweater Amanda is wearing in next weeks show is one she has worn for several talking heads in previous weeks. If you see the designer in a talking head wearing something you haven't seen them wear on the show in yet, then there's a good chance that designer is around longer. Now that is the one outfit of Amanda's talking heads that I had not seen until the preview for next week. Could mean Amanda is out next week.

• Love 1

Okay, okay, I'll concede the BRIGHT yellow was Sandhya's choice, but Sandhya also said, citrus shades or something to that effect. Char didn't have to choose the same BRIGHT yellow. She could have gone with a more buttery tone and said, well it would have looked so flattering in the candlelight at the reception, or whatever. I don't know why they all thought they had to use the same exact fabrics for both the wedding and the reception looks.

Everyone except Fade and Emily: Fade used a portion of her idea, but made it his own with the painting and they were in the top.

Also, WTH, Heidi? Why does EVERYTHING have to be sexier? Good grief; not everyone wants their cleavage and full thighs exposed to the public constantly. And, here's a novel idea: sexy doesn't always mean you have to have all your skin showing. Sometimes, it's an attitude.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 9
Still, I think Kini was robbed because his dress looked better than Sean's blouse and pants.

I honestly thought Sean's pants were barely passable.  They looked lumpy and bumpy around the midriff, and were already all wrinkled around at the thighs.  They looked far from effortless in any sense of the word, except they were black pants which generally are effortless to wear.  I did not at all see what the judges thought was so great about them as they didn't even fit perfectly or look impeccable, and the design is nothing special either.

As for the blouse-cape, I can imagine that would get super annoying every time she sits down and sits on the bottom of the cape.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 3

Yep, the yellow was Sandyha's choice -- that vibrant, neon-French's-mustard colour.  Char expressed reservations and then observed, "Sometimes you have to take risks at this level [in the competition]."

ETA:  I thought the yellow debacle was more than worthy to send one of them packing.  I had no qualms with the choice.  That doesn't mean I don't like Char.  It means that she's been in the middle the entire time, she has average talents compared to the rest of the group and her dress did not come close to meeting any standard I could come up with.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

God, I hate Amanda.  She just comes off as so smug and superior-acting.  I also rolled my eyes hard at "I can't make something not weird."  Um... Amanda is probably somewhere in the middle with respect to "weirdness" of design on this show.  The way she said it, she just seemed so proud of herself for being so "cool" and "edgy," when really her looks are not all that unconventional.  HATE.

I had no problem with Char going over Sandya, though I was sad to see her go.  I thought Sandy had an execution problem more than an idea problem.  I can see that dress being quite beautiful if the draping and seaming had been better.  On the other hand, I still don't even know what Char was trying to accomplish.

• Love 3

How in the frakking hell does Alexander keep winning fan favourite? I mean, I know, he looks like a Peanuts character, but I'd only go along with that if he was being trailed around by a cloud of dirt.

He probably said he'd give it to charity if he won Fan Fave. Elena did the same thing during season 11 and won. 

• Love 2

No kidding!  I was having a really hard time understanding her until I realized what she was doing.  Once I realized how to mentally edit everything she said, I was at least able to understand her a little bit better.  It still drove me nuts though.  Edited to add: yes, I know she's not a native English speaker but I've known plenty of non-native English speakers, many of them Italian in fact, and I've never heard anyone else do that before.  I can see "ah" or "uh" when she's trying to think of the right word, but she was just slapping it on the end of every word.

I'm not sure if it is something from the way she learned to speak English or just that many foreign languages have so many words that end in vowels that they're just used to that kind of sound. We had a Russian guide for a tour of St. Petersburg and she did the same thing. We spent 2 whole days with this woman. She was kind, and fun and extremely knowledgeable, but that sound got really annoying and none of us will ever forget it. Just think of how well you would do trying to discuss fashion in another language, and cut this woman some slack.

• Love 5

I don't mind the idea of the team challenges, but what I do mind is how a team has to win or lose together.  That's so stupid.  If somebody's is the worst design, somebody's is the worst design, separate them from the team.

I guess the whole point is how well you work within a team.  Well I personally don't care about that.  I just want the drama of working with someone else (LOL) but in the end be judged alone.  That is my perfect world Project Runway.  At least it's more honest.  They say it's a 'team challenge' but rarely do the 2 people actually work together to create 2 outfits together. It's usually that they completely separate, do 2 separate outfits, and then blame the other when something goes wrong.  The only thing that ends up being 'coordinated' is colour and theme choice which is decided at Mood.  So I guess the whole format is flawed.

