Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E15: Top 10 perform

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wtf! These aren’t the same contestants from yesterday! 3/3 pretty good so far. Even the judges’ song choices were good. It’s like that Seinfeld episode where she was beautiful from some angles and ugly from others. 

Omg, Alanis and Ed next week!!!

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 4
2 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

It doesn’t matter who sings ‘Go rest high on that mountain’.  I cry every time.  Thank you Vince Gill for  a beautiful song.

I'd never heard that song before, but yeah, it's very emotional, for sure. Megan's performance of it was lovely.

The women in general were very strong tonight, really - "The Only Exception" was a good choice of song for Haven, and Mary Beth and We had good performances as well (and We looked so pretty!). 

As for the guys...that was a...very sleepy rendition of "High and Dry". Great song, but t's already got a slower, more chill vibe as it is, I don't know that this version really stood out as much. 

Also, I have never liked Staind's "It's Been Awhile" - never really got into that kind of rock music that was so big back when I was in high school - but Colin did have a good performance of it. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Pretty sure we all more Katy was gonna save captain coffee shop when he said his sick dad was gonna come and watch him. 

I had picked Marybeth to potentially win, but both of her last two performances were lacking. Not remotely sad to see the other kid (whose name I keep forgetting) get sent home. 

*his name is Tyson. I haven’t gotten it right without looking on the app once all season. 

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'd never heard that song before, but yeah, it's very emotional, for sure. Megan's performance of it was lovely.

The women in general were very strong tonight, really - "The Only Exception" was a good choice of song for Haven, and Mary Beth and We had good performances as well (and We looked so pretty!). 

As for the guys...that was a...very sleepy rendition of "High and Dry". Great song, but t's already got a slower, more chill vibe as it is, I don't know that this version really stood out as much. 

Also, I have never liked Staind's "It's Been Awhile" - never really got into that kind of rock music that was so big back when I was in high school - but Colin did have a good performance of it. 

Definitely check out Vince Gill’s version.  Also, Carrie Underwood sang it during a tribute to Gill.

Colin did a good job wit the Staind song.  Remember hearing that song ad nauseam back in the day.

Oliver seems like a nice guy but has the whole coffee shop vibe.

• Like 3

Thought they would save Tyson as he was the last golden ticket.  I think he’s too Broadway for this show but he was good tonight.  I agree that Oliver is just too boring.

I’ve never found Maribeth all that memorable.  And whoever has been styling her for the last couple shows should be fired.  

Megan’s makeover looks great.  Her new hair color is really flattering. 

• Like 3

Just getting all my thoughts together on the Final 8.

Zachariah-Bad lounge act. Ok voice, karaoke presentation. Hard pass. 

Iam-He’s the feel good story because he’s so humble, and I think a lot of people like him because he doesn’t look like the typical star. Unfortunately, I’ve heard 20 different versions of him when I’ve been to Hawaii in the past. He sounds just like every resort performer that you can hear all over the place. 

Oliver-Saved himself by using the whole “but my sick dad is gonna come next week” card. He sounds like every beanie wearing coffee shop guy who I can hear on any given night around my city. 

Danielle-Holy hell, this girl has grown so much from the version we saw in the audition. Love that gravel in her voice, and she made my cry real tears tonight. 

Warren-I’d buy his album tomorrow. He’s not going to win, and he doesn’t need to. 

Haven-She’s progressed, but I just don’t think she’s vocally ready to be a star. If she had worked on her craft and auditioned a couple years from now, I think she’d have had a solid career. Hopefully her songwriting can carry her. As an aside, A band I was in years ago got to open for her dad’s band at a music festival. Legit really good guy.

We-She’s probably the best pure vocalist, but I can’t imagine that they’re going to let someone who almost won the voice win idol.

Colin-Another artist who has shown some real development. Probably ends up final 3 but doesn’t win. Also, I’m expecting to find out that he is Haven’s secret crush  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
10 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Thought they would save Tyson as he was the last golden ticket.  I think he’s too Broadway for this show but he was good tonight.  I agree that Oliver is just too boring.

I think Tyson is too Lite-FM radio. 

I agree Oliver is pretty boring but I'm glad he was the one saved since I liked him more than the other two. (That "my dad is hoping to come see me next week" was a total sympathy-vote grab, though)

10 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Megan’s makeover looks great.  Her new hair color is really flattering. 

Yes, she looks so pretty. She's such a good singer. I'm thinking she might actually win the whole thing.

• Like 3

Just as sure as Oliver was about who chose which song, I was positive that Luke chose that Vince Gill song for Megan!

Come on, Megan, it was so obvious! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

Chayse Beckham is still so attractive and still putting out songs that I like. Too bad I only hear them when they are performed on AI. I am not at all responsible for his album being certified gold.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

We is easily the most talented and polished of this season, but that person never wins.  She's the Katharine McPhee/Melinda Dolittle of this season, destined to place second or third.

