Type keyword(s) to search

The Secrets Of Hillsong - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I barely got through the first episode and had to fast forward through the second. Way too much time letting that idiot Lentz babble on. He repulsed me from the beginning with that sermon where he claimed that the NYPD had marveled that his home hadn't been shot up. On the face of it that was nonsense. Why would a cop think it amazing that 100% of a given area wasn't affected by an alleged shoot-out. So that was a lie right there. Plus I also doubt that a shoot-out occurred. It was just an excuse to make it seem like 1) he's so cool and street-wise, and 1) he's so pure and rightious bullets can't touch him and his family. Ugh. Who falls for that crap? Well wonder no more as there were also way too many talking heads of people who want someone charismatic to spoon feed them the meaning of life while also entertaining them and making them feel so so special. What could possibly go wrong there? I would rather read an article about this church or watch a Frontline style documentary with a just the facts approach. This documentary annoyed me. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

This is nearly unwatchable..  sooooo drawn out. Way too many shots of people trying to cry, looking sad, Acting like it’s for their Oscar reel. Especially, Lauren and Carl.  So Fake. 
And I agree, why is this man being allowed to yammer on and on?  He’s just preaching quieter. 

And of course they wanted to look hip and cool,  but No Gays or Blacks or Ambitious Women, please! Typical. 

• Like 5

Wait is he trying to say he was going to leave Hillsong anyway because he’s so progressive and wanted to be inclusive? I feel like he never would’ve left that ego-stroking money train without being pushed off. 

• Like 5

I actually thought this was a pretty good watch.  I mean, Carl was just one small problem with that clusterfuck of a church. Laura doesn't seem like a particularly weak person so hopefully she knows what she's doing by staying with him.

Watching this mess unfold was just another reminder of why I've always been an athiest.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 6/3/2023 at 12:06 AM, sskrill said:

I actually thought this was a pretty good watch.  I mean, Carl was just one small problem with that clusterfuck of a church. Laura doesn't seem like a particularly weak person so hopefully she knows what she's doing by staying with him.

Watching this mess unfold was just another reminder of why I've always been an athiest.  

I watched the Hillsong Documentary last summer that was on Discovery+, should I check out this one?

Finally finished watching.  To me, the best part was the absolute deer-in-the-headlights look of Brian Houston when he was testifying before the commission.  He looked like he was scared sh*tless, and possessed absolutely none of the swagger and certitude that we saw from him all the other times he ever spoke.

I also wonder if anyone else picked up on something I noticed.  At the time Brian testified, he was sticking to his story that his father had only abused that one boy, known then as AHA.  The wording Brian used to describe what his dad did was a "one-off", although later he changed his tune and called his father a serial predator.  So I found it very telling that he used the exact same wording of "one-off" to characterize that episode where he spent the 40 minutes alone in that woman's hotel room and had mixed the alcohol with the pills.  I think that when he said "one-off" in relation to his father, he knew darn well that it wasn't.  And I'm guessing that when he used "one-off" in regards to his own behavior, that it also wasn't.

• Like 6