I really like Sandhya -- I like her designs almost every week, and thought she should have won last week.  I'm glad she didn't go and I loved her blunt assessment of Korina.  To paraphrase, "She came on this show thinking she's better than everyone else and acted that way, and now she's struggling because she sucks."  LOL  could not be more spot on.  That suit jacket was horrid and I love white blazers!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

God, I hate Amanda.  She just comes off as so smug and superior-acting.  I also rolled my eyes hard at "I can't make something not weird."  Um... Amanda is probably somewhere in the middle with respect to "weirdness" of design on this show.  The way she said it, she just seemed so proud of herself for being so "cool" and "edgy," when really her looks are not all that unconventional.  HATE.

I thought Amanda was just reacting to Korina's bitchy comment that she, Korina, won't make something weird to satisfy the judges, implying that Amanda's styles were weird.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 1

Regarding Char, I will have to watch again, but I didn't see any catty participation on her part.  Giving one honest opinion about someone doesn't equate to being catty.  Smiling to someone's face while backstabbing them, making condescending remarks, or recruiting other girls to gang up on a person - THAT is catty.  Char always seemed gracious and pleasant to me.  Perhaps the fact that she didn't participate in the drama was what put her at a disadvantage.  And yeah, her execution wasn't great on the yellow dress, but she seemed pretty skilled with her other designs.  They just didn't stand out because dresses with fringe and gawdy embellishments were stealing the show.    

I went back and watched again. Char was catty. Of course, she's not the only one, but what she did last night was mean. Prior to that I liked her personality, too, but not so much her designs. I'm also not entirely sure that all of these backstabbing moments aren't scripted. This show has sunk pretty low.

So, Amanda, you say you had a kind of rock-and-roll wedding?

Your brother is a rock star.  You aren't.  I know that must be tough but please move on.

Funny, when I think "Blonde Salad", I think Elisabeth Hasslebeck.

And Tim, with all your telling tales out of school at judging, why didn't you mention that Kini sewed Sean's blouse, huh?

Maybe Tim didn't know Kini sewed it? 

I thought Amanda was just reacting to Korina's bitchy comment that she, Korina, won't make something weird to satisfy the judges, implying that Amanda's styles were weird.

Yes, I agree.  Korina was being a bitch, and Amanda responded in a fairly gracious way considering she could have been super dramatic about what Korina said.

• Love 5

I went back and watched again. Char was catty. Of course, she's not the only one, but what she did last night was mean.

Yep... she mocked Amanda like a child playing copycat to bully another kid on the playground. I had my doubts about the off-camera comments until they showed her doing that, and Korina smirking back at her. Char, just because you own up to it doesn't make it OK to be ugly like that. Leave that crap to Korina, because she seems to be an expert.

Regarding the designs, I was lukewarm on all of them except Kini's, and wishing Chris March, Christian Siriano, or Seth Aaron was around to show these people how it's done.

• Love 7

1. Yes, Kini was robbed.

2. I like Amanda.  So sue me. 

3. I looked up "passive-aggressive bitch" in the dictionary and, lo and behold, there was Korina's picture!  Calling someone names out of the blue, then refusing to discuss it, is not "clearing the air," it's a cowardly way to insult them and avoid any consequences. Disgusting behavior. 

4. Dita Von Tees is not sexy.  Not attractive.  Not interesting.  Mean Girls are a dime a dozen, there's nothing cutting edge about being a mean girl.  Hell, I could go out on the streets of Brooklyn and grab one at random and she'd be more clever and more stylish.

5. If you're going to use ELECTRIC YELLOW!!, at least break it up with another color.  Some black, some grey, some white.  SOMETHING. 

6. This group seems a lot less talented than in previous seasons.  But a lot of it could be the stupid 1-day challenges.  Have the budgets been cut that much?  Do they do the whole series in 2 weeks now?  Whatever happened to 2 days for a challenge?