American Idol viewers love the underdog/diamond in the rough/insert-your-cliche-of-choice here contestant, so the winner will be either Iam (most likely), Megan, or Colin.  I don't think Iam's style is marketable, but I could see Colin having a decent career in country music, or Megan in Christian or gospel music.

7 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

I'd say he's actually a good lounge act, but definitely not a rock or pop star.  I love that he sang an ELO song last night, and I know all the 70s/80s songs he's been singing, but that's not marketable.  My neighbor plays in an 80s cover band in local bars.  They're great, and they can pack the bar with 40 and 50 year-olds, but they're not selling records.  I see that in Zachariah's future.

Zachariah and Tyson were both born 40 years too late.  Tyson could've been a Richard Marx-type artist, and Zachariah could've been Lou Gramm (Foreigner) or Dennis DeYoung (Styx).

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Just getting all my thoughts together on the Final 8.

Iam-He’s the feel good story because he’s so humble, and I think a lot of people like him because he doesn’t look like the typical star. Unfortunately, I’ve heard 20 different versions of him when I’ve been to Hawaii in the past. He sounds just like every resort performer that you can hear all over the place. 

Oliver-Saved himself by using the whole “but my sick dad is gonna come next week” card. He sounds like every beanie wearing coffee shop guy who I can hear on any given night around my city. 

Danielle-Holy hell, this girl has grown so much from the version we saw in the audition. Love that gravel in her voice, and she made my cry real tears tonight. 

Warren-I’d buy his album tomorrow. He’s not going to win, and he doesn’t need to. 

Haven-She’s progressed, but I just don’t think she’s vocally ready to be a star. If she had worked on her craft and auditioned a couple years from now, I think she’d have had a solid career. Hopefully her songwriting can carry her. As an aside, A band I was in years ago got to open for her dad’s band at a music festival. Legit really good guy.

We-She’s probably the best pure vocalist, but I can’t imagine that they’re going to let someone who almost won the voice win idol.

Colin-Another artist who has shown some real development. Probably ends up final 3 but doesn’t win. Also, I’m expecting to find out that he is Haven’s secret crush  

Haven’s parents do seem really nice and supportive of her.

remember when Simon said Adam Lambert was too broadway.  Hey it worked for him.

Zach.  Love his song choices Toto and ELO.  Thank you.  I see him doing the cruise ship route .  He’s enjoyable to watch.  Plus it would probably be more fun than working at a sandwich shop. 

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Like 4

I don’t think Zachariah will go the cruise ship route as he’s a 19 year old step-dad to 3 kids.   That still blows my mind.  Any idea how old his wife is?  I feel like if this were in reverse it would have a huge creep factor but since he’s a guy, it’s considered cool that he’s with an older woman.  Wonder if he was legal when they started dating?  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
17 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

I don’t think Zachariah will go the cruise ship route as he’s a 19 year old step-dad to 3 kids.   That still blows my mind.  Any idea how old his wife is?  I feel like if this were in reverse it would have a huge creep factor but since he’s a guy, it’s considered cool that he’s with an older woman.  Wonder if he was legal when they started dating?  

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that she's 32.

A Morgan Wallen song?

The elephant in the room? Country with a K indeed, Mary Beth Byrd.

Loved that she thought Bryant wd be besties with Morgan.

She's only 21??? I thought she was about 36 years old as well. Bland song choices and  she needed to move a little with the rhythyms? 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Zach.  Love his song choices Toto and ELO.  Thank you.  I see him doing the cruise ship route .  He’s enjoyable to watch.  Plus it would probably be more fun than working at a sandwich shop. 

I love Zach because he is entertaining to watch and listen to.  So many of the contestants are just BORING.  So I hope he stays as long as possible.  I do not think he will win it but I think he will do well after the show.

Sorry to Nutsa go.  I know most do not like her but I think she is one of the better, more polished singer.  I think she too will do well.  Sorry to Tyson go but he too will land on his feet as a singer, musician and songwriter.

Why do we have to suffer through the non-critical (over praising) comments from the judges.  Every contestant has found their confidence, their swag, their voice, are a STAR blah blah blah.  It would cut down the time on the show by at least 45 minutes to full hour.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Haven is so boring. At practically the same time over on The Voice a contestant also sang The Only Exception (I record both), and sounded much better. She'll disappear quickly once the season is over. Really surprised they didn't save Tyson. He has so much more potential over Oliver who I can only see doing the State Fair circuit. Tyson should have done the Bruno Mars song. 

