Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Lazy Daisy

• Start Topic

Capt. Glenn insists a stew go on all excursions; Daisy is frustrated after learning she's a stew down while the deck team goofed off on the eFoils; chef Ileisha's perfectionism is thrown off when she faces her greatest fear in the galley.

Airdate: 05.01.2023

(edited)

Like a boat becalmed one moment and active the next, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast…

Chase seems genuinely eager to contribute, but Gary’s jealously is getting in the way.

And by the way – if the toys aren’t charged up – whose fault is that?  Uh… Gary?

Alex – you’re not Nietzsche.  Stop trying to take advantage of vulnerable girls. 

Colin is happy the engine is purring along and everything is fine – why do I sense impending doom?

Gary – “It’s far easier licking Daisy’s ass and telling her just what she wants to hear.”  Yeah, that’s the basis of a healthy relationship… not.

I don’t understand the fake drama of having Ileisha worry about “overcooking” something, when it’s clear the guests have loved everything she’s done.  Usually if a chef thinks meat is overcooked, most people think it’s just right.

These guests, by the way, are very nice and not jerks.

Overall, despite editing to attempt to show the contrary, this charter has gone very well so far.

The guests expressed appreciation for their “amazing sailing journey.  Just one problem.  No sailing.  

They left a nice tip though -- should cover the total cost of broken glassware, given how things have gone so far.  (:

Gary isn't making himself look any better on the dinner outing -- perhaps should be called Dick rather than Gary.  And the trend continues back on the boat.  Meanwhile Alex is passed out drunk in the hot tub (who wants to go anywhere near that hot tub) and again later in the crew mess.  *sigh*  Well, it was a fun episode up until the last segment.

What will happen next week?  Will the crew Hijinx catch up with them?  Will the guests be jerks?  Will Gary continue to be a jerk?  Stay tuned, if you can stay focused….

Edited by Tanukisan
  • Like 13
  • LOL 1

Maybe now that Gary is not butt hurt about missing the first crew night out and hearing about somebody else kissing all the women, he will start to be nicer to Chase.  It would be so easy for Gary to give Chase a little positive reinforcement and get him on his side, but he would rather complain about every little thing out of Chase's mouth- even when he is being an overachiever.  Egads!  How horrible!

I loved how Colin referred to the jacuzzi as a cesspool.  That is putting it kindly.  I'm so glad many of them called it an early night so we didn't have a repeat of junior high kissing games.  I wonder if Mads is the new Gary... a hit with the opposite sex and more than willing to take them for a wild ride.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Like a boat becalmed one moment and active the next, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast…

After I read your opening of your posts my mind always goes to "Like sand thru an hourglass so are the Days of Our Lives." I love your work!

9 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Chase seems genuinely eager to contribute,

Chase knows boat stuff but also tries to run the show by second guessing Gary, he is like Schrodinger's Cat on this boat.  

While he is a good deckhand he does complain a lot along with under his breath comments about basically getting laid.  It has been framed by production or maybe in reality that the guys on the boat think the women are there in a concubine sort of way and all they have do is select which woman they will be having sex with that night.  I see it as the women are merchandise and the deck crew wants to collect them all.

I see nothing attractive about Gary, his attitude about how he should have first pick from the harem is dismal, if we think the hot tub is a cesspool what do think Gary's dick is like?!

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

The guests expressed appreciation for their “amazing sailing journey.  Just one problem.  No sailing.

They did sail on day 1, right after they boarded. But I agree, the guests were super agreeable and seemed to enjoy everything,

I think Ileshia's food looks fantastic, there hasn't been a meal yet that I wouldn't love to eat. Appreciated seeing Glenn in the galley giving her a pep talk. 

I don't blame Daisy for being pissed that they sent a stew with the guests when she woke up to see Gary & Colin playing around on the water toys. 

Getting a weird vibe from Chase re: the women. He reminds me of that Bryan guy from a early Below Deck season who'd get super irritated & aggressive when women would like someone else or turn down his advances. He thinks that because he's expressed an interest in her that everyone else should back, even when she's clearly flirting with the other guys. Not going to happen. 

• Like 12

how is this behavior okay in a workplace.  No female deserves to be groped like that.  They are also all a little old for all the drinking nonsense.  They all act like they are at a frat party.  I did enjoy these guests.  No drama.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

These had to be the nicest charter guests I've ever seen on any BD show. So nice, so appreciative and so respectful. That one guy actually ran down to his cabin to clean up his mess right in the middle of dinner because he didn't want the stews to have to do it! That has never happened, ever.

I don't know what the deal is between Gary and Chase, they just seem to rub each other the wrong way. I'm not especially inclined to side with Gary because he can be an ass sometimes. I get that Chase can be a little irritating the way he keeps second guessing everything but he's so eager and willing and a good worker. Maybe Gary is threatened by him.

It has been framed by production or maybe in reality that the guys on the boat think the women are there in a concubine sort of way and all they have do is select which woman they will be having sex with that night.  I see it as the women are merchandise and the deck crew wants to collect them all.

Yeah but at the same time, the girls are all in the other car comparing notes about which boys they like and which way their dicks curve. It's all so very junior high and it's just embarrassing.

I'm sure production encourages this kind of thing and the participants probably believe this is what the audience wants to see. It's one thing if something develops between two crew members but these hot tub orgies with everyone making out with each other are downright repulsive IMO. Nobody comes out of this looking good.

• Like 6
  • Applause 7

Are these people in their late 20's or 30"s ? Because I don't know anyone in this age group who acts this way once they are out of college. I would love to hear a real crew member, deck or stew comment on this show as it relates to the real world of working on a yacht. I feel like the first few seasons of Below Deck portrayed crew members working on a super yacht, and it was still entertaining. I didn't watch last night's show. I am pretty much over all of the Below Deck shows.

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

And therefore increase camera time.

No, I get it leads to more camera time but to actually sleep with someone for camera time, that is sad since they get paid the same with or without whatever STD's or whatnot one could contract...most of the stews are a one (season) and done so it is not like they garner any status for future seasons. 

I guess the other way to get camera time is to absolutely suck at your job, you get a few on camera one on one's with your boss before you get called to the bridge with the captain to get sacked.

3 hours ago, snarts said:

He reminds me of that Bryan guy from a early Below Deck season who'd get super irritated & aggressive when women would like someone else or turn down his advances.

Yes! That is problematic for sure.  I remember seasons ago one of the deckies, (Ashton was it?),  asking another deckie why is it so hard to get a blow job on board as if that are what the female stews are there for.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah but at the same time, the girls are all in the other car comparing notes about which boys they like and which way their dicks curve. It's all so very junior high and it's just embarrassing.

Yes!!! Maybe they are hired based on their level of arrested development, they are all so worldly with their knowledge of dick it is cringe worthy.

Seriously, both the men and women act like keeping it in your pants for six weeks is an impossible task so they would rather have sex with the most persistent person on board (Gary), and regret it at some point or have sex with a different crew member thinking that it is a real relationship that will last once the last bumper is in place and the anchor is down on the last charter.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Are these people in their late 20's or 30"s ? Because I don't know anyone in this age group who acts this way once they are out of college. I would love to hear a real crew member, deck or stew comment on this show as it relates to the real world of working on a yacht. I feel like the first few seasons of Below Deck portrayed crew members working on a super yacht, and it was still entertaining. I didn't watch last night's show. I am pretty much over all of the Below Deck shows.

I agree that the first seasons of the franchise were the best in that the crew were legit yachties. Many still are, like the core 4 of this group, but many of the junior crew are reality star/ influencer wannabes and the authenticity level has dropped drastically.  

I remember pre Covid that nights out often involved a dinner and then clubbing.  BDSY has (for the 3 seasons I've watched), just had the hot tub shenanigans post dinner.  I guess they are trying (and failing) to find a way to keep it interesting, but having the same group converge in a grungy jacuzzi every 3 days gets old...or stupid...or regretful...

• Like 11

Gary should definitely have spent the five hours between his return and the arrival of the charter guests, checking the boat with his crew and going over details like the jacuzzi and the water toys. We didn't really see him taking charge.  And that scene with Glenn instructing the deckhand while Gary and Colin were sitting there smoking within earshot was totally fake IMHO. There also was no communication with the deckies about raising and furling the sails.

It looks like production just wants drunken revels and butt scratching.

Also what was the deal with the guy who wanted his clothes hung up but then gave her 8 shirts to iron for a 2 day cruise?  We got no personality development for any of the guests.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, OlderThanDirt said:

Also what was the deal with the guy who wanted his clothes hung up but then gave her 8 shirts to iron for a 2 day cruise?

Leave him alone!  He just wanted to have choices!  Just kidding.  I'm one of the rare minority who enjoys ironing, but yeah, that was a big ask.  ;-)

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
26 minutes ago, Oosala said:

Leave him alone!  He just wanted to have choices!  Just kidding.  I'm one of the rare minority who enjoys ironing, but yeah, that was a big ask.  ;-)

I am one of your people, I too enjoy the iron.

When a guest asks that everything or even half their clothes get steamed or pressed (for their two days on board) only to get shoved in a suitcase comes off assholish.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I took a break from Below Deck last season but came back for Sailing Yacht but agree it’s just the same old repetitive bad behaviour by some of the deck crew, it’s getting tiresome and uncomfortable to watch the predator behaviour and the women as the objects of their desire.  Obviously production is encouraging that dynamic which is unfortunate.  The guests were awesome, generous and respectful and the chef is sweet, charming and accomplished.  But the rest was the usual predictable bad immature behaviour.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

OMG! I saw myself when the client ran down to the master to pick up their towels and clothes. I'm the goof who tidies up prior to a cleaner coming to my home. (And no, I don't have a regular maid - I just get great gifts from my kids) I laughed, but was pleased I'm not the only one.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I agree that the first seasons of the franchise were the best in that the crew were legit yachties. Many still are, like the core 4 of this group, but many of the junior crew are reality star/ influencer wannabes and the authenticity level has dropped drastically.  

What Below Deck show had the married couple as deck crew, along with Georgia in laundry, etc. For the life of me I can't see them in a show with Gary. I think I'm watching too many bad reality shows.

17 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

... but to actually sleep with someone for camera time, that is sad since they get paid the same with or without whatever STD's or whatnot one could contract...

Yes! That is problematic for sure.  I remember seasons ago one of the deckies, (Ashton was it?),  asking another deckie why is it so hard to get a blow job on board as if that are what the female stews are there for.

I remember thinking Ashton was respectful and different when first introduced, but then his inner misogynistic creep came out. However, aside a a couple of hmms, they don't appear to actually have intercourse most of the time. When the gals talk, it sounds like there's a lot of cuddling, heavy petting, etc. But the line is drawn unless they decide to venture out after season's over.

But maybe that's wishful thinking on my part. Personally, I loved kissing when I was younger, but that's where it stopped (until I determined it was worth a future investment.)

• Like 2
20 hours ago, snarts said:

Getting a weird vibe from Chase re: the women. He reminds me of that Bryan guy from a early Below Deck season who'd get super irritated & aggressive when women would like someone else or turn down his advances.

I think he's led a very sheltered life, or simply has no game because he's young and inexperienced. I'm reminded of when one is, say 14, and kisses a schoolmate, so then you were "going steady" and 3 days later it would end in tears, etc. Rinse and repeat. Because they kissed during drunken games, he's mentally going out with her because he's not been around women long enough to understand kissing is simply kissing . Ick, imagine being beholden to every person you kiss? There goes New Year's Eve. Lol

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

We didn't really see him taking charge.

It's obvious that the crew barely bother to do their jobs because they know they are on a TV production set. We're seeing some of that in Gary now.

Some of them aren't skilled enough to be called yachties. "I rode in a boat once. I'm a yachtie."

1 hour ago, aqusdealer said:

Gary…please shampoo your hair once in awhile!

Gary looks dirty sometimes. Greasy unkempt hair, wrinkled clothes, and you know he has smokers' breath. He's got a paunch now and he's trying to lean in to Fabio territory.

The hot tub is nasty.

A little alcohol sure loosened up the chef.

I'm enjoying the lack of Fake Drama and too much toxic bro-ville.

Laughed at Glenn rummaging the boat for snacks and stuffing his pockets.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 3
On 5/2/2023 at 7:59 AM, snarts said:

I don't blame Daisy for being pissed that they sent a stew with the guests when she woke up to see Gary & Colin playing around on the water toys. 

And his response was that she could ask for help any time and of course he'd help. Sure, Gary, tell the woman to just "ask for help" when you make work for her... instead of just not making work for her!  Was kind of surprised she didn't point that out herself and instead accepted it meekly, but I suppose she's got to work with the guy and he probably won't do it again.

22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know what the deal is between Gary and Chase, they just seem to rub each other the wrong way. I'm not especially inclined to side with Gary because he can be an ass sometimes. I get that Chase can be a little irritating the way he keeps second guessing everything but he's so eager and willing and a good worker. Maybe Gary is threatened by him.

It seemed like Colin was trying to get Gary to see that -- the guy's a hard worker, he just needs to be managed, and it's Gary's job to manage even the people he doesn't consider his bros.

That said, the guy is a whiner. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

The only part of the episode I enjoyed was when Glenn was looking in cabinets and elsewhere for snacks.  Liked that more than the crew's drunken antic.  

After that scene, I can definitely identify with Glenn, much more so than the other crew.  Actually, there were quite a few scenes on nights off that I identified with Glenn!   Now I just need to buy a bulk supply of crisp bread!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Chalby said:

What Below Deck show had the married couple as deck crew, along with Georgia in laundry, etc. For the life of me I can't see them in a show with Gary. I think I'm watching too many bad reality shows.

That was the first season of Sailing Yacht. Glenn was there but the Gary/Daisy crew didn’t start until season 2.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I don't understand why this episode was called Lazy Daisy.  I know she took a 2 hour break, but I seem to remember her sending one of the other stews for a 2 hour break as well.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Oosala said:

I don't understand why this episode was called Lazy Daisy.  I know she took a 2 hour break, but I seem to remember her sending one of the other stews for a 2 hour break as well.

She sure did.

• Like 2

See, I don't think Chase was being territorial with Mads. He has glaring at/staring down at Gary because Gary was hardcore flirting with Mads right in front of Chase, when Chase had just confided in Gary that he liked Mads. I know Gary doesn't have or owe Chase a bro code, but it was still really obnoxious of Gary to do that, especially with his track record of trying to make it with every female crew member, including his direct subordinates. And, Chase doesn't know Mads isn't interested at all in him. She only told that to the camera and the crew member that mentioned it to her.  Chase was upset at Gary, not Mads. I don't get a rapey Brian vibe from S1 BDM from Chase. At least, not yet.

I really hate that Gary is so handsy with all of the female staff, and hate even more that absolutely no one ever calls him on it. He's a major creep.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Chalby said:

That was Padget and Ciara. They weren't married but they were a couple and had been together for awhile. They broke up not long ago.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

What is this device you speak of called iron?

It is flat bottomed heated and weighted appliance that smooths the wrinkles out of your clothing, typically used after you return from river where you have beat your laundry on the rocks.  I find it oddly soothing and it helps justify the crap I watch on tv because I can say I am doing one meaningless task whilst doing another more constructive activity.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 12
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It is flat bottomed heated and weighted appliance that smooths the wrinkles out of your clothing, typically used after you return from river where you have beat your laundry on the rocks.  I find it oddly soothing and it helps justify the crap I watch on tv because I can say I am doing one meaningless task whilst doing another more constructive activity.

The other good thing about ironing is that I have a finished product that gives me a feeling of accomplishment.  

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, Book Junkie said:

Chase was upset at Gary, not Mads. I don't get a rapey Brian vibe from S1 BDM from Chase. At least, not yet.

I really hate that Gary is so handsy with all of the female staff, and hate even more that absolutely no one ever calls him on it. He's a major creep.

Chase was visibly angry that Mads was flirting with everyone but him. He was shooting daggers at Alex in the hot tub as well.

While I see nothing remotely charming or attractive about Gary, the man does not make unwelcome advances. The ladies are interested in him and are often the ones aggressively pursing the hookup. While it feels icky, I've come to learn that the level & expectation of professionalism in the yachting world is vastly different than that in the corporate world. 

• Sad 1
19 hours ago, snarts said:

Chase was visibly angry that Mads was flirting with everyone but him. He was shooting daggers at Alex in the hot tub as well.

While I see nothing remotely charming or attractive about Gary, the man does not make unwelcome advances. The ladies are interested in him and are often the ones aggressively pursing the hookup. While it feels icky, I've come to learn that the level & expectation of professionalism in the yachting world is vastly different than that in the corporate world. 

I disagree about Gary making unwanted advances. The stew that came on as a replacement late last season was NOT interested in hooking up with Gary. She said while she found him fun and all, she saw him for the player that he is, and was not interested in becoming another notch on his belt. He started hitting on her as soon as she came aboard; she repeatedly turned down his advances; and one time, while she was working, he came up behind her and started nuzzling her neck and hugging her. I was appalled. Whether the women are interested in him or not, he's slept with direct subordinates and has been very handsy with women from the get go. It's disturbing how Gary seems to think that all the female staff on board are there for his pleasure. Gary's a huge creep.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Shrek said:

My mother loves to iron & irons everything that comes out of the washing machine, she says she finds it therapeutic .

What does she think of Jeremy Irons?  (:

• Sad 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/3/2023 at 10:15 AM, Oosala said:

I don't understand why this episode was called Lazy Daisy.

It's INSULTING.   Just as Glenn was insulting her because he didn't have all the facts.

On 5/1/2023 at 6:30 PM, Tanukisan said:

Chase seems genuinely eager to contribute, but Gary’s jealously is getting in the way.

Not sure Chase so "genuine."  He's eager to prove that he's so much smarter and better than everyone else. He gives off a creepy vibe around women...wait, around everyone.   Gary might have a bit-o-jealousy, but I think he's more irritated with Chase because he has to be there and see it; we have only to watch it--or turn it off.

On 5/2/2023 at 4:59 AM, snarts said:

Getting a weird vibe from Chase re: the women. He reminds me of that Bryan guy from a early Below Deck season who'd get super irritated & aggressive when women would like someone else or turn down his advances. He thinks that because he's expressed an interest in her that everyone else should back, even when she's clearly flirting with the other guys. Not going to happen. 

EXACTLY!

• Like 3

Best guests ever,  in a rather uneventful charter and I loved it! 
I really do not mind charters just go smoothly without any (artificial) drama. I relaxes me.
I wish all guests were  like that, but judging from next week's preview, we go back to "factory settings"..
As for the crew hanging out and the "mating" shenanigans, I could not care less, except for finding quite amusing that lady/client in the restaurant who was visibly annoyed by the noise our crew was producing. 

I still find Gary creepy. All women seem to be just accommodation for his dick, and I find his flirting way too aggressive. 
I really doubt in a real life work environment he would  be allowed to behave like this.

• Like 6

Usually they warm up with a half dozen to a dozen episodes before the cast are at each others throats.

Chase coming for Gary on the first charter he returns?  Most of the things he supposedly muttered under his breath was with his face turned away from the camera so they could have dubbed that in post.

if they feel they have to keep faking drama to keep viewers turning in …

• Like 1
On 5/3/2023 at 7:17 PM, aqusdealer said:

What is this device you speak of called iron?

Please come sit next to me. I'm the one in the wrinkled shirt. (I hate to iron. When I was working, I used to say that I was employed so I could pay my drycleaner to press things.)

On 5/5/2023 at 3:42 PM, Back Atcha said:

Not sure Chase so "genuine."  He's eager to prove that he's so much smarter and better than everyone else. He gives off a creepy vibe around women...wait, around everyone.   

I definitely do not get a "creepy" vibe from Chase as he's not done anything to warrant that. However, I do get an awkward, inexperienced vibe from Chase when he's interacting with others. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he was a loner who only interacted with family, while growing up. I'm curious to learn what his high school experience was.

• Like 1