• Love 12

I can't blame Sean too much for what happened. I mean, it's a competition. It's not HIS job to go campaigning for other people/teams to win (that would be a very weird competition - one that relied on competitors to successfully and persuasively campaign for their own loss in order to ensure the proper outcome happened). It his job to play by the rules, and trust the judges/producers to design a competition where the best effort will win (and the best effort will be easily and fairly discernible to the judges based on the parameters of the challenge). This is why the team challenges are sooooo dumb. It's not in the rules that each person has to design one look and not touch the other look. This means everything could be such an mismash of collective effort that it is impossible to discern who made what.

The judges should be in the room for the team challenges to WATCH who made what, if the rules aren't going to make it apparent to them based on what walks down the runway. They are relying exclusively on the self report of the *competitors* to determine who put forth an effort deserving of a win????? What competition does that??? That's like hiring a ref, having him leave the field while the teams play, and then having him come back and ask the teams to report on who fouled who, so he can dole out penalties. If they had them each design their own look and made a rule that other people cannot have their hands on it, it's about who is the best designer under those consistent conditions. Heck, Sean already did what many would say was "stupid" from a competition perspective - he argued for someone else to beat him. It's a competition - why is it his obligation to help someone else win or convince the judges someone else should win? If a judge ever asked me that, I would say "you are the judges of this competition, I would say you should decide." I can't fault him for not presenting the exact argument as to why he should lose that we wished he would have presented. Yes, most people wanted to see Kini win. I did too. But they also gave Kini a chance to talk - it was on him to say it. He is playing the game and he had the chance to try to win by explaining what he did. The judges would have said, "oh really? Is that right Sean?" And Sean would have said "yep", and Kini would have won. Kini did not take the opportunity freely and equally offered to him to compete, so if it's on either of the contestants, it's on him. But really, it's mostly on the judges and producers. It is their job to design a reasonable and fair competition where the best effort can be reasonably and fairly discerned without relying exclusively on the self report of the competitors themselves. Do they think we like watching these dumb team things???

Edited by TVSallyS
  • Love 3

1. Yes, Kini was robbed.

2. I like Amanda.  So sue me. 

3. I looked up "passive-aggressive bitch" in the dictionary and, lo and behold, there was Korina's picture!  Calling someone names out of the blue, then refusing to discuss it, is not "clearing the air," it's a cowardly way to insult them and avoid any consequences. Disgusting behavior. 

4. Dita Von Tees is not sexy.  Not attractive.  Not interesting.  Mean Girls are a dime a dozen, there's nothing cutting edge about being a mean girl.  Hell, I could go out on the streets of Brooklyn and grab one at random and she'd be more clever and more stylish.

5. If you're going to use ELECTRIC YELLOW!!, at least break it up with another color.  Some black, some grey, some white.  SOMETHING. 

6. This group seems a lot less talented than in previous seasons.  But a lot of it could be the stupid 1-day challenges.  Have the budgets been cut that much?  Do they do the whole series in 2 weeks now?  Whatever happened to 2 days for a challenge?

I agree with this entire post.  

I, too, like Amanda.  I liked her in her original season as well.  I've seen nothing from her that screams "phony".  I understand being upset that someone who you had been getting along with fairly well all of a sudden says, "Oh, yeah, I've been meaning to tell you this--I think you're a big, fat phony."   I mean, Korina is a giant asshole and totally believe she said it even if the cameras didn't catch it.

• Love 5

Ugh, this show!  I've gotten to the point of only watching snippets and fast-forwarding to the runway show.  (I usually go back and watch the entire episode, but last night I just deleted the damn thing after the mini-watch.)

Last week I said i didn't mind Kini being the runner-up, since i think that's where he's belonged (if not lower for his uninspired red carpet dress), but I really enjoyed his design.  i\It had great proportions and a little unexpectedness.  But why couldn't it have been a happy color?  it had to be black to go with Sean's pants?  This relying on the same color scheme for both dresses is crazy.  Wouldn't/Couldn't the "same girl" like and wear different colors?  Or maybe something with print?

Of course, that's a risk, because print can be good or bad.  I guess much like the lace Alexander and Samantha used.  While at Mood, I was excited about the oxblood lace.  But for God's sake, why couldn't thy have lined it?  Or used it as an accent?  Adding applicques and feathers to the naked lace was acky-tacky.

While I like(d) Char (didn't see in the mean girl edit in my quickie watch), I haven't been wowed by her designs, other than the initial challenge.  She definitely had the worst dress last night, both design-wise and execution.

Not winning a challenge yet isn't a bad thing.  I didn't watch the first season, but Dmitri didn't win any challenges until late in the game.

Not winning a challenge yet isn't a bad thing.  I didn't watch the first season, but Dmitri didn't win any challenges until late in the game.

I hope this is what they're doing (deliberately) with Fade, because it's becoming increasingly obvious they keep sidelining some great work from Fade while over-praising absolute shite.  Tonight felt like the first time they really started singling out Fade, and notice they did it when there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell his team would win.

YIKES.  When will the Betty Page thing finally die?  I'm so tired of seeing them on various reality shows.  There was an extra annoying one on Top Chef recently.  Pack up your red matte lipstick, '40's hair and Rosie the Riveter head rags and retire already.

Ohmigod, I love this comment.  I can instantly think of a million other examples, like from Food Network Star, Worst Cooks in America, etc.  It's like there's a long line somewhere in a reality show casting office made up entirely of retro-hipster Betty Page clones.  "BPAGE Model #TH4199  prepare for deployment!"

• Love 8

I for one didn't feel too badly that Kini didn't win the challenge.  To me the real winner should have been Fade.  Kinni did most of the work on his team and liked his dress than Sean's overrated pants, but I also felt that Kini's dress was a little too derivative for me, bordering on copycat.  Change the color and that dress could have been taken right out of Leanne Marshall's Spring 2013 or Bridal Signature collections.

• Love 2

Oh, and someone tell Zac Posen that Corpse Bride is a great movie!

I thought Emily's gown, with the "hood" down, was great.  With the hood up, yeah, it was very funereal.

• Love 2

As a "goth chick", I was expecting to like Dita Von Teese. However, she came off arrogant and bitchy with that smug, constipated look on her face every time she was on-screen. And did she really insult teenage goth chicks? The very demographic responsible for her ex-husband's fame? I absolutely LOVED Emily's dress. No, I didn't wear anything like that to MY wedding, but I have worn similar things to other peoples' weddings, and also out at the goth clubs on weekends, and I am far from fifteen. 

Judging from the little I know of her divorce, I doubt Dita has any interest in being gracious to her ex's fan base.

Don't want to get too far afield here, but WTF with her as a judge on TC Masters? I can accept that she's the self-appointed Queen of Avant Garde clothing stuff (although Gaga would cut a bitch), but food? Did they have to include organ meats and/or actual blood in whatever they cooked?

Reality teevee clearly is scraping the bottom for guest judges...

I believe it was an "aphrodisiac" challenge, and she was supposed to represent someone knowledgeable about sexual responses. And this concludes the "Ketzel Is An Expert On Dita Von Teese" portion of my postings. :-D

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 6

What the holy hell was up with that guest judge (the blogger lady) and here putting an "-ah" on the end of every damn word???

It's called a strong Italian accent! I found it annoying too, but trust me when I say this: I am Italian (with the passport to prove it!) and this is a very common trait of Italian accents. Most of our words end on vowels, and English can be difficult to pronounce for this reason. Many Italians can speak English very well but the vast majority do not and they speak just like Chiara; Italy is not a country with a high level of English speaking citizens. Remember that Chiara is Italian, living in Italy, and probably started to speak English later in life. That said, I dislike her anyway! :D

Just look at Matteo Renzi speaking English, current Prime Minister of Italy. He has the same exact accent.

Edited by outtosee
  • Love 6

To clarify the "whose fault is the yellow?" issue, during sketch time, Char said, " I was thinking yellow." Sandhya then said, "Like citrus." Then at Mood Sandhya pulled a bunch of bright yellow fabrics. I don't remember if Char said anything to Sandhya at the time about the soft buttery yellow she wanted or if she just said that in her interview, but Char did say that she didn't speak up more and that sometimes you have to take a risk.

I agree that the matchy matchiness that all of the teams used was weird. You don't need the exact same color and fabric to make two looks cohesive. And to be honest, aside from black or white, how many brides who have separate reception dresses use the same color for both? I think Char could have used a softer shade of yellow without any issue. It still would have looked like it went with Sandhya's bright yellow dress. It would have been cool if one of the teams had chosen blue or purple and used different shades for the two dresses (one that was bright and one that was more subdued/lighter).

As for the Italian blogger's accent, I had no issue with it because I work with a lot of people from all over the world and I had no problem understanding what she was saying. As someone else explained upthread, most Italian words end with vowels which is why so many native speakers add a vowel sound to the end of English words that don't have a vowel at the end. I don't think it's any weirder than when people who speak Spanish add "es" in front of words that start with an S (especial instead if special, for example) because that's what they're used to in their native language. I admire anyone who is fluent in more than one language. And hey, at least that Italian blogger wasn't saying things like "Patricia and I's collection" (ALEXANDER) or "between she and I" which puts her English as better than most native English speakers on reality tv (shows like The Bachelor make me want to take a red pen to my tv screen - I wish I had the ability to send all these people who have no grasp of object pronouns back to sixth grade to diagram sentences and learn basic grammar rules).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9

Yep, the yellow was Sandyha's choice -- that vibrant, neon-French's-mustard colour. Char expressed reservations and then observed, "Sometimes you have to take risks at this level [in the competition."

Thank you for mentioning this. I think it also had to do with Char realizing that Sandhya is headstrong and it wasn't worth her mentioning that she thought they should go with more subdued yellow. Char assumed that she could make it work.

• Love 2

When Korina was frustrated because the pants Amanda sewed were too small for Korina's model, prompting Korina to say that she should have made the pattern herself, I thought YES, you should have since they're supposed to be YOUR pants.

Definitely agree, but, by the same token, I think Amanda should've checked the measurements of the model who was going to be wearing those pants.  Of course, Korina could've told her, too.  I think they're both at fault for the failure of those pants.

I couldn't believe they weren't in the bottom.  I didn't love Samantha's or Alexander's designs, but they were a heck of a lot better than Amanda's and Korina's.  Yes, bad '80s flashback for Korina's and, honestly, bad '60s flashback for Amanda's.  She thinks she's Rock, but she's really just fake hippie.

When Nina and Heidi were going back and forth over who should win, Sean or Kini, didn't Nina remark, with extreme admiration in her voice, on the execution of Sean's design as putting him one up on Kini?  She didn't specify pants, or top, or both, but whichever way, considering his design, his design's execution, and Sean's top's execution, I think Kini was robbed.  And, yep, I agree, Sean really didn't want it getting said that Kini executed his top.

• Love 1

I have to say my mind wandered a bit in the direction of "sabotage?" when Amanda ever-so-helpfully made the pants for Korina's outfit --  and then they turned out to be nearly unwearable because Amanda didn't size them correctly. I'm pretty sure she knows that not all the models are the same size as hers, so why wouldn't she ask for Korina's model's measurements?

• Love 2

I think you finally pinpointed what I don't like about Amanda. I honestly couldn't figure out exactly what it was about her but yeah, it's this idea that she thinks she's far more unique than she is, and has to point it out constantly. "Hey, look at me, I'm so cool. I use quaint phrases and design cool hippy shit that no one else would ever think of doing because I'm soooo cool and hip but I'd never say it, because I'm also so humble and well, I rock!" I totally see the phony because she acts all dorky (but in a cool way because she's dorky but cool) but it just doesn't feel remotely genuine.

Regarding the challenge. WTF was that? Wedding dress challenge, but don't make it like a regular wedding dress, so now it's just a dress challenge. But make a reception dress, so now it's a fancy dress with a matching cocktail dress? But don't make it so out there that a bride wouldn't wear it. No, seriously, WTF was this challenge?

I personally loved Emily's dress. I kind of loved that it was a wedding dress that looked like a mysterious woman at a funeral. (For any Pretty Little Liar's fans, I could totally see A wearing that to the funeral of the week lol).

Fade's dress. I would quite possibly kill for that dress (provided I didn't get caught since I probably wouldn't be able to wear it in jail) but seriously, I would scrape up all my money to buy that dress if he ever mass produced it (by mid October. I've got a wedding to go to and want that dress!!!!!) I've wanted every outfit he has done so far, but this one is by far my favorite. And it was so nice to actually spend some time with him. I would watch an hour of Fade with some of the other designers guest staring for little pep-talks, then a runway show and kick one of the others off.

I did like the winning look, and Kini's outfit but the rest was dreck. OMG the yellow! OMG the fungus dress! I can't unsee those things, ever. *I need to go look for a slideshow of Fade's designs aka, my happy place.*

Dita has become a parody of herself. I used to really like her but I'm not entirely convinced she isn't one of Disney's audio animatronic figures who broke loose from the park.

Loved the other one's accent. Sure she said -eh at the end of everything-eh, but I kind of liked it-eh.

PS: I'm about 99.8% certain that Korina and Amanda's buttons were NOT in that bag so they would be the last two "picked" and would be paired together. This is not my first reality show.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 7

I actually didn't think Fade's dress was that great. It was fine, and I don't dislike it, but I didn't think it was anything special. It looked like a dress I could find at Express. And don't get me wrong, I love me some Express, but I just found it sort of normal looking. Maybe if I saw it more up close to better see what he did to the fabric I'd be more into it...

And the person above who said Dita has become a parody of herself is sooo right! She's so annoying now. I agreed with some of her comments last night, but I really hate how she just thinks she's SO amazing. Ugh

• Love 6

Dear Lord:

Who is Amanda blowing to keep her place on this show.  I dislike her more than I disliked Gretchen.  She has an obnoxious personality and a restricted POV.

Nina questions someones taste level?  I question Nina's relevance.

Dita's face was frozen and she was not pleasant.

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 1

Here at work we have Italians from North and Central Italy. To my ear they have similar rhythms in their English speech, but more varying accents. One of the  Northerners sounds very much like the Blond Salad -- but none of the others do. Maybe due to strong and differing regional dialects?

Edited by ShaggyDog
  • Love 3

I used to visit an office in Milan pretty regularly and her accent sounded exactly like some of the people I worked with there. Others, equally Italian, did not have that quirk. I'm wondering if it's a regional thing or maybe the product of some school's English program?

I always give people huge respect for learning English as a second language becausewflaked this bitch is hard (see some of the comments above!) and if I had to do it, I wouldn't have made it past the stage of dog, cat, and beer as my total vocabulary

Well, really what more than a cat, a dog and a beer could you possibly want? Throw in money and a few cuss words and I think you're all set! :)

Somebody needs to tell Giada DeLaurentis that there's a pretty Italian woman who actually has a more memorable Italian accent. *boom* goes LBH.

Amanda and Korinna can take their little special snowflake competition back to kindergarten, where it belongs. Maybe Helen of Cry has a seat saved for them at lunch.

When will the Betty Page thing finally die?  I'm so tired of seeing them on various reality shows.  There was an extra annoying one on Top Chef recently.  Pack up your red matte lipstick, '40's hair and Rosie the Riveter head rags and retire already.

Can't die soon enough. Perhaps reading a bit of literature based on the phoniness and repression in the 50s should be mandatory before you're allowed your first head rag. It wasn't exactly a fun time for a lot of people, no matter how ironic you think you're being, Dita.

Sean, good lord, have the cajones to credit Kini with the shirt. You suck.

There are still too many people. Too many brunettes I can't keep straight and a few stray dudes I never remember. It's almost starting to feel like MasterChef, where I wish they'd just get to the final five or so already. If I had Tivo or something, I'd be tempted to wait until the season was over and then just watch the last few episodes, but I'm at the mercy of Comcraptastic "On Demand" and I'd be afraid I'd have to pay money to see this dreck.

• Love 3

A comment about the people on the show saying how awful yellow is as a color - it doesn't go well with light skin but I think it looks pretty good against dark skin. Those people were criticizing the yellow color thinking only of light skin color. I wish the judges and others on the show could step outside of the Eurocentric aesthetics and acknowledge that non-European aesthetics are equally valid.  (I've noticed this for years.)  The garments, though, were pretty awful.  I got a Flintstones vibe from Char's with the pointy-piece skirt.  Sandhiya's looked like a nightgown.

Yes, yes, yes!  I have the wrong skin tone to look good in yellow, but my sister used to look fabulous.  Every season we have designers who simply do not understand how to work with color. Some never really break out of their black and white or beige wheelhouse at all.  I wear a lot of black, but that doesn't mean nothing should ever be made in a different color.   I think you really nailed it with the eurocentric viewpoint of the judges.  Fashion could expand so much and these designers could be more fashion-forward if they didn't limit themselves this way (and if the judges actually appreciated it).

Both Sandhya's and Char's looks were poorly constructed  Given more than a day, they may have been able to solve those problems.

The judges complain when they see too many safe or simple designs or poor construction on more complex designs, but they don't give the designers enough time to complete challenging designs.  I was glad that Heidi took a close look at Fade's garment and realized all of the effort that went into it.  

Of course, that's a risk, because print can be good or bad.  I guess much like the lace Alexander and Samantha used.  While at Mood, I was excited about the oxblood lace.  But for God's sake, why couldn't thy have lined it?  Or used it as an accent?  Adding applicques and feathers to the naked lace was acky-tacky.

When Alexander stated he had to place the appliques strategically to prevent yet another peep show on PR, I new it would go from embellished to godawful.  It was so strange to me that they bought lace without buying lining.  

When Zac was examining Char's outfit (quite closely; he really gets all up in there), we got yet another model ass exposure for this season.  I remember when it was considered damn near unforgivable to send a model out with her butt exposed.  This year we get some kind of flashing every episode.   Is the material budget so tight they're dressing them in cocktail napkins?  

• Love 1
Char only has herself to blame. She agreed with Sandhya that it should be 'citrus' - which means bright, popping shades of yellow, orange, lime green. But then she later said she wished she'd chosen a softer yellow. Well,that wouldn't have been a citrus shade then.  Char also suggested leather, I think

I agree here. At first I was thinking Sandhya who should've been auf'd because she was the one who insisted on the color - but the judges wouldn't know this unless Tim or the contestants told them.  Even so, Char should've fought harder and if I heard it right Char was also responsible for the leather that she ended up not being able to work with very well.  I think the "citrus' color palette could've worked out and been very pretty if they included any citrus except just ultra-bright yellow. A softer yellow, some oranges and/or greens, or even just varying shades of yellow might have been pretty.  Although the construction was so bad, it was probably pretty hard to excuse Char's model's "peek a boo" in the back.

I personally loved Emily's dress. I kind of loved that it was a wedding dress that looked like a mysterious woman at a funeral. (For any Pretty Little Liar's fans, I could totally see A wearing that to the funeral of the week lol).

Oh, yeah, but ::sniff to this week's funeral::  Loved the nurses' uniforms!  But I think that puts Emily's design in the realm of costume rather than real world, albeit unconventional, wedding dress.

I have to say my mind wandered a bit in the direction of "sabotage?" when Amanda ever-so-helpfully made the pants for Korina's outfit --  and then they turned out to be nearly unwearable because Amanda didn't size them correctly. I'm pretty sure she knows that not all the models are the same size as hers, so why wouldn't she ask for Korina's model's measurements?

My mind wandered toward sabotage, too.  I mean, knowing the measurements of the person who is going to be wearing the garment seems like it ought to be Sewing 101.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 4

My mind wandered toward sabotage, too.  I mean, knowing the measurements of the person who is going to be wearing the garment seems like it ought to be Sewing 101.

Now that you uys say it, I can see sabotage too, because she could have asked the model for her measurements, surely she doesn't think that all models have the same measurements, so she knew better.  But if the pants didn't work she could have been like "well I tried to help her"

• Love 1

A yellow dress has to be the right shade of yellow for the wearer's skin tone, it has to be designed right, and, yes, an additional color helps.  Remember Jeffrey Sebelia's yellow plaid couture gown?  I found a picture of it here: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20741505_20233140_20526832,00.html

Hm.. this leads me to a question. I apologize if this has been answered before.  At what point do the designers know who their model(s) will be for a specific challenge?  I completely agree with the comments on the skin tone of the model being important, especially for that bright yellow.  Do the designers know who their model will be (and more importantly in this case what her skin tone will be) before they go fabric shopping? I think it's extra hard for a team challenge if the designers want to use the same color in both looks and the models' skin tones aren't very similar.

I agree.  And the instruction not to make it "costume-y".  I wedding dress is nothing but a beautiful costume to be worn on a stage in front of an audience. 

I agree!!! I had three unconventional weddings (with three conventional divorces. What can I say? I like a good party) so I was really looking forward to this episode but blech... Char shouldn't have let Sandyah pick the fabric (duh). That should have been her one condition: "I pick the fabric, then you can do whatever batshit-crazy thing you want with it."

Re the guest judge... I grew up with very Italian grandparents and they did the opposite of her accent: they would DROP the last syllable of words ("chill" for "children", etc.) not add one. That verbal tic of hers drove me nuts, but at least she seemed to have some valuable things to say. 

And lastly, could they make those stupid voting graphics any more gigantic on screen? They block what I'm actually trying to look at. The sooner this trend of 'interactive TV watching' passes, the better. HASHTAG CUT IT THE FUCK OUT.

• Love 17