Iam let himself get talked into doing the signature song of late Hawaiian great Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, best known for singing a combination Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World, and even completed it by playing ukuleleThe little flourish near the end was taken directly from his version. He also sang the first part during the Hawaii showcase episode. It's pretty much the most stereotypical thing a Hawaiian singer can do. Israel died young at only 38 weighing almost 700 pounds and I hope Iam does not follow. He will probably not become a superstar but will embark on a flourishing career in the Polynesian music scene which stretches throughout the South Pacific and Las Vegas. There is something to be said for being a big fish in a small pond. 

I knew someone who did several stints on a cruise line as a hairdresser. They are contract workers through an agency and don't get benefits. It's a terrible idea for someone supporting a family. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Entering my bitchy era...

This was Haven's best performance yet but I still don't really care for her and her helicopter dad creeps me out.

We sounded AMAZING but it's so weird to see her emote so strongly with her vocals yet her face almost doesn't move at all.  

Marybeth was boring

Tyson is incredibly talented but boring 

Zachariah is entertaining, I could see him getting a show in Vegas but I don't think I can see him becoming a recording artist

You guys are so mean to my poor sweet Oliver.  lol  for whatever reason he's my underdog favorite, I enjoyed his rendition of that Radiohead song and I'm glad Katy saved him <3

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Finally had a chance to watch the episode (unspoiled) last night. I felt like the B3 was going to be Haven, Marybeth, & Oliver (with Tyson being my alternate if I was wrong about 1 of them). So it pretty much played out the way I thought it would. My assumption is that Haven was 7th in the voting, but I could totally be off on her appeal.

The dichotomy of enjoying Zachariah's taste in music, and absolutely hating to watch him on stage is something to behold.

Something w/ Tyson just never quite jelled. I think he might've been better staying behind the piano for more his performances (like he did in his initial audition that got him the platinum ticket)

No love for Marybeth choosing a Morgan Wallen song, but that was as good as she's sounded in weeks. So I feel pretty good that she went out on a strong performance, and I do feel like she's going to find a little traction in Nashville this time around.

I'm not really sure what Oliver does to stay in the competition much beyond next week (unless spins an Alanis song into another heartbreaker that he somehow connects to his relationship w/ his Dad).

I'm sort of wondering if maybe Haven & Megan Danielle will switch roles post AI. MD came into this season very adamant that she wants to be in the Contemporary Christian space (like former idols, Danny Gokey, Colton Dixon, & Mandisa). Where Haven (w/ a Dad already in that space) hasn't really said anything other than she wants to be a pop singer. Maybe it will end up where Haven parlays her notoriety into releasing CCM music, and MD will end up releasing a more mainstream country(ish), southern(ish) offering that has Christian themes but isn't solely marketed as a Christian record?

As for Megan's GRHOTM, well that was featured prominently at my father's calling hours and funeral. So needless to say it got a little dusty in the room for a few minutes

Warren, I thought I was awesome (and I totally disagree w/ Luke's comment. The gravelly sound or "grit" in Warren's voice is what makes it grating and annoying to listen to after a while). I absolutely love Colder Weather, so I might be a bit biased.

Colin, I don't think did quite as well with the Staind song as I thought he might. I'm still glad he's willing and open to try songs that are a little out of his wheel house. I'd actually love to see him tackle a softer country song like Miranda's House that Built Me, or maybe even Kelsea's Half of My Hometown..

Really wish Iam wouldn't have let himself get talked out of More than Words. I think his initial instinct was the right one. Stay away from songs that invite that Israel K comparison any more than absolutely necessary..

Oh, and of course We picked out the Whitney song. Of course she did lol.

• Like 1

Sorry to see Tyson go.  I just liked him, but I agree with poster upthread, he will do just fine considering how talented he is in songwriting and playing the piano.  He is just so cute.

Not surprised they did not save MaryBeth but I think she too will land on her feet just fine.

Looking forward to next week's shows with the temporary judges. Maybe they will shake up the boring process of the show.  I still don't feel like I know much about the last 8 contestants.

Love me some Colin though..........

• Like 4

I am sure this has been discussed, however We Ani has been on The Voice. She sang at The Library of Congress event honoring Tony Bennett. She seems to be a professional now. How is she even on American Idol?

I tried to find the conversation on this, but gave up. So thanks in advance for explaining.

• Applause 1
On 5/9/2023 at 11:53 PM, LoveLeigh said:

I am sure this has been discussed, however We Ani has been on The Voice. She sang at The Library of Congress event honoring Tony Bennett. She seems to be a professional now. How is she even on American Idol?

I tried to find the conversation on this, but gave up. So thanks in advance for explaining.

Because there aren’t any rules to prevent it from happening. Most of the contestants have large social media followings, music available on different platforms, etc. Idol doesn’t find amateurs anymore. The show just promotes people who already have an audience. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1