Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: A Baby with Wings, a Sad Boy with Wings and a Great Helmet

• Start Topic

This had some serious Monty Python vibes for me which makes me wonder if we're going to get thematic allusions to every piece of pop culture that references The Holy Grail.  The German Nazis in the first two episodes certainly felt like an homage to Indiana Jones.  

I really enjoyed this episode the most out of the three.  

• Like 1

This show is really uneven. Parts are interesting and parts are exhausting. The exhausting parts are when it thinks it's so quirky and the writers just draw it out, like the scene with the cowboy or the loooooong drawn out explaination at Excalibattle.

I have to say if hot Jesus teleports me to a restaurant, feeds me Falafel and looks at me like that. I'm going to leave my boyfriend, too.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5

Huh, when Simone said "Yes, Jesus" to his marriage proposal, she meant it literally.

If that Jesus teleports me to his gloomy restaurant and serves me Falafel, I will ask him to send me back, ASAP.

So, young Lizzie and young Wiley received & shared liver from the same adult. Quite an origin story.

This is the episode that I enjoyed the least, among all four. Too much draggy scenes involving Excalibattle.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Are we supposed to believe that the scenes in the diner are real? Or are they a figment of Simone's imagination? I'm a little with Wiley on being pissed about that - kind of crazy. I want to know more about his "expiration date"......

I don't understand what is going on with her parents, but I'm guessing we'll find out.......

I did laugh at the whole "excalibattle" set up - looks like some kind of Ren Faire and then that's all it was - a game of attrition - no actual "battles" of any kind! And then that little tiny ribbon - ha!!!!!

Every episode I think this is so weird, but I keep watching. I just love Betty Gilpin. She was great in Glow, and she's awesome in this.

• Like 3

Ah, a man makes an entrance - that should be good. Of course Tom Wlaschiha never gets to play a German because Germans on US shows always have atrocious accents no German could pull off (so in this instance there was actually a good reason for the fake accent).

So just like me, Mum does not believe Dad to be dead. And Mrs. Davis can talk about her - the glitch just occurs when Simone says 'mother'.

What exactly is Mrs. Davis doing with all the folks getting killed for their wings? Soylent green? Batteries?

On 4/21/2023 at 11:41 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

This show is really uneven. Parts are interesting and parts are exhausting. The exhausting parts are when it thinks it's so quirky

I am enjoying the quirkiness tremendously and I would not say that I find it uneven. The digressions have the same tone as the forward progress to me. However one episode is too much for me in one sitting so I have to watch them in 3 or 4 chunks to avoid overload. 

Maybe I will be annoyed later if none of the payoff is interesting but for now it's fun to speculate and anticipate and sift through what is relevant and what might be a red herring.   

• Like 1
On 4/30/2023 at 9:45 PM, tkc said:

Excalibattle = Season 1 Survivor...

Having to keep your hand on some thing to win it wasn't exactly invented by survivor.

1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I am enjoying the quirkiness tremendously and I would not say that I find it uneven. The digressions have the same tone as the forward progress to me. However one episode is too much for me in one sitting so I have to watch them in 3 or 4 chunks to avoid overload. 

Ymmv. I usually love quirky stuff, but this show overdoes it and it often seems forced, at least in the first few episodes. It does get better later.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Having to keep your hand on some thing to win it wasn't exactly invented by survivor.

It reminded me of an excellent 1997 documentary called "Hands on a Hard Body" which was an endurance competition to win a pickup truck.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Ymmv. I usually love quirky stuff, but this show overdoes it and it often seems forced, at least in the first few episodes. It does get better later.

I took it as setting my expectations to recognize that everything will be weird and deranged and silly and I have to accept that the laws of my universe do not apply even though it is set in 2023. 

8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I took it as setting my expectations to recognize that everything will be weird and deranged and silly and I have to accept that the laws of my universe do not apply even though it is set in 2023. 

Yeah I get that. Doesn't change that this was too much and really forced at times. Quirky and weird is not fun if it feels like a checklist somebody is working through rather than something organic.

(edited)

In this episode and the previous one, different people say that Simone has been in a convent for the past 10 years but I thought the flashback to her romantic relationship with Wiley is supposed to take place 7 or 8 years ago. Or did I get the timeline wrong, or maybe they were just rounding up?

It was fun to see Tim McInnerny and Tom Wlaschiha is always welcome.